He's gonna need more than sunscreen for this skin problem. note
. No wonder you're so popular. You've got it all. An abundance of Bishōnen
, Bishoujo and Fetish Fuel
, heartwarming moments
, hilarious moments
, tearjerker moments
, AWESOME moments
, cool villains
and (probably mostly) likable and well-developed characters
Now, if only some of your content wasn't so friggin' scary
we'd all probably be getting a lot more sleep...
Please add examples in chronological order.
open/close all folders
Land of Waves arc
- Kirigakure, or in English, the Village Hidden In the Mist. It used to be called the Bloody Mist. Why? Because of their little graduation ritual: the children who have been part of the same cell, working, fighting, living together, whose friendships are the bonds that you only make once in a lifetime are forced to kill each other with the idea being if you're not merciless enough to kill your friend, you'd be no good as a shinobi. This is explained by Momochi Zabuza, who also tells us why it was abolished: One year, over a hundred people were killed by a little boy who wasn't even old enough to be a ninja. That was him. Oh, and of course he says all this with a Slasher Smile◊.
- The Bridge saga has a woman threaten Tongue Trauma to save her son. The Generic Thugs say they only need one hostage, so they'll kill the boy, but his mother replies that if they do that she'll bite her tongue off and drown in the blood.
Invasion of Konoha arc
- The Shiki Fuijin technique. If you use it, both the spirits of the sealer and the sealed are trapped in the Shinigami's body, fighting each other for all eternity.
Search for Tsunade
- The first time we see Mangekyou Sharingan in action. Itachi's Tsukuyomi technique is a torture device that makes the victim see or feel certain things for several days in their mind (mere seconds in reality), effectively mind-raping anyone without a strong constitution. Since he controls everything in his mind, even one "second" of that torture is the equivalent of several day's worth to the prisoner.
- Kisame suggesting to Itachi that they cut Naruto's legs off so it would be harder for him to get away.
Sasuke Retrieval arc
- Tayuya casting an illusion in which Shikamaru is in chains and his arm melts off leading him and us to scream in horror.
- Kimimaro's bone powers. The part where he can fling bones from his fingers, or when he pulls out his spinal cord from his body and proceeds to use it as a whip. Even more so in the manga, because his fingers split in half so he can fling the bones like bullets, among other things. Some of the more morbid fan colours include pieces of flesh still on the bones. At one point there even is another mouth on his cheek while he talks.
- Even Gaara, the poster child for body horror during the Chuunin Exams, is visibly disgusted by some of Kimmimaro's abilities.
- The Uchiha Massacre. Sasuke, being a happy-go-lucky 8 year-old, comes home to find that his entire familynote has been murdered by his own beloved big brother. That is not a nice thing. Nor is said brother calling him a foolish weakling before psychically making him relive (twice, for a subjective 2 days) the entire ordeal, then putting him on a path to become a ruthless avenger and advising him to find a best friend, and kill him to gain power.
- This doubles as a Tear Jerker later on when we find out the REAL reason Itachi killed his clan...
Kazekage Rescue arc
- Deidara's hand tongues and the way they shape his clay bombs.
- Sasori's puppets. They're made out of people, and Sasori describes in graphic detail to Sakura and Chiyo how he goes about making his puppets.
- Sasori himself is pretty creepy in his own right, considering he has an utterly insane look on his face after revealing his puppet body. However the dub succeeded in making him even scarier. Additional nightmare fuel can be had when you learn that Sasori turned himself into a puppet. Also, as soon as Sasori reveals his puppet body, his tone goes from calm and composed to violent and almost insane. Thank his voice actor for that.
- Manga Chapters 257-260: Itachi's genjutsu on Naruto. Naruto's right cheek begins peeling off and flows away. Half of his whole head peels off, revealing half of Sasuke's face in his Level 2 Cursed Seal state. The illusionary Sasuke says he will finish the job of killing Naruto from their last battle and proceeds to make Naruto strangle himself with his own right hand. While Naruto fights with his own body, Sakura's head appears from out of the front of his jacket, asking him why he failed to bring Sasuke back and glares at him saying "I trusted you!" And after that, Kakashi's face extends out of Naruto's shoulder, telling him that he failed to protect his friends and he's disappointed in him because he had such high hopes for him. Finally, Gaara's eye appears on Naruto's palm, telling him "As always, no matter what, you come out ahead. Only you achieve happiness." With all of his subconscious regrets coming back to haunt him at full force, Naruto feels like he is about to break and tears begin streaming out of his eyes...
- At the end of this fight, they manage to defeat Itachi only to find out this entire time they were fighting some poor schlub they'd turned into a corpse puppet. A corpse which Zetsu proceeds to eat.
Sasuke and Sai arc
- When Naruto and company have their first reunion with Sasuke after the Time Skip you get a look at Sasuke and he looks utterly emotionless and his eyes are of the cold Dull Eyes of Unhappiness sort.
- As part of Sai's enrollment into Danzo's forces, all of his emotions were stripped away until he was emotionally empty. It's implied that this is what happened with others in Danzo's forces as well. Just seeing Sai give that fake smile and say that he feels nothing is quite unsettling. He gets better though.
- When Kyuubi Naruto and Orochimaru fight Orochimaru sticks his tongue out and barfs up billions of snakes that go at Naruto like a tidal wave with swords coming out of their mouths. Kyuubi Naruto later cuts Orochimaru in half and Orochimaru's body reattaches itself with snakes coming out of both halves and meeting.
- The genjutsu Sasuke uses on Sai. It was pretty freaky and enough to scare Sai.
- Orochimaru's rebirth ritual already looked disgusting enough in the manga, but when you see the ritual slowly take place in the Shippuuden anime, it quickly becomes even scarier.
- Naruto's 4-tailed transformation, where his skin is slowly being burnt off with a look of pure rage on his face, enshrouded in a cloak of chakra and his own blood. And then there's only glowing holes for his eyes. The second transformation (Episode 167) includes Off Model, which makes it look as if his body is deforming, and both transformations insert a pleasant tune of Ominous Latin Chanting.
- His 6-tailed form is the same, but with a partial fox skeleton loosely attached to him by threads of the blood-chakra aura.
- The anime recently introduced a 7-tailed form, complete with 2 sub-forms: Fox Form and Humanoid Form. The former is basically a dark version of the Bijuu Mode; a blob-like external aura about half the size of the Kyuubi made of the same blood-chakra mixture as the main body, and the skeleton is larger and more complete. The latter is similar to the 6-tailed form, except the skeleton is melded with Naruto's body. It doesn't help that the transformation into the Fox Form from a pseudo-Bijuu Mode consisted of Naruto losing his control and going Laughing Mad as his skin cracks and his blood blends with the formerly-golden aura.
