Soundtrack Dissonance: Yakety Sax
Watch anything at all with "Yakety Sax" by Boots Randolph playing in the background. Gorefests, rape scenes, 9/11 footage, land mines, Armageddon; doesn't matter. It'll usually be funny. Bonus points if clips are sped up to it. Although this has become a Running Gag in its own right, the Trope Maker was The Benny Hill Show.
- This is one of the possible exceptions to the rule, along with the Holocaust.
- It gets to the point where it (the 9/11 footage) stops crossing the line and starts to be a sort of cosmic joke. As in, "Hey, look at those stupid humans killing each other again. How amusing." I dunno, it seems like something Nyarlathotep would enjoy.
- Having said that, anything tragic from Real Life is valid grounds for Dude, Not Funny!, though.
- It works in reverse, too, such as The Benny Hill Show credits set to "Lux Aeterna".
- The Nostalgia Chick does this to bypass a couple of pointless scenes in Labyrinth.
Must...resist...urge to play Yakety Sax...
- Linkara uses it as well when he realises he's been backtracking on his Let's Play of Elite Force.
- The Cinema Snob lampshades this in his The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974 review during a scene with Leatherface chasing down his victim at night.
- Behold, the BennyHillifier! Just type any YouTube ID (the part following v=) into the box.
- One scene in AMV Hell 4 involves One Piece, Yackety Sax, and Scooby-Dooby Doors. And a Sight Gag every second. It's every bit as hilarious as it sounds.
- Hotel Rwanda. Your soul will darken as you try to restrain your laughter.
- It also remains the only thing one can sensibly have playing during Joker missions in Batman: Arkham Asylum, although that may be more Crosses the Line Twice.
- Tomers113's Let's Play of Eversion uses said music when dying many, many times on level six.
- Done excellently here using some of the more amusing (and violent) scenes in Clock Tower.
- Yakety Sax + Eminem + Doctor Who = Pure Crack
- The bonus scenes in the animutation Holy Shit, Ninjas! really benefitted from the use of Yakety Sax as its BGM.
- ESPN's Dallas radio station introduces the head coach of the Cowboys with this song whenever they cover one of his press conferences, to poke fun at his questionable toughness.
- Can Yakety Sax make the Nazis funny? You decide!
You make zie Fuehrer look like a fool!
- Freelance Astronauts. Shadow Temple. Hilarity ensues.
- the Instrumentality sequence from The End of Evangelion, with even more soundtrack dissonance!
- I Wanna Be The Guy gets some kind of atonement thanks to the Hillifier.
- Occurs in The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius episode "Who Framed Jimmy", when Jimmy, Carl and Sheen are chased by a bear through the woods. At one point, a butler comes out of nowhere and serves Carl a milkshake.
- A Youtube user played Yakety Sax during you-know-which-scene of Final Fantasy VII. The title counts as a Lampshade Hanging.
- Left 4 Dead, a game about zombies trying to kill you, becomes less serious and more hilarious when Yakety Sax plays when the Tank or the Witch appear and chase you.
- Asura's Wrath. Asskicking galore, now with more hilarity.
- Playing Yakity Sax simultaneously with it makes freaking Eversion's X-8 music sound cheery.
- Cutler Beckett's death scene from "At World's End," courtesy of the Benny Hillifier. Well, I think it's funny.
- "Queen of Let's Plays" MangaMinx sometimes uses this during her Let's Play videos of horror games at points where she keeps screwing up and dying in the same segment, accelerating the video speed while it plays until she finally gets through it.
- The Girl And The Echo. The Music is played during the girl's Trauma Conga Line, and conveys the mood of the bullies.
- Attempted with the Tear Jerker scene of The Lion King.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rN70uvD1Ug Let's try the reverse... shall we?
- Robot Chicken had the song playing during Hill's funeral.
- Movie Scenes
- Bill Corbett sings this in the RiffTrax of Twilight
- In this Freefall strip, when Sam sees a cop and instinctively starts running (even though for once he hasn't done anything wrong), Helix and Florence give us this gem.
Helix: Natural enemies often react on instinct. I am going to follow and provide a sound track.Florence: National Geographic would never have set one of their chases to "Yakety Sax."
- Here's one of the climactic chariot race from Ben Hur.
- Can the main event of Victory Road 2011 be made hilarious by throwing Yakety Sax into it? Let's find out!
- This sets The Passion of the Christ to "Yakety Sax" and includes some Benny Hill sound effects for extra wrongness.
- Watch as cars slide on snow and crash into each other to "Yakety Sax".
- Somebody played this over the SA-X scenes in Metroid: Fusion, calling it "Yakety SA-X". Possibly subverted, since the video was actually intended to showoff the SA-X's Artificial Stupidity.
- Godzilla vs Benny Hill. Then again, perhaps "dissonance" might be not be an accurate term since the music perfectly compliments the Narm Charm of the scene, particularly Godzilla's awe-inspiring tail-slide dropkick.