Anime: Ninja Senshi Tobikage
In 2200 AD, at a time when Mars and the Moon have been colonized. The story of Joe Maya, a teenager on Mars dreaming of returning to Earth. One day, an Alien Space craft crash lands on Mars, and he accidentally activates one of the ship's mecha, which combines with the mysterious Tobikage, a Ninja Robot.The original series is legally available on Anime Sols, where you can also pledge money to keep the series afloat in the United States and Canada in exchange for physical goods such as stickers, posters and DVD box sets.
This show provides examples of:
- Aliens Speaking English: Inverted. The aliens in this series actually speak a foreign language the main characters don't understand. This briefly results in the main characters being held hostage until the aliens offer to let them ride one of their robots.
- Big Damn Heroes: Tobikage has a tendency to show up whenever the heroes are getting whupped.
- Deconstruction: Unlike most (but not all) giant robot anime, the Earth's military are the bad guys more or less, and the main character Joe is a total anti-hero jerk who does whatever he wants and doesn't care what others think. He'll even go so far as to disobey orders (although this ends up turning out to be for the best...).
- Dub Name Change: Crosses over with Name's the Same when Tobikage is called Cybertron.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Princess Romina
- Forgotten Superweapon: Kurojishi combines with Tobikage to form the Juuma, an agile, hyperactive lion, most often, while Houraioh combines a few times to create Kuuma, an eagle formation that flies slowly and casts fire over a long length. We don't, however, catch Bakuryu combining to form Kaima, a dragon that unleashes large lightning storms, more than twice.
- Highly Visible Ninja: Partly subverted with the ninjas from the hidden ninja village, except they're a tourist attraction. Played straight in that the robots are mostly ninja themed.
- Human Aliens: The Rodarians and Zaboom.
- Karma Houdini: Played so very nearly straight with Hazard Pasha. He gets his at the very end, but everything else up until then is a mild inconvenience.
- Large Ham: Hazard Pasha. Boy howdy, is he.
- Love Triangle: Between Joe, Rennie/Jenny, and the Princess.
- Mars: Where the first several episodes were set.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Annex Zaboom. Hazard Pasha.
- Ninja Robots: Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Obviously Evil: Annex Zaboom has pale skin and black eyes, and his minions are also pale of complexion.
- Out of Order: When the series aired in Australia a block of about half a dozen episodes were televised out of order. This was particularly obvious because it skipped the introduction of a major character. This alternative ordering of the episodes was repeated on the DVD.
- Reassigned To Mars: The reason why Hazard Pasha wants to get back at the Earth Union.
- Smug Snake Hazard Pasha, so very very much.
- Spice Up the Subtitles: Anime Sols' subs, even more so than Yatterman. In two episodes alone, there is at least one instance of PG-13 rated swearing, and this is despite the fact that this is a family show, even in Japannote .
- Stripperific: Rennie/Jenny Ai
- Spell My Name with an "S": Reni/Leni is problematic. The dub avoids this issue by calling her Jenny. Of course, the dub makes OTHER changes too. On the other hand, the Anime Sols subs romanize her name as "Rennie".
- Stock Footage: Nearly half the animation, including all sequences. Two whole clip episodes were only stock footage!
- The Song Remains the Same: Averted in the English language dub. The original Japanese theme was a silly love song. The English language dub not only changed the instrumental backing, but also changed the lyrics to something awesomely heroic- about Ninjas.
- Transforming Combiner Mecha
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: The love triangle between Joe, Rennie, and Romina is never resolved, despite the fact that the theme song lampshades it. Joe's love confession for Rennie near the end was an additional bit added in the English dub.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Rennie/Jenny has blue, and this counts for other characters too.