- His 8-tailed form is even larger. The blood-chakra aura is gone (other than the tails), but muscle grows on the bone, making him look like an emaciated naked fox with an exposed spine and jawbone. However, the anime has the muscle covering the jaw, and the muscle is less detailed and colored almost like skin. However, the Deranged Animation in Episode 168 more than makes up for that.
Hidan and Kakuzu arc
- Hidan when he's in Ax-Crazy mode, as well as his fight with Shikamaru, particularly the end where his body is blown into pieces, and buried underneath rocks while the head curses Shikamaru. As if being buried alive while your body is in pieces isn't enough, Hidan was essentially being kept alive by his immortality, but will die eventually because his immortality is sustained by killing other people. Also, Word of God states that his head will rot before his immortality runs out.
- Hidan's partner, Kakuzu, is even worse. First, Kakuzu looks more or less like a normal shinobi at first. At first. Under that mask, he has a Glasgow Grin , green eyes with red sclera, and he's sewn together like a Raggedy Andy doll. Oh, and the threads holding him together are evil black threads similar in appearance to Shikamaru's shadow tentacles, powered by a Forbidden Jutsu that turned Kakuzu into a Humanoid Abomination. He only cares about money, but if you're a challenging opponent, he might want your heart, to add to the five already extending his lifespan (none of which are necessarily the original). And he's one of the stronger members of the Akatsuki, boasting jack-of-all-trades and Genius Bruiser in his portfolio. And that's not even getting into his One-Winged Angel forms.
- Then there are the implications that when he steals his opponents hearts, he's enslaving their souls! It's explained that when he was reincarnated during the war, he was still able to use the hearts he had stolen even though he shouldn't have been able to... But since he was able to, there are some people who believe that the Earth Grudge Fear is forbidden because it enslaves souls... That's a good reason if you ask me! And to think, he almost did that to Kakashi...
Itachi Pursuit arc
- Orochimaru's true form that he transforms into whenever he performs his body-switch technique. He takes the shape of a giant white snake made up of a multitude of smaller snakes, with a monstrous, dragon-like face and shaggy black hair. He also has a jutsu that allows him to transform into a giant Orochi, one of the mouths of which holds his normal body.
- The details of Jiraiya's death. Essentially after fatally wounding his opponent(s) ... well they come back and kill him. The battle ends moments later when Jiraiya's arm is cut off, he's shot at with missiles, his chest is pierced with a rod. He then tries to escape, but is corned when all six pains impale him... crushing his back and throat. He's once again shot at with missiles and the ground he's laying on crumbles and he drowns. Considering he was pretty much dead with his opponent's first assault that was absurdly brutal and almost scary, many fights before that point were not that graphic... at least in the anime. What makes it worse is that it was a hero and a pretty likable character who bit the dust and he didn't really even go out with a bang... unless you consider a beat down explosive.
- Any of the confrontations between Sasuke and Itachi. Especially the part about the eye transfer, even if it wasn't Itachi's intention. While many found it comical, some found Itachi's Villainous Breakdown moment to be quite unnerving.
- The anime version of Itachi's motive rant does a much better job making the scene creepy, in both the original and the english dub, by accompanying it with chilling background music, along with brilliant performances by both Hideo Ishikawa and Crispin Freeman.
- How about Deidara's death? When he goes Ax-Crazy and refuses to listen to Sasuke, he rips his shirt, revealing a mouth on his chest, where his heart should be. As if it wasn't enough, said mouth starts eating some clay and powers a suicide bomb attack which charges with Deidara's chakra. You can see his whole body slowly getting transparent as his chakra network blackens, looking like poisoned blood. Eventually, all that's left is a floating black orb with glowing white eyes and an evil laugh, before it detonates.
Invasion of Pain arc
- Pain's (specifically the Animal Path) summoning animals. There's nothing worse than seeing freakish, undead animals with purple eyes and concentric circles within them, and several sticks inside them. His "pet" dog takes the cake. First, it's agressive. Secondly, it has five heads. Thirdly, it can duplicate whenever it's cut, including and especially its heads.
- Naraka Path's form of torture interrogation (pulling out one's tongue and ripping it out when proven lying). The animation's addition of bulging blood vessels (and the Outer Path's tongue with hands, with hands did not help).
Five Kage Summit arc
- Danzo ramming his sword straight into the brains of an enemy ninja when they ask for a merciful death, then dragging along the corpse with the sword for a few seconds.
- Juugo's Body Absorption jutsu in Chapter 465. It was mildly creepy in the manga, but the anime made it so, so much worse. It shows the samurai's suit of armour slowly deflating like a balloon as Juugo sucks flesh, organs and who knows what else out of him through some kind of needle thing he sticks in the samurai's body, until all that remains is some flat, empty armour lying on the ground.
- The Ten-Tailed beast. Seriously just look at that thing.◊ With the recent revelation that the Gedo Mazo is the body of the Ten Tails, it means that we've seen an essentially less powerful version of what it looks like. Think about that for a moment. The Gedo Mazo is for all intents and purposes humanoid in shape and form. That means that the most powerful, Tailed Beast of all, the only one which was said to be actually evil...has a human form
- Chapter 470 shows that Kisame's "sword" is less an empathic weapon so much as an eldritch abomination on a stick. And then, Kisame fuses with his sword.
- Torune's poison nano-bug technique: thousands of microscopic insects living in his body which he can spread through contact with his skin and, when they get into your body, they cause your whole body to rot and die in an incredibly painful manner. And Torune's the only one who can get the poison nano-bugs out of you if you get infected.
- After touching Torune, Tobi nonchalantly observes that his arm has been infected by said microscopic insects...before squeezing the limb off at the shoulder where it drops in a spray of white goo.
- A number of examples in the Danzo vs Sasuke fight:
- When we finally see under Danzo's eye covering it turns out that A. It has the Sharingan and B. it's decaying to the point that the sclera isn't white but some sort of transparent shade of green/gray/brown.
- The last page of Chapter 475. Danzo has an arm full of Sharingan and a shoulder full of Hashirama.
- Sasuke using Susanoo to, at first glance, crush Danzo like a grape. And not even flinch when sprayed with blood. And it just gets worse. It turns out Danzo's strongest jutsu allows him to shrug off any attack that hits him as though it had never happened; as a result, his fight consists of him getting brutally killed only to get better and keep going. To die another brutal death.
