An internet comic strip for unsafe workers and childish grown-ups
NSFW Comix is a weekly series of not safe for work comics
by Cybersp0nge, with an occasional guest comic. While the series covers a variety of topics, many of these comics revolve around a pervert loser Cuthwald and his four companions Becky, Grant, Psymantha and Spatula.
The same author is also well-known for his parody flash, The Ultimate
Showdown Orgy of Ultimate Destiny
Homosexuality (which eventually had a censored version to show to your grandma
).No links. At all.
This comic provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Of each and every other webcomic on teh Internets (needs citation). OK, in any case, of xkcd. Megan and Cueballs discussion about the ontological implications of Rule34 are mind-baffling. note
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents:
- Tentacle Boy's mother.
- One strip involves a couple of parents who were just too happy about seeing their son see a porn popup and therefore assume he wants to be a porn star.
- Anti-Hero: Batman. In NSFW Comix, he is a <insert anything here>-molester.
- Art Evolution: As the comic is more than five years old now, it shows.
- Author Avatar: Cybersp0nge is seen in anime form in the comics.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: A conversation at an employee work party accidentally spun into this in one of the early strips.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Cuthwald has a hot sister, although the act was averted, then subverted, THEN played straight.
- Censored for Comedy: Visual example. Of course the censoring makes it only more NSFW...
- Characterization Marches On: Cuthwald started out as just a standard socially maladjusted geek.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Comrade Sperminov and Dude Sperm.
- Dirty Mind-Reading: Cuthwald's mind is a terrible thing to read, as a couple of strips had demonstrated. Even Dom Cobb wished to unsee it.
- Distaff Counterpart: Danielle is this to Cuthwald, in the story line where Cuthwald sought a love interest online.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Demonstrated at least a few times in the series.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Before they got personalities, Spatula and Grant were the nameless employees at Burger Barn. Becky's first appearance was as Tentacle Boy's teacher.
- Enhance Button: A disgruntled fan used it on one of the strips from a few issues prior to it, which revealed instructions to conceal Becky's penis to make it resemble a vagina.
- Even Evil Has Standards: There are certain comics Cybersp0nge's boss can accept, as Cybersp0nge learned the hard way...
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: It's a comic, and it's NSFW (although the degree of work-unsafeness varies extremely from the harmless American Pie-ish joke to the thermonuclear gross-out).
- Fanservice: "Act III: Noodz!" of The Death of Cuthwald as a response to several requests by fans for Becky to be drawn nude. All four of Cuthwald's companions had some degree of full-frontal nudity.
- Fan Disservice - Around the same time, Spatula temporarily becomes Cuthwald and Becky has a penis.
- Flanderization: Cuthwald started out as just an archetypical socially awkward nerd before evolving into... what he is now.
- Gag Boobs: Womanly Woman in the comic with Manly Man as a lumberjack. Also Becky in one of the strips, in what may also be a candidate for Torpedo Tits.
- Gag Penis: Becky.
- Manly Man. He even wears a watch on it in "Manly Menstruation".
- Gamer Chick: Apparently, Psymantha is one. She'd even marry Mario.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: When Grant and Spatula have a bet over whether Cuthwald is still as perverted as before, they are talking to him as if they were the Good and Bad angel, and the background provides strategically placed horns, wings and halo.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: The Brahs. No homo.
- Heroic BSOD: Grant, Psymantha and Spatula upon seeing that Becky not only has a penis, but that she uses it to jerk off to pictures of Cuthwald.
- Earlier, Psymantha and Grant had one upon finding a naked Cuthwald under their bed while they're naked.
- Hypocritical Humor: A rare meta example occurs in the storyline with Cuthwalds 2D waifu safehaven bar. Of course, none of the in-universe 3D characters know that they are 2D in the comics itself...
- I Ate WHAT?: Earlier comics have Spatula jacking off into the food while working as a Burger Barn cook. Also, that's what you get for stealing Grant's cookies as one early strip demonstrated.
