usually has several Funny Moments
per arc. Just take a look...
open/close all folders
East Blue Saga
- The first introduction of Luffy against an enemy was Alvida of the Iron Mace, who demanded to be called the most beautiful woman of the sea despite her, ahem, large appearance. Luffy's first comment towards her? "Who's the tough-looking old biddy?"
- Oh, yes! Epic reactions! Also, that was one of the very few times that 4Kids actually had a funny line! (insert alarmed face here) When Coby once again says that Alvida is the loveliest on the sea (out of fear, of course), Luffy asks him, "When was your last eye exam?" Can you say "Burned"?
- It gets better in the Funimation dub, where Luffy says "Who's the fat lady?" Alvida's crew's reaction is freaking priceless.
- "In all the seas, Alvida is... the Rudest. Damned. Bitch."
- Coby has a nervous breakdown about not being able to join the Marines because of being Alvida's cabin boy. Luffy responds by bonking him on the head.
- At the beginning of Chapter 2, the monologue says it all:
Luffy: Too bad I can't swim, too. Ha! What was I thinking? In a giant whirlpool, it doesn't really make a difference if you can swim or not! I'd drown even if I could swim! YIKES! AAAA!
- The beginning of Episode 4 when Nami cons three of Buggy's men out of their boat and their treasure, after which they get sunk by a coldfront.
- Near the end there's Luffy attempting to catch a bird in the air only for him to get caught in its beak.
- Luffy delivers a bone-crushing (literally — sound effects included) Groin Attack on Buggy. Even the ladies were feeling that one!
- Even funnier, there's a brief panel in the manga where Luffy briefly notices Buggy's lower half just standing by, with one or two panels between this and the aforementioned Groin Attack, heavily implying that he was planning said nut shot the whole time!
- "This is Buggy." Very random, adds an extra gasped laugh to the package.
- This exchange within the Usopp arc:
Pepper: Hey! Where's the captain (Usopp)?
Onion: Could they have finished with them already?
Carrot: Hey, you pirates!
Pepper: WHAT'D YOU DO WITH OUR CAPTAIN?
Onion: Give him back!
Luffy: Ahhh! That meat was delicious!
Pepper, Onion, and Carrot: M-MEAT!? The captain! He COULDN'T have—!
Zoro: If you're looking for your captain...
Pepper, Onion, and Carrot: WHAT!? WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM!?
Zoro: He just... (evil face) ...got gobbled up!
Pepper, Onion, and Carrot (looking at Nami): GYAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! OGRESS!!
Nami (understandably pissed off): WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME!?
(Zoro laughs contentedly as Pepper, Onion and Carrot pass out on the restaurant floor)
Nami: IT'S NOT FUNNY!'
- Usopp and Luffy are spying on Kuro and Jango, only to learn that they plan to assassinate Kaya. Instead of keeping out of sight with Usopp, Luffy stands up and screams "HEY YOU GUYS! DON'T KILL KAYA!"
- Luffy asks Sanji to join the crew.
Sanji: Sorry, but I'm gonna have to decline your offer.
Luffy: No, I decline.
Sanji: You decline what?
Luffy: I decline your decline.
- During the Baratie Arc, Gin has just taken out Pearl. When Don Krieg questions this, Gin merely brushes it aside and vows to kill Sanji, despite taking out the person currently in charge of doing that: Pearl. Krieg's response?
Don Krieg: Oh great. My chief commander has just lost his marbles.
- While Arlong and some of his men are out terrorizing Cocoyashi, Zoro takes down some other fishmen. When Arlong gets back, he demands to know why Hatchan didn't do anything. Hatchi replies that he was out taking some swordsman away from Arlong Park...
Hatchan: THAT WAS HIM!!
Fishmen: HATCHI, YOU IDIOT!!
- Bellemere's secret to stay young and beautiful while never having to eat too much food.
Bellemere: Tangerines replenish my skin with the power of liquid sunlight. And they're the only reason I'm such a ravishing beauty even though I'm in my extremely twenties.
Young Nami: *Blankly staring* Their hands are all yellow.
Bellemere: WOULD YOU JUST SHUT UP AND EAT YOUR FOOD ALREADY?!
- In another flashback, just right after Bellemere is shot by Arlong:
Bellemere: You made a boy cry?
Young Nojiko: He made me mad!
Boy's Mother: Oh, it's okay. Kids will be kids.
Young Nami: He said your tangerines suck!
Bellemere: He WHAT?! (Smacks the boy herself)
- Some wordplay before the big Nami flashback in the Arlong storyline. After Nami faked killing Usopp, Zoro told Sanji that Nami probably couldn't handle killing him in cold blood. The word he used to insult her, "komono", was intended to mean "small fry", but Sanji interpreted it as "small breasts". When he went to kick Zoro, and Zoro blocked, they ended up in a Double-KO of Usopp. Cue Pietà Plagiarism with Luffy.
Sanji: He is alive.
Zoro: Nah, I think he's dead now.
Luffy: USOPP!!! DID NAMI DO THIS TO YOU?!
- At the beginning of the Arlong/Straw Hat crew fight, we get this brief yet hilarious exchange:
Arlong (while still holding Luffy mid-attack): Idiot!
Luffy (even more enraged): WHY YOUUUUU.....! (proceeds to viciously chomp on Arlong's trapezius,(where his gills are), causing Arlong tremendous pain that forces to free his grip on Luffy)
- In the Arlong arc, Usopp's thoughts on the merman who spent two episodes chasing him (even though it was Usopp's plan to use himself as a red herring against said merman):
Usopp (in tears): HE'S SO STUBBORRRNNN!!!
- When Usopp beats down Choo with the Usopp Hammer. Seriously.
- When Zoro meets Tashigi, he's shocked to see how much she resembles Kuina. In the anime, he's so shocked he breaks her glasses.
- When Zoro is forced into manual labor as recompense for a debt owed to Tashigi, a marine officer, and made to clean the local base (vigorously and with three brooms):
: It's the pirate hunter Zoro! Marine B
: He's cleaning our floors, that fiend
- When Dracule Mihawk came to Shanks and reveals Luffy's bounty, Shanks, who was hungover at the time, gets Mihawk a drink and calls on his crew to get drunk again!
Shanks: Don't be stupid! I can't not drink on a joyous day like today!
- Hatchan's reaction to Zoro falling over when he got his six swords out is quite funny, especially in the dub.
Hachi: Hey, you can't die yet! I haven't killed!
- Might cross over into Black Comedy but Luffy not realising he was about to be executed until sometime AFTER Buggy explained everything was hilarious, especially Buggy's reaction and Luffy only getting it then.
- How about when they first encounter Laboon? Luffy has a moment of surprising intelligence: the Going Merry is about to crash right into Laboon, and as the other Straw Hats desperately try in vain to steer Merry in time to avoid their impending doom, Luffy comes up with the idea that saves them: firing the cannons to slow the Merry down. A moment of intelligence that he manages to fuck up immediately afterwards: The Straw Hats bump into Laboon harmlessly, but Luffy's favorite seat is broken in the process, causing a pissed-off Luffy to punch Laboon in the eye, leading him to notice them. See for yourself.
- Crocus' entire introduction is one big Crowning Moment of Funny, especially the rampant abuse of his "running gag."
Usopp: Hey, you wanna fight, we'll fight! We got cannons back here, you bastard!
*Crocus gives the crew the dangerous crazy eye, followed by a series of different camera shots punctuated by drum beats, ending in a close-up of his eye*
Crocus: You try it and someone's going to die.
Sanji: *while Nami and Usopp freak out in the background* Yeah? And who's that?
Crocus: Me, of course.
- And later...
Whisky Peak Arc
Little Garden Arc
- Nami and Zoro discuss strategies.
Nami: By the way, your idea of cutting your legs off and escaping is so stupid.
Zoro: I cut off my legs so I can fight them, not escape them.
- Usopp deduces that they can save their friends from Mr. 3's death trap by using fire to melt the wax.
Luffy: Is that true!?
Miss Golden Week: Yes, it's true.
Mr. 3: Don't give away all of our secrets!
- Karoo's reaction to Vivi bringing him along on her trek into the jungle with Luffy.
- Before going to Little Garden, the Mr. 3 pair are relaxing on an island resort. Mr. 3 wonders why Miss Golden Week has been staring at a piece of paper for the past three days. What is it?
Miss Golden Week: Orders from the boss.
Mr. 3: Then give them here!
- Pretty much the entire snail conversation between Sanji and Crocodile.
Sanji: Hello, you've called the Damn Restaurant (or "...you've reached the Crap Cafe," depending on the translation).
- Zoro's pose before he gets turned into a statue and the resulting conversations.
Drum Island Arc
- Before entering Alabasta, Luffy and the gang come up with a countermeasure against one of the Baroque Works agents.
Luffy: Okay, whatever happens from now on, this left arm is proof of our friendship. Now, let's get onto dry land. TO A RESTAURANT!!! Then Alabasta.
Everyone: SHUT UP, YOU IDIOT!!!
- When Luffy eats some cactus that makes him hallucinate, he starts yelling insane things and flailing about like mad. In the next panel, he collapses with a big thud, and Chopper's just sort of standing next to him with a huge syringe.
- During the crew's travel through the desert, they are faced with several monstrous creatures, who get their "fifteen seconds of fame", before Luffy, Zoro, or Sanji knock them out. A particularly hilarious instance leads to the following:
Nami: With those three attacking it together, I feel sorry for that monster.
- The group constantly complaining to Vivi about her explanations of the deadly creatures coming off right when said creatures pop up instead of warning them beforehand.
- Ace's official introduction. It starts with everyone in a restaurant thinking that he died, while Ace has his face planted in the food that he was eating. He suddenly sits up and everyone freaks out. Ace looks back and forth at the shocked staff and when a woman asks if he's okay, he promptly uses her skirt to wipe the food off his face. He tells the chef that he was sleeping and moments later he passes out again.
- And right after that, Luffy ramming into both Smoker and Ace, sending them flying through a building and a wall. And then it takes several minutes of eating for Luffy to recognize Smoker...
- A blink and you'll miss it one, but when they're on the sand ship, Zoro runs and takes the swords off two of the crew members to slice up the giant dung ball aimed towards the ship, leaving his own in their scabbards. Probably remembering the time in Whiskey Peak he sliced one of Mr. 5's booger bombs ("I just cut someone's snot!").
- Later on, just as the Straw Hats and Vivi reach Rainbase, Luffy and Usopp run to a nearby restaurant. After drinking some well-needed water, they realize that Smoker and Tashigi happened to be in that exact same restaurant, sitting right next to them. Cue huge and hilarious Spit Take.
- Even better is that the Spit Take hits them. Considering that Smoker can turn into smoke, this probably also saved their butts, too, since he can't change when he's wet!
- While Vivi having to fend for her life against Bananagators while searching for the key to free the Straw Hats amidst a flooding basement, was terrible, and Sanji's Big Damn Hero moment was awesome, once the crew are free and Luffy and Zoro join in the fray, it's this: To elaborate, Vivi barely come close to defeating one Bananagator. Luffy, Zoro and Sanji make a pile of knocked out Banagators in the time of a scene cut! Then Luffy loudly complains he wasn't at full strength because of the inrushing water! It takes a Beat then Vivi starts crying on Usopp's shoulder, who consoles her by saying that those three aren't normal like they are.
- Sanji's Big Damn Hero moment also includes a Brick Joke. When did Crocodile finally realize that his supposed previous conversation with Mr. 3 was with someone else...and that there was someone else in the Straw Hats he didn't know about? When Sanji gave him the same "Damn Restaurant"/"Crap Cafe" greeting as before.
- Luffy's impersonation of Sanji.
- Nami's first battle with her Climatact. Her endless frustration with its useless tricks (like releasing flowers and pigeons) coupled with Miss Doublefinger's deadpan reactions made it prime comedy fare!
- Luffy, in order to take advantage of Crocodile's weakness against water, drinks an entire barrel of the stuff. It's Mizu Luffy!
- Luffy's first fight with Crocodile is a very serious affair, with Luffy unable to land a solid blow on his opponent when he keeps turning into sand, while he openly mocks him all the while. And then Luffy suddenly opens wide and bites Crocodile in half at the waist, a move so ridiculous and made of so much Mood Whiplash that Crocodile loses his cool and basically goes "Enough of this crap!"
- At another point during that fight, Crocodile starts again mocking Luffy about his inability to hurt him and Luffy cuts him off by punching him in the face, resulting in one of his rare Deadpan Snarker moments.
Luffy: Sorry, my fist interrupted you.
- Usopp pulling out his "5-ton" hammer and engaging in a game of whack-a-mole with Miss Merry Christmas. With a Rubber Band of Doom added in for good measure.
- After he and Chopper won their battle with the Mr. 4 group, Usopp was apparently dying of his injuries. But came to when Chopper admitted to stealing his manjuu, a pastry filled with sweet bean paste.
- Mr. 2's Copy-Copy Montage, where he attempts to make Sanji "laugh helplessly until he collapses" by changing every part of his face into the most ridiculous-looking version out of all the people he's copied... resulting in Mr. 2's regular face, with Usopp's nose.
- Luffy being told that he slept for 3 days, and he calculates that he missed 15 meals. Also Igaram's wife, Terracotta, comes in with a trolley full of fruit.
Terracotta: I've heard you can eat a lot. Do you think you could snack on this fruit until dinnertime?
Luffy: Okay. (Swallows all the fruit at the same second that he finishes answering)
Sanji & Zoro: Was that some trick!?
- Not to mention that Terracotta looks so much like Igaram that the Straw Hats at first think it's him in drag. Considering he did that at Whiskey Peak, it's not a stretch.
- HAPPINESS PUNCH!
- The Straw Hats are leaving Alabasta through the desert when they notice Nami is feeling down.
Chopper: Nami, are you feeling sick?