- Chapter 480: In a last desperate act, Danzo grabs Karin and attempts to use her as a hostage. In response, Sasuke simply tells her to stay still, impales both of them without a second thought., "smiles" and happily says: "That's one down... soon the rest, Big Brother...". The way he says it sounds like he's talking to his brother as a child would an imaginary friend.
- The look on Sasuke's face in 483 when he's about to stab Sakura through the chest with a Chidori is pretty damn freaky as well. As well as his expression when he tells Kakashi how he's been "dying to kill him".
- Sasuke's Susano'o getting even bigger and scarier, and:
Sasuke: I want to change those laughs to screams and wails of misery!
Confining the Jinchūriki Arc
- Chapter 500: Tobi threatening baby Naruto with a Kunai.
Tobi: Fourth Hokage, Minato... step away from the Jinchuuriki, or else this child will die in its first minute.
- In chapter 501, Tobi throws baby Naruto into the air before trying to stab him with a kunai and planted explosives on him.
- In chapter 508, Kisame summons a hordes of shark to devour him. Being torn apart by sharks would obviously show a lot of gore, organs, and bones on screen. In this case? It's all obscured by a cloud of blood. That's right; blood is used as a censoring device.
Shinobi World War Arc
- Episode 264 had a particularly disturbing scene where we actually see the process of the Edo Tensei technique in action... The poor Sacrificial Lamb's screams as he's killed are rather... unsettling to say the least.
- In Chapter 523 the Nuibari sews people together.
- Way back when, it was mentioned that Kakuzu rips out the hearts of his foes and takes them for his own. In Chapter 530, we get to see him do it.
- Naruto gives a Death Glare in chapter 538, one so damn potent and downright terrifying that even the KYUUBI was frightened.
- Chapter 559 features the following from Sai. And I Must Scream: one of his latest techniques, named Sealing Technique: Stalking Predator Launch, consists of an animated drawing of a tiger which can attack the enemy and then go back in the drawing with him.
- In Chapter 580 we get these◊ lovely images of Kabutomaru attempting to eat Sasuke!
- Chapter 583: At the end young Kabuto is upset that his mother doesn't remember him and looks at his reflection in a river in despair. We then see Orochimaru's face appear where Kabuto's reflection was and he jumps out of the river and leans towards Kabuto. Why didn't his mother remember him? She was slowly brainwashed to think of a different boy as being Kabuto, and him as a stranger to assassinate.
- From the 3rd Naruto Shippuuden Movie: The bandages falling off Hiruko's face revealing his misshapen mouth and he does a Slasher Smile which reveals rows of pointy teeth before laughing insanely.
- Chapter 585: The sound Five and Orochimaru, partially emerging from Kabuto's chest. Kabuto bisecting Itachi.
- Chapter 586: Orochimaru's true form partially emerging from Kabuto's chest.
- Chapter 591: Edo Tensei is finally unraveling. Goodbye Mada- wait, he is still here? He hijacked the summon so he is basically immortal, has infinite chakra, and can can only be defeated if *he* revokes the contract?
Ten-Tails Revival Arc
- Chapter 594: Though incomplete, the Juubi has been revived.
- Chapter 595: During the process of turning into the Ten Tails, the Gedo Mazo starts undergoing some rather gruesome changes. First, the spiked "pads" covering its shoulders break open and fall off. Then, the spikes on its back start growing into a bulb-like structure. It's topped off with the fact that its mouth is tearing open and it starts bleeding from its eyes.
- Chapter 599: Not only do we finally learn that Tobi is Obito, we get to see his full face. Half his face, with what looked like wrinkles originally, are scars from when half of him got crushed by a boulder. Add that to just the cold, empty glare he has, and you're left shivering on how someone who had beginnings like Naruto became this screwed up.
- Chapter 600: Kakashi openly questions Obito about what actually took place after his supposed death and how he ended up becoming the twisted, deranged person he is. He explains the reason to be Rin's death, all the while sporting psychotic smirks and belittling his former friend before he promptly attacks him. Irony observes that Obito did indeed die, mentally. Not a trace of his former personality survived what he went through, making you wonder just how horrible his post-gaiden past must have been.
- Chapter 601:
- The surviving Obito, lacking an arm, with half of his body crushed and bandages everywhere. It's not pretty. And it gets worse the more you look at it; missing eye, missing arm, not too big a deal for Naruto in terms of damage that characters have sustained...and then you realize the reason the bandages covering the side of Obito's body are so shapeless is because that entire side of him has literally been pulped by the rocks..
- While his body was pulped or at least cut away after the incident, he does have a body under those bandages... Made out of basically the First Hokage and Zetsu parts.
- Seeing all five Kage a bloody mess, and then catching a glipse of a badly mauled Tsunade as she summons Katsuyu. Except... she's only being shown from the waist up... which is dangerously suspicious... And then you see the rest of her is out of place... Because Tsunade's been torn in half. Madara, in all his dickery, squished her under a giant tree root. Holy batshit, that is horrifying. And with that, she has effectively surpassed all the major protagonists barring Naruto in terms of Body Horror. Even worse, she's still got the lady balls to pass up having her body halves reattached so she can heal the rest of the Kage.
- Also, one of the ones who is impaled is Gaara. Gaara of the "Ultimate Defense" who only lost to Deidara because he ended up shielding all of Sunagakure from explosions and has gotten stronger since then. And we see him impaled on what looks like a fairly thin rod. It's horrifying and shows what Madara can really do. The thing that impaled Gaara? Its his own STRAP for the gourd. Meaning he was tossed hard enough for it to cut into his skin to that point!
- The above is so gory that the anime censors it out by never showing a full-body shot of him like the other Kage.
- Chapter 602: The reason why Madara managed to live as long as he did? He used the Demonic Statue as LIFE SUPPORT. Sure it kept him alive all these years, but he'll die instantly if he's ever disconnected, essentially trapping him inside forever an underground prison.
- Chapter 604: Kakashi stabbed Rin through the heart with a Chidori. Blood is flowing with from Rin's mouth as she gurgles her last word: "Ka…Ka…shi."
- Chapter 605: In response to the above, Obito launches into a primal massacre of an entire battalion of Hidden Mist trackers with the Mokuton, and when they try to take her body, he forgets these are human beings he's ripping to pieces and escalates to impaling them on gnarled, spiraling branches while crushing them into pulp. To sugarcoat the hideous scenery, blood from the victims is dripping from every nook and cranny, which creates a lake of blood, and Obito is bloodsoaked from his rampage. To top it all off, when Spiral Zetsu unfurls from his face, he's crying, the area around and below his Sharingan dripping with blood and even out his empty socket, no less, thinking all this time since he got buried in the cave-in, he's been in Hell. Sweet Jesus, that guy needs a hug.
