"Hey guys and welcome to Cry plays [Insert game name here]."
— Cry, aka Cryaotic introducing himself at the start of a video.
Cry (otherwise known as Cryaotic, the name of his Youtube channel, or Chaotic Monki, the aforementioned channel's previous name) is one of the more well-known LP'ers. With a smooth voice
made for YouTube
, an aversion for showing his face, a beautiful laughter
and a penchant for reacting wonderfully when scared, Cry makes his niche playing mostly horror games such as Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Cry of Fear, amongst others. From mainstream games to the independent titles, if it scares, Cry will probably play it. Cry's also known for being a good friend of fellow horror LP'er PewDiePie
, as well as running his own late-night stream every Saturday night with his friends called "Late Night with Cry and Russ".
"Cry Plays: Obscure Indie Games"
- Cry Plays: Facade
- Cry Plays: A Game He Made in RPG Maker XP in 2009
- Cry Plays: 1916 - Der Unbekannte Krieg
- Cry Plays: Broken Dimensions
- Cry Plays: Candles
- Cry Plays: Hadegonia
- Cry Plays: Angel Knights*
- Cry Plays: Silent Hive
- Cry Plays: Dehinged Mind
- Cry Plays: Eversion
- Cry Plays: The Mirror Lied
- Cry Plays: Gravity Bone
- Cry Plays: Pathways Redux
- Cry Plays: Mondo Medicals
- Cry Plays: Story Of The Blanks
- Cry Plays: Luna 3
- Cry Plays: Au Sable
- Cry Plays: Project Zomboid
- Cry Plays: Gyossait
- Cry Plays: Judith
- Cry Plays: Forbidden.exe
- Very Sleepy Cry Plays: The Binding of Isaac
- Cry Plays: A Mother's Inferno
- Cry Plays: Blackwell
- Cry Plays: SCP-087
- Cry Plays: SCP-087-B
- Cry Plays: The Lost Souls
- Cry Plays: Dinner Date
- Cry Plays: SCP Containment Breach (Alpha)
- Cry Plays: Heritage
- Very Cry Plays: Paranormal (Beta)
- Cry Plays: Forget Me Not Annie
- Cry Plays: Slender
- Cry Plays: Hidden in the Shadows
- Cry Plays: Dark Ocean
- Cry Plays: Thirty Flights of Loving
- Cry Plays: Perfectum
- Cry Plays: Imscared - A Pixelated Nightmare
- Cry Plays: Dream Of The Blood Moon
- Cry Plays: Skinwalker
- Cry Plays: Among the Sleep (Alpha)
- Cry Plays: The Screaming Woods
- Cry Plays: The Horror at MS Aurora
- Cry Uhh: Paradigm
- Cry Plays: Disillusions Manga Horror
"Cry and Friends Play..."
- Cry and Friends Play: Magicka
- Cry and Friends Play: Marvel Ultimate Alliance
- Cry and Friends Play: F.3.A.R. Co-Op
- Cry and Friends Play: Alien Swarm
- Sleepy Cry and Friends Break: Minecraft: The Dark Descent
- Cry and Friends Play: Trine 2
- Cry and Friends Play: Garry's Mod
- Cry and Russ Play: Zombies Ate My Neighbors
- Cry and Scott Waste Time*
- Cry and Russ Waste Time*
- Cry and Brother Plays: Worms: Reloaded
- Cry and Friends Play: Dead Space 3 Demo
- Cry and Sp00n Waste Time*
- Cry and Friends Waste Time*
- Poker Night with the Boyzzzzzzzz*
- Overrated YouTubers Play: Loadout
- Cry and Chey Waste Time*
Cry's videos have examples of the following tropes:
- Berserk Button:
- Harming animals, especially dogs and cats since he is an owner of both.
- He also expresses displeasure at things like racism and gender roles (see Bioshock Infinite and The Cat Lady).
- Cry is definitely not a fan of clipping textures.
- Big Brother Instinct:
- Tends to get very emotionally attached to characters he protects in-game (for example, Ellie from The Last of Us and Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite). Harm to these characters cause him to get very, very angry.
- He has this for Blue and Orange in Video Game/Brothers A Tale of Two Sons.
- Bi the Way: As casually mentioned here, Cry is pansexual.
"I'm more of the kind of guy that goes for the personality; I don't give a goddamn what features they've got going."
- Cloudcuckoolander: Cry is known to strike up "conversations" at random with inanimate objects, and go off on tangents about subjects completely unrelated to the narrative. Taken Up to Eleven if he is sleep deprived while recording.
- Cozy Voice for Catastrophes: Cry has a very soft voice that contrasts nicely with the sort of games he plays. Since he never shows his face, it's one of his most recognizable traits.
- Curse Cut Short: During his playthrough of Corpse Party, when he doesn't escape Heavenly Host in time and gets a bad ending:
: Welcome to Heavenly Host Elementary school... *giggle* *cackle*
: Son of a BI—
* Cut to a retry*
- Cute and Psycho: Hitting his Berserk Button or triggering his Papa Wolf mode can result in this.
- Cuteness Proximity: Over the Sparrows in Ōkami, especially Chun.