Luffy: Nami, want a piece of meat? But only one.
Sanji: Nami-san, it's about Vivi-chan, isn't it? I understand how you feel, but, if you keep thinking so much, you'll never get over it. You two were good friends for so long, but c'mon, cheer up.
Nami: I'm... giving it up. For Vivi. My 1 billion Berries.
Chopper, Luffy & Usopp: OF COURSE YOU ARE!
Sanji: YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT MONEY?!
Chopper: USOPP FELL OFF!
Zoro: Nami, quit being so damn misleading!
Nami: Huh? What's your problem? There's no point worrying about Vivi!
Chopper: Oi! Usopp has FALLEN OFF!
Nami: That's his problem!
Everyone: IT'S YOUR FAULT!
- Near the end of the arc, the crew (sans Zoro) is depressed about leaving Vivi. Then Zoro tells them that the should have forcefully taken her with them:
: Ah, you savage! Nami
: Scumbag! Sanji
: Mosshead... Luffy
: Three swords... Usopp
: No, Luffy, calling him "three swords" isn't insulting. Luffy
: (beat) Four swords
: That's not an insult either! Listen, why not call him nattou
(fermented soybeans)? That would be like telling him he stinks.
- This is followed by Nico Robin insisting she join the crew:
- How did she pull it off? By saying Luffy "did something" to her. While she explains that it had to do with how he saved her against her will after beating Crocodile, Sanji immediately assumes she meant something else and starts berating Luffy.
- After the exposition, Usopp interrogates her:
: You're full of confidence. What's your specialty? Robin
: (beat, smiles)
: LUFFY!! My investigation has concluded that she is far too dangerous!!
- Also when Nami tells Robin she'll be watching her... then Robin pulls out a bag of jewels she stole, and Nami starts calling her "sister". The BGM slowing down to a halt adds to the comedy.
- Not to mention the cash-register noise as Nami zooms down the stairs.
- Usopp accepting her was a lot easier. She just threw a couple extra arms on Luffy's head so he could imitate Chopper for some laughs.
- When Luffy meets Blackbeard, the two are eating at a bar. Blackbeard loves the bar's pies, but Luffy hates them, and vice-versa for the drinks. This is the beginning of a weird grudge match between the two, and when they start ordering different foods for take-out, they start trying to one-up each other on the amounts. It ends with...
Luffy & Blackbeard: (to each other) IM GONNA BEAT THE LIVING CRAP OF YOU
Zoro: DO YOU TWO EVEN HAVE THE SLIGHTEST IDEA WHAT YOU'RE FIGHT FOR?!
- After the Bellamy Pirates laughed at them regarding the existence of Skypiea, Usopp asked Nami if she got any information back on the ship. She gets so angry, he uses a Ketchup Star and Chopper eats a Rumble Ball and goes to Guard Point. When Robin gets back and mentions it, Nami goes off on her as well. Chopper goes to Jumping Point, and ends up overboard!
: JUMPING POINT!!! (jumps overboard... offscreen) DAMN IT!
: Man overboard! *jumps over to save Chopper*
- What about just prior to the gang actually going to Skypiea, where Mock Town's town drunk got copies of Luffy and Zoro's increased bounties? That had to be the fastest any drunk guy could turn sober.
- The gang's attempts to catch a bird to find the way to the current leading to Skypeia. It controls bugs to annoy them all, especially Nami. During one moment of hysteria, however...
Nami: Pretty... AHH, ROACHES!
- In regards to the Going Merry flying edition...
- The entire confrontation with the White Barets. The crew is charged with entering Skypiea illegally, an eleventh-degree crime, and through a series of seemingly innocuous acts, end up being bumped up to sixth-degree. Then Nami comes back and, after learning about the hefty fine they'll have to pay to clear themselves, runs down the captain with her waver.
- While trying to rescue the rest of their crew taken to Godland, two of the monster trio plus Usopp are given a crow themed Dial boat to get there, after the initial selfishness of Luffy wanting a different bull themed one (and collective badass quotient of being willing to go in the first place) Sanji's comment that "a crow ain't a waterfowl.."
- Luffy's impersonation of Zoro.
- The scene with the waterfall in Episode 160 is priceless. It's especially funny when its shown that Sanji, Luffy, and Usopp all have a Oh, Crap look on their faces.
- Luffy and Usopp trying to cheer up Sanji with his "song." Their voices turning raspy at the end is what sells it.
Usopp & Luffy: Take my haaaaand, HONEY.
Sanji: Those aren't the words!
- Zoro clearing his throat to do a Tarzan shout while swinging.
- Followed by Zoro telling Nami that her vine swing went badly because "she didn't do the call".
- Robin tells the others to put out the fire so as not to reveal their position to the enemy. Luffy disagrees and says lighting a campfire is obvious for camping. Nami tries to remind them that they are in a dangerous forest. Sanji and Zoro prepare a large woodpile. Sanji says that animals are afraid of fire, while angry eyes and growls can be seen behind him. Next page, well, see for yourself.
- When Gan Fall tries to tell the Straw Hats Skypiea's history, Usopp asks him if he's hit his head or something. Cue Pierre taking a bite out of his head. Later, he recounts how the Shandians were driven off their land by the Skypieans which Usopp and Sanji blame him for. And once again...
- Luffy's Island Song. Comes in two flavors.
- Right in the middle he's interrupted by what he thinks is a goat, but is really one of Eneru's priests trying to ambush him. He knocks the priest out in one punch, comments how he really wanted to see a goat, and walks off humming like he's pissed off.
- Even better, if you aren't familiar with what's going on in that particular arc, Luffy's line about the island belonging to God is ten times funnier.
- Zoro's Idiot Ball moment when he wanders around in the forest lost for a while with a giant South Bird, whose head always points south. When he's trying to get to Eneru's shrine. Which is to the south.
- Chopper's reaction as he observes Gedatsu's idiocy:
"What a dimwit!!"
- Zoro defeats Ohm, and then has to contend with his giant pet dog... only to find out that he obeys anyone's orders, at which point he just orders him to knock himself unconscious and moves on.
- Eneru's reaction to Luffy's being invulnerable to his attacks.
- Also from the Skypiea Arc: Usopp/Nami versus Eneru. It's just a string of hilarious gags, particularly of note, the poses they make while dodging, and Usopp's flip.
- On the verge of leaving Skypiea, Conis tells them that they'll start falling soon. The look on Zoro, Luffy, Usopp, Chopper, Sanji and even the Going Merry's faces are priceless.
- The Straw Hats fleeing Skypeia. After stealing all the treasure they can find, they run into a mob of Skypeians approaching them with a colossal cylinder wrapped up. Usopp figures that it's a gigantic cannon and, thinking that the mob is angry at them for stealing their treasure, the Straw Hats run like hell. What was the cylinder? A giant column made of solid gold, which broke off the Golden Bell, that the mob was trying to give to them as thanks.
- Not in the series outside of the DVD commentary, but J. Michael Tatum doing Eneru's voice at a drive-thru. Can be seen here.
- The Funimation dub has this moment of Usopp having another panic attack:
- Usopp trolls Zoro with a tone dial.
- At one point, Luffy is eaten by a snake, inside whose stomach he later finds Nami, Gan Fall and Aisa. The second Luffy realizes their predicament, he says they should look for its ass, so they can be pooped out. Needless to say, Nami doesn't take it well.
- Later, after the snake moves some more, Luffy looks for Nami, and mistakes a nearby skeleton for her, because they happened to be wearing similar clothes. His reaction is funny on its own, but Luffy actually tries to wake "her" up.
Davy Back Fight
- After Skypiea, the Straw Hats are now planning to divide the gold.
Nami: Alright. Thank you for waiting. We will now officially start distributing the loots. Each of these is worth a lot of money!!!
Luffy: HURRAY! LET'S BUY A STATUE! I WANT A STATUE!
Chopper: CAN I BUY BOOKS?
Sanji: New pots, new pans, new silverware... and a few mousetraps.
Zoro: Time for some rum!
Nami: First things first. My share is 80% of these.
U, L, C, S & Z: HOLD ON A SECOND...!
- Before the start of Chapter 304, We have this little setting. The crew are trying to catch food... by playing music. Then a phenomenal thing happens in the next page. After witnessing that glorious sight, They vow never to let them get away again.
- Tonjit invites Luffy, Usopp, and Chopper to his house after they get him down from his stilts. Since his village isn't around, he takes some stored milk and finds that after 10 years, it's spoiled into rotten cheese. This doesn't stop him from eating it, as he insists he has a strong stomach. Next panel, he's on the floor, sick with food poisoning. That whole scene has got to have some of the best comedic timing I've ever seen in a manga.
- After winning the second round, before Luffy can decide to get Chopper back, Nami advises to choose the enemy's captain to get an automatic win in the last round. Robin voices her complaint on this one.
Robin: Actually, Nami, if we do as you said, we would certainly get an easy win. However, I don't want that split-head (Foxy) traveling with me.
Nami: *gasp* So true!!
Luffy, Zoro, Usopp & Sanji: Yeah. We don't need that kind of trash.
- Foxy then proceeds to go into his Corner of Woe for being so brutally rejected.
- Hey, if Luffy, who's an excellent judge of character, says that, he has to be right.
- Before that, the Foxy pirates are outraged by this suggestion, and voice it out loud, causing Nami to cry in frustration. Zoro tells her not to cry if she's the one at fault, and she promptly beats him up for it, while threatening to do the same to the Foxy pirates. And they stop yelling. A 500-strong pirate crew is scared of a single teenage girl.
- Usopp's and Sanji's Jive Talk in the Funimation Dub (trust us, It Makes Sense in Context)
- The Foxy bombs. Luffy's reaction is priceless.
- As Luffy chases Foxy through the Foxy Pirates ship, he runs into Foxy in a bizarre Paper-Thin Disguise with an over sized head as the crew's maid. Luffy buys it completely. But it's at its best later on when Foxy tries it again with a cook disguise and actually unmasks himself when Luffy fails to figure it out again.
- Luffy and the afro. Almost every member of Luffy's crew agrees on the power of the afro. Nami wonders if she and Robin are the only sane members of the crew...
: Is Luffy gonna win? Robin
: Of course. He's wearing an afro.
- At the end of the Davy Back Fight Luffy comes off victorious from the combat. He chooses to take Foxy's Jolly Roger for it. He then draws them a new one so that they can keep their sail. As you might've guessed, it's awful. The Foxy crew's reaction sells it.
- Gotta love Zoro and Sanji arguing before the Groggy Ring match.
Zoro: (referring to the "Ballman Hat") Hey, that looks good on you.
Sanji: YOU THINK I'M GOING TO FALL FOR THAT, STUPID?!
Nami: Sanji! That hat looks great on you!
Sanji: Alright, let's rock! Ballman's here to kick some ass!
- The Straw Hats meeting Aokiji is initially presented as a very serious affair, with Robin terrified of him and the Straw Hats freaking out about his rank. Then he turns to Nami and promptly starts hitting on her, and it just goes downhill from there.
Aokiji: Let's see here... 100 million, plus 60 million, plus 79 million equals... (begins counting on his fingers) I dunno, some big-ass number.
Zoro: Just do the damn math.
- In the anime, how does Luffy lose the Hit and Dead Ball match? By eating the ball. Yes, the last rule in the massive rule book is against eating the ball. They're ready for everything in that game.
- Before the Roller race, the team prepares but Nami catches Luffy eating yet again:
What are you eating? Luffy:
You can't have any. Nami:
I DON'T WANT ANY!
- In the anime, Foxy attempts to trick Nami several times throughout the Barrel Race. However, his tricks are so lame that Nami falls for none of them. It's funny on its own, but what makes it even better is that Foxy looks utterly devastated as Nami sees through his tricks.
- At the climax of the final match, when Luffy finally lands the finishing blow on Foxy, he calmly walks away. Nothing's happening right away because Foxy managed to get Hoist by His Own Petard and is under the influence of his own Slow-Slow Beam. As his face slowly contorts, the Straw Hats happily start counting down until the effect wears off knowing that Foxy goes flying at zero. Eventually, Usopp manages to get Foxy's own crew to join in finishing the countdown!
Water 7/Enies Lobby
- When Luffy, Nami, and Usopp first meet Kaku, they are stunned at his appearance, with Luffy confusing him for Usopp. Later on, the Galley-La shipworkers make the same mistake. But the best part is when Kaku is inspecting the Going Merry with Zoro keeping watch;
Zoro: Oh, it's just Usopp. (comparison shots of Usopp and Kaku) Wait a minute! Who are you?!
- The Funimation Dub takes Kaku's tendency to use old-fashioned words Up to Eleven. Highlights include "gumption" and "two shakes of a lamb's tail."
- Except for the obvious stuff, Spandam's entire existence in Franky's flashbacks consists mostly of getting hit in the face. Again and again.
- This conversation:
Luffy: Hey Zoro, why were you running away from the storm?
Zoro It's nothing. Forget it.
Chopper: He was stuck in a chimney.
Zoro: WHY YOU, CHOPPER!
Chopper: Eh? What?
Luffy: Ha ha ha ha ha, "he was stuck in a chimney". Zoro is an idiot!
Nami: SHUT UP, YOU BOTH ARE IDIOTS!
- Sanji leaving a note for Nami before departing on the train, a tiny piece of paper and huge writing on the wall saying that the note is for Nami-san only and that everyone else is a jackass.
- The contents of the note as well, for that matter. Most of it is just rambling of love and other such mush, with the actual relevant stuff all crammed into a "P.S". On the other hand, though Sanji may be a Chivalrous Pervert far past the point of fault, organizing the note thus may have been to ensure that only Nami read it.
- Another layer of hilarity is added when you realize that Sanji was in a rush to board the Sea Train at the time and yet still found it necessary to do all that.
