IT'S. ABOUT. TIME.
TIME. MOVES. ONLY. WHEN. YOU. MOVE.
Built by ten developers for the 7 day fps challenge, SUPERHOT is an interesting little shooter with a different kind of gameplay: Time will only move when you move. If youíre standing still, time will (almost) stand still. If you move, bullets continue to speed past you and your enemies will start shooting again.
Once youíve used up a gunís clip, you throw the gun away
because A: youíre motivated to scoop up another piece from a dead enemy or take them down up close and personal, and B: it's friggin' cool.
The game can be played here
and can be found on Steam Greenlight here.
The following tropes are contained in this game:
- Anticlimax: Yes, this is just a trial version at the moment, but the current ending involves killing a CEO with no effort other than a single click.
- Bottomless Magazines: For the enemies, anyway. You'll still run out after a few shots.
- Bullet Time: Constantly.
- Concealment Equals Cover: In the museum level, panes of glass will absorb the first shot then break. This makes the level progressively harder as more panes get smashed, since you've got almost nothing to hide behind.
- Cool Shades: The enemies sport these.
- Dodge the Bullet: The Bullet Time mechanic allows you to do this a lot. Doubly so in the third level, which sees you running down a stretch of corridor with three Mooks firing at you, dodging their bullets as you go. Rule of Cool, indeed.
- Follow the Plotted Line: The final boss fight. After you kill the boss, a window will break and the Commander will order you to jump through it. There's no other way to progress, but you do get a couple of demanding messages if you try to walk away.
- Jump Scare: While it might be unintentional, the appearance of the commander's head can easily be this (even if you're expecting it).
- Large Ham: The Commander in the last level. Every line he says is pure gold.
- Literal-Minded/Stealth Pun: Boss fight. As in, a fight with a CEO, who is unarmed and does nothing to defend himself.
- Minimalism: There are no colors aside from red, white and gray. The enemies have no details other than their sunglasses and pistols.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Any bullet damage is an instant death, even if it'd presumably only hit you in the foot.
- Enemies, too, die instantly to one bullet or melee attack.
- Painfully Slow Projectile: Even when moving, the bullets move much slower than they would in real life.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: The on-screen text appears as a non-verbal example of this. One word is printed at a time, accompanied by the sound of a camera shutter.
- Shoot the Bullet: It requires timing and positioning, but it is still very possible.
- Throw Away Guns: Each pistol only carries five bullets, so throwing them away is a given.