- Chapter 607 reveals that Tobi might have caused the entire Kyuubi incident in the past just out of fury at looking at Rin's grave. It's both a Tear Jerker and quite the anger-inspirer for how petty it seems. It gets worse once you realise he's just standing there watching people being reduced to puddles of blood, all the while his sensei (Minato) catches his eye and Obito recites to himself that he doesn't care about this reality anymore.
- Chapter 609: The TEN TAILS is REVIVED.
- Chapter 610: The...Ten Tails Glasgow Grin...its...its just freaky...and looking at it sensor level...you can't even make it out!
- The anime brings its Nightmare Fuel rating Up to Eleven with the way its Tailed Beast Bomb is animated. First, the Ten Tails sucks its head in, presumably to gather chakra from its massive bulb. Then it pops its head back out, then opens its mouth so wide that it's as large as its body (with the pointy teeth facing outward to boot) to charge and fire the bomb.
- Chapter 613: The Ten Tails' latest form resembles a horribly emaciated humanoid with its single eye, a creepy mouth and an ear occupying one side of its head each. Let's also not forget the massive bulb it now carries on its back and its tails each sporting a hand as tip. It's chakra is so great that the sensor device at headquarters shows another planet on the battlefield.
- Chapter 614: How Neji died. It isn't just being impaled. The stake first penetrates...then grows INSIDE the body. Even a otherwise non-lethal flesh wound would turn lethal at that. And...to make matters worse, it was what Obito used when he first became Tobi.
- Chapter 622: Hashirama's time of growing up. The constant warfare means the average life expectancy for BOTH shinobi and civilians was only 30 years old. What made it lower? The fact that Child Soldiers were regularly used on all sides. No, we're not talking about later era 'child ninja', we're talking about SEVEN FUCKING YEAR OLDS BEING SLAUGHTERED. Special mention goes to Itama Senju. He was a little boy surrounded by adult Uchiha CRYING before being murdered in cold blood. Its so bad that in later eras and in real life, Adult Fear is suppressed by the Adults since they want to continue killing and murdering each other.
- Even worse is the fact that Itama's absolutely brutal murder is almost certainly the catalyst for Tobirama's discrimination of the Uchiha, and his reason for inventing Edo Tensei.
- to get into the mindset back then, when both Madara's and Hasirama's father and little brother came to fight, the father's first action was to kill the other's sons. This was without hesitation.
- And we're not talking Bloody Mist-style kids fighting each other to the death. We're talking about seven year-olds being killed in battle with grown men.
- Chapter 628. Madara's Slasher Smile. That's all◊.
- And as if that wasn't enough, the Juubi's Tenpenchii, which unleashes absolute devastation in the surrounding area, coupled with tornados and lightning bolts.
- Chapter 629 showcases Body Horror at its finest, Obito now literately lacks a heart.
- From the same chapter, we found out why Kakashi killed Rin. It turns out she had been turned into the 3 Tails host by the Mist Village so that she would lose control and destroy the Leaf Village.
- What's makes this worse? Kakashi had no intention of harming her and after refusing her request that he killer her, she literally threw herself on his attack as he was trying to protect her from an on coming enemy!
- Fridge Horror accompanies this revelation: The Three Tails was perfectly fine after Rin died so that implies Tailed Beasts do not die (at least not permanently) when their host does. Because this was Kurama's main motivation for helping Naruto before they made friends, it can be inferred that he didn't know that he would be fine if Naruto died. Now imagine what would have happened if he had found out before Naruto changed him...
- We already knew that Tailed Beasts can't be permanently killed from the Birth of Naruto Gaiden. Kushina was about to sacrifice herself to destroy Kurama even though she knew that he'd eventually regenerate. It's not clear how much Kurama knew about this, but either way, dying isn't pleasant, even if resurrection is assured. Kurama, being the strongest of the Tailed Beasts, likely would take the longest to regenerate. For all he knew, dying with Naruto could mean it would take a hundred years for him to regenerate. We also don't know what happens to Tailed Beasts when they die before they regenerate. Maybe they go to Hell, or the process of regenerating is excruciating in its own right. It wouldn't be surprising if he didn't want to endure that. Besides, he's been through a lot worse than being sealed in Naruto. When he was in Kushina (and presumably when he was in Mito), he was being actively tortured, whereas the worst he endures inside Naruto is the boredom of being in that cage.
- It's also possible that Kurama is just a massive tsundere and always had something of a soft spot for Naruto, so he was only using an excuse while pretending to be the big bad monster. There are a few places in the story that you can read an implication that he feels sympathy for the kid... wait, this is the Nightmare Fuel page! Get out of here with your warming hearts!
- Chapter 630 introduces yet another horrifying transformation for the 10-Tails. It first shifts back into its initial form, the one with the huge jaws filled with teeth, and then its already-massive jaws unhinge as what looks like a huge flower bud pops out. It unfurls, revealing a gigantic Rafflesia-shaped mass of flesh, which then begins charging the largest Tailed Beast Bomb yet which punches clean through the Shinobi Alliance's last-ditch everyone-casts Earthen Wall defense. Thank goodness the revived Minato showed up in time to warp it away.
- Chapter 632 proves that even when trapped, the Ten Tails is not defenseless. In response to the Ninja Alliance rushing it, it starts to spawn mini, humanoid Ten-Tails to attack. Uncanny Valley doesn't begin to describe these things.
- Chapter 635: The Ten Tails is just getting more and more monstrous. It separates the parts of it body on fire from the main body
- Tsunade's state before Orochimaru came is just disgusting. She is so weakened that she looks as old as Madara did when he died. And she is still severed in half with mini-Katsuyu's on the wound trying to reconnect her body. Good news, she lives.
- Chapter 636: Kakashi leaves a huge hole in Obito's chest. It is dripping with blood and probably fatal.
- Then Obito warps back to the real world, where Madara takes over the Zetsu half of his body and fills it with his dark energy, all while Obito is literally screaming with pain.
- Chapter 637: Obito becomes the jinchuriki of the Juubi.
- Chapter 639: A little Adult fear at the end of the chapter. Obito has grabbed both Naruto and Sasuke by their faces and keep in mind, he's strong enough to heavily damage two Hokages in five seconds. If Minato doesn't make it in time, he's going to have to watch Obito try to kill his own son (again).
- Chapter 640: Body Horror turns Up to Eleven when Obito is torn apart piece by piece in his mind as he is overwhelmed by the Juubi's power, the cake is when his head is split into two right in the middle of his eye.