- Sanji manages to find Robin when Corgi and his men escort her to the Sea Train, and wonders why she's not trying to escape them. Conclusion: she's obviously waiting for Sanji to rescue her! This is followed by a rose-tinted Imagine Spot with Sanji as a Prince Charming and Robin as a princess. That scene served as a well needed Mood Whiplash after the last few episodes' seriousness.
- Just before the Straw Hats leave to go to Enies Lobby, Nami brings Luffy a huge sack of food and drink, and Luffy starts scarfing it up. That's not the funny part. That's usual for him. The funny part is Zoro off in the corner, snatching up all the bottles of booze he can find, with a sparkly gleam in his eyes and a huge grin.
- In episode 256, when Lulu and Tilestone board the Rocketman, Lulu asks Paulie for the whole story about what happened to Iceburg, noting that they have already figured out most of it and stoically listen as Paulie explains that Lucci, Kaku, Kalifa, and Blueno are CP9 agents. All of which makes their Freak Out even better.
Paulie: You didn't know!? Who did you think they were!?!
Tilestone: Michael and Hoyker from the old town?
Lulu: Right! Right!
Paulie: Who the hell are they!!?
- Nami changing clothes on the train... Paulie freaks out while most of the other guys drop to their knees with nosebleeds.
Guys (giving thumbs-up): Shame is overrated... *all collapse*
- Everybody's expression when Zoro uses Rashomon on the train.
- Don't you wanna know where Sharpshooter Island is?
- ... It's in your heart...
- Cue Nami's dubious response after learning where this Island is located, only to hear the song's verse stating he was born there.
- That Sogeking's theme song seems to be a Jet Jaguar homage. Listen to them side by side.
- Absolutely everyone sees right through Usopp's paper-thin Sogeking guise... except Luffy and Chopper.
"We've never met before, but I have a feeling you have great insight."
- The Straw Hats and friends make a pretty damn rough landing in Enies Lobby thanks to the Rocket Man. Luffy, Franky and Kokoro and Chimney are all OK, but the rest of the crew is pretty much buried under a pile of rubble. After Luffy tells them to get up, saying it was nothing, Sanji replies that unlike Luffy's whose body is rubber, they are made of flesh and blood, so they obviously can't be OK after making an entrance like that. They then all pop out of the rubble, screaming and perfectly fine, while Franky comments on how strange they are.
- Nami tries out her upgraded Clima Tact and ends up zapping everyone in the area (allies included) with lightning. Nami goes flying into the air screaming. In response, she lands right next to Usopp/Sogeking/Sniper King and whacks him.
Chopper (oblivious to the masked man's identity): Why'd you hit Sniper King?!?
Nami: Because I felt like it.
- The Marines spot Zoro and Sanji and recognize Zoro as Luffy's "henchman". When Sanji mocks him for this, he dryly remarks that it's still better than being "Pirate A."
Zoro:...Or is that B?
- Chopper gets a great one where he shows an unusually witty insult, offering to make Zoro a special cure for hopeless idiocy after he runs off in the other direction after being directly told to go up the stairs. Given it's Chopper, it's entirely possible that he's perfectly earnest about it.
- Nami then asks him to make some for Sanji, too. Sanji's running ahead babbling about how Robin's waiting for him to save her. Chopper quips he's probably beyond help.
- When Zoro and Sogeking are handcuffed together, Zoro has a rather twisted solution: cut one of their hands off. He reasons they can run to Chopper real quick to re-attach it. Recall, this is a man who considered cutting off his own feet to escape Mr. 3's trap back in Little Garden.
- "Alright, Sogeking. Don't break your stance. You're a katana!"
Sogeking: SOMEBODY CALL MY ATTORNEY! I'M DEFINITELY GONNA SUE YOU!
- Back in Enies Lobby, the scene where we found out what Kaku's Devil Fruit power is. And it only gets more hilarious from there. Jyabura agrees.
: Man, that's lame! Kaku
Did... did you just, like...
- Before all that, Sogeking tries to get a key away from a sleeping Jabra. After being stung by a bee and having his heart stop (but still not waking him up), the last thing that stops him is a rooster that appears out of freaking nowhere.
GREAT! The one time I gotta be quiet, the noisiest
bird in the world appears in front of me! Oh, man, please don't let him crow! (rooster glares at him)
Wait... what's that look? Please don't crow, Mr. Roosters. Please don't... Beat Rooster
: Chirp. Usopp
ROOSTERS DON'T CHIRP! COME ON! Jabra
: (Wakes up)
Huh? A pirate? Well, guess it's time to kick your ass. Usopp
Curse. You. Rooster.
- When he's not kicking ass, Kumadori is a living source of laughs. Especially when he tries to commit seppuku (only to use Tekkai to null it) or when he escapes from a fridge by devouring everything inside.
- Even better, Chopper keeps opening the fridge for a few seconds to grab some cola bottles for Franky (and repeatedly grabbing the wrong thing,) and instead of escaping, Kumadori keeps wasting his chances by giving an overdrawn Large Ham speech about the fridge door opening.
- During one of Kumadori's failed seppukus, Jyabura gets pissed and tells him he wishes he could die already. Then Kumadori gets overly dramatic again and, complete with traditional Japanese music, spotlight shining on him, and falling, confettis mentions his mother in heaven. Jyabura does a complete 180, and sympathizes with him, as he knows the pain of losing a loved one (His girlfriend dumped him). They hug and scream their loved ones' names, as Spandam has an excellent "I'm Surrounded by Idiots..." face.
- "Franky's ass is expanding!!!". And followed by Coup de Boo.
- Usopp's later reaction to seeing it in action, in the following filler arc:
Usopp: FART POWER!
- Seis Fleurs SLAP!
- The entire scene when Kokoro reveals herself to be a mermaid. Everyone she is carrying, who are underwater and holding their breath, all have face faults that make them breathe in surprise. Everything afterwards just makes Sanji a Butt Monkey. From that point on, whenever he tries to think of the mermaids of legend, he thinks back to Kokoro, and starts to cry.
Zoro: "If you think you saw a mermaid, it was really a dugong." It looks like that's really true.
Sanji: Idiot, she hasn't said yet if she's a mermaid! Don't give up the dream!
Kokoro: I'm an icefish mermaid.
*Sanji holds out a hand in protest*
Sanji: STOP IT!!!
- Even though they are in a tough situation, they can still make you laugh.
- Remember the time Paulie managed to avoid a Nosebleed while Nami changed clothes? He can't avoid it this time when Franky's girls both cuddle up to him and refuse to leave. In fact, his nosebleeds come out like firehoses.
- Luffy's traumatic childhood.
: When I tossed you down that bottomless ravine, left you alone in a jungle at night, and tied you to balloons and let you float up in the sky, all of that was to turn you into a strong Marine!
: I'm beginning to understand where his incredible will to live comes from.
- Garp, the hero of the marines, casually mentions to Luffy and Co. that his father is Monkey D. Dragon, the Revolutionary. This causes everyone present to Freak Out (well, except for Robin and the ever clueless Luffy)
Helmeppo: What the hell's wrong with this family!?!note
: Ack! Maybe I shouldn't have said anything! BWA HA HA HA HA! Then, never mind about what I just said.
Everyone except Luffy turns white
for a moment of Stunned Silence
, then let out a Big "WHAT?!"
- When Zambai of the Franky Family shows the Straw Hats their new bounties, Luffy expresses joy, Zoro smirks, and Robin smiles. Nami, Sanji, and Chopper's reactions? Nami is shocked that she now has a bounty (she thought the photo was for a magazine), Sanji is dumbfounded and depressed by the poorly drawn sketch of himself, and poor Chopper is mortified, because he has a bounty of only 50 Berries. The World Gov't thinks he's the Straw Hats' Team Pet. Keep in mind that your average bounty in this series is always over 1 million Berries.
- To expand on Sanji's wanted poster, the marine who took a picture of Sanji thought the photo was a "mysterious phenomenon", because it came out pitch-black. His boss then asks him "Did you... take off the lens cap?"
- There are funny reactions back at some of the crew's old homes. Sanji's old coworkers at Baratie have plenty of laughs over his wanted poster and aren't ashamed to tell customers "He looks exactly like that, we swear!" Meanwhile at Cocoyasi Village, Genzo says he plans to complain to the Marines about posting such a scandalous wanted picture for Nami... while standing next to a huge blowup of the same picture posted on his wall.
- Sanji's reaction to being told by Zoro his poster looks exactly like him.
Zoro I can't understand your words...
- In the English dub, it goes like this.
Sanji: I think I just...
Zoro: Who has the handsome face again?
- The after party. Particularly, Robin saying how she might join in with Luffy and Chopper shoving chopsticks up their nose and the other end in their mouth, as per usual when they celebrate.
- And then there's Sanji's reaction.
- How does the Franky Family get Franky to join the Straw Hats permanently? By stealing his speedo and making him run through Water 7 naked. Cue two episodes worth of Scenery Censor moments.
- But it's not enough. Ultimately it takes Robin getting a little rough. "Dos Fleur... GRAB!" It even gets a quintuple-take!
: Stop it, Robin! I still want him to be a man
when he joins our crew! Robin
: As pirates fed with a treasure, why should we let go without good reason?
- The English dub even added in a small Double Entendre from one of the people watching as it happens:
- Everyone else's reaction, notably the Square Sisters' various comparisons to crushed fruit and Paulie's Jaw Drop (of which his trademark cigarette actually falls out).
- There's a swap in the two dubs. In the original anime, the Square Sisters first say they'll be crushed like tangerines, and Franky cries out "A ORANGEU?!" In the English dub, they say they'll be crushed like "little oranges", and when they show the tangerine (picture atop this page), Franky yells out, "They're called tangerines!!!"
- Usopp's apology and Luffy accepting him back in the Straw Hat Pirates. Which is why the picture headlines Inelegant Blubbering.
Nami (laughing through her tears): You guys are pitiful!
- During Shanks's encounter with Whitebeard. Shanks recognises Marco, the first division commander, and then casually asks him to join his crew.
- During Sanji's fight with Jyabura, the latter tries to bluff Sanji by telling him that Robin is his sister, who was kidnapped by pirates when she was a child. This lie is already unbelievable enough to be funny, especially considering we've already seen her backstory at this point, but the anime goes the extra mile and even includes a ridiculously cheesy fake flashback, complete with Art Shift. Of course, Sanji doesn't buy it.
- In a filler portion of the Post-Enies Lobby arc, Zoro ends up babysitting a few kids. It's already funny enough, but when Zoro has to buy groceries while carrying three babies around his neck, it gets even more hilarious: He sees Sanji coming his way, and runs away before he can see him... only to run into Kokoro. He runs away some more before she can see him, but notices the Franky Family nearby. Ditto, but he runs into Luffy. Then Chopper. Then Usopp. Then Chimney. Then Paulie. After a while, he's so tired he doesn't even attempt to run, and is soon busted by Robin, who playfully teases him about it.
- When Chopper rides with a gang of Galley-La shipwrights and calls out to the other Straw Hats to get them to regroup (along with a little whispered aside that Usopp can come too,) he calls out to the other shipwrights to do it too. They do just that, including one shipwright doing the whispered aside.
- When Luffy, Usopp and Nami bring their gold to an expert advisor to have it changed to money, he tries to scam them by giving them a false estimation, but Nami doesn't fall for it, and slams her foot on the table to make her point. Seeing her looking so serious is actually more awesome than it is funny, but the real funny moment comes right afterwards, when Luffy is so excited to have this much money that he swings his suitcase a little too much, accidentally throwing it away. Nami and Usopp jump after it to catch it before it falls into the river, but Luffy stretches his arm catches it before them, and they fall in the water for nothing. You get three guesses as to what happens next. A: Nami hits him; B: Usopp hits him; C: Nami and Usopp beat the crap out of him. Answer? D: All of the above.
- At one point, Usopp manages to reach Robin on board the Puffing Tom, and they have a talk. However, it is soon interrupted by the sound of someone coming their way, so Usopp hides under Robin's cloak. Then Corgi comes in, and notices something rather... odd about Robin. His reaction is priceless.
- When Sanji sneaks onto the sea train, he hangs out on the back of the last car, wondering how's he's going to be able to sneak his way up the train. As soon as he finishes that sentence, a Cipher Pol Mook walks through the door and spots him.
- During the fight between Franky and Nero, Nero figures out that Franky's weakpoint is his back. Franky then proclaims that he has a super secret move to erase his weak point. The secret move? Lying down.
Nero: That's so stupid I don't even have a comeback.
- And after that, Franky transforms into a centaur (a backwards centaur, with his upper body in the back.) Accompanied by the kanji for "Convert", and "Pervert".
- Lulu's stray hair, which keeps popping up elsewhere when he tries to push it down, going from the other side of his head, to his arm, to Chopper. And then gets weaponized at Enies Lobby.
- Here's one that's easy to miss in an otherwise serious battle. In Episode 325, shortly after launching his Hiken (Japanese for "Fire Fist") attack at Blackbeard and his crew, Ace jumps off the roof of a building to the ground and begins to slowly walk towards Blackbeard. During this scene, there's a sign that supposedly says "HOTEL", but... there's no way the background artist didn't do this on purpose. Captain Obvious much◊?
- In Episode 318's premise is enough for a funny episode: Zoro has to take care of some kids for a woman named Aunt. Hilarity Ensues
- This was mentioned earlier, but Chopper bringing Franky various drinks to help Franky refuel, but it has some odd effects. Vegetable Juice barely makes him any stronger, and tea makes him act like a calm farmer. Franky isn't too pleased.
: HEY! Stop looking at me with that 'I-wonder-what-else-might-happen-if-I-give-him-other-drinks' face, you little bastard! (Goes to show Chopper with Wingding Eyes
- Episode 264 of the English Dub. Kumadori speaks, and his voice is as expected. Jyabura speaks, and his voice is as expected. Fukurou speaks... and it's a teenage girl's voice.
