Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 08 E 20 Space Mutiny
Film watched: Space Mutiny
The movie landed almost perfectly in that sweet spot for MSTing
material: flawed enough to provide hours of enjoyable riffing
, but not a completely unwatchable trainwreck, resulting in one of the most popular episodes. Mike and the 'bots had a great time pointing out some cast members' resemblance to certain celebrities, as well as the obvious fact that the actress playing Lea is much older than her character is meant to be (they refer to her as Jansen's "Grandma-daughter").
The copious number of Railing Kills
nearly becomes a Drinking Game
(and inspires Tom to fill the 'Satellite of Love' with pits and railings), and they also make up numerous fake bodybuilder names for the muscular hero Ryder including Slab Bulkhead, Fridge Largemeat, Bolt van der Huge, Big McLargeHuge, Blast Hardcheese, Smoke Manmuscle, Punch Rockgroin, Roll Fizzlebeef, and Bob Johnson
. Kalgan's frequent maniacal laughter
is also a source of entertainment, as is the beefy protagonist's oddly girlish battle shouts. Kalgan's red-armored bodyguard ("Lobster Boy") and the death and miraculous "resurrection" of Lt. Lemont round out the riff targets. Oddly enough, the only thing Mike and the Bots don't lampshade
is the fact that every single "space" shot in the film is simply a clip from Battlestar Galactica
. (Evidently because they didn't know this was the case at the time of filming.)
Space Mutiny was released as part of Vol. 4 of the DVD collections by Rhino Entertainment.
- Analogy Backfire: When Dave chews out Lea and wishes her father could control him as well as he does this ship:
Crow: You mean have a mutiny on me?
- And This Is for...: After Kalgan attacks Lea during the climax:
Servo: (as Kalgan) That's for not knowing anything about ancient dentistry!
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking
- Awesome McCoolname
Crow: Slate Fistcrunch!
Mike: Buff Hardback!
- Brain Bleach: Lea's seduction of pudgy, balding middle-aged guard Murray, screaming when he takes off his pants.
Crow: This is supposed to be an ipecac, right?
- Call Back: In the host segments, Pearl asks a guard for moisturizer in a manner similar to that used by the prisoners in Red Zone Cuba.
- Canada, Eh?: Servo accuses the film as being made in Canada, claiming there's a "stench of back bacon". (He's wrong.)
- Credits Gag
- Double Entendre
- The Eighties: During the end credits, Mike and the bots mock the generic Hair Metal-style soundtrack. Then the bots point out how Mike grew up during the Eighties, and accuse him of being responsible for the movie.
Crow: Mike, this is your music done by your people, so I blame you for this entire movie.
- Doubles as Hypocritical Humor since the film came out in 1988: The same year MST3K did, so the Bots really don't have any place to talk.
- Extreme Omnivore: Bobo's plan for escape is to cough up a key he swallowed and open their locks. Pearl assumes he lifted a key off a guard, but Bobo says that he's swallowed so many things over the years that a key is bound to be in there somewhere. He proceeds to cough up a number of non-food items.
- Eye Awaken: Former Trope Namer and current page quote.
And, his eyes open. Crow:
An-n-n-nd his eyes open. Mike:
His eyes open. Servo:
Eyes open, yeah, yeah, big surprise
, he's still alive. Crow:
Eyes open. Mike:
His EYES open. Servo:
Can we just move it along here? Crow:
Come ON! (Kalgan's eyes open) Servo: (as Kalgan)
I'm sitting in something wet.
- Funny Background Event: Watch Idiot!Observer in the background having his hands argue with each other.
- Historical In-Joke: Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds manages to let Bobo start a fire in Ancient Rome while trying to free Pearl. (Emperor Nero was holding a violin recital shortly beforehand.)
- I Have Many Names: (Dave Ryder)
- I Uh You Too: One host segment has Crow and Servo engage in a dogfight outside the ship, which they decide to end with a mutual high speed suicide landing:
Servo: I LOVE YOU CROOOOOOOW!
Crow: I'M SORT OF FOND OF YOU SERVOOOOOOOO!
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: Relentlessly mocked.
Crow: Here's a little free advice for the mutineers: Just stop and aim, you idiots!
Servo: Why is he so impossible to hit? How can they keep missing this slow, giant white thing?
Mike: Y'know, they shouldn't have set their phasers to miss.