- Chapter 643: Obito summons...something very eldritch-like that can fire multiple bijudamas at once. And then traps the whole alliance fighting him inside a barrier so they can't run or shield.
- Chapter 646: Upon reaching it's final form, the Juubi hunts down the alliance members and sucks them dry of their life force, the sheer despair of having an immense mass of living tree branches hunting you down until you die takes things into Cosmic Horror Story levels.
- Chapter 654: Uncanny Valley Rin.
- Chapter 656: Madara is alive again.
- Zetsu has always been a bit creepy, but it's been somewhat mitigated by his behavior. Chapter 657 throws that out the window when Black Zetsu breaks out a terrifying Slasher Smile as he's taking over Obito.
- Chapter 658: Madara is beaten, slashed, compressed, dumped in acid, etc. by nine of the most powerful beings in the entire series and HE STILL GETS BACK UP AND SHRUGS IT OFF LIKE IT WAS A MINOR ANNOYANCE!!! Keep in mind that he lost both his eyes and that's he alive again. Then after getting back one eye, he states it's his turn...
- Chapter 659: Oh boy...what does he do with his turn? Madara proceeds to employ a combat-oriented version of Shinra Tensei that handled every biju at the same time. Please note this was with just one'' Rinnegan. He then summons the Gedo Mazo (oh yes, it's back), and entraps every bijuu, even Naruto and Killer B, in the chakra chains. What comes next, however, is chilling. He's going to extract Kurama and Gyuuki from Naruto and B first. Let's just look at how he pretty much views Naruto and B as containers holding the last key pieces to his plan, and shudder at how willing he is to sacrifice lives like that. And what's worse? This entire chapter could be renamed "Madara is winning".
- Chapter 660: The look of complete physical shock on Naruto's face as Kurama is completely extracted from him.
- Chapter 662: And it just keeps getting worse. Naruto is dying, his heartbeat is failing, and Sakura has no chakra left to properly save him. Sasuke is also fading out.
- Chapter 663: The trend continues:
- Second page in we learn Naruto is just about dead, and soon after so is Sasuke. Although Gaara reveals a way to save Naruto, that can't work for Sasuke.
- Seeing Sakura reach into Naruto's body to grab his heart is both horrifying and tearjerking.
- Naruto isn't dead yet, his chakra can still be sensed and if Sakura can keep stimulating his heart to keep his blood flowing he can survive. Sasuke though? He received a literal mortal wound, bled out, and his chakra can't be sensed anymore. Which means that unlike Naruto...Sasuke has most likely died.
- Jinchuuriki Madara is heading to the exact same location as Naruto's party to take his left eye back, Sasuke is the one with better chances here.
- Madara becomes the Ten-Tails Jinchuriki, he looks a lot more human than Obito and has no worries controlling himself.
- It's even worse, Obito had the one vulnerability of Natural energy, Madara can absorb it without any side effects and both Hashirama and Naruto are currently incapacitated, Jugo and Orochimaru aren't capable of using it with such destructive techniques.
- While not as terrifying as any of the above, it's a bit unnerving to see that there is someone inside Spiral Zetsu. If it's not Madara or Obito, who is it?
- Chapter 677 confirms that it's Yamato. Spiral Zetsu was just using him as a source of Chakra to feed off of. Geez, just give this guy a break already!
- Chapter 664: Black Zetsu hijacks the other half of Kurama as Minato attempts to implant it in Naruto to save him. Also, there is a mysterious person approaching Sasuke, whose chakra signature Tobirama and Karin don't recognize. The only thing we know about this new character is that Karin states that the chakra signature is evil. It is found out to be Kabuto, who somehow returned to his pseudo-Orochimaru form after being Izanami'd.
- Chapter 667: Based on Madara's descriptions the Eighth Gate causes Red Mist in comparison to the Seventh Gate's Green Mist. As we know opening the Eighth Gate causes death, we can guess that the Red Mist is gaseous blood.
- Confirmed in Chapter 668. Fortunately, the blood mist is much smaller than the massive sweat mist in the previous gates, meaning he doesn't die in mere seconds. It still doesn't change the fact that he's slowly bleeding out, and that the physical effects of the 8th Gate are similar to Version 2 mode, but without the healing factor.
- Chapter 669: We all knew that Gai wouldn't defeat Madara. But Madara just enjoying the fight so much is unsettling
- Chapter 671: The Infinite Tsukuyomi involves assimilating every living being into the Shinju, living forever while absorbed into it, connected into the endless illusion-dream. If that isn't an And I Must Scream moment, I don't know what is.
- Chapter 672: Guy is bloodless and burned to a crisp as a result of the 8th Gate's final attack. His condition is so bad that his charred flesh is cracked and peeled to the bone and his right leg and foot, which he used to kick Madara, is completely turned to a disintegrating mass of ash and bone fragments.
- Chapter 674: Faster than Naruto or Sasuke can react, Madara plucks Kakashi's Sharingan right out of its socket (complete with spray of blood and cry of pain from the poor cyclopic shinobi) and into his own, and transports to the Kamui dimension and attacks Sakura & Obito.
- Also, Obito is finally too weak to resist Black Zetsu and maintain control of his own body, as Madara warps in and chucks a spear at Sakura. And with Madara having Kakashi's eye, Naruto and Sasuke have no way to help them.
- Chapter 675: Madara planned Rin's death. He made sure she was who was kidnapped, made sure the Zetsu told Obito, and made sure she couldn't kill herself so Obito had to watch her be murdered not knowing she likely chose it. And he had a similar contingency inside Obito this whole time just in case the just snapped and tried suicide instead of the plan, which Obito only noticed after Kakashi used Raikiri on his heart, where the seal was. So, yes, Madara planned Obito's whole fall.
- Chapter 676: Madara activates the Infinite Tsukuyomi
- Obito was killed and Madara is having Black Zetsu use his corpse
- Chapter 677: Infinite Tsukuyomi takes effect. It was creepy to see everyone be forced away with their eyes replaced by Rinnegan. Even cats had this happen to them, showing every life is in the infinite Tsukuyomi. And they can't move at all, while the Juubi wraps around them.
- When the Infinite Tsukuyomi starts we have a huge Kaguya in the sky, with the moon as her third eye. Neon Genesis Evangelion had a negative effect on Kishi, I guess...
- Holy shit! Kaguya's Slasher smile! That freaking slasher smile! We all knew that sooner or later she would be revelled as one of the big bads but this really is one of the most scariest moments in the series. God know how people felt in her time and the worst part is that more and more hint's are given that shows that she's still alive and kicking!