- Robin gets taken away on the Sea Train and Nami and Paulie can't stop her in time. Nami collapses to the floor and appears to be on the verge of tears. Paulie is about to comfort her when Nami bellows in anger.
Paulie: SHE'S PISSED!!!
- Sanji's idiotic over-the-top message very obviously left for Nami in Blue Station just so she could find a letter he hid there.
- Paulie giving Nami the humiliating nickname "Harlot Girl"/"Immoral Girl" (Funimation dub).
- Kalifa finding Spandam's existence as sexual harrassment.
- When a chained but pissed-off Franky bites Spandam's head, the latter screams for help from the CP 9, who are also in the room. However, they couldn't give less of a crap about it, and just stand there. Only when Spandam actually orders Kumadori to help him does the latter do so, and even then, he accidentally sends Spandam flying and crashing into the ceiling in the process.
- During Blueno's fight against Luffy, he uses his Door-Door powers to turn part of Luffy's face into a revolving door and spins it around. It's just as ridiculous as it sounds.
- Due to an extreme case of Poor Communication Kills, Spandam spends a good part of the arc thinking that the invading pirates have only beaten five guards and were long since taken care of. His utter Freak Out when he learns the truth is priceless.
Spandam: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!
- Luffy's first meeting with Brook.
Luffy: Do you poop?
Sanji: Don't ask him a question like that!
Brook: (walks away, grabs a cup of tea and returns) Yes, I do poop.
- Brook's first meeting with the crew. Asking Nami and Robin for their panties. Saying he will patiently wait for dinner, only to start banging on the table and singing about dinner. Burping and farting in-between talking. And then his origin story...
: I'll tell you everything now... It has been a long time since I began drifting on this sea... But let me say, my being a skeleton and not having a shadow are completely different things. To be continued in the next chapter.
- This scene. "Damn, no stamina?!"
- Nami was attacked by an invisible assailant while bathing and screamed, causing Usopp and Chopper (standing guard outside) to barge in. Usopp gets quite an eyeful of Nami and reacts accordingly. (And surprisingly enough, not that way.)
Usopp: (bowing, obviously flustered) Thank you very much!
Chopper: YOU'RE THANKING HER?!?
- Anything involving Zombie Cerberus, which was briefly Luffy's pet (until Gekko Moriah recalled all the zombie spirits and rendered it dead again).
- The first time we see Cerberus, he chases Nami, Usopp, and Chopper as expected. Then Chopper notes one of the barks isn't right and realizes one head is a fox head. Cerberus mopes for a bit... then gets mad and runs even faster. Then, when the others run across him, the reaction is the opposite: Sanji, Franky, and Zoro pity the beast, Robin thinks he's cute, and Luffy... he goes, "Think he's yummy?" It took a moment for the beast to get up the courage to act tough again.
- When Luffy initially beat Cerberus, Robin asked if it was okay as Luffy was riding it. Zoro said, "Don't show the loser pity. You're hurting his pride."
- When they first encountered the Negative Hollows, Zoro showed apathy at Luffy and Franky being affected by them.
Franky: Totally useless. I'm totally useless this week. Whatever I do, I'm useless! I don't have the confidence to live! I wanna die!
Luffy: If I get reborn, I want to become a clam. This sucks. I wanna die.
Zoro: Hmph! You guys are pitiful. Because you guys never pull yourselves together, you let some ghost or something break your spirit.
(A Hollow passes through Zoro; seemingly to test him)
Zoro: I'm sorry that I was born.
- Luffy spots a moaning zombie slowly rising from his grave... and pushes him back down. After a moment of hesitation, the rotting zombie (covered in bandages) bursts out and calls him a moron. Luffy stares blankly at him before putting on a concerned look and noting that he looks badly injured.
- Later, Luffy spots a critically wounded old man and calls out to him as such. Everyone else in his group yell "IT'S A ZOMBIE, IDIOT!", before being corrected by the old man himself. Cue funny reactions from all involved.
- Nami is chased by Lola who wants to kill her to prevent her from stealing Absalom from her. How does she calm her down?
- Especially funny is that Nami mimics Bon Clay's speech mannerisms ("Gimme a BREAAAAAK~!")
- Chopper actually falls for it, despite the fact that he saw her naked earlier.
- Turns out Lola realized she said it only to get away from Absalom, and played along till Nami beat him. She then pounced him almost the moment he hit the floor.
- After being captured, the enemies poke fun at Luffy's apparent fear due to his wearing a suit of armor... he corrects them pointing out that it is a MAN'S ROMANCE to put on a suit of armor. A notion loved by Oda, and most fans, harkening back to Montblanc Cricket (as well as being similar to the gag from Bill & Ted).
- "He ATE the cage?!"
- Usopp waking up Sanji, Luffy and Zoro with the cry of "A beautiful lady swordsman just showed up with a ton of meat!"
- Luffy tells Sanji to go rescue Nami... and Sanji rages so hard, he goes Super Saiyan.
Chopper: Awesome! He exploded!
- Becomes a Brick Joke later on when he's fighting Absalom:
Sanji: You make me so mad, I just wanna EXPLODE! (Proceeds to do so)
Zombies: HE DID!
- And then, in Thriller Bark, long after you probably have forgotten it, we have Perona's reaction to Usopp being immune to her negativity ghosts.
- It's the same reaction Eneru had to Luffy's immunity to electricity. Only it was far better executed in the anime this time.
- She's so dumbfounded and depressed by the revelation that they play their tear jerker music, "Mother Sea"!
- And it turns out he's so negative, that he eventually turned Perona negative with the trick, causing her to grovel to Kumacy!
Perona: You are the only person negative enough to resist my abilities, to which I say... (She and her negative hollows flash a thumbs-up) Cheer up! Life's good!
Usopp: I don't need your pity!
- The zombies actually start yelling words of encouragement at Usopp after it happens, much to his chagrin.
Usopp: Listen up, you zombie bastard! When it comes to negativity, no one's more negative than me!
Zombies: WHAT A TERRIBLE SOURCE OF SELF-ESTEEM!
- In the anime, Usopp's seiyuu was absolutely Chewing the Scenery by the time Usopp was setting up to finish Perona, leading to some hilariously over-the-top delivery.
- Robin tells Professor Hogback to order her and Chopper to jump out of the window. When he does, they step out of the way so he's pointing at Sanji and Zoro's zombies. They then proceed to jump out of the window, still fighting with each other.
- Tactics 15! Pirates Docking Six! Giant Robot Warrior! BIG EMPEROR!
: Oi, Robin. Come on, you need to form a part of it too. Robin
: I won't. I'm embarrassed as a human being.
- The anime makes that joke even better by adding another scene later: When Sanji starts fantasizing about how awesome it would be to see Robin docking, she gives him such an epic Death Glare that he feels it despite not facing her way.
- Zoro's face after the docking in the anime, as if he couldn't believe what he had done.
- During the struggle between the Straw Hats and Oars, the latter is eventually turned upside down after a series of successful attacks. As he tries to stand back on his feet he looks really mad and threatens a gory revenge on the pirates... then he discovers that he's stuck in the ground (because of the horns) and is unable to actually move. Cue a series of slasher smiles from the crew followed by an nonchalant, epic, off-screen No-Holds-Barred Beatdown on Oars.
- Sanji explains why he wanted the power of Suke Suke Fruit (which grants its user invisibility):
If I ever got the ability I wanted to use it to GIRL'S BATH
- Ah no, I meant I asked myself GIRL'S BATH
- No, I wanted to use it to benefit humanity GIRL'S BATH
- When Nami, Chopper and Usopp are first running from the zombies, Nami says that they don't have to worry, because zombies can only shamble forward slowly. Cue Nami looking behind her to see the zombies sprinting at them...only to tire out soon after and have to stop to catch their breaths.
- To ensure Oars hunts down all the Straw Hats, Moria stitched their wanted posters on Oars's arm. When Sanji is forced to face Oars alone, the rest of the crew is confident Oars won't attack Sanji because Sanji's horribly drawn wanted poster looks nothing like him. Then it turns out Oars is the only person in the entire One Piece world who recognizes Sanji in his wanted poster and attacks him anyway.
Sanji: "What part of me looks like that poster?!"
- As Brook merrily makes his way towards the zombie holding his shadow, he passes a hallway of paintings, which proceed to come alive and attempt to attack him. He defeats them with ease, cuing this scene:
- The Stealth Pun during Luffy's first fight with Moria. Luffy, having been unable to get past Moria's Brick Bat, jumps off the balcony he's on and strikes upward with a Gum-Gum Stamp, smashing through the bottom of the platform and hitting Moria right in the rear. He literally kicked Moria's ass. Doubles as a CMOA, since that was the first hit he landed during that fight.
- The Establishing Character Moment of Captain Lola The Proposer and her crew:
The Risky Brothers:
Allow us to present the captain of the Rolling Pirates: Lola The Proposer! Current count is 4,443 proposals! Lola: (Flatly)
Oh my, are you handsome. Will you marry me? Luffy: (Without missing a beat)
No, thanks. (Beat) The Risky Brothers:
REJECTED! That makes 4,444! Better luck next time!
- During the Straw Hats' fight with Duval, his pirates talk about staying in formation. The problem is, in Japanese, the the term they use, hentai hikō, can mean either "formation flying" (編隊飛行) or "perverted delinquent" (変態非行) with slightly different kanji. So Franky thinks they're calling for him!
- While wandering around Sabaody, Zoro meets a World Noble (Celestial Dragon) and, not knowing that nobody is allowed to talk to them or even cross their paths, rudely asks him if he wants DIRECTIONS or something. Mind you, this is coming from a guy who can get lost on a straight path.
- After talking with Rayleigh, the Straw Hat Pirates prepare to cause ruckus for 3 days to give him time to coat the ship. Luffy's words after that are just EPIC.
Luffy: We're up against an admiral! We'll have to make sure none of us die, eh?
Usopp: Don't say scary stuff like that!
Franky: Three days, huh?
Luffy: Then, let's go... To the amusement park!
Sanji, Nami, and Zoro: Oi!
- The entire chapter where the crew found Camie the mermaid.
- This page. The Thousand Sunny's Gaon Cannon is more awesome than even Luffy can handle.
- In a variation of You Just Told Me, we have this gem from Episode 387. The Straw Hats go to rescue Camie's Fishman friend only to find that it's Hatchan, one of Arlong's mooks from nearly 350 episodes back! When he hears them, he disguises himself by covering his body with ink. As they approach, this great dialogue happens:
: Hmm... that silhouette, and that familiar voice... Nami, what do you think? Nami
: There definitely is something suspicious about him. Luffy
: What? Sanji
: Well we'll find out if we ask him, right? HEY! Is Arlong doing alright? Hatchan
: Huh? Arlong? No, he got got captured by the Marines along with everyone else.
I escaped, and I'm now living out my old dream as a seller of takoyaki. (Beat) Nami and Zoro
: ... I knew it. Luffy
: ... Ar... long... eh?! EEEH?!
SO IT WAS YOU, HUH, YOU DAMN SQUID?!! Hatchan
: DAMN IT!!!
- Duval's face revealed.
- Hatchan and Zoro's comment on comparing Sanji to him that ended up giving him Color Failure.
: Those two look exactly like each other! Zoro
: Like two peas in a pod. Sanji
: weird reaction◊
- When somebody says something like "They look exactly the same!" Brook just loses it, falling to his knees and pounding the floor with his fist.
- The perfect finish for this arc is after Caimie has rescued Sanji from under the water. She brings him to the surface, and then cries out going 'Oh my God, please, help!". While everyone asks what's wrong, Camie explains how she thought Sanji was alright, but now his nose is bleeding. Nami's reaction?
Nami: ... Just leave him there.
- Luffy, Eustass Kid and Trafalgar Law bickering at each other about how each of them could take out the siege around the Slave Auction House single-handedly. And at one point, Luffy going Leeroy Jenkins again.
Kid: Straw Hat, you really are screwed up in the head!
- After Caimie is kidnapped and taken to the human slave auction, Chopper is told by Sanji and Usopp to wait for him. This is a serious situation, but Brook is completely chilling out. He explains that panicking isn't going to make Usopp come any faster, so they might as well relax while they wait for him. Chopper takes Brook's advice so well that by the time Usopp comes to pick them up, they are relaxing as if they were on a beach. Cue Face Fault by Usopp.
- In Impel Down, Luffy and a giant Sphinx play Whack-A-Mole with Mr. 3. No, really.
- In the anime's rendition of the scene where Garp and Sengoku discuss Luffy's breaching of Impel Down, Sengoku gets so angry with Garp that he swipes his bag of cookies and downs them himself.
- When Luffy fights Magellan the second time, he gets Mr. 3 to give him special armor on his hands and legs. He promptly goes into Let's Get Dangerous mode for a second before ruining it. (Anime, Episode 449)
Luffy: I don't know why, but this brings a tear to my eye! Thank you!! Thanks for making me look so cool.
- Our first time in the Warden's office. While Magellan swoons over Hancock's beauty, Hannyabal is sitting at his desk, muttering, "Someday it will be mine..." then the phone rings. (Paraphrased)
Hannyabal: (answering phone) Hello, warden's office.
Magellan: (breathing poison, furious) Why are you answering my phone!?
Hannyabal: (keels over) Agh! You're killing me! Blast! I wanted... to be the warden...!
- The whole scene counts as one.
Hannyabal: H-Hey! Be careful when you exhale! Your breath is poison gas! (Magellan is shown laughing his ass off at Hannyabal) Right! That's so funny!
—>Magellan: That serves you right, stupid vice-warden!
—>Hannyabal: He spews venom!
—>Hancock: (Kicks Magellan down) Hey, you! What did you breathe in my face?! That's rude!
—>Magellan: Wow! What a beautiful woman! I'm in love!
