Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 09 E 04 Werewolf
Film watched: Werewolf. Since the episode aired in 1998 and the film was released in 1996, it represents the newest film the show had ever riffed.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation has examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay:Crow: So, err, Mike, you didn't actually go out with a guy called Steve who died, did you?Mike: Well, it's funny, there is this story... WE'VE GOT MOVIE SIGN!
- And His Eyes Open: "Aaand she's a werewolf."
- Berserk Button: Yuri seems to have several, for no apparent reason.
- Black Best Friend: LampshadedMike: Elgin's my black friend!
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: After Sam is almost killed:Sam: I'm the good guy!
Crow: Right, folks?
- Butt Monkey: Let's just say this episode was the beginning of the constant jokes on Joe Estevez.
- Captain Obvious Reveal: In-universe, Mike and the bots all guessed the ending that both Paul and Natalie have become werewolves. Subverted in that Servo declares they didn't really change - they just joined the cast of Cats.
- Corpsing: A notable example—Servo utterly loses it when Crow does the "Kirk Douglas' house" riff.
- Credits Gag: Mike and the 'bots sing along to the movie's end credits, substituting lyrics from other songs—complete with harmonizing:Mike: Pow Wow the Indian boy
Loved all the animals in the westServo: Well they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the places where a rabbit wouldn't go noteCrow: Gypsies, tramps and thieves
We heard it from the people of the town.Lady-o-da lady-o-da lay-hee-hoo!
Servo: Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa ClausRight down Santa Claus lane.
All: TUSK!Crow: Giveitaway, giveitaway, giveitaway now!
Giveitaway, giveitaway, giveitaway now!Mike: I've got a brand new pair of roller skates
You've got a brand new key noteAll: TUSK!
Servo: Admiral Halsey notified me
—>He had to have a bath or he couldn't get to sleep note
Crow: And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoonLittle Boy Blue and the Man in the Moon
Mike: In your Easter bonnetWith all the frills upon it note
Servo: One Night in Bangkok makes a strong man crumble!Crow: Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry
When I take you out in the surreyMike: We were merely Freshmen note
All: Oh Suzanna, oh don't you cry for me'Cause I come from Alabama with a banjo on my knee
- Crying Indian: One of the riffs is based on this.Crow: (As a distressed Native American) There's just so much litter on the highway.
- Dull Surprise: Natalie, when she's told about the werewolf legend.Natalie Dis is absulootely fashcinatung.
- Establishing Shot: One for the hospital lingers a little too long.Servo: Man, they're establishing the hell out of this building, here!
- Fake American: Which accounts for several other tropes listed here.Yuri: It's the American way.
Servo: Even though we haven't see an American in this movie yet.
- Fan Nickname: Thanks to a certain actor's questionable English, the film earned the nickname, Warwiff.
- Genius Bonus: "This reminds me of the time I hit the reporter with Piltdown Man's thighbone!" Piltdown Man a) was an infamous fraud and b) consisted entirely of skull and jaw fragments.
- "Basquiat is in danger!"
- Girl Group: Mike and the bots play as one in one of the skits.
- Grammar Nazi:Noel: In due time, you'll know everything.
Natalie: Well, maybe then it's too late!
Mike: Wow. The future conditional pluperfect subjunctive.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Bill, Kevin and Mike's mocking of Natalie's accent is strikingly similar to their mocking of Johnny's accent in The Room.
- Hypocritical Humor: Why Servo is unfamiliar with James Lipton."Hell, I don't watch cable."
- Identity Amnesia: In the first host sequence, Mike trips over Tom's yam collection and hits his head, causing him to think he's James Lipton.
- I Resemble That Remark:Crow: (as Yuri) Call me a psychopath?!? I'll kill your whole family if you say that again!
Mike: (as Yuri) I can't believe people call me a psycho— I'm gonna take those people's heads and carve 'em into ashtrays!
- And later:
- It's Pronounced Tro-PAY: Many riffs courtesy of the Fake American cast.Servo: (as Natalie) Paul! You is a warwilf!!
- Lame Pun Reaction: When Servo sees the title "Werewolf" and reacts, "I don't know! You had him last!", Crow is disgusted by the lameness of the pun and states Mike will punish him for its pure lameness. Fortunately for Servo, Mike sort of likes it.
- Later, Mike makes a joke about the movie The Fan over a shot of Paul's ceiling fan, causing Crow to shout "Now come on!"
- Monster Misogyny: Commented on as Werewolf!Paul attacks Carrie:Servo: Oh good, cause it's been a few minutes since a woman was brutalized.
- Multiboobage: Implied about Werewolf!Natalie by Crow.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Easily subverted.
- Crow: Freddy Krueger...Hellraisernote ...Paul!
- Noodle Incident: This brief exchange following the "Where, Oh, Werewolf" song:Crow: Say, Mike, you didn't really go out with a guy named Steve who died, did you?
Mike: Well, you know, there is story-
- To say nothing of how Servo obtained some of Mike's essence.
- Notable Original Music: "Where, Oh, Werewolf" and the "Credits Song".
- No Fourth Wall: In the movie, Yuri has a couple moments where he looks directly at the camera.Crow (as Yuri): What do you think, folks? Should I follow him?
- The Other Darrin: Lampshaded, as Crow (who changed voice actors when the show jumped to Sci-Fi) claims that one symptom of being a Were-Crow is that "Your voice will inexplicably change every seven years".
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: When Mike trips over Crow and gets scratched, he turns into a Were-Crow.
- Then Servo spills some of Mike's essence on himself and becomes a Were-Mike.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Humphrey the "wolf" (actually Kevin Murphy's pet dog).
- Running Gag: Carrie's pantslessness.
- Yuri's constantly changing hairstyle.
- Natalie's pidgin English. ("Pole! You iss a warwilf!")
- Sophisticated as Hell: "The cheeseball's got no freakin' class!"
- Stock Footage: "Same gas station."
- Take That: After repeated jokes about Natalie:Servo: Still, she's more emotive than Gillian Anderson.
- Teenage Death Songs: "Where O Werewolf" is one.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating:"Y'know, he'd get a lot more done if he didn't revel after each small victory."
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: "Hey, Paul, you're really turnin' into a Werewolf over there. Anyway, three-ball in the corner pocket!"
Tom Servo: "Oh look, it's two-for-one Brain Hammers tonight, Martha!"
- Not long after, Paul bursts out of the bar, attacks a few people, and two little old ladies walk right past the bodies to enter the bar:
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: In the film. Lampshaded when Yuri defends his greed by proclaiming "It's the American way!" which prompts a snide remark as to whether any actual Americans appeared in the film.Mike: They're the Uzbekistani Tracy and Hepburn!
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 09 E 03 Puma Man Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 09 E 05 The Deadly Bees
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 07 I Accuse My Parents Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 13 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 01 Cave Dwellers