- Hinata's final thoughts before being podded up by the World Tree are to call out for Naruto. Worse still, he hears her but is currently powerless to help since leaving Sasuke's Susanoo barrier would trap him in the illusion.
- Counter-genjutsu techniques are completely ineffective against Infinite Tsukuyomi. Even with a Rinnegan, Sasuke's only means of defense is to use Susano'o as a shield. Madara has surpassed Aizen in terms of destructive capability.
- Chapter 678: Three words: Kaguya is back! And how! It's not just that she's back but Black Zetsu is somehow her will and not Madara's, meaning that Madara is no more a pawn in this than Obito and just like him he's getting offed the exact same way he did it to his former subordinate. She has just proven herself to be the biggest Magnificent Bitch in the series with the power to boot.
- The all powerful Sage Madara falls to the Worf Effect himself by getting One-shotted by a weak version of Kaguya. The look on his face as he realizes he cannot move at all followed by his distorted face screaming in agony at the end of the chapter as Zetsu takes over him has turned the horror Up to Eleven. Just how strong was this woman?
- Shino's giant bug. Honestly, man, must your dream be so hilarious and yet creepy?
- Chapter 679: Black Zetsu informs us that Kaguya has used Infinite Tsukuyomi in the past, before dropping the bombshell that humans trapped within the World Tree's embrace for a sufficient amount of time become White Zetsus. THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MOMENT. Worse yet, we are shown a brief flashback of Madara's old lair with the half-formed White Zetus hanging from the tree/Gedo Statue hybrid Madara created back then. What if he was chanelling the souls of thousands of people trapped in the Gedo Mazou for ages?
- No mention of the sheer Body Horror Madara underwent while he was absorbing all that chakra? Granted,like the Obito moment above,there was a bit of Narm involved, but it still manages to be quite skin crawling. It's made worse because this comes from someone who effortlessly absorbed the insanely powerful Ten tails. Madara was totally unable to contain the sheer volume Kaguya's power.
- The way Kaguya tells Naruto and Sasuke to stop fighting and that she'll have them vanish now. It's like she's talking to insignificant ants.
- How does Kaguya remind us she's the strongest woman alive? By instantly turning the whole ground into lava, of course! Without even moving an eyelid. Her power is ridiculous to the point where Sasuke wonders if it is even possible for someone this powerful to even exist
- Kaguya's power was already stronger than Hagoromo and the Juubi. And now she's become even more powerful because by taking over Madara, she has become the jinchurki of the Ten Tails.
- Scratch the above! Later it turns out that Kaguya IS the Ten Tails itself fully revived.
- Kaguya says that she once used the Infinite Tsukuyomi before to create her "soldiers". With that in mind, have a look at this scene from Chapter 512◊.
- Chapter 681: Kaguya's creepy sad face surpassed Madara's craze for Hashirama.
- Black Zetsu's Xanatos Gambit would make Aizen bite himself with jealousy.
- Kaguya is revealed to have been behind the Juubi, it was her will that aimed to take back the chakra from the tree, from her own SONS. Even if she acts like she's regretted it, we're getting the implication that she tried to kill her own sons because they were born with chakra.
- What Madara learned about the Infinite Tsukuyomi was a lie created by the Black Zetsu, and when Madara thought he was creating failed clones of Hashirama, he was really giving form to people that were trapped in the Gedo Mazou, confirming that indeed, that army of White Zetsus, many of which Naruto mowed down left and right, they all used to be real humans. All of which were absorbed into a Hive Mind and lost their sentience. But if the afterlife in Naruto is anything to talk about, they ought to go back to normal there.
- Chapter 682: Kaguya is a Reality Warper and she tossed Sasuke into another dimension were he can't escape from.
- Worse yet, the fact that she can instantly send any of her body parts anywhere implies that Kaguya could easily take Kakashi, Sakura, and Obito hostage at any time.
- Chapter 684: The All-Killing Ash Bones jutsu, upon stabbing its target, can punch a hole into them while causing their body to crumble like ash. It's horrifying to watch even though only a clone got hit.
- And later in Chapter 686: Obito is doomed. He's taken a hit from the above jutsu for Naruto and will suffer the same fate. Also definitely a TearJerker
- Chapter 687: Obito literally flakes apart from every nook and cranny of his body and crumbles into a pile of ashes. But hey, he's chilling in the afterlife with Rin now and acting Adorkable like he used to before the bad times rolled in, so it's not all bad.
- Chapter 688: Kaguya becomes an Eldritch Abomination- a conglomerate of the Tailed Beasts chakras absorbed all at once, making her an out-of-control demonic-looking rabbit with a bulbous patch of flesh that has the beasts' heads (and the Demonic Statue) sticking out and ten five-fingered appendages. This... monstrosity is apparently the true ultimate form of the Ten-Tails.
- What happens there that Kaguya tried to transform into the Juubi, but the Tailed Beasts tried to break free and destabilized the Juubi into an unstable form.
- Chapter 689: The ten headed rabbit monstrosity un-clenches it's jaw and turns into a HUMONGOUS Truth Seeking Bomb the size of a moon which has all nature transformations, giving it reality breaking powers to destroy Kaguya's existing dimension (which comprises of an entire planet and outer space no less) and create a new one in it's place.
- Chapter 690: Kaguya's whole sealing. She transforms into the Juubi and goes through a massive Body Horror before the Tail Beasts are free, causing her to transform back into the Demonic Statue of the Outer path as the most massive (and terrifying) Chibaku Tensei on record forms another moon around her. The panel showing the Juubi's head and Kaguya's hair deserves special mention.
- Chapter 692: Sasuke's REAL motivation for helping out the alliance comes out: he wants to murder the five current Kages from each respective village, places all tailed beasts under his control in order to seal them forever and reform the entire world in his image through revolution. The face he sports as he says this is the stuff from nightmares, demonstrating that he's still letting anger and hate drive his ambitions. He also notes that only Naruto can stop him, so he's going to fix the problem the only way he knows how...
- Sasuke's motivation is the last to be revealed, coming across as a huge shock to everyone present, since their plans after all the fighting was done was just simply to relax and move on with their lives. The poor tailed beasts, who have been abused all their lives for their power, are once again treated like rabid animals by Sasuke. What drives this home is that KURAMA, THE NINE-TAILED BEAST, THE STRONGEST OF THEM ALL is now begging Naruto to free him and his brethren from their prisons.
- Chapter 698 mostly shows Sasuke and Naruto lying next to each other talking to each other. The last Panel shows that both have lost the forearm they used to attack the other, and the blood loss between their arms has spattered out and mixed together. Worse, Sasuke is talking about being mutilated a la Obito through donating his left eye to Kakashi if he dies. And of course, they are both brutally beaten up to the point they can't even move and they've lost enough blood that their lives are in danger.
