is a Fighting Game Spin-Off
of the popular Pokémon
series. It is being developed by the team at Bandai Namco
that produced the popular Tekken
As the name suggests
, it's basically an instalment in the Tekken
series that features Pokémon as the characters. Although it sounds like this is a game made for fully-evolved Fighting-types, other types and non-evolved Pokemon are also included. The game will release in arcades in 2015.
See the first trailer here
Tropes that apply to Pokkén Tournament
- Diving Kick: Lucario performs one on Machamp. Presumably the move is High Jump Kick.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Machamp appears to have a lariat-style move where it outstretches its arms and spins around.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Lucario's Aura Sphere, as usual.
- Licensed Game: From the brief teaser, the game seems to draw more stylistic influence from the tv show than the source games. Most notably, Lucario's Bone Rush is portrayed identically to how it's used in the anime, while the games tend to associate it with actual bones. This makes Pokken the rare example of The Game Of The Anime Of The Game. Though of course, the inspiration might really not come from there.
- Mythology Gag:
- The stage shown in the first trailer is based on Pallet Town, appropriately enough, being the starting point for the series.
- Lucario seems to be able to use Force Palm exactly the way it does so in Super Smash Bros..
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: One of Machamp's attacks. With four arms. Yikes.
- Simple Staff: Some of Lucario's combos include a stylized Bone Rush.
- Super Mode: Mega Lucario appears, though there's no word about if it's a separate character or some kind of super move yet.