- Buggy and Mr. 3 trying to get through Level 5: Freezing Hell.
- Emporio Ivankov doing the Newkama Dance. After watching this you know this place is weird when Bon Clay of all people is left speechless.
- Don't forget Ivankov's Delayed Reaction to finding out Luffy is Dragon's son. Complete with him flying backwards into the wall.
- Taken Up to Eleven in the anime, where Ivankov takes about twenty seconds to realize that Luffy just called Dragon "dad", and another six seconds after THAT to propel himself backwards into the wall.
- On the way to Impel Down, there's Hancock's daydreaming moments about Luffy. All of them. She imagines Luffy as a typical bishonen, complete with Art Shift, gets jealous just by thinking about Nami and Robin, and even carves a heart in the wall with their names on it, like a teenage girl with a crush.
- Buggy's dejected face when Luffy doesn't remember his Buggy Ball attack is priceless (especially since he actually closes his mouth during it.)
- "As for me, I am currently in Hell."
- The anime reveals that it's entirely his own fault too, due to a rather egregious case of foot-in-mouth.
- Even better was his Eneru-ish expression when he properly saw his "savior" Elizabeth. He was expecting a beautiful, buxom maiden like this◊. Then, a little miscommunication later he's confronted by this!◊
- Even funnier is that he does end up being an okama for a short while.
- How did he revert back? The new of Ace dying was so shocking that he went from being womanly to manly in 2 seconds top.
- Anime only. In Episode 421, Zoro is stuck in a castle after being sent by Kuma and is being treated by Perona, who was also sent there by Kuma. After Perona hits Zoro with a Negative Hollow, he collapses, wakes up and finds out he's been stuffed into Kumacy the bear's body. We then have this following exchange.
Zoro: Get off of me!
*Perona looks at him angrily and hits him with a Negative Hollow*
Zoro: I'm sorry that I yelled.
Perona: It's ok as long as you learned your lesson.
Zoro: (recovers) You little bitch! (gets hit with another Negative Hollow) I'm sorry about my attitude. (recovers again) Screw you! (gets hit again) I'll call you 'mistress' (recovers again) I won't! (gets hit for the last time) I'm really sorry that I'm being so rude. (Perona laughing) That's enough, you idiot! (starts heading North) I don't have any time to waste. I got to go back.
Perona: (points East) The exit is this way.
(Zoro walks South)
Perona: Why did I tell you that!? Where're you going? How can you miss the door!?
(Zoro blushes in embarrassment)
- And 35 episodes later, he's still looking for his swords, and Perona's reaction as he screws up her directions AGAIN harkens back to Enies Lobby:
Perona: Fantasista, huh?
- Brooks whereabouts are also pretty hilarious. He ends up in an island right in the middle of a Satanic cult's ritual, and his terrifying appearance makes them think he's the Devil. While they're nervously wondering what to do to appease him, Brook spots a beautiful female cultist and does his usual Would you please show me your panties? routine. The entire cult proceeds then to show him their underwear.
Brook: Um... I don't want to see the men's underwear.
Return to Sabaody
- Post time-skip: MANSOPP's reintroduction, and almost immediate reaction to the guy who's 'doppleganging' Sogeking. Even though Usopp KNOWS the guy is a phony, because Sogeking and Usopp are the same person.
- What is Sanji's first thoughts after landing?: TARGET -- WOMAN: LOCK-ON.
- Followed closely by him flipping the okamas the bird and vowing never to return to "Hell". And then he thanks them for the lift.
- Ironically Zoro was the first one to make his way back... only for him to get on the wrong ship. Which he then cleaves in half. While underwater.
Zoro: This was the result of a quirk of fate... hate your own destinies which set me upon your ship like an angel of death. I got on the wrong ship!
- Later, we are subjected to Oda's ultimate mixture of hilarious and disturbing in a suggestive panel with the fake Robin crouching before Chopper, offering him a cucumber at the end of her partially extended arm.
- The entirety of the intro from Chapter 599: Boa Hancock tries to have Luffy disguise himself with a fake nose and mustache, then proceeds to reveal the massive amount of stuff she's packed (500 pairs of clothes, 1000 lunchboxes, 5 years worth of handkerchiefs, tissues, and towels, and 3 years worth of drinkable water, snacks, and silverware, as well as hairbrushes, soaps, creams, and bug bite ointments. And yes the list is exactly that long.) then as Luffy leaves, she ponders in her mind whether or not his promise to see her again is a marriage proposal... only to be immediately refuted by elder Nyon.
- Last but not least for 599, Franky being pretty nonchalant about his GIANT MECHANICAL ARMS. To which Robin's has to say:
Robin: You never change, Franky.
- Sanji talking in one-word sentences to Zoro. Followed by the two trying to outdo each other by arguing over who killed the Pacifista they both destroyed.
- Sanji in Chapter 602 is one from start to finish. He sees Perona, all grown up, and swoons over her. He then sees Nami and Robin, causing him to blast off into the distance with a high pressure nosebleed. And then he merely sees Hancock and is petrified. She didn't even use her powers. And then he hears that Luffy was on the Isle of Women, and his reaction is priceless. Finally, when the okama are holding back the Marines, he suddenly feels like his heart is being crushed.
- In Episode 522, Perona has to use a Negative Hollow on Sanji.
- The okamas get one in this chapter, too. One winks, trying to do the joke "shooting star" wink, only to have the star break before it gets an inch from his face.
- Brook's ridiculous(ly awesome) songs are hilarious enough, but the anime one-upped the hilarity in Episode 520 when Brook pours water on his face after a tiring performance... only to have the water pour right through him and onto the floor as his manager watches speechless and horrified.
- The imposter Luffy versus Sentomaru.
Fishman Island Arc
- It seems the rigors of their training have rendered Zorro and Luffy (even more) mentally retarded compared to 2 years ago, as right-after Nami warned everyone to specifically NOT put multiple holes through the Thousand Sunny's protective-bubble at once or create a single wide spectrum hole at once if they don't want it to break and drown them all, Luffy and Zorro hungrily readied themselves to machine-gun punch and slash at the delicious-looking fish outside. Usopp and Chopper had to beat them silly to prevent everyone from entering a watery grave..... TWICE.
- 603 has several. Team Sanji blasts off again, how everyone ignores the giant fish that's sneaking up on their ship only for it to get killed by a bigger fish, Usopp and Chopper hamming it up together again, Franky's 'robot voice' demonstration, and Sanji's reaction to Kuma 'saving' the crew.
- 604 has Chopper's suggestion of Sanji having to go rehabiliation with low intensity photos so he stops blasting off again every time he so much as looks at a woman. Also Nami's failed attempt at teaching the crew about deep sea currents. And of course, when they finally find a giant, ship eating Kraken in their way to Fishman Island, what is the natural reaction of Luffy? Tame it.
- Not to mention when Brook tried to make another Skull Joke about it being cold, Chopper promptly cuts in with, "Wow. And you don't even have skin!" The next panel then promptly shows Brook on his knees, face down with disappointment.
- Caribou's plan to ambush the Straw Hats was flawless. He'd use a sea monster to tow his ship to Sunny, invade and mow them down with a gatling gun. But he could've never ever predicted the singular fatal flaw (discounting many other factors that would've made his plan utterly useless): the sea creature he used, Mohmoo, was trounced by the Straw Hats 532 issues/492 episodes before. The moment he saw Luffy and Sanji, Mohmoo swam away in a panic, leaving Caribou stranded, alone and unarmed, with the Straw Hats. Oops...
- 606 has Caribou escaping his bonds, hiding in a barrel while plotting to kill all the Straw Hats... and Franky just slowly, frame-by-frame, appears in the picture and curiously looks in the barrel. Cue the barrel being hammered shut. Also, the sheer number of things that come to attack the Sunny is ridiculous. And the underwater 'ghost ship', Flying Dutchman, freaks out Brook... Even though he was found on one.
- The anime (Episode 525) is hilarious on Caribou hiding. He sees Franky watching his scheming, then just looks away and slowly sinks back into the barrel.
- It also adds another scene regarding the crew's reaction to the Flying Dutchman, Franky calms Nami, Brook, Usopp and Chopper down by reminding them that the last time they encountered a "ghost ship", the only thing they found in it was a certain "funny skeleton". Just as they calm down, Robin decides to troll them and notes that seeing how they encountered a Kraken, a creature thought to be legendary, ghost ships might be real after all. This causes them to get scared all over again, and Brook even faints. Franky calls her out on it, but Robin just giggles.
- 607 has the reaction the Kraken has to an erupting undersea volcano, Sanji's reaction to Fishman Island and the subsequent scene, and Luffy being Luffy towards what is basically Arlong's pirates reformed.
- 608 has The front cover — Brook walking dogs. With afros. Also Sanji's reaction to the mermaid district.
- 609 has Sanji giving out a huge nosebleed that's shaped like a mermaid. Also, a mermaid using snorkeling gear. A MERMAID.
- 610. Seriously, the look on Sanji's face when he realizes the Okamas had given him his blood donation was priceless.
- 611. In return for all the Straw Hats did for him and Camie two years ago, Pappug (now a famous fashion designer) allows the Straw Hats to have anything they want in the store for free. He comes to regret this immediately, as it only takes FOUR Straw Hats a single panel to empty the entire store.
- 614. What is Luffy's solution to the problem of smuggling a Giant Moemaid Princess out of the castle? Put her inside her (relatively) tiny pet shark. Cue Luffy riding a giant fat shark going out of the doors, with the Mermaid Princess inside it.
- Speaking of the Mermaid Princess, Brook goes off to save her while asking the king of Fishman Island, who happens to be that princess's father, if he could see her panties, even though said princess is a mermaid! A minister also asks to be allowed to go with Brook so he could ensure the princess's safety, and Brook mistakes him for another fan.
- 618. Sanji was on the brink of death from being with regular mermaids and the Mermaid Princess is right behind him. What does he do? To accomplish his dream, he chooses death... and gets STONED! AGAIN!
- Jinbe's expression in 619 when he realizes that Luffy brought Shirahoshi from her tower. Looks like he's Not So Above It All after all.
- 620: Oda setting up of the 'Simon and Garfunkel' joke on the cover. Seriously, he planned a joke back in the 1990s that just got realized in 2011.
- 622: The future Vice Admiral Strawberry's perfectly rectangular, multiple foot-tall hair which rests a single Marine cap is just so silly, you can't help but laugh.
- And even better, in Chapter 624 it's BANDAGED UP after being bull rushed by Fisher Tiger.
- Even better? Oda revealed that that's not hair: That's his head!!!
- 626: Vander Decken is about to write invitations for the wedding he is hoping to have with Shirahoshi, when he realizes he doesn't have any friends he can invite.
- 627: The revelation that Luffy slept through the entire 7-chapter flashback sequence.
- 628: Usopp's imitation of Robin, right down to changing his eyes into hers.
- And Brook's reaction: "Yohoho!! Spot on!!"
- 630: The whole thing with Ikaros and Daidaros. Not only is it a parody of the Icarus story, but a giant squid somehow flew too close to the sun and dried. Which is why he (one of Hodi's subordinates) is weak to fire, at least psycholgically.
- And what about Zeo, who's using his camouflage powers to fight the residents while lecturing them at the same time... and then gets stomped and walked over several times in a row (by his own men nonetheless), and still acts as never happened.
- 634: Luffy's logic about why he doesn't want to be a hero, followed up by Jinbe's response (and how easily Luffy is persuaded). Also Jinbei's "strategy" and him worrying about a strategy name.
Luffy: Let's say you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat. A hero would divide it amongst the people. I WANT TO EAT THAT MEAT!!
Jinbe: Fine, I'll feed you all the meat you want, just do what I say!
- When Jinbe is describing how Luffy will sneak in in Megalo's mouth, Megalo freaks out in the background.
- In the color spread, Brook has lodged himself in Shirahoshi's bra.
- In the exact same color spread, Sanji appears to be smoking. Underwater.
- 635: This chapter is basically a mix of these and Awesome Moments. Highlights include how Sanji learned Geppou and everything Chopper does while riding on the tank.
- You know how there's a Running Gag of Chopper being confused with other creatures? In chapter 636, that list now includes Luffy thinking Chopper's new horn point is a stag beetle.
- Zeo in Chapter 640. Basically, he's lying on the ground while Brook is accidentally stepping on his head. Zeo is firmly convinced that he is headbutting Brook's foot away. Emphasis on firmly.
- Not to mention what happens right before it. Zeo is camouflaged and grabbing Nami's ankles and Ikaros Much is about to impale her with a spear. Brook sees this and immediately rushes to Nami and asks to see her panties. Brook then gets speared in the back and slapped in the face at once.
- Sanji vs. Wadatsumi. Wadatsumi reveals that he can puff up like a blowfish. Sanji is currently standing on his cheek. Sanji's response? "Kraken is bigger." So Wadatsumi expands again, and Sanji just keeps egging him on.
- Zeo tries to attack Brook while invisible, but since he's yelling the attack name at the top of his lungs Brook manages to stab him anyway. And then Zeo has the balls to seriously claim that he was actually trying to break Brook's sword tip off with his own body.
- In the anime, Zeo's reaction to Brook placing his recently lost skull back to his place.
- When a fishboy wonders if humans are as bad as the New Fishman Pirates say, Madame Shirley tells him that the ones fighting to protect Fishman Island are human, to which the boy asks, pointing at Brook; "Even him?"
Madame Shirley: Well, I'm not sure about half of them...
- After Brook's Berserk Button is pressed:
Brook: Stop right there! Those are your men!! And you, what would you know?! It's not like you've died before! Die and be left as a grudge!!? That's absurd! Nothing is left behind! After death, living things are all just bones!!
Franky: You've gotten a lot more persuasive.
Brook: THAT'S VERY KIND OF YOU!!
- From Chapter 646, Chopper doing his happy dance... While in Monster Point!
