"Your name is Sora... Because you're just like the sky... Beautiful, dignified, and full of life."
— Sora's parents
"Father... Mother... The sky... Isn't beautiful at all... I want to clean up this sky!"sora
— Sora, sora's teaser trailer from Accleration of SUGURI
is a follow-up to the fan-acclaimed SUGURI
, a horizontally-scrolling doujin Shoot 'em Up
by Orange_Juice and it was released during Comiket 78 for Windows PC.
Just like its predecessor, it stars an eponymous protagonist who must fight her way through waves of Mecha-Mooks
with a boss waiting at end of each stage while trying to save the world. sora
's storyline takes place on a once peaceful world being ravaged by an ongoing war. It was a war that brought chaos, death, destruction, and the end of any moral values that will ultimately bring an end to all life on Earth. This is where Sora is unwillingly sent into battle to settle the score, when all she wants is to bring back the Earth to it's former glory.
Like Suguri before her, Sora can amass a large arsenal of weapons at her disposal, ranging from beam rifles
, beam swords
, and even a pile bunker thrown in for good measure. The game maintains its trademark dashing and lock-on shooting gameplay from its predecessor, but unlike our previous silver-haired heroine, Sora's able use to three weapons instead of two (generally an energy weapon, a ballistics weapon, and a close-range weapon). The game also improved on its combo-based scoring system, adding more emphasis on funneling through enemy fire to restore some lost life energy and building up energy for your Hyper Attacks
unfortunately received a terribly-made English localization by an Internet troll
under the company name of ΩTH (who turned out be FalcomGameFan) on June 1st, 2012. It involves use of such terms as "reploids
" when the characters are actually referred to as "altered humans", a few name changes
that threw its Theme Naming
off, copy-protection to botch the game from being playable after purchase, Idiot Programming
, and above all else, a terrible translation
of the game. Not only that, but they even started copyright flagging videos of the game on YouTube
. Fans of the previous SUGURI
series localized by Rockin' Android aren't happy about this, thus leading to an online petition being formed to get the game professionally localized by someone else. If you wish to save this game from its terrible localization, please do so here
before it, sora
was followed up with a Shoot 'em Up
hybrid with Acceleration of SUGURI 2
released a year later during Comiket 80 in 2011. The game features both the heroines and boss characters of their respective game as playable characters, a Story Mode*
, an Arcade Mode, a local and online Versus Mode. During it's initial release however, lacked certain key features originally planned for the game and suffered from character balance issues. Thankfully, the Orange_Juice took action and fixed many of the game's issues through patches.sora
's official Japanese website can be viewed here
and Acceleration of SUGURI 2
's website can be viewed here
Not to be confused with a certain Keyblade wielder
These games provide examples of:
- Action Girl: Sora, whether she likes it or not.
- Advancing Wall of Doom: Stage 4's boss, Sham, uses this as part of her attack patterns.
- all lowercase letters: It's title, contrast to it's predecessor.
- An Ice Person: Tsih.
- Apocalypse How: The war between humans and altered humans brought destruction to Earth as it made very the air to support any lifeforms toxic and ultimately uninhabitable.
- Art Evolution: A huge improvement from the artist in terms of the art-style and overall visual quality in sora compared to SUGURI. The same goes for Acceleration of SUGURI 2 compared to its predecessor.
- Attack Drone: Sora can use the Pod weapon much like Suguri.
- Background Boss: The mid-stage of Stage 5 in sora.
- Also the first two phases of the final battle with Starbreaker in Stage 7 in said game.
- The final battle in Acceleration of SUGURI 2's Story Mode when Sumika Turns Red.
- Barrier Warrior: Nath specializes on defensive tactics to reflect energy-based attacks.
- Beam Spam: Oh boy does sora deliver on this. The Artillery weapon also qualifies.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: The English lyrics incorporated in "Le Train" and "Grand blue" songs from sora.
- The same goes for "Remember me" in Acceleration of SUGURI 2.
- And then there's sora's English localization by ΩTH, which is getting much backlash from the fans of previous SUGURI games localized by Rockin' Android.
- Blow You Away: Mira.
- Boss Game: SUGURI's Match Match returns in sora, and some bosses have special attacks seen only in this mode.
- Bullet Hell: Very much like it's predecessor.
- Captain Ersatz: Starbreaker has Technicolor Eyes, long, pastel-blue hair, wears a black skin-tight bodysuit during the final sequences of sora's story, as well as being bound to a spherical object of doom in said game. A lolified post-time skip Princess Nia, anyone?
- Charged Attack: Rifle-C. Other weapons can use a charged shot as well.
- Combos: The damage you deal to enemies are used as part of score, though unlike SUGURI the combo meter stops during moments where player transitions from one area to the next.
- Cute Little Fangs: Tsih has them in Acceleration of SUGURI 2.
- Defeat Means Friendship: In a similar fashion to the original SUGURI; Sora and Suguri quickly made up after their scuffle during the events of the True Final Boss battles.
- Downer Ending: The game ends with Sora slowly plummeting back to Earth, with hopes that the skies above will clear up after stopping Starbreaker from unleashing an Earth-Shattering Kaboom as a last-ditch effort to destroy Sora along with the planet.
