We GO! note
This is the story of Monkey D. Luffy
, an ambitious yet kind and rather dense young man who has eaten the Gum-Gum Fruit (Gomu Gomu no Mi
), turning him into a Rubber Man
. He dreams of following in the footsteps of his childhood hero, Captain "Red-Haired" Shanks, by becoming a great pirate. In fact, he plans to find One Piece and become the new "Pirate King".
To that end, he has assembled one of the strongest (not to mention weirdest) crews in the world, consisting of:
- Roronoa Zoro: The swordsman. A cool, snarky, lazy former Bounty Hunter with an impossibly bad sense of direction and super strength, who is the creator of the Santoryu (three sword style), carrying one in each hand and one in his mouth. Proves wise at times, and questionably sane at others. His goal is to become the world's greatest swordsman by defeating Dracule "Hawk Eye" Mihawk.
- One Piece 101 - Zoro
- Nami: A sly, spunky female thief, master manipulator, and outstanding navigator who dreams of making a map of the entire world. She's quite greedy and obsessed with cash, often conning other characters, even her own crew mates. Possesses an instinctive ability to predict the weather that borders on the supernatural, which later becomes the basis of her combat techniques.
- One Piece 101 - Nami
- Usopp: A long-nosed, cowardly sharpshooter with a penchant for bragging and telling tall tales. He dreams of becoming a great warrior of the sea, much like his father, with the side goal of visiting Elbaf, an island of giants and a "warrior's paradise".
- Sanji: The sharp-dressed, girl-crazy, chain-smoking chef of the crew. Master of the Black Leg technique, with kicks strong enough to shatter boulders into dust, and possesses hidden intelligence. He dreams of finding the All Blue, a sea where the four "regular" seas (not counting the Grand Line) converge, which therefore holds every species of fish in the world.
- Tony Tony Chopper: A young, naive, and adorable reindeer who consumed the Human-Human Fruit, giving him sapience and a humanoid form. After a series of mishaps, was adopted by quack doctor Hililuk (and later mentored by grand doctor Kureha), becoming an expert doctor. He joined the Straw Hats to fulfill his dreams of becoming a doctor that can cure any disease, and to become his own man.
- Nico Robin: Unflappable mystery lady, archaeologist, former agent/assassin of Baroque Works who ate the Flower-Flower Fruit, and is the only survivor of Ohara, who has been ruthlessly hunted by the World Government since childhood. She dreams of finding the Rio Poneglyph, an enormous stone block that holds the world's "True History".
- Franky: The crew's resident shipwright/cyborg/speedo enthusiast. Powers up on cola and dreams of making an invincible ship that can sail to the edge of the world. Shows his approval through much gesticulating and cries of "SUPER!"
- Brook: A fencing musician skeleton with an afro, a weird sense of humor, an odd obsession with seeing women's panties, and the power to come back from the dead. Once. After he's already decayed to a skeleton. He dreams of reuniting with Laboon, a whale his crew befriended before leaving for the Grand Line, and betrayed by dying before returning to him as promised.
Together, the group of True Companions
known as the Straw Hat Pirates travel the world, making their way to and through the Grand Line, facing villainous rival pirates, Marine Forces, and corrupted elements of the World Government. Much of the mysteries surrounding the events of the storyline concern not only where Gold Roger hid his treasure, but why he did, what happened in the True History of the world, why the World Government wants to hide it, and what the "One Piece" actually is.
The big gimmick to the show is that many characters, including Luffy, have consumed a "Devil Fruit". Devil Fruits grant the sole consumer incredible powers, at the cost of the consumer losing the ability to swim. Luffy, for example, has eaten the Gum Gum Fruit (Or the Gomu Gomu no Mi if you're feeling Japanophilic) , turning him into a Rubber Man
that is capable of stretching his body like elastic. The powers granted by the other Devil Fruits are a varied bunch, from producing natural soap to transforming into a giraffe-human hybrid, to becoming a being made of living ice.
It has numerous specific pages
Joking aside, it's also back on U.S. airwaves as of May 18th via [adult swim]
, and is also streaming on VIZ Media
's Neon Alley
service. Funimation has the episodes they acquired on their website available for members to stream, with only episodes 1 through 205 dubbed, probably because they want people to watch the dubbed episodes 206 onward on Toonami instead.If you are watching the English dub or haven't read the manga, there are spoilers below.