- Orochimaru is the poster child/man/thing of Nightmare Fuel for Naruto. Gaara reforms; Orochimaru gets worse.
- It doesn't help he is body horror incarnate. His first appearance, he returned a kunai with his TONGUE. Yes, his tongue is long enough to grab a knife and return it, and he was just nonchalant about it.
- Then he meets Sasuke and Sakura, his first action was eating his Earth Scroll and the showing off his killing intent so strong, he made Sasuke and Sakura hallucinate their deaths. It was so much it made Sasuke vomit and Sakura a crying mess.
- Or the fact he summoned a giant snake, that ATE Naruto.
- Then he lets loose another giant snake on Sasuke and Sakura. After Sasuke kills it, Orochimaru just comes out of the snake's corpse, and then extends his body to chase after Sasuke like a snake.
- After Sasuke finally get his courage back and fights Orochimaru, the fight ends with Orochimaru tied to a tree and him on fire. But NO, Orochimaru just laughs it off, his NECK extends instead and he bites Sasuke on the neck, all the while his face is melted.
- By far his crowning moment was learning that he experimented on infants. Bad for regular viewers, doubly so for parents.
- What about how he got his disguise to compete in the exam? He took the Grass Genins' faces. Even worse, we never know who wore the other two disguises. Or if they weren't disguises and Orochimaru just took theirs as well for giggles.
- Orochimaru's Shower Scene, when his arms are... flaking off, as well as his screams of agony.
- Oh God his true form is body horror incarnate. He no longer has a human body. He is just a giant snake made of smaller still alive snakes. His blood turns into a poison when it meets air.
- After Sasuke couldn't be transferred so Orochimaru could switch bodies, he just picks someone else. We didn't get to see what happened, but we just heard screams.
- The place where all Orochimaru's body-snatching victims end up- a place full tounge-like flesh by the gobs... and they are all assimilated into it.
- The fact he can revive himself anytime through the curse marks he implants on humans by biting them. He's not just placing a form of control on them- he's giving himself the equivalent of video game continues with living people.
Gaara (Pre Heel Face Turn)
- .......His Establishing Character Moment arrives in episode 34... When he gruesomely kills three people! Granted, one of them ''kind of'' deserved it by the way he was insulting Gaara and his two siblings. But then, after Gaara is finished with him when the other two surrender the scroll... And he STILL kills them!!! Not to mention how cold-blooded he was when he did it... And if it wasn't FOR those two siblings, Team 8 (Hinata, Kiba and Akamaru, and Shino) would've been killed too! Not to mention how at the end of the episode, the proctor, Anko and three other men are talking about how they beat the record for the fastest time to get the second exam done... One hour and 37 minutes... Which is FOUR HOURS less than the original record!!! And then, when they're talking about how Gaara and the other two didn't even have SCRATCHES on them; which they considered impossible, Gaara looks up at the camera... and it shorts out...
- When Gaara brutally murders a Rain ninja- By trapping him in a cocoon of sand and then imploding it with so much force that blood sprays the entire area like rain. It's so graphic that even the original japanese version showed black squiggles instead of blood. And afterwards he waxes creepy-poetic, telling the unfortunate ninja's teammates- who are now soaked in the former's blood- bizarre mumbo-jumbo about the blood soaking into the sand to empower 'the demon god', before killing them as well.
- His battle with Rock Lee, because it looks like Gaara's completely lost it◊! This is where some more of his true colors are starting to show up besides the above mentioned Establishing Character Moment, like after the sand armor reforms on his face he's got his implacable expression. Cue the realization that under his apparent indifference there's still that horrible grin. And that's not even mentioning him nearly crippling Lee and his menacing voice taunting Lee. Then there's this quote... (slightly paraphrased)
Gaara: Is that all you've got? There hasn't been enough... blood...
- Gaara's facial expression here◊ as he tells Shikamaru and Naruto how his own father has since he was really young tried countless times to kill him.
- Gaara going completely AWOL when he is transforming into his Shukaku form was both badass and freaky as hell. Especially him shouting "MY PREY!!!"
- It's especially bad with his taunting of Sasuke, his screams, his horrible grin, how painful his transformation looked, how nothing attack-wise works against him... Good grief...
- And his speech in the Chunin exams when he first attempts and almost succeeds, also Nightmare Fuel when it does happen to transform in the series. In the English dub, at least, there's something, even ignoring the speech itself, about the way Gaara's voice just gets slowly shakier and shakier as he continues speaking that.
Gaara: Are you ready? I'm going to open it now...I'm going to rip it open, that's how you get it all out...everything inside will come spilling out...lots and lots of it...and I'll give it all to you...I'm such a good boy, aren't I? Are you watching, mother? Are you ready? I'm ready...
- The aftermath of Gaara bleeding for the first time was terrifying. Sasuke blindly shoving his hand into the ultimate defense, getting stuck, only hearing Gaara's screams of pain from inside (think about that too: Chidori, twice to the chest, once at point blank range and tell me it doesn't make you squirm in horror at the sheer pain Gaara must of been in) to pull back out again with a huge sandy claw chase you and one brief glimpse of a demon's eye. This troper barely slept.
- Then there's the actual screaming of "BLOOD! IT'S MY BLOOD!". Some people found it Narm-filled, others found it absolutely terrifying... And then there's the people who thought it was a mixture of the two sides.
- Gaara's childhood and the circumstances of his birth. Since he was a jinchuriki, people hated him, he couldn't make friends and his inability to control his sand only made things worse. So his father finally got fed up and starting trying to kill Gaara. The first assassin he sent? Gaara's uncle! It's no wonder that he was turned into a sociopath when he was only six years old! And his mother got pregnant, his father took the Shukaku out of its tea kettle, and sealed it into his wife's unborn child. Yeesh, his father was a huge Jerk Ass!
- For a while Gaara had to forgo sleep to prevent a forcible takeover by the monster inside him. To elaborate; his consciousness is open to the Shukaku more so than when he's awake and so if Gaara sleeps for too long, Shukaku will forcefully take over his body and Gaara will cease to exist!
- The entirety of Ep. 58! Let's start with title... "Hospital Besieged: The Evil Hand Revealed!"... Evil hand?! Then there's the beginning: Gaara has vanished. He is literally nowhere to be found! It's absolutely terrifying seeing his mentor and siblings TOTALLY flip their crap trying to find him and realizing that he's now out there, doing who knows what! And throughout the first quarter of the episode, we see him slowly approach the hospital, Sakura and then go to Lee's room... Where he plans on killing him... Then after Naruto and Shikamaru thankfully stop him, he reveals a little bit about himself... and that a demon is inside of him... Then there's the ending before the sneak peek of the next episode: Gaara threatens to kill all of them... That guy is messed up!
