Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 09 E 04 Werewolf
Film watched: Werewolf
- Ambiguously Gay:
Crow: So, err, Mike, you didn't actually go out with a guy called Steve who died, did you?
- And His Eyes Open: "Aaand she's a werewolf."
- Berserk Button: Yuri seems to have several, for no apparent reason.
- Black Best Friend: Lampshaded
Mike: Elgin's my black friend!
- Butt Monkey: Let's just say this episode was the beginning of the constant jokes on Joe Estevez.
- Corpsing: A notable example—Mike utterly loses it when Crow does the "Kirk Douglas' house" riff.
- Credits Gag: Mike and the 'bots sing along to the movie's end credits, substituting lyrics from other songs—complete with harmonizing:
Well they ran through the breyers and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the places where a rabbit wouldn't go note
I've got a brand new pair of roller skates
You've got a brand new key note TUSK!
In your Easter bonnet
With all the frills upon it note
We were merely Freshmen note
- Crying Indian: One of the riffs is based on this.
- Dull Surprise: Natalie, when she's told about the werewolf legend.
Natalie Dis is absulootely fashcinatung.
- Establishing Shot: One for the hospital lingers a little too long.
Servo: Man, they're establishing the hell out of this building, here!
- Fake American: Which accounts for several other tropes listed here.
Yuri: It's the American way.
Servo: Even though we haven't see an American in this movie yet.
- Fan Nickname: Thanks to a certain actor's questionable English, the film earned the nickname, Warwiff.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: When Yuri is following the freshly-werewolfed security guard, they drive past a gas station where the price of fuel is displayed as $1.45 on up. Crow comments on the high prices. However, nowadays...
Crow: Where are they, Port au Prince?
- Gag Boobs: Natalie.
Crow as Natalie: People say "rack" to me a lot. I wonder why.
- Genius Bonus: "This reminds me of the time I hit the reporter with Piltdown Man's thighbone!" Piltdown Man a) was an infamous fraud and b) consisted entirely of skull and jaw fragments.
- Girl Group: Mike and the bots play as one in one of the skits.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Bill, Kevin and Mike's mocking of Natalie's accent is strikingly similar to their mocking of Johnny's accent in The Room.
- Hypocritical Humor: Why Servo is unfamiliar with James Lipton.
"Hell, I don't watch cable."
- Identity Amnesia: In the first host sequence, Mike trips over Tom's yam collection and hits his head, causing him to think he's James Lipton.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Lampshaded when Servo sees the title "Werewolf" and reacts, "I don't know! You had him last!" Crow is disgusted by the lameness of the pun and states Mike will punish him for its pure lameness. Fortunately for Servo, Mike sort of likes it.
- Later, Mike makes a joke about the movie The Fan over a shot of Paul's ceiling fan, causing Crow to shout "Now come on!"
- I Resemble That Remark:
Crow: (as Yuri) Call me a psychopath?!? I'll kill your whole family if you say that again!
- Its Pronounced Tro PAY: Many riffs courtesy of the Fake American cast.
Servo: (as Natalie) Paul! You is a warwilf!!
- Monster Misogyny: Commented on as Werewolf!Paul attacks Carrie:
Servo: Oh good
, cause it's been a few minutes since a woman was brutalized.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Easily subverted.
- Noodle Incident: This brief exchange following the "Where, Oh, Werewolf" song:
Crow: Say, Mike, you didn't really go out with a guy named Steve who died, did you?
Mike: Well, you know, there is story-
- To say nothing of how Servo obtained some of Mike's essence.
- Notable Original Music: "Where, Oh, Werewolf" and the "Credits Song".
- No Fourth Wall: In the movie, Yuri has a couple moments where he looks directly at the camera.
Crow (as Yuri): What do you think, folks? Should I follow him?
- The Other Darrin: Lampshaded, as Crow (who changed voice actors when the show jumped to Sci-Fi) claims that one symptom of being a Were-Crow is that "Your voice will inexplicably change every seven years".
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: When Mike trips over Crow and gets scratched, he turns into a Were-Crow.
- Then Servo spills some of Mike's essence on himself and becomes a Were-Mike.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Humphrey the "wolf" (actually Kevin Murphy's pet dog).
- Running Gag: Carrie's pantslessness.
- Yuri's constantly changing hairstyle.
- Natalie's pidgin English. ("Pole! You iss a warwilf!")
- Sophisticated as Hell: "The cheeseball's got no freakin' class!"
- Stock Footage: "Same gas station."
- Take That: After repeated jokes about Natalie:
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating:
"Y'know, he'd get a lot more done if he didn't revel after each small victory."
- The Untwist: In-universe. Mike and the bots all guessed the ending that both Paul and Natalie have become werewolves.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: "Hey, Paul, you're really turnin' into a Werewolf over there. Anyway, three-ball in the corner pocket!"
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: In the film. Lampshaded when Yuri defends his greed by proclaiming, "It's the American way!" which prompts a snide remark as to whether any actual Americans appeared in the film.
Mike: They're the Uzbekistani Tracy and Hepburn!
"This is absolutely fascinating."