Video Game / Schuld
is a freeware horror-puzzle game created by Kelven, the same person who created Desert Nightmare.
A man named Aaron wakes up in the middle of a street with no memory of how he got there. All he has is a book, which is largely blank except for the last page, which has the seven deadly sins listed on it. After going into a town and discovering that while he was asleep the world has apparently taken a turn for the much worse, he meets a mysterious man named Vergil who tells him he will not help him through this strange world, but he will guide him. It just gets weirder from there.
The game was translated from German into English by Azn Chipmunk
, who also translated Desert Nightmare
. The translation can be downloaded here
Schuld provides examples of:
- All Just a Dream: The places Aaron goes to over the course of his journey are all false visions inflicted on him. In actuality, this whole time he's been held prisoner in a space station on the moon.
- An Arm and a Leg: Early on, Aaron meets a young girl whose arm has been destroyed by "rot". Other people suffer a similar affliction. And then his own arm gets cut off in order to give it to someone who lost all their limbs.
- Eye Scream: Rot can decay even the eyes; late in the first chapter Aaron meets a child who's been blinded from the disease. He gives one of his own to her.
- Force Feeding: At one point, Aaron is forced to eat the corpse of Maria.
- Mind Rape: Most of what Aaron experiences over the course of the game isn't really happening; he's being mentally tortured by his worst enemy.
- Reset Button: Things that happen in one chapter don't all carry over to the next one. There's a reason for this.
- Revenge Before Reason: Aaron decides to take his revenge against Williams at the end, even though the space station is going to self-destruct in a few minutes and if he takes his revenge there's no chance of getting out alive.
- Revenge by Proxy: The reason Maria keeps popping up in the visions Aaron is given is because Williams wants to torture him further by having to see Maria suffer.
- Tongue Trauma: In the second world, Aaron meets a woman who looks like a woman he once knew, and she never speaks to him. He's told it's because her tongue's been cut out.
- Tragic Dream: Aaron meets a little girl whose eyes have decayed away, and she expresses a wish that she could have seen the ocean one last time. Aaron tries to grant her wish, giving her one of his own eyes and taking her to the beach, but the ocean has by now become awash with corpses, and looks just as bad as everything else.
- Your Cheating Heart: Williams killed Maria some time before the start of the game, because Maria cheated on him with Aaron.