Literature: Wind And Sparks
He who chases the wind will find the storm.
He who sows the storm will reap the hurricane.
If the hurricane brings you to revenge — dig one grave for yourself.The Cycle of Wind and Sparks
or The Chronicles of Hara
tetralogy by Alexey Pehov (often spelled "Pekhov") is a loose sequel to The Chronicles of Siala
set millennia later in the new world created by the winner of The Game. New readers won't miss much, but those who read Siala trilogy will enjoy some Mythology Gags
, Continuity Nods
and Late Arrival Spoilers
Many centuries ago The War of Power devastated the world of Hara, but failed to resolve the conflict between Heaven-powered Walkers and Hell-powered Necromancers. Both sides retreated to the opposite ends of the last habitable demon-infested continent and tried to mind their respective businesses. The last major conflict — The War of Necromancers, when southern necromancers and renegade ex-Walkers invaded the Walker-controlled northern Empire of Falcon — happened five centuries ago. Now The Damned invaded the Empire again, and this time they may win.
Caught in the crossfire are:
- Luk and Ga-Nor, the only surviving soldiers from an imperial border fortress, tasked to deliver an important message to the Mother of Walkers.
- Ness "Gray" and Layen "Weasel", a Battle Couple of retired assassins, nine years together and still madly in love. They want no part of the conflict, but nobody asks them.
- Shen, an enigmatic young medic who seems to have connections both among Walkers and in the criminal underworld. Sometimes he performs magic tricks no living person can perform, and next minute he may become as unmagical as any layman.
- Tia "Typhoid", one of the Damned, a 500-something years old witch, who quickly develops a grudge against the latter three. She'd kill them on sight, but she needs them alive.
At a glance the cycle looks full of The Wheel of Time
expys. The concept of channeling and weaving spells, super-powerful dark ancient mages, matriarchal magicians on the side of Light, even with their own White Tower, The Chosen One
super-powerful magician, who cannot cast spells because there's no one to teach him except the enemies... It even suffered from Trilogy Creep
, albeit not as severe. Yet, things aren't what they seem to be. The Walkers only care about personal power and allow the world to roll to its doom, the Damned are Well Intentioned Extremists
trying to save the world and their necromancers sincerely want to help them, but cannot undo their ancestors' mistakes. Or maybe not. The creator of Hara seems to sympathize with goals of the Damned, if not their methods, but does not interfere. Anyway, the world seems to be doomed regardless of who wins, and only The Power of Love
can save it. Of course, such suggestions are met with universal derision.
The cycle includes:
- Prequel short stories Soul Eater and Price of Freedom, set over 30 and 9 years before the first novel.
- Chasers of the Wind, published in English in summer 2014 (Wind in 2012 German version).
- Wormwood Wind (Blitz in 2012 German version).
- Reapers of the Wind (Donner in 2013 German version).
- Sparks and Wind (Sturm in 2013 German version).
Contains examples of:
The hurricane doesn't extinguish all sparks.
It may turn some into the flame.