- While Usopp and Chopper go gaga over Franky's Laser Weapon, Nami and Robin just stare.
- Brook, after defeating Zeo, makes an utterly badass line...and then ruins it.
Brook: "Even blood freezes in the wind of Hell" and...I hope it flips some skirts up too!
- From Chapter 647:
- 649 does a Call Back to 634 when Zoro is trying to explain why being heroes is a bad thing. He uses Luffy's meat analogy only with booze (made even better by the fact that Zoro wasn't even around when Luffy made the original analogy).
Nami: What is it with you guys and that theory!?
- Also, King Neptune thinking Robin was coming onto him after she called him to speak to him alone.
- In a quick, one-panel shot, Nami is apparently out-drinking Prince Fukaboshi.
- 650: Nami gets excited when told that Neptune is willing to give the whole treasury to the Straw Hats for the capture of Caribou, and then she gets mad at the Big Three for letting Caribou escape. Long story short: no matter how powerful they've become, Zoro and Luffy (Sanji being Sanji, he doesn't count) are still afraid of Nami.
- 652 has everyone absolutely freaking out that Luffy challenged one of the Emperors... except Nami, who's annoyed that Luffy gave up all the treasure and so beats the Monster Trio to a bloody pulp. Then Luffy tries to motivate everyone to go to the New World, while still suffering from Nami's horrible beating.
- In the following chapter, Nami is given a new Log Pose for the New World. She's told that the needles can be used to determine how dangerous an island is. Unfortunately, Luffy overhears this and immediately picks the most dangerous one. Cue Usopp and Nami crying since Luffy is all-too happy to drag them into danger for fun.
- In the same scene, Luffy interrupts by wrapping his neck around Nami, followed by Nami shaking his outstretched head to berate him while still tied up.
- "And then I did a big fart!"
- Sanji's idea of what Big Mom looks like. Please note that this is terrible wrong.
- When Franky introduces Den to Luffy in the anime...
That's Den-chan, brother of Tom, my shipwright master, doing the recoating for us. Luffy:
Oh, okay! So he's a shipwright who's coating Franky's brother! *beat, Franky has a "WTF?" look on his face* Franky: *gives a thumbs-up* Yeah, something like that.
Punk Hazard Arc
- In anime episode 575, the Monster Trio's matter-of-fact solutions to dealing with the insane weather conditions of the New World:
- The crew recieves a distress call from someone on Punk Hazard. Robin tells Luffy not to pick up the call, saying that it might be a fake, set up as trap by the Marines to locate pirates ( Turns out she's only half-right: the Marines were listening, but the distress call was genuine). Luffy still picks it up, and immediately announces he's going to be the Pirate King.
- At the end of the call, the caller is stabbed and supposedly killed by the samurai he mentioned. Luffy's reaction ? "Hmm, smells like trouble..."
- In the anime, when Nami explains how dangerous the area around Punk Hazard is :
- The very fact that a man's lower half can move and talk is hilarious in itself, but Zoro and Robin not giving a flying fuck about that makes it even funnier.
- AND Luffy automatically wants the lower-half guy to join his crew.
- And in the next chapter, Luffy attaches the legs to his waist to pretend that he's a centaur.
- AND a few chapters later, this causes an actual centaur to mistake him for a real one.
- In the next chapter, the other half of the crew meets a TALKING, SEVERED HEAD, which they have to physically PUT TOGETHER while it's STILL talking to them.
- The head lashes at Nami for being upfront and dressing inappropriately. She askes if he doesn't like her outfit, but he (with Blush Sticker) admits that he does, and gets beat up for it.
- Chapter 659, Luffy's team finds a river that requires swimming over. As Zoro and Usopp can swim but Luffy and Robin can't, Robin imagines her and Luffy riding Zoro & Usopp across the river.
- The Franky Tank,and everyone doing the SUUUUUUPEEEEER!!! pose.
- In 661, Law causes Sanji, Nami, Franky and Chopper to switch bodies. Franky is now in Chopper's body and Nami is in Franky's body, but the kicker? Sanji is in Nami's body and Chopper is in Sanji's!
- In Chapter 662, it's revealed that Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Brook, and Sanji have new wanted posters. The funny part? Sanji's is no longer a painting, but a photo of the back of his head.
- In 663, anything that involves Sanji checking out his 'new body' while pissing off Nami who's in Franky's body. She even goes as far as punching her original body!
"Sanji": WE ARE NAMI-SAN!
Usopp and Brook: Finally! We've been waiting!
- Luffy getting depressed after losing his 'extra legs', which belong to the Samurai from Wano.
- Also involving the 2/3 completed Samurai...
- It's quickly revealed that the talking lower half of the samurai wasn't talking at all. It was mimicking speech by farting.
- Basically anything that involves the swapped Straw Hats. Mirroring the audience, even Luffy and Usopp laugh their asses off!
- Tashigi in Smoker's body and Smoker in Tashigi's body. Wrap your head around that and try not to burst out laughing.
- How to not get confused with Luffy's bodyswapped crew members? Make them wear paper masks on their heads.
- Kinda hard to see if you don't know what to look for, but when the above occurs, you see Franky in Chopper's body trying to do his usual pose. Only problem? Chopper's arms are too short!
- Chapter 665: Franky making weird facial expressions while in Chopper's body with Robin calling him out on it.
Robin: I never want to see that expression coming from Chopper's face again!
Robin: Franky, can you just not speak while you're in that body? Ever.
- Brownbeard claims he doesn't know much about the Yeti Cool Brothers... before revealing a ton of details about them.
- Nami tries to imitate the Radical Beam pose while she's in Franky's body, prompting Chopper to yell at her for not taking the BEAM~! seriously.
- In chapter 667, Franky asks Chopper to give him a Rumble Ball so he could change into Monster Point. Chopper agrees, but before he could even start explaining, Franky eats it, causing Chopper's body to morph into Monster Point right away. He goes on a rampage, and just won't stop attacking Luffy! This would normally be a serious situation, but here, it's played for laughs.
- In Chapter 668, Law meets the Straw Hats for the first time. He's quite visibly disturbed by their...quirks, especially when Usopp ties the now-back-in-his-body Chopper onto his head because he can't move.
- The face that Law makes at this moment is so priceless◊, even Robin laughed! Made even funnier because both happen both be stoics for their respective crews.
- When Law refuses to allow Chopper on his head, he carries him around like a keychain.
- When Robin brings up that a pirate alliance could end in betrayal, especially since Luffy is so trusting, Luffy naturally turns to Law and asks him if that's the case. Law just calmly responds "No." This is juxtaposed with an annoyed Usopp in the foreground.
- In Chapter 669, Tashigi accidentally activates Smoker's Devil Fruit ability, causing her to fly around uncontrollably.
- Zoro, Sanji and Brook imagining who the giant footsteps they saw (Actually the Yeti Cool Brothers') might belong to.
- Luffy, Franky and Robin barge right into Caesar Clown's lab, even though they were supposed to stick to the plan of just capturing Clown. Bonus points for Franky actually screaming that out loud!
- In chapter 670, Luffy finds out that Smoker and Tashigi have been body swapped. His reaction? Start laughing. While still fighting them.
- In chapter 671, Caesar tries to take Luffy down with a huge explosion... only to realize that Luffy dodged it and is standing right behind him. Caesar's face is just pure gold.
- Sanji being in Nami's body leads to a great deadpan exchange with Zoro in the anime:
Zoro: You're not giving it back, are you?
Sanji: Of course not.
- In chapter 675, Nami saves Usopp from under a pile of rubble. Because she's still in Sanji's body, Usopp mistakes her for him at first, causing him to be disappointed when he remembered it. Nami immediately calls him out on this.
- Vergo constantly getting food stuck to his face.
- In Chapter 677, Sanji can't run any further as he's still in Nami's body, until he gropes Nami's breast. This gives him such an amazing boost that he manages to catch the dragon in seconds.
Zoro: What's that nonsense power?!
- There's also Tashigi's reaction to finding out Smoker has opened her shirt while he was in her body. After she fixes herself, she pouts adorably and gives Smoker a glare.
- In Chapter 678, Luffy pulls out a new technique, Gum Gum UFO. Yep, now Luffy can fly, apparently. And it's hilarious.
- Chapter 679, Vergo gets ready to join the fight, but there's one problem.
Vergo: I can't seem to find my sword.
Monet: Isn't that because you're not a swordsman?
Vergo: That's right... I'm not a swordsman.
- Chapter 686: Sanji's antics: First, he is leading the charge of Marine soldiers. Then, they all see Zoro and make faces at him. He then sees Monet, who Zoro was fighting, and falls down because of her beauty. The Marines soldiers likewise start to yell how cute she is, even though she's a harpy, and Monet starts to blush.
- Chopper sees Monet in her snow monster form and freaks out similarly to when he saw Holy on Skypeia: with his hat flying off his head while the antlers are still attached to his hat.
- Chapter 691: Zoro's No Sense of Direction is taken Up to Eleven when he actually ends up running up to everyone from the front when he was originally behind them!
- Chapter 695: When everyone makes it out of the collapsing facility, everyone gets to see the Franky Shogun. Except for Law and Smoker, all of the guys (Including the kidnapped children, the Marines, and Caesar's former henchmen) are absolutely blown away by how awesome it is, but the girls (Again, including the kids and the Marines (Well, Tashigi)) still don't give a crap, and just stare.
- In the anime version, when they show the reaction of the females, the background music slowly dies down and then stops just to emphasize the females' unimpressed reaction.
- Chapter 696: Once all fights are over, Law pulls Luffy aside and warns him they need to keep moving or their enemies will catch up with them. Luffy looks serious, agrees to tell his friends, and then turns around and declares it's party time. Law's reaction is priceless.
- Chapter 698 is full of funny moments.
- Chopper yelling at Sanji for hitting Caesar... only to tell him to do it AFTER he's finished tending to his wounds. Sanji even lampshades this.
- Franky's pigtails.
- Caesar's face here◊.
- When Luffy announces that they formed an alliance with Law's crew, he puts his hand on Law's shoulder and gives a big grin, while Law grimaces giving off the impression that he's made a huge mistake.
- Chapter 699: Sanji, Brook and Kin'emon learn that Momonosuke is taking a bath with Robin. They immediately go there, and find that they have just finished bathing, and Robin is holding the lucky kid near her breasts. Jealous, the three perverts gang up on him to scold him, scaring the hell out of the poor kid in the process, and get beat up by Nami as a result. Thankful, Momonosuke calls Nami a princess, which she likes a lot. She hugs him and tells him he can sleep in her room tonight, which shocks Sanji, Kinemon and Brook. The final straw is the smirk Momonosuke gives at the end of all this.
Sanji/Brook/Kin'emon: THIS KID IS THE WORST!!!!!
- Even better in the anime, where Momonosuke motorboats Nami before giving that perverted look.
- Chapter 700: Even Law gets caught up in the Straw Hats hijinks, after trying to warn them again about preparing for Dressrosa, Luffy stops everything for a food break.
Sanji, I'm hungry, Whats for breakfast? Sanji:
Waah, I want a cotton candy sandwich!! Robin:
Just tea for me. Law:
I don't like bread so- *which prompts a Face Fault
- True to his word the next page shows him eating onigiri.
- When Doflamingo mentions that there's something the Straw Hats would go to any lengths to get, Luffy believes it to be meat. He starts drooling like crazy, has hearts in his eyes, and even faints from envy.
- When Luffy mispronounces Dressrosa's name as "Dress Olga", Robin imagines an ugly old hag in a dress.
- Buggy the Clown is revealed to be a Warlord. Several fans already guessed this, but it's still funny to get an official confirmation.
- We finally see Bonney after she got captured by Blackbeard and Akainu. What's she doing? Calmly reading a newspaper and eating pizza.
- 701: The reaction to Dressrosa being home to living toys is priceless.
- There's also Luffy and Momonosuke's arguing, which the latter takes advantage of to get Nami to hug him near her breasts again. The perverted look on dragon!Momonosuke's face is hilarious.
- 702: The cover. Caribou has been mistaken for somebody else. That somebody else? Revolutionary Commander Gaburu, who apparently is One Piece's answer to Che Guevara - Who looks exactly like Caribou (except he wears a hat). The look on Caribou's face says everything.
- 703: Sanji's interactions with Violet, the beautiful dancer.
- Luffy intends to participate in the tournament to win his brother's Devil Fruit. Franky tells him he can go all out, but that he musn't let everyone know who he is. Luffy says he got it, but literally on the next panel, he already starts to reveal his name. Cue Dope Slap from Franky. The kicker is that Luffy ends up entering the tournament as "Lucy" because of that.
- 704: Meet Cavendish, "White Horse Knight" Prince of the Pirates, who switches back and forth between being an effeminate, educated Bishonen and a raging beast. Why is that? Two years ago, Luffy, and, by extension, the Eleven Supernovae, overshadowed his reputation as a talented new rookie by being more talented and rookie than him. Attention Whore much?
- Not to mention Luffy keeps ignoring him too.
- He also carries a rose, much like a lot of Bishounen characters in anime do. What does he do with his? He eats it.
- All the gladiators' horrified reactions when Luffy momentarily forgets that he's supposed to be in disguise and gives out his real name.
- In the anime, when Bartolomeo enters the ring and tells the entire audience to go to hell, they start throwing trash at him. Barto casually dodges it all, and it hits other gladiators instead. His laugh and the trollface he makes are the finishing blow.
- Chapter 707, Cavendish is off on a rant about how he can never forgive the Worst Generation and how he has to kill them all. Luffy is still in disguise standing right next to him. The very instant he finishes talking, Chinjao walks up behind them them and casually asks, "Hey, Straw Hat Luffy, how's Garp doing?". Luffy and Cavendish's Oh, Crap expressions make it even funnier.
- As his block is having a battle royale, what does Bartolomeo do? He's nonchalantly taking a piss in the water surrounding the arena.