- Literal Metaphor: During the final battle:
Crow: Wow! I am on the edge of my seat! *beat* I should probably scoot back a little; I'd be more comfortable.
Mike: Yeah, you've got a lot more room back there.
- Long List
- Metaphorgotten: During Crow and Servo's dogfight:
Crow: Eat death, Servo!
Servo: Eat munchy, crunchy, chocolatey cocoa death, Crow!
Crow: Enjoy a nice serving of brown betty with... death... but mostly eat death!
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: We get to see a brief shot of Crow and Servo in their ships at the beginning of the dogfight and another as they're about to crash land, but none of the bombastic fighting overheard for the bulk of the segment.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Again, during the dogfight:
Ow! Servo, you just blew a hole through my torso! WHEEEE!
- Overly-Long Gag: The aforementioned many names of David Ryder.
- The Police
Servo:De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, is all I want to say to you....
- ...then Lamont's post-death appearance happens!
- Running Gag:
- See Space Mutiny
- Kalgan, blow me away!
- Just one of many references to Kalgan sounding like Calgon.
- Railing Kill!
- C'mon skull, pop out of my head!
- Jokes refering to Lea's age.
- Sherri's card, and, eventually, Sherri's party.
- Captain Santa.
- Finally, Christmas comes to Santa
- Aw, man, there's a sale on Power Bars!
- Kalgan's surprisingly joyful attitude.
- Comments on the Bellarian's incredibly skinny supermodel bodies.
- Capt. Devers is either Sting or the Energizer battery pitchman, Jacko.
- Lt. Lemont's apparent gender-bending & resurrection powers.
- When do I lift some weights?
- Can I get a spot?
- "RAAAAAAAAAAGH!!" [Stops to carefully climb out of the 3-mph go-cart.]
- Oh, we're going to [X], I must saay!
- They're refrencing Martin Short's SCTV & Saturday Night Live character Ed Grimley, who had hair similar to the guy in question.
- Rick Springfield
- As the guy in glasses falls to his death:
Mike: "The death of Rick Springfield"
Tom: "Just I Wish I had Jesse's giiiiiiirl!"
- Santa Claus: The captain looks like the jolly fat man.
Captain Jenson: [annoyed, glaring at his daughter Lea] Lea...
Tom: You're getting a lump of coaaaaaaaal...
- Soft Water: Subtly done. In a parody of how many railing kills are in this movie, Servo installs railings all over the ship. The sketch ends with Mike tripping over one and falling into a pit. He lets out a good scream on the way down, before we hear him hit water at the end of the fall. He's presumably unharmed.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: The booming main theme plays as MacPhearson walks over to Kalgan.
Servo: Does his entrance really warrant the "dun-dudda-dun-dun-dun"?
- Stealth Pun: A person listed in the opening credits is named "Vincent G. Cox".
- A Bellerian seductively comes up to Jansen:
Servo: Ho ho, ho.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: During the credits, Crow and Servo give one to Mike and The Eighties in general.
You and your eighties! Servo:
You know, it woulda continued to be The Seventies
if not for you!
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot:
Devers: Sir, we both know there's only one man here who's capable of combat. A man who's had the training, physically and mentally.
Commander Jansen: [reluctantly agreeing] All right...
Crow: (as Jansen) Fetch me my warrior's muu-muu!
- Voice Clip Song: "We Put Our Faith In Blast Hardcheese"
- What the Hell, Hero?: "And our hero boldly roasts the disabled guy."
- Who's on First?: Pearl demanding Observer "bring Mike down" leads to a Hurricane of Puns.
- Mike gets a pillow case full of down.
- Mike gets insulted (thus, 'brought down').
- A rather befuddled CPA named Mike Down is teleported from his modern-era 401K meeting to the Mad's Roman-era dungeon. Pearl bonks Brain Guy harmlessly on the head with a guard's sword for the trouble...Brain Guy did manage to send the movie with no problem, though.
- Younger Than They Look:
Jansen: Can you remember when you were that young?
Servo: (as Devers) I am that young.
- Lea in general, thanks to the poor makeup job done on the actress.
Servo: (as Kalgan) "We have your mother!"
Mike: (on Lea's dancing) "Don't you just hate it when the chaperones try to dance with the kids?"
Mike: (on Lea's dancing) "Woah mama! Or, grandmama."