"Hey guys and welcome to Cry plays [Insert Game/Mode name here]."
— Cry (alias Chaotic Monki) introducing himself at the start of a video.
Cry (otherwise known as Cryaotic, the name of his Youtube channel, or Chaotic Monki
, the aforementioned channel's previous name) is one of the more well-known LP'ers. With a smooth voice made for YouTube
, an aversion for showing his face, and a penchant for reacting wonderfully when scared, Cry makes his niche playing mostly horror games such as Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Cry of Fear, amongst others. From mainstream games to the independent titles, if it scares, Cry will probably play it. Cry's also known for being a good friend of fellow horror LP'er Pew Die Pie
, as well as running his own late-night stream every Saturday night with his friends.
Games Cry Has Played
Cry's videos have examples of the following tropes:
- Adorkable: His calm, friendly attitude and general way of speaking contribute to this.
Cry: Do you want to be my friend?
- Aroused By Their Voice: His voice is his trademark attribute, and he has many fangirls that only care for his voice and nothing else. While flattered, he finds it incredibly annoying, and even made a tumblr post about how insulting he finds it (comparing himself to a girl with big breasts.)
- Berserk Button: Harming animals, especially dogs and cats since he is an owner of both.
- He also expresses displeasure at things like racism and gender roles (see Bioshock Infinite and The Cat Lady).
- Cry is definitely not a fan of clipping textures.
- Big Brother Instinct: Tends to get very emotionally attached to characters he protects in-game (for example, Ellie from The Last of Us and Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite). Harm to these characters cause him to get very, very angry.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Cry is known to strike up "conversations" at random with inanimate objects, and go off on tangents about subjects completely unrelated to the narrative. Taken Up to Eleven if he is sleep deprived while recording.
- Cute and Psycho: Hitting his Berserk Button or triggering his Papa Wolf mode can result in this.
- Deep-Immersion Gaming: Cry has a tendency to become extremely emotionally involved in the games he plays, and he'll often make up his own backstories to add onto each game. One of the most notable examples of this is his video for the game "Which?"
- Disappeared Dad / Parental Abandonment: It's mentioned a couple of times that Cry's dad left when he was a baby.
- Enforced Method Acting: During the scene in Corpse Party where Naomi dreams about Seiko after her death, Cry sounds as though he's in tears while reading the dialogue, and pauses to wipe his eyes afterward. It's one of the only times he doesn't read out all of the written sounds in the text.
- Evil Laugh: He can do a very good one, and has demonstrated on several occasions. It's really bone-chilling.
- The Faceless: Cry has never shown his face on camera before, with a cartoon character referred to as the "Sup Dude" representing him in his The Numbers videos. This is kind of a sore point for him. People tend to bug him to use a face-cam despite him making it clear a number of times that he really doesn't want to.
- Fan Community Nicknames: Many have jokingly called themselves "Cry-babies" which Cry can't stand. Others want to give eachother "cry-fives", inspired by Pew Die Pie's infamous bro-fists. Cry claims that he doesn't want to have a fandom, and he has referred to them as his "frienddom" several times.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Cry will often put in text in his vids, either to explain time skips or to put in hilarious commentary.
- Hidden Depths: He's got a talent for voice acting, which was apparent in his readings of Creepypasta, but became much more noticeable in Corpse Party, especially with his voice for Kizami.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Said in a humorous way in the second episode for Remember Me
"That Tommy better have some really delicious drinks. *beat* I need some milk."
- Knife Nut: When he goes on his RoaringRampageofRevenge in BeyondTwoSouls at one point he says "Knives, my favorite," and begins to laugh when he hits one of the bullies.
- Nice Guy
- Never Work with Children or Animals: While Cry's cat doesn't work persay, it does interrupt his recordings at times, distracting Cry from narrating.
"There is a cat on my lap."
- Papa Wolf: Is very protective of Clementine in his The Walking Dead videos.
"You know, if Clementine hurt herself on that glass...I'd cut you.
- Also becomes fond of Ellie from The Last of Us and Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. Cry does not take it well when they are threatened.
- Also present with Jodie from Beyond: Two Souls. Especially underlined by the very fun possibilities controlling Aiden gives you. The birthday party and bar scenes are particularly jarring examples.
- Pluralses: Used intentionally to quirky effect.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The Sup Guys◊.
- Running Gag:
- Any time an ellipsis appears onscreen, it will always be pronounced out-loud as "dots".
- Oftentimes when Cry needs to speed up any gameplay where he's not getting anything done (ex. a long sequence in Limbo in which he could not figure out a puzzle), he'll play the Trololo Song.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot
- Spell My Name with an S: Cry answers to Chaotic Monki, Cryaotic, Cry, and Cry-Cry among other variations, but his preferred handle is Cryaotic, with Cry for short.note
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Invoked in his Bioshock Infinite videos, where he gets to have fun with the RPG and Volley Launcher.
- Unsound Effect: Many. In Corpse Party, he often reads out sound effects as they're written, such as "sob," sniffle," or the above mentioned "dots."
- Video Game Caring Potential: Most noticeable in The Walking Dead.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: He seems to be enjoying butchering people in Lucius a little too much...