- Chapter 711: Robin tries to convince the dwarves who captured her that she didn't mean any harm. At first, they don't believe her, but they do a total 180 the second Robin answers that it's true. The second time this happens, which is literally seconds later, Robin has a priceless, Law-like Face Fault. Yes, you read that right; Robin has a Face Fault.
- Chapter 712: Violet scans Sanji's mind with her power... and finds out his mind is mostly filled with perverted thoughts. The poor young woman is so shocked she even screams.
- Chapter 713: Usopp's lies: he not only claims he has Haki, but he was the one who took down 50,000 Fishmen on Fishman Island. He also has the balls to claim he's a descendant of Montblanc Noland, which bites him in the ass later as the dwarves ask him to help them take down Doflamingo's crew. His face is priceless.
- Robin even calls Usopp a bad man for going this far with his lying.
- Just as Sanji is all lovey-dovey after seeing Violet give a cute and genuine smile, Kin'emon pops out of nowhere, scaring the hell out of him.
- As Violet escapes, she calls Sanji a romantic fool. Kin'emon gets his attention by calling him "Mr. Romantic Fool".
- The townspeople's reactions to the Franky Tank.
- Chapter 714: Even though this is rather serious, you can't help but laugh at how Nami, Chopper, Brook, Momonosuke and the Thousand Sunny look as "art forms".
- Chapter 716: Jean Ango's face upon realizing that the weapons he kept throwing at Luffy ended up getting lodged in Chinjao's body.
- As the audience was expecting an epic duel between Sai and Ideo, both are taken out in one hit by Chinjao and Luffy.
- Chapter 719: What Chinjao looked like 30 years ago.
- Everyone's reaction to seeing Luffy making Chinjao's drill reappear.
- Chapter 720: Bartolomeo is a secret Fanboy of Luffy who gushes at the mere sight of him.
- Chinjao wants to thank Luffy for giving back his drill on his head. He bows down to Luffy, who's fighting Cavendish at the time, but because he hasn't used his drill in a while he accidentally attacks him by splitting the ground.
- Chapter 721: During the time Thunder Soldier is taking care of Rebecca, he beats up a boy for hitting her and then beats up another boy for trying to give her a love letter.
- Chapter 722: Cavendish enters the ring and gives a passionate speech to the audience who throw boos at Rebecca. A moment of shock and silence, and the impressed audience forgets about Rebecca and starts cheering for Cavendish. His reaction is priceless.
Cavendish: Oh. My. God. I'm, like, super popular!!! *bishie sparkles*
- Chapter 723: Following Jora's defeat, Brook reverses one of his perverse lines by saying he doesn't want to see her panties!
- Chapter 724: Caesar complains about being back on the Thousand Sunny alongside fellow prisoner Jora.
Caesar: Jora, help me!
Jora: I'm literally in the same boat as you!
- Chapter 727: When Usopp was about to ask Thunder Soldier about his relations with the former king, Riku, he ignores and interrupts Usopp's question and starts telling the history of Dressrosa.
- Chapter 728: Usopp, Robin and Franky learning that they're the reason why Thunder Soldier and the Tontatta tribe are going to war against Doflamingo right now. When Doflamingo abdicated his position as king, to trick the Straw Hats and Law, it brought hope to them. But when they learned that the information was false, they were so devastated that they decided that they would fight against Doflamingo in a blaze of glory even if it meant their deaths. The crews' reaction is priceless.
- Chapter 730: Sanji's reaction to when Caesar confesses that he swindled money from Big Mom for research funds.
You did what?
- Chapter 731: Luffy's absolutely epic, Eneru-like Jaw Drop which takes up an entire page. What makes it even funnier is that given the Wham Episode this chapter is, this is probably most of the audience's reaction as well.
- From the same chapter, there's Franky's hair turning into a cannon and Usopp declaring he'll fight a little girl.
- Chapter 732: Senor Pink's Establishing Character Moment. He messily eats a tomato, is told by a woman not to eat like that, so he rips off her bikini top and wipes his mouth with it.
- Franky seeing him and asking "Who's that perverted guy?" Prompting the Doflamingo mooks to call out his hypocrisy.
- Chapter 733: Doflamingo's grunts are excited to join in on the fight. But first they have to wait patiently in the elevator...
- Chapter 736: Instead of Luffy going with Viola to go to the secret entrance to the lower rampart of the palace to avoid the guards, Luffy runs towards the front entrance, which is heavily guarded, and launches a Gomu Gomu no Gigant Pistol at the guards and the front door while wearing a fish costume.
Luffy: It's open!
Zoro: That's not the problem here!
- Doflamingo's enraged face when he discovers that Luffy is in the palace instead of the Colosseum.
Then who's the little shit running around in the Colosseum!? What the fuck
is going on!?
- The anime version takes it up a notch by showing Doflamingo slowly getting angry as veins start popping up on his forehead and he starts frowning.
- While Lao G fights the Toy Soldier and some of the dwarves, Lao G has to quickly put his glasses on to see what's in front of him and he explains the reason he's in the elevator lift is because he got "mixed up" with the orders he was given.
- There's also the Sentai-esque G he makes with his hands.
- The very beginning of Chapter 739 has the Mass "Oh, Crap!" reaction from Sugar, Usopp, the dwarves and the dwarves-turned-toys when a huge, duck-figureheaded ship crashes right into the executive tower. Afterwards, an angry Sugar gave Trebol a kick in the shin for throwing it.
- Donquixote Doflaemon.
- Law makes Baby 5 cry by giving her an angry look.
- Chapter 742: We get the mother of all Oh, Crap moments when Usopp screams and makes quite possibly the biggest Jaw Drop in the whole series after being fed the ultra-spicy grape that was intended for Sugar, which scares Sugar so much that she falls unconscious.
- Chapter 743: As all the toys in Dressrosa start turning back to normal. One of the toys in the Colosseum audience was a gorilla!
- Chapter 744: The cover shows Aokiji and Camel (his pet penguin, for those of you wondering) getting headaches from eating ice too fast. Keep in mind Aokiji is an ice man, and yet he still gets that!
- Sabo completely ignoring Bartolomeo and instead grabbing Rebecca, after eating the Flame-Flame Fruit. Lampshaded as well.
- USOPP of all of the Straw Hats becomes a hero to the eyes of the other gladiators in the factory. One of them is a giant from Elbaf, which doubles as epic foreshadowing.
- Put it this way, Usopp's situation is very similar to Buggy's, during Ace's rescue in Marineford, where the prisoners praised him like a god.
- The following exchange:
If you let me escape I'll kill you! Luffy:
Don't move! It's hard to take these off when I can't touch the Sea Prism Stone. Violet:
Be careful! Law:
(Makes Wild Take
) Are you listening to me!!?
- Chapter 745: Robin casually introducing Usopp, who's badly beaten up and his face is all bloody, to Sabo, Koala, and Hack. Usopp can barely say his name and the others are just creeped out by it.
- Chapter 746: Doflamingo enumerates the list of the twelve people he wants dead, and how much money he offers for their heads: Robin, Rebecca, Kin'emon, Viola, Franky (100,000,000 Berries each), Zoro, Kyros (200,000,000 Berries each), Luffy, Sabo, King Riku, and Law (300,000,000 Berries each). Just as Usopp expresses relief that he wasn't in the list, Doflamingo goes on to mention him, naming him as the guy who angered him the most, and offers 500,000,000 for his head. Usopp's Oh, Crap face is priceless. Doubles as an Awesome Moment because the person he mentioned was Usopp. Capping it all off, Luffy thinks its Actually Pretty Funny.
- Also, Bartolomeo geeking out at getting to meet Robin, and learning Usopp is Sogeking. And Sabo getting annoyed by his behavior.
Sabo: You idiot! The hell are you getting all worked up over? Fuckin' fanbody. Shut it!
Hack: (has a cast covering his broken arm) I cannot believe a weirdo like that managed to do this to my arm.
- Chapter 747:
- The giant, imposing Pica finally speaks. He apparently speaks in a childish, high pitched, squeaky voice.
- Even funnier in the anime. When reading the manga, you have to imagine the voice for yourself, but in the anime, you can hear how mismatched his voice is with his build.
- Dellinger goes in to kick Luffy with his high heels, only for Zoro to kick him and divert the attack into Machvise's ass with painful results. For both of them.
- On an overall note, there's the fact that Law's plan to use the Straw Hats for his own goals has degenerated to him getting literally dragged around by the neck by Luffy.
- Chapter 748 has all the gladiators meet up with Luffy, and declare that they'll repay their debt to the Straw Hats by killing Doflamingo even though Luffy wants to beat Doflamingo himself. Cue all of them threatening to get rid of Luffy if he won't get out of the way, even as they call him their savior.
- Dagama is part of the group that wants to repay Luffy and ignore Doflamingo's bounty offer, but he has a few lumps on his head, suggesting he might have needed... persuasion.
- Luffy continues to ignore Law's protests that they aren't friends.
- As well as his annoyance that Luffy is only doing this for Rebecca because she gave him lunch.
- Law in general during this chapter. You can see his exasperation over the fact that his plan to take down Doflamingo has degenerated into this.
- Also, Cavadish is going into a speech on how killing Doflamingo will net him all sorts of popularity...completely unaware that Luffy's already ditched him.
- Chapter 749: Luffy realizing that Abdullah and Jeet have hitched a ride with him on Ucy.
- Chapter 751: When Fujitora tries to summon a meteor against Sabo, it strikes into the Birdcage and splits into several pieces which rain down over the city.
Fujitora: Oops, my bad.
- Chapter 753: Kyros hitching a ride on Cavendish's horse, and Cavendish's repeated complaints about the situation while Luffy and Kyros ignore him and casually talk about their current situation. And then there's Law's thoughts on the situation:
- Chapter 754: When we see Kanjuro use his devil fruit to draw a bird to life to aid in his escape, the bird is badly drawn and it doesn't look like it can fly. Even the prisoners point out how pitiful his drawing is.
- Luffy, Law, Kyros, and Cavendish arguing over who will take down Doflamingo:
: I have a 10-year-old debt to repay! Law
: If we're gonna talk about time, then lemme tell ya, mine is 13-years-old! Luffy
: Well then mine is 30-years-old! Cavendish
: Stop pulling facts out of your ass, you idiot! There's no way you were even born that long ago!
- Chapter 755: Pick a Franky and Señor Pink moment. ANY Franky and Señor Pink moment.
- Chapter 756: Sugar gaining a phobia of people with long noses and things that resemble long noses thanks to Usopp.
Sugar: P-People with long noses better not stand next to me! People with long noses should just go and die!
- Chapter 757: When Robin talks about how Luffy's the trump card, there are shots of various battles going on. When we get to the SMILE factory, Franky and Senor Pink are doing what seems to be a synchronised swimming routine, while Kyuin squees in the background.
- Chapter 758: Just as Sugar is about to turn Luffy and Law into toys, a projectile fired by Usopp and shaped like his Nightmare Face from chapter 742 zips by. Sugar screams her lungs out at the sight of it and faints instantly again. Doubles as an awesome moment because Usopp fired it from an insanely long distance. Using Haki..
- Chapter 761: Donquixote Corazon finally takes center stage and he's revealed to be a clumsy, accident-prone mute that really, really hates children and casually decided to throw Law out the window when they met for the first time.
- Chapter 762 isn't supposed to be that funny. But you do get the origin of Baby 5 and Law's Boke and Tsukkomi Routine as well as the revelation that Dellinger has been a part of Doflamingo's crew since he was an infant.
- Chapter 763 continues the Corazon hijynx in that whatever the crew is shown doing in a new place, he's ALWAYS falling flat on his ass. So he trips up in the snow-filled jungle, he trips up on a wealthy man's carpet, and even after battling other pirates he manages to set himself on fire again.
- The fact that Law stopped Buffalo from telling Doflamingo that he stabbed Corazon in the back by bribing him with ice cream.
- Doflamingo saving Law and Baby 5 from a vicious pirate? Kind of sweet. A tearful Baby 5 clinging to his leg as he tries to do a Power Walk with his brother setting himself on fire (again) in the background? Hilarious.
- Chapter 764 takes Corazon's hilarity still further: upon learning Corazon can actually talk, but due to his Silence devil fruit can make himself effectively mute, Law wonders if Corazon is also hiding anything else. Cue the shot of Corazon managing to set himself on fire while trying to convince Law that he's really not clumsy as well. Naturally, Law doesn't buy that for a second.
- And then when he gets dumped into the trash, the entire trashbin suddenly sets on fire. Law then bribes Buffalo again, asking Baby 5 to give him the money for an ice cream.
- Corazon crying offscreen over his inability to save Law... *Clang* OW!
- Chapter 765 has Corazon try to impress Law with his devil fruit ability. First, he breaks a vase in complete silence. Then, he fires a bazooka, and the explosion makes no noise. Then, he farts, and it stinks to high hell but still makes no noise. The funny part: He does all these things while making a cheesy peace sign and having Bishie Sparkles every panel.
- And then Law tells him his ability sucks. While having a shirt that bears the legend "AMAZED".
- Corazon's conversation with Sengoku. Not the conversation itself, but the fact that Garp is apparently throwing a party in his office and getting yelled at in the background of the call.
- There's also Sengoku's Spit Take when he Corazon reveals he knows about the trade for the Ope Ope fruit.
- Chapter 767 is quite a serious chapter, but there is a little gem: when Doflamingo's crew is hunting for Corazon, literally the moment they say "Where is Corazon?", immediately in the next panel he's running at them with the cheesy peace signs again. Just Gladius's reaction and the "We found Corazon." sells it.
- And then we have the touching flashback panels for Corazon and Law as Corazon faces the music, and one of them is Corazon managing to trip over AND light himself on fire at the same time.
