The Mirror Lied
is a game created by Kan Gao (who also was behind Quintessence
and To The Moon
) and released by Freebird Games. In The Mirror Lied
, you play as a young girl named Leah. There is no one in her home besides her, no way to leave, and very little to do, but she does keep getting phone calls from "birdy"...The Mirror Lied
is free to play and can be found at Freebird Games's website
The Mirror Lied provides examples of:
- The Blank: Leah doesn't appear to have a face.
- Downer Ending: Leah apparently shoots herself at the end of the game, letting Birdy fly away.
- Driven to Suicide: Leah. Maybe.
- Feathered Fiend: The increasingly frantic emails Leah received combined with the apparently shrinking world whenever Birdy flies over a continent indicates Birdy may be this; however it's difficult to tell when Leah apparently shot herself rather than Birdy at the end.
- Giant Flyer: Birdy is big enough to carry Leah.
- Mind Screw: When asked what it means, Kan Gao shrugged.
- Mission Control: Birdy's phone calls sometimes serve as gameplay hints.
- Nothing Is Scarier: While the creator of the game says on its page that it is not a horror game and nothing will jump out at you, the game still has a very unsettling atmosphere, partly because you know very little about what's going on.
- Ominous Music Box Tune: The game's entire soundtrack consists of variations of the same tune, which sounds rather frantic and creepy. You can listen to it by turning on Leah's music box, but at some key moments it play its own whether you opened the music box or not.
- The End of the World as We Know It: Implied, what with the world map in the computer room gradually showing less continents whenever Birdy flies over one, combined with the frantic emails warning Leah that she should kill Birdy at all costs. However, given the game's general Mind Screw-iness, it might not be.
- Violation of Common Sense: At one point, the house catches on fire. Solution? Go upstairs and fall asleep!