Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 01 Cave Dwellers
Film watched: The Blade Master aka Cave DwellersLike Pod People, this film featured an opening credit sequence that took scenes from a different movie. O'Keefe was allegedly amused by the show's take on the film and called Best Brains (MST3K's production company) to personally request a copy of the episode. It is one of the most popular episodes of the series. The MST3K version of the movie is available in both VHS and DVD formats. This movie is often cited as the movie you want to introduce somebody to the concept of MST3k and riffing on movies in general.Compare with Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell and Quest Of The Delta Knights.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation has examples of:
- Catch Phrase: "How much Keefe is in this movie?" "Miles O'Keefe"
- Foe Yay / Distracted by the Sexy: When Zor confronts Ator and Mila in the snake-worshiper sacrificial room (not helped by Zor actually poking Ator's big muscled pec for a few seconds).Crow: Tit's all over- I mean, it's all over for you, Ator! I know we've been breast- best friends. Nipple.
- Freudian Slippery Slope
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "It's Speedy Delivery Guy, and has he got a package!"
- Ho Yay: Mike Nelson in the Amazing Colossal Guide gets disturbingly lyrical about O'Keefe's bod.
- Hypocritical Humor: "Mockery is the ignorant man's weapon."
- Running Gag:
- Joel getting Thong's name wrong.
- Tempting Fate: Servo complains at the end of the episode that this was 'the worst movie' the Mads had ever sent them. Considering some of the films to come, he REALLY shouldn't have said that.
- This is also a reference to a frequent situation in the writer's room. Often someone would state that the film they were currently writing for was the "worst movie ever" only to be proven wrong in the future.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: The reaction by Joel and the 'bots to Ator's modern hang glider.Servo: Oh, come on.Crow: What the…?!(Servo laughs)Joel: Terrific. (childlike voice) I'm the luckiest boy in the world! I have slipped the surly bounds of Earth and touched the hand of God!Servo: This is a little ridiculous. Okay, so... he kills a deer, he tans the hides, he stretches the skins, he makes an anodized aluminum frame, he learns how to extrude and weld… all in about five minutes, huh? ... learned aerodynamics...
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 06 Ring Of Terror Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 91 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 03 Jungle Goddess
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 13 Godzilla Vs The Sea Monster Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 02 Gamera
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 09 E 04 Werewolf Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 13 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 09 E 10 The Final Sacrifice