Complex Things Explained
C.G.P. Grey is an Educational YouTube
r whose 3rd video, “The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England” went viral in 2011. As of May 2014, he now has about 1,300,000 subscribers. His videos can be found at http://www.youtube.com/user/CGPGrey
. He also takes part in a podcast alongside Brady Haran called "Hello Internet" that can be found here: http://www.hellointernet.fm/
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: In his video "This Video Will Hurt", listing what people believe cause allergies:
…people get sick from WiFi or windfarms or windfarms with WiFi…
- Brown Note: He places a faintly-audible sound in "This Video Will Hurt" that will cause sickness in listeners...is what he claimed in order to make viewers think that, so he can provide viewers with a firsthand example of the nocebo effect.
- The Cameo: Grey has had many in other YouTuber’s videos:
- He appeared in "Favourite Numbers" and "Numbers confuse Americans" from Numberphile.
- Catchphrase: “Hello, Internet”
- Don't Try This at Home: When discussing the law you won't be told:
- Homage: Hank Green’s vlogbrothers video, "Apples! (CGP Grey style)" is this to C.G.P Grey’s videos.
- When discussing a hypothetical "Videocators Guild", CGP Grey in its coat of arms includes, besides his own logo, the logos of MinutePhysics, Vi Hart and CrashCourse.
- Motor Mouth: In his United Kingdom video, he lists off about dozen or so countries in the Commonwealth Realm at a very rapid pace. He also blurts out a very fast disclaimer in The Law You Won't Be Told.
- Nations as People: From "How Many Countries are There?" on. In earlier videos, they are either depicted as flags or have speech bubbles on a map.
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: In the "How Many Countries are There" video, when talking about China–Taiwan relations:
Grey: Thus, the innocent question "how many countries?" has led us straight to a big 'World War III: Press Here To Start' button which is getting depressing so let's move on to...
Shows map of West Bank and Gaza
Grey: ohhhh, right. *sigh* No more politics.
- Non-Indicative Name: Grey's pet peeve.
This message has been brought to you by The Society of People who Think that Names Should Mean Something.
- Though, his own logo is a case of this: while it depicts science and technology, and the man wanted to make videos about the two fields since he thinks that they are the most important, most of his videos are about history, politics and nomenclature.
- Running Gag: The History Channel
- Something Completely Different: Once discusses Reddit.
- His video "History of the Union Jack" has him not speak at all.
- His video "Humans need no apply" about automation has a outright serious and existential tone.
- The Voice: Grey considers himself ‘a pretty private person,’ so in most of his videos, he becomes this trope. When appearing as himself, however, various methods are employed to hide his identitly. These include framing his face out (People Pronouncing Uranus video), or standing behind a tree in Numberphile’s "Favourite Numbers" videos.
- In Vlogbrothers videos where he is in frame, he is usually censored with a large black box, sometimes annotated with his name. (The same courtesy extended to John Green's wife, "The Yeti")