- Dota 2 Fails of the Weeks. Especially:
- This Terrorblade quote when he uses Reflection:
- One of Ogre Magi's losing quotes:
Right Head: We won!
Left Head: No, we're on the other side.
Right Head: Oh.
- Most of the heroes have quotes about each other, and there are a few gems.
Chaos Knight: Your flying horse is...quite impressive. (Towards Batrider)
I have tartar sauce for people like you. (Towards Slark
Lifestealer: Mmm, Viper…tastes like chicken.
- Just what happens to Legion Commander in the past that she'd take other races bravely, but hating bears the most that she'd put extra emphasis on that?
: Never trust a... BEAR!!
(Towards Ursa or Lone Druid)
- Getting Zeus killed will occasionally have him say: "Go easy on me, worms... I'm your God too!" Zeus. God of Worms.
- Wraith King activating Reincarnation when there's no nearby allies. At this point, one of the responses is him dropping all the regalia and sounds like a desperate goon being left behind.
- Certain cosmetic items have amusing descriptions.
Little Blink Dagger (Axe):
Don't worry, precious Axe
. Blink Dagger does not come to chop.
Mighty Boar: This boar has a crazed look in his eye. Is it distrust? Madness? Or does he just want to eat your tangos?note
- The Juggernaut announcer pack has more than a few good lines:
Oh, your ancient isn't happy with you right now.
See what's happening to your ancient? That means you're a loser.
Dire's bottom tower is under attack. Run, little bottom tower, run!
You know that middle tower that used to be alive and defending itself? Well, that has changed.
Dire's top tower was a liability. It had to be silenced.
- Axe's announcer pack isn't half bad ether.
"Axe was not involved."
"Do not blame axe."
"As Radiant's middle tower falls, Axe's middle finger rises!"
"If you want peace, you must prepare for war. If you want war, you must also prepare for war. The lesson is: always prepare for war!"
"AXE is going to be sick!"
"Radiant's structures are fortified with twelve important vitamins and minerals."
"If war is not fair, why call it warfare?"
"Your bottom barracks refuse to defend themselves."
"Axe dreams about Roshan sometimes. Axe wakes sweating in the dark, clutching for his axe, a scream rising in his throat and... Never mind."
(After Axe gets a Mega Kill) "Axe knew Axe could do it!"
- Troll Warlord responses. Holy crap.
(Activating Invisibility) Anonymity, the friend to every troll.
(Respawning) Fighting a troll only makes him grow stronger.
(Killing Pugna, Viper, Witch Doctor, Tiny, or Lich) Enjoy your ban.
- From the Bastion announcer pack:
- Tobi Wan at his most entertaining.note
- Treant Protector's model, at the side:
Riki was 'ere
- The true name of the Invoker, a mage who has lived centuries and has mastered the use of powerful invocations: Carl.
- Anytime a bad case of Just Trying to Help happens. Especially with any heroes that have re-positioning skills like Pudge.
- One such hero, Puck, can get itself killed twice in quick succession by using Illusory Orb at wrong moment.
- So can Weaver and Ember Spirit. Especially Weaver.
- A highlight from one of the changelogs:
Bots that have been hit by multiple stacks of Sticky Napalm will now contemplate their misfortune further back in the lane.
Made Crystal Maiden bot even more timid.
Fixed Kunkka being a dirty cheater when using Torrent. (The Kunkka bot could still aim and hit you with a torrent even when he couldn't see you due to invisibility.)
Bots will no longer stare at a dropped gem, futilely trying to destroy it.
- On 6.82 changelogs, Dark Seer's Vacuum cooldown rescaled from 28 seconds to 28.0 seconds. Funny enough? Not yet! Drag your cursor on the "28.0 seconds" and you can see a Vacuum animation...
- Lifestealer can use his ultimate Infest on his own illusion. Also, after 6.84 Aghanim's upgrade, he can devour allied hero with his ultimate and Infest other ally hero. The result? N'aix Tactical Nuke.
- Rubick spellsteals Walrus Punch, pretty normal. Rubick uses Walrus Punch by firing a projectile that's essentially himself to uppercut the enemy? Hillarious.
- When Tusk uses Walrus Punch normally, the text "WALRUS PUNCH" appears in red letters above the unfortunate target. What happens when Rubick uses it? "STOLEN PUNCH" (or, if you hit Tusk himself, "SUCKER PUNCH").
- Most Rubick's Spellsteal animations are pretty funny. For example, stolen Sniper's Assassination made him shoot a bullet with his staff...
- An E-sports example. In the wild card game (the winner of which would go on to play in TI 3) between Rattlesnake and Quantic, there was a moment where Sven (played by Quantic's Sockshka) ambushed Chaos Knight, Gyrocopter and Beastmaster and attempted to stun them all with storm hammer so that his