- In the story arc with Barack Obama visiting, subverted. He was initially displeased with a burger assumed jizzed upon by Grant being pressured by Spatula. However, it turned out that not only did Grant use Mayo to get Spatch off his case, but the "special sauce" was a result of a misplaced burger originally meant for an irate customer back when Obama was visiting as Senator. Obama returned because he swore that he had the best burger he ever tasted there.
- Intercontinuity Crossover: When Cuthwald was assumed dead he started appearing in City 17 in Life With Lamarr. When Cuthwald was revealed to have been alive, Manly Man was seen reading a newspaper dismissing Cuthwald sightings in City 17.
- Jumping the Shark: Interpreted literally, at the climax of a storyline that ran for over a year and a half.
- "Just So" Story: Almost always applied to poor Tentacle Boy.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Cuthwald creates an outrageously manly persona to pick up chicks online. It works, but not without consequences.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: "OH, CUTHWALD!"
- Negative Continuity: In some early comics, Cuthwald gets killed (not in the They Killed Kenny frequency though) or sent to prison and somehow returns at his next appearance without any explanation between the events.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: There are many celebrity caricatures.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: Dinosaurgy
- Porn Stash: Cuthwald has one behind his comic book shelf. And it also happens to be where he stores the spooge he keeps in jars.
- Psmith Psyndrome: Psymantha. Why her name is spelled this way is never brought up. She does claim to be graduating in psychology, but any possible connection between this degree programme and her name is not implied either.
- Raging Stiffie: While not actually used, Manly Man's lengthy rant about the curse of the male libido (which tells even geriatric men that they should "SCREW!") references this trope heavily.
- Rated M for Manly: Manly Man. Usually ends in Testosterone Poisoning (see below).
- Reluctant Monster: Tentacle Boy. Although partly subverted, since the line "The Chick notices he isn't attacking and discovers his true nature" is the opposite to what we've seen in the latest episode, where the chick notices he IS attacking and uncovers his true nature (much to his reluctance).
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Cuthwald. Oh, like that's a shock.
- Shaggy Dog Story: The "20-Year Old Virgin" storyline where Cuthwald's companions put in a lot of work to please him and it supposedly destroyed the world; to save the day they got a second chance and went the too-easy route for an anticlimactic ending.
- Soundtrack Dissonance - Yakety Sax was embedded as an optional soundtrack to the 300th comic's penultimate panel.
- Spoof Aesop: A running gag usually seen at the end of the comic.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Cuthwald and friends.
- Stealth Pun: In strip 18. Don't get it? Ask your parents.
- Take That: There's one for an Easter Egg in the credits screen after The Ultimate Orgy. There's a disclaimer stating that all characters real and imaginary were satirically used and not intended to slander or besmirch. Mousing over "real persons" also carries this message: Particularly in the case of Eric Bauman, because that is a true and accurate representation of him - He actually IS a cocksucker.note
- 10-Minute Retirement: Cybersp0nge "retired" for three months before proceeding with the Death of Cuthwald storyline. An entire storyline and some "celebrity guest comics" ensued, until one of them prompts him to return from "retirement".
- Tastes Like Diabetes: (in-universe) Parodied on April Fool's Day 2008. Subverted the next day.
- Teeny Weenie: Cuthwald.
- Testosterone Poisoning: Manly Man, and he's described as thus:
- Transsexual: Becky is a very well-endowed (top and bottom) non-op transwoman. Interestingly, she seems to get along with her penis rather well, meaning it's not clear if she's non-op because she's broke, or because she feels she doesn't need to.
- Unsound Effect:
- Vagina Dentata: Entrepreneurial Dan unsuccessfully made numerous sales pitches on these.
- You Didn't See That: Becky, when she first slips up about her big secret.
- You Need to Get Laid: Cuthwald. On second thought...