- But by far... His crowning moment of scary is right before his fight with Sasuke in the third part of the Chunnin Exams... Two men are ordered to try to force him to forfeit his match due to a bet their superior made... Let's just say that it ended poorly for the two men... To explain it in detail... Gaara gets his sand ready, grabs the first man... and proceeds to dissolve him into sand! The second man, seeing who he's up against, tries to run away but the sand is quicker than him... And Naruto and Shikamaru, who have been watching the entire thing, are helpless to do anything as the man is dragged down the hallway, begging and crying for mercy... And all we hear are his screams of extreme fear and pain... Then we hear his footsteps as Gaara calmly walks down the hallway, approaches Naruto and Shikamaru... and as the footsteps get louder as he gets closer and closer, Naruto and Shikamaru have looks of pure fear and dread on their faces as he appears just behind them... and in an incredibly tense and terrifying second, Gaara just walks past them as if they aren't even there... To sum it up: the sound of footsteps has never been this intimidating!
- Then it gets worse when Fridge Horror kicks in... What did he do to that second man? It's never shown... We saw the first man get crushed and dissolved into sand but the second man's death is just heard... What could've been so horrible, so gross and so terrifying that they couldn't even show it to us...?
- He has◊ a lot of nightmare◊ faces.
- The first 16 pages of this gallery are FULL of scary images of him!
- Let's face it: EVERYTHING about Gaara before his Heel-Face Turn - from his facial expressions, voice, insanity, laugh, screams, murders, Jinchuriki transformations, fights, etc - are freaking TERRIFYING and prove to some people that he is Nightmare Fuel incarnate!
- ...The mere fact that he started as a sociopath when he was SIX and he was only twelve years old during the Chunnin exams is both terrifying and a MAJOR Tear Jerker!
- His flashbacks of him as a child before his fight with Naruto are a perfect mixture of Tear Jerker and Nightmare Fuel.
- When Kagero of the Fuma clan pulled her own heart out and squeezed it. Especially terrifying because she connected her heart to Naruto's so they would both die when her own heart stopped. Even Cartoon Network realized how graphic this scene was, as they put a warning at the start of that episode.
- The entire arc was filled with nightmare fuel. The same ninja pulled off a pretty gross transformation, going from an ugly old... thing to a young woman with wings. Then after that, one of Orochimaru's creations attacks the team, and it's sewn together from different corpses, each turning into a howling pile of flesh colored goo with a grotesque face, when cut off from the main body.
- While it's only a filler arc, the Imposter Arc had three ninjas take the forms of Hinata, Naruto and Kiba so they can attack the village undetected. They can copy down to the smell, appearance and thought patterns of someone. If Orochimaru was scary for stealing faces, these guys have it down to an artform.
- Yakumo's id monster is very, very scary, especially the first time it appears -laughing from the fire that killed her parents.
- In the Three-Tails filler arc, one of the earlier episodes showed a flashback of Orochimaru experimenting on a man... Who is begging for mercy while Orochimaru just laughs maniacally and is about to cut him open with an electric saw! This is the only time that Orochimaru has actually successfully scared the crap out of me!
- Filler episode 150 had the scene where Shiranami is telling a helpless Hotaru (who's the vessel of the powerful Forbidden Jutsu) who's in a binding jutsu about his plan to help her destroy the village that shunned her even though Hotaru clearly doesn't want any part in that. The Nightmare Fuel reared its head once Shiranami smiled, laughed and asked Hotaru why she wasn't smiling. He then forcefully pushes the corners of her mouth outward as though she were smiling though her expressionless pupils are widened and she's sweating in fear. Made even worse when he revealed in an earlier episode while smiling happily that he killed his own father to further his goals and that he's merely using Hotaru as a "tool" to destroy everything else she holds dear and change the world the way he sees fit. He even says that he doesn't give a damn about Hotaru at all.
- Filler episode 152...at the very end Utakata goes to find the mist ninja who were after him only to discover their bloodied masks by the tree. And then we see none other than all 6 bodies of
Pein Pain standing before him.
- Edo Tensei. Mainly that it's reanimate the dead, except that you don't need the original's body, just a human sacrifice to mold into it, it has all the powers the original had, it regenerates from all damage. Plus imagine if you are one of the unlucky to be brough back from the dead: You'll not only have zero control of your own body, but you'll also be forced to kill your loved ones.
- It was invented by the Second Hokage. Just think about it for a moment. New forbidden technique, which requires a human sacrifice. Surely he would have got it right first time with just a few human sacrifices, right?
- That wooden... puppet... thing that Kankuro keeps around. Particularly when he comes to Kiba's aid during the Sasuke retrieval incident, and we see his "Iron Maiden" move for the first time. It's extremely squicky - the end shot is of the Black Ant with blood oozing from between the wood slats.
- All the stuff that falls under Eye Scream is pretty horrifying as well: Itachi and Sasuke bleeding profusely from the eyes when using Amaterasu or Susano'o. It almost looks like they're eyes are going to explode. Depending on your preferences, slowly but inevitably going blind may count as well. Or when Itachi uses the Tsukoyomi to simulate popping Sasuke's eye out of its socket. He plucked it out and warned Sasuke that he would try to take his other eye as well. I had to stop watching in the anime when I saw Sasuke's eye bulge out of its socket as Itachi plucked it out.
- Madara Uchiha takes it a step further by actually stabbing out his own brother's eyes in order to transplant them into his own eye sockets and cure gradually increasing blindness, in addition to unlocking the extremely powerful, ultimate Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan which allows him to use the eye's abilities with ridiculous impunity..
- Kakashi Gaiden: Kakashi got his one Sharingan eye when his old one was damaged in a fight, and Obito, after getting mortally wounded and recently unlocking his Sharingan, has Rin surgically replace Kakashi's with one of his while they're both conscious.
- Pain tried to kill Kakashi by shooting a nail into his eye. It didn't work.
- In chapter 590 in Itachi's memory after Shisui says Danzou stole his right eye he literally takes out his other eye and gives it to Itachi to prevent Danzou from having it.
- In episode 166, we get a closeup of Naruto's eye graphically turning blood-red before entering the 6-tailed transformation.
- All of Orochimaru's hideouts. With all the prisoners and cells, experimentation labs and dimly lit rooms, they really give off the feeling of "don't want to be here"!