In 1997, Creative Director Courtney Betley and Senior Art Director Julia Cadar set out to create the World's Most Wanted Wiener for Wienerschnitzel, with TDO coming to mind. The character of The Delicious One (or TDO) began as a Claymation character, created and voiced by Thomas and developed by Loose Moose in London (who was beginning work in the United States) in 1999. This early version of TDO had misread every situation; somewhat naive, TDO thought everyone always wanted him around due to his delightful personality and charm, only to quickly discover in almost every situation that they wanted to him for more nefarious reasons (they wanted to eat him). He was constantly on the run, trying to escape the clutches of hungry people.
Shortly after TDO's fame, Wienerschnitzel released antennas with TDO holding a small, yellow box with a scared expression. There are alternate versions of this antenna (one with TDO wearing an Uncle Sam hat). TDO was last featured in the advertisements in 2008. In 2011, Wienerschnitzel released antennas known as the Golden Wienie.
He has not appeared in any commercials that depict his CGI, speaking self since 2008. He's only been in animated form or as a costume. Some Wienerschnitzel fans have made petitions demanding his return in CGI capacity.
- And I Must Scream: Whenever humans chase him.
- Anthropomorphic Food: He has limbs, eyes, a mouth, can talk, he is the Delicious One.
- Butt-Monkey: TDO himself.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: In the "Human Resources" commercial, TDO files a complaint to the HR department as while the camera is in his perspective shows his male co-workers from the window taunting him while the HR woman talks about inappropriate advances.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In what is probably the chili dog chain's dirtiest, raunchiest commercial that can be considered sexist to men, "Gotcha" features a woman grabbing a man's penis thinking it was TDO.
- Humans Are Bastards: In TDO's perspective.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: They do seem like literally giant monsters in TDO's eyes.
- Idiot Ball: TDO once filed a complaint to his workplace's Human Resources of inappropriate advances. The thing is — he is a hot dog, so he has no human rights.
- Mascot: The Delicious One is the official mascot of Wienerschnitzel.
- Nice Guy: TDO is a friendly, pleasant, loyal, caring chili dog with a good heart of gold. However, he can sometimes be quite nervous, paranoid, and anxiety-ridden. This is most likely due to the fear of most people wanting to eat him.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: He is only known as TDO or The World's Most Wanted Wiener rather than a given, singular name.
- Saying Too Much: Somewhere in a cold land, Eskimos and the TDO are having blubber. He complains they've already had that for every meal now, even though there isn't any other food to eat besides blubber and him.
- Too Dumb to Live: TDO argues they should instead switch to hot and spicy foods. One Eskimo suggests, "Like a chili dog?" TDO responds with glee at first, but realizes in half-a-second the dilemma he just put himself in.TDO: Blubber is good! LOOK! (shakes the blubber) It jiggles!
- Too Dumb to Live: TDO argues they should instead switch to hot and spicy foods. One Eskimo suggests, "Like a chili dog?" TDO responds with glee at first, but realizes in half-a-second the dilemma he just put himself in.