- Deep-Immersion Gaming: Cry has a tendency to become extremely emotionally involved in the games he plays, and he'll often make up his own backstories to add onto each game. Examples include:
- One of the most notable examples of this is his video for the game "Which?" He can become pissed off whenever something outside of the game he currently plays (i.e. his cat)breaks his immersion.
- Present in his gameplay of the The Last of Us, when he goes on his Roaring Rampage of Revenge to save Ellie at the end of the game. He gets very serious and his voice gets growly.
- Disappeared Dad / Parental Abandonment: It's mentioned a couple of times that Cry's dad left when he was a baby.
- Evil Laugh: He can do a very good one, and has demonstrated on several occasions. It's really bone-chilling.
- Foreshadowing: In The Mirror Lied, he at one point says, "Turn off that candle; we're gonna start a house fire..."
- The Faceless: Cry has never shown his face on camera before, with a cartoon character referred to as the "Sup Dude" representing him in his The Numbers videos. This is kind of a sore point for him. People tend to bug him to use a face-cam despite him making it clear a number of times that he really doesn't want to.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Cry will often put in text in his vids, either to explain time skips or to put in hilarious commentary.
- Friend to All Children: He likes child characters very much and will often go to great lengths to protect them or seek vengeance against anyone who does harm to them.
- Genre Savvy: In Cry Plays: Gravity Bone, Cry correctly predicts that the redheaded woman in Mission 2 is evil, or at least suspicious, some time before she murders Abel.
- Hidden Depths: He's got a talent for voice acting, which was apparent in his readings of Creepypasta, but became much more noticeable in Corpse Party, especially with his voice for Kizami.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Said in a humorous way in the second episode for Remember Me
"That Tommy better have some really delicious drinks. *beat* I need some milk."
- Knife Nut: When he goes on his Roaring Rampage of Revenge in Beyond: Two Souls at one point he says "Knives, my favorite," and begins to laugh when he hits one of the bullies.
- Nice Guy
- Never Work with Children or Animals: While Cry's cat doesn't work persay, it does interrupt his recordings at times, distracting Cry from narrating.
"There is a cat on my lap."
- Papa Wolf:
"You know, if Clementine hurt herself on that glass...I'd cut you.
- Also becomes fond of Ellie from The Last of Us and Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. Cry does not take it well when they are threatened.
- Also present with Jodie from Beyond: Two Souls. Especially underlined by the very fun possibilities controlling Aiden gives you. The birthday party and bar scenes are particularly jarring examples.
- Recently Cry released a music video named "Limelight" as a collaboration with another You Tuber all about his Papa Wolf tendencies.
- While playing The Walking Dead Season 2 episode 4 he was forced to make a difficult decision. Needless to say, the outcome had a very big impact on him and he continually reassured himself that his actions were justified and was notably saddened through the second part of the video. He was also distraught and crying twice in season 2 episode 5
- Please Subscribe to Our Channel: Notably averted, Cry makes a big deal of not doing this. He even parodies it occasionally. The fact that he has nearly 2 million subscribers regardless is quite telling.
- Pluralses: Used intentionally to quirky effect.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The Sup Guys◊.
- Running Gag:
- Any time an ellipsis appears onscreen, it will always be pronounced out-loud as "dots".
- In earlier playthroughs, Cry would play the Trololo Song when he needed to speed up any gameplay where he's not getting anything done (ex. a long sequence in Limbo in which he could not figure out a puzzle).
- Specific to the Life Is Strange playthrough: Whenever a character mentions Rachel (the girl shown on the missing posters around the school) and he responds with confusion, a clip of Cry reading out her name just forty seconds earlier plays.
- Self-Deprecating Humor: Happens in his Let's Play of Nightmare House 2. He spends a great deal of time looking for a key, but continuously walks past it. Whit text was edited in and points to the key each time he passes it. Finally, the video actually pauses and Editing Cry can be heard screaming "It's right there!"
- He has similarly lampshaded his own mistakes in several other series as well.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot
- Socially-Awkward Hero: Despite making thousands of videos for the public he refuses to reveal his identity because he is uncomfortable around social situations and wants to protect his family from obsessive fans.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Cry answers to Chaotic Monki, Cryaotic, Cry, and Cry-Cry among other variations, but his preferred handle is Cryaotic, with Cry for short.note
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Invoked in his Bioshock Infinite videos, where he gets to have fun with the RPG and Volley Launcher.
- Unsound Effect: Many. In Corpse Party, he often reads out sound effects as they're written, such as "sob," sniffle," or the above mentioned "dots."
- Video Game Caring Potential: Given a choice, Cry is more likely to take the "good" path with his decisions. Most noticeable in The Walking Dead.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential:
- He seems to be enjoying butchering people in Lucius a little too much...
- Indulges in some maniacal laughter when setting enemies on fire in Bioshock Infinite.
- Is perfectly okay with sicking flesh-eating rats on the guards in his Dishonored playthrough.
- In his playthrough of The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 4, he willingly left Sarah behind to be devoured by walkers. While at the time he didn't realise he was able to save her, he defended his decision in the comments of the video.