- Chapter 768 returns us back to the present with the on-going fights... and there's a panel of a battered-but-undefeated Senor Pink receiving (and returning) a tearful thumbs-up of encouragement FROM A KITTEN, with Franky trying not to cry Manly Tears over it.
- Chapter 770 has a meta-moment, when we finally have One Piece's unique laughs go to a level that Zoro, of all people, just outright tells Pika his laugh is simply just too unbelievable to be a natural laugh.
- Also, this example of Crazy Awesome:
Orlumbus: Admiral's Dignity! 'Tention!
(Mooks quickly stand at perfect attention in a straight line)
Mook: Hey, why are we doing this?
Orlumbus: Admiral's Killer Bowling! (Literally bowls the mooks over using another mook as a ball.)
- Baby 5 mistaking Sai's words while he fought her as him trying to "hit" her and Sai being confused by this.
Baby 5: Why didn't you come out and tell me this before?!
Sai: I still have no idea what you're talking about!!!
Baby 5: Don't play dumb with me!!!
Sai: (during a flashback of his fight with Baby 5) I'm gonna take that heart of yours!
Baby 5: Saying things like you'll "steal my heart"...
Sai: (during a flashback of his fight with Baby 5, grabbing Baby 5's hand) I ain't letting go of this hand!
Baby 5: That you'll "hold my hand"...
Sai: (during a flashback of his fight with Baby 5, moving quickly) You think you can keep up with me?!
Baby 5: Or to "come with me"! If you're going to come after me so earnestly, little things like what side we're on shouldn't matter! You need me, don't you?!
- Chapter 771 is full of old people gags with Lao G - he has a martial art stance known as "lower back pain", he literally almost dies of old age because it took too long to get to his part of the chapter, and when there's a tearfull scene of his departure... he just comes back to life to tell them he couldn't hear what they were saying, could they repeat that?
- And in the background of all this is Baby 5 wanting to marry Sai, and Sai having no idea what the hell is going on. Even the watching mooks are confused as to where the hell the conversation is going.
- And after Sai inherits Chinjao's move, he tells Baby 5 he'll marry her if he defeats Lao G. After he does so, He tells everyone to call him Don and Baby 5 is "eliminated" (Having fallen in love).
Two Donquixote Pirate Officers have fallen
Lao G: into a chasm
Baby 5 in love
- Chapter 772: Robin winks at Bartolomeo... and he has a huge facefault and begins to wonder if that means he can be her slave anytime, before getting a grip on himself.
- All of Bartolomeo and Cavendish's interactions.
- As Sai is pleading with his grandfather not to die, Baby 5 says they now need two ceremony halls. For a wedding and a funeral. Chinjao gets back up and yells "Who's dead here?!"
- Chapter 773: Cavendish and Hakuba having an argument with Robin having a sweat drop at what she's witnessing. The man's face goes half Cavendish and half Hakuba at one point!
- After Gladius fires off his poisonous barbed hair, he's left completely bald.
- Chapter 774: After Leo's kickass rescue of Princess Manshelly, the latter is relieved to see him again. But then Leo quickly ruins the moment by pointing out that the princess has put on some weight recently.
- And in the background of the phonecall to the Factory, Senior Pink and Franky are doing some sort of synchronised ballet while the factory explodes around them.
- There's also Usopp freaking out at the idea of Sugar being revived by Manshelly's powers.
- The epic collective Jaw Drop of everyone who witnesses Zoro's defeat of Pica in chapter 778.
- As well as Elizabello II's pout at having his King Punch be used for cleanup. Sure, he saved everyone from certain doom (his cleanup was Pica's leftover stone body that was floating in midair and is about to fall on top of people), but still.
- Chapter 779:
- During a flashback to Zoro's training with Mihawk, Mihawk wants Zoro to master having his sword entirely coated with haki and forbids him to drink any alcohol until he does, much to Zoro's shock.
- When Koala calls Sabo for help, he tells her that she's capable enough to handle her problems herself. But when she brings up Luffy's safety, he tells her he'll be right there, much to her annoyance.
- During that brief mini-arc where Foxy returned, both Sanji and Zoro got hit by Foxy's Slow Slow Beam, and the result was Sanji slowly falling towards Zoro, both with looks of terror on their faces. Just when they're about to lock lips, the thirty seconds expire, and Sanji manages to catch himself in time. They then have the following exchange.
Sanji: That was terrifying.
Zoro: I agree.
- Another moment involving Zoro and Sanji from the same arc : During a fight scene, an enemy rushes towards Nami. Zoro pushes her out of the way in time and tries to fight the guy by blocking his sword with his hands, but a pissed off Sanji steps in and makes the move fail. Obviously, they start to argue, and the guy tries to get a hit in, but they easily dodge. Zoro tries to catch his sword again, but Sanji screws the move up once more. They bicker some more, then notice the enemy, who's still in the way, and send him flying. Cut to Robin and Chopper on the Going Merry, who see the guy flying away :
Robin: Ah, a human firework.
Chopper: They seem to be having fun...
- Still from the same arc, Foxy disguises himself as Porche to escape the Straw Hats. Foxy's disguises aren't exactly the best around, to say the least, so nobody is fooled... except for Luffy. Needless to say, his crew is utterly appalled by his stupidity. The moment even ends with a collective Face Fault from everyone else in the room.
- Earlier on, when Foxy and his subordinates were travelling with the Straw Hats for a while, Foxy decides not to fish food, and instead grab an orange from Nami's trees. The dumbass mistakes Nami's hair for an orange and grabs her instead, and promptly gets beat up for it. Luffy even comments on how dumb Foxy is, while Hamburg laughs.
- When Sanji tries to free Usopp, Luffy, and Zoro from G8's brig, Usopp suggests using his Impact Dial to blow the cell bars apart. Sanji takes the Dial from Usopp's pocket, but when he uses it, it plays back comments Usopp made in Skypiea, as he had taken the Tone Dial by accident. One of the Marines wonders if that is supposed to be a secret weapon, which causes Sanji to turn bright red. He takes another Dial (glaring at Usopp all the while), but this one turns out to contain foul gas. Usopp demands to know who put a fart in his Flavor Dial, and Luffy weakly apologizes. The joke is then taken to its logical conclusion when the gas ignites a candlelight and creates a large explosion that blows the bars apart. Finally, when they finally escape, Zoro manages to get everyone lost in a straight corridor, thus enabling them to avoid the ambush that has been set up for them.
- Speaking of the G8 arc, Luffy plays ninja.
- When trying to leave G8, Usopp comes up with a plan to use the Octoballoon from Skypiea, along with an Impact Dial, Breath Dials and Flame Dial, to escape. But...
: We don't have the octopus. Chopper
: The octopus. Nami
: Yeah, the octopus. Sanji
: Shitty octopus. Robin
: Yes, the octopus. Zoro
: Damn octopus.
*Luffy gets between Zoro and Usopp with a big smile on his face
: I have it. Usopp
: He says he's got it. Chopper
: He has it? Nami
: He's got it. Sanji
: Shit, he's got it. Robin
: He has it! Zoro
: You have it? Luffy
: Yeah, right here! Everyone except Robin
[Luffy then pulls the octopus from his shorts. From the inside.
: See? Nami
: WHY THE HELL DO YOU HAVE THAT!? Luffy
: Well, he was our savior who brought us down from the sky! Zoro
: I know, but... didn't it feel funny down there? Luffy
: Down where?
- Immediately after that, Usopp asks who should activate the Impact Dial (Which, as a reminder, hurts like hell when you use it). Cue the other Straw Hats staring at him with evil grins and crazy eyes.
- Yet another scene from the G8 arc : Usopp pretends to be the special inspector who has come to check on the base, and it works for a short while, but tough luck for him, it doesn't end as well as he planned. What this clip doesn't show is that the "real" commander Shepherd who has arrived isn't even the real deal, but actually Robin in disguise.
Usopp: GAH! THE REAL ONE SHOWED UP!
Captain: I KNEW IT! (Starts strangling Usopp, who put the poor Captain under a microscope moments ago) HOW DARE YOU?! YOU ASS! WHERE'S YOUR ATTITUDE NOW?!
- Episode 510: Ivankov arrives on his island in his full female form, which Sanji instantly falls for. But he reverts back to his original sex as Sanji was about to take "her" hand. Talk about Unsettlinggender Reveal!!
- And funnier still, Sanji knew that was coming.
- In the TV Special Detective Memoirs of Chief Straw Hat Luffy, Zoro blatantly attacks Mohji and Richie to protect Vivi and then nonchalantly states "Sorry, my hand slipped", much to Cabaji's annoyance.
- In one of the TV Specials : Luffy got his finger stuck in a bottle trying to get the message in it out. Zoro comes in and offers to help... by cutting the bottle with an axe. Luffy's reaction is priceless.
- In another of the TV specials, the Straw Hats end up being part of a play. As expected, it goes completely apeshit : Robin overracts while singing and dancing (Freaking Chopper out in the process), Sanji can't bring himself to perform his role of attacking the princess, Usopp overdoes his role as a narrator, Luffy pops up on stage wearing a monkey costume and dancing around... It's complete chaos.
- Episode 131: Sanji has a dream about Nami and almost kisses Zoro in his sleep. Both wake up at the last second and their reactions are priceless:
Sanji: BASTARD! DON'T STICK THAT UGLY MUG OF YOURS IN MY FACE!
Zoro: THAT'S WHAT I WAS GONNA SAY!
(they start fighting)
- In one of the Boss Luffy specials, Luffy, Nami and Usopp meet Franky. At first, a cloth ends up flying in Nami's face, then Franky comes in, with nothing to cover his privates, much to Nami's shock and Luffy and Usopp's amazement. A couple seconds later, Mozu and Kiwi run in and hide Franky's privates from view with hammers, not realizing they're too late. Then, the kicker : Franky reveals that the cloth that flew into Nami's face earlier is his loincloth. Needless to say, Nami screams in shock.
- Episode 336. It completely revolves around Chopper Man, and is full to the brim of funny moments.
- In one of the TV Specials, Nami decides to help a group of people find treasure. Zoro and Usopp aren't fooled for a second, and know Nami does it more out of greed than kindness, but when one of the children says that her sister doesn't care about gold and jewels and thus doesn't intend to actually keep the treasure, Nami's eyes start to shine. Brightly. So much so that it actually blinds anyone who looks at them.
- Earlier on, when another of the children is kidnapped, Nami tries to get a sleeping Luffy to wake up and save her. She wakes him up by stomping the hell out of him, then points at the enemy's ship. Luffy stretches his arm to try and attack, but he falls asleep again and rockets himself right into their ship.
- When Robin points out that it's unusual for even Luffy to sleep like that, she asks if Sanji put anything funny into his meals. Usopp says it's ridiculous, saying there's no way the cook in charge of their food would do that, but Sanji admits that he did put a few sleeping pills in Luffy's food, because he was so noisy.
- In episode 59, as Apis is trying to run away from the Marines who kidnapped her, she gets caught by a soldier. She manages to escape him by accidentally kicking him right in the crotch, freezing the poor guy in position.
- Later on, she's cooking breakfast for the crew to thank them for saving her from drowning out at sea. Not only did her cooking blow up the kitchen and left the utensils in a terrible shape, but the food itself was burned, and spicy as hell. Aside from Luffy, everyone turns red from eating it. Then blue.
- When Luffy catches a drifting Apis, the recoil from his stretched arm sends Zoro flying right out of the ship and into the ocean.
- When Apis wakes up, she accidentally bumps into Usopp, leaving a dent in his chin (and making a hilarious Wild Take in the process). It's made even better by the fact that in her Imagine Spot of the Straw Hats as evil pirates, Usopp still has that dent.
- In one of the crossover episodes, as Nami and Rin are running through a desert, they respectively see that Master Roshi and Brook have passed out. As they run to their help, Roshi says he might survive if Nami basically lets him cop a feel, and Brook asks Rin to show him her panties. Cue the two young ladies kicking the two perverts away, and Franky randomly striking his "Super!" pose as he doubts whether Android 18 is a true cyborg or not. Then Rin calls them a flock of perverts, which they take as a compliment.
- In the first movie, as Ganzo is telling a story about how he willingly let himself fall off a cliff to save Woonan's life, Luffy asks if Ganzo died. This is funny enough on its own (Especially with Nami facepalming in the background), but when Ganzo tells how he survived, a disappointed Luffy says...
Luffy: What, you didn't die.
Everyone: NO SHIT!
- In Movie 4 Dead End Adventure, when hearing about how the crew is low on money, Luffy says this.
Luffy: [seriously] Oi, let me say this as your captain. You guys are spending too much money on food.
[gets beaten up the rest of the crew]
Everyone: IT ALL GOES TOWARDS FEEDING YOU!!!!!
: Luffy! What are you doing? Luffy
: Nothing! Just a fight! Nami
: I see. Don't get lost, okay? Luffy
** Upon arriving at a Marine base due to a fake log post
, the crew decides they'll track down Gasparde. Usopp asks how, and they respond that Chopper will track them by smell. We then get a scene or two over at Gasparde's ship, and the Going Merry just kind of slowly making its way toward the ship... cue this conversation on board the Merry.
Usopp: I can't believe we actually tracked him by smell.
Chopper: Are you doubting me?!
- In Movie 7, there's a classic Luffy moment:
- Volume 13, chapter 109:
Reader: I've been thinking about a great topic for about five years now. And that topic is, "Why is it that in battle manga, the bottom half of people's clothes never get destroyed?"
Oda: If they fought naked, wouldn't it kind of change the emphasis of the manga?
- Volume 24, chapter 218:
Reader: It takes while for time to pass in manga, doesn't it? Since it's a weekly thing. So, should we wait like 2 more years for Luffy's birthday?
Oda: No, no, no. He has a birthday every year, just like everyone else. It's just that, in Luffy's case, every year is his 17th birthday. Doesn't that make you jealous?