- Golden Ending: During the EX Stage, Sora notices the sky is still black and toxic while descending to Earth, realizing her efforts of trying to save the Earth are for naught. She then finds Hime and Suguri on Earth and blames them for the fighting that ruined the world and then proceeds to attack them. Once the fighting was over, Suguri reveals to Sora that in the end, she saved the world and the sky has returned the beautiful clear blue color she once remembered from her childhood.
- Dub Name Change: In ΩTH's English localization of sora, the names changes as follows: Tsih's name was changed to Telos, Sham was changed to Siri, and Nath was changed to Nadius.
- Frickin' Laser Beams
- Expy: Sora to Suguri, as The Heroine of their respective shoot 'em up games.
- Mira to Kae, both of which are good at close encounters and can use reflecting projectile attacks.
- Nath to Kyoko as they both focus on defensive tactics during battle.
- And Starbreaker to Shifu, both of which are the Big Bad of their respective shoot 'em up games with a desire to destroy the world and all of it's inhabitants.
- Genki Girl: Tsih.
- Genre Shift: The True Final Battle with Suguri in sora's EX Stage is turned into a fight straight out of Acceleration of SUGURI.
- The final battle with Sumika in Acceleration of SUGURI 2's Story Mode is also reminiscent to the final battle with Starbreaker in sora.
- Graphics-Induced Super-Deformed
- Gratuitous English: In sora, it features the songs "Le Train", "Grand blue", and sora's version of "Rendezvous"* , all of which incorporates English vocals instead of Japanese, although some of songs have mistranslated lyrics.
- Acceleration of SUGURI 2 has "Swordfish" and "Remember me", both of which are also sung in English. The latter does suffer from mistranslated lyrics; the former on the other hand, not as much.
- High Altitude Battle: The final areas of sora.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: Mira.
- Humongous Mecha: Nath pilots one. It's even capable of transforming to more powerful forms.
- Improbably Female Cast: To a similar extent of SUGURI.
- Kick the Dog, Kick Them While They Are Down: This happens to Nath in sora by Starbreaker's hands after Sora defeats her.
- Kill It with Fire: The Flamethrower.
- Laser Blade: Sora can use one, and she knows how to use it.
- Lightning Gun: The Shock weapon.
- Limit Break: Hyper Attacks also returns in sora and Acceration of SUGURI 2, but players can now chose either Standard* and Advanced* modes to invoke the Hyper Attacks.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Like Suguri, via the Launcher weapon. Stage 1 also opens with this, although this trope is invoked in many places of the game.
- Mad Bomber and Playing with Fire: Starbreaker.
- Martial Pacifist: Sora.
- Meaningful Name: Sora's parents named her after the Japanese word for "sky", referring to how beautiful they are, although it doesn't seem like the sky is beautiful at all in the game at first; after the battle with Hime and Suguri in the EX Stage, the black and toxic skies returns to its beautiful, clear blue color again, thus Sora fulfilled her dream of returning the Earth to the way it was.
- Mook Maker: Sham can summon robots as her reinforcement. Because of this, she also doubles as Flunky Boss.
- More Dakka: The Machine Gun, but then again, this game is a Bullet Hell shooter after all.
- No Continue Run: Required to unlock the secret characters and their respective stages in Acceleration of SUGURI 2.
- Obvious Beta: The initial version of Acceleration of SUGURI 2, it had character balance issues and lacked some features originally intended upon release like the Story Mode. Thankfully these problem were remedied by v1.3.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Starbreaker. She is willing to destroy everything.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Alte.
- Rank Inflation: sora and Acceleration of SUGURI 2 does this just as their predecessors did.
- Ray Gun: The Rifle series of beam-rifles.
- Reflecting Laser: Nath can use mirror-like barriers that can reflect laser beams back at her opponents.
- Roboteching: Orange_Juice loves their arching lasers and missiles in this game.
- Rose-Haired Girl: Alte.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Mira wears one.
- Scoring Points
- Shifting Sand Land: Stage 3 in sora.
- Shock and Awe: Alte and Sham uses some electrical attacks.
- Shoot 'em Up: sora, just as SUGURI before it.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: Stage 2 in sora.
- Spread Shot: Rifle-S.
- Theme Naming: The bosses' names save for the final boss in the original Japanese material are named after stars.
- Title Drop: After the credits from sora's EX Stage, it was revealed that the is game is titled as SUGURI II.
- Token Mini-Moe: Tsih and Starbreaker.
- True Final Boss: Two in fact, Hime and Suguri in the EX Stage of v1.1EX in sora.
- Turns Red
- Villainous BSOD: Starbreaker has one after Sora beats her in Stage 7 of sora. Let's just say that she doesn't take defeat very well.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Rifle-M, the Artillery, and the Buster's Limit Break. Some enemies and bosses uses this as well.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Tsih and Nath and also Starbreaker.
- Zerg Rush: Sham has a Hyper Attack in Acceleration of SUGURI 2 where she summons a swarm of robots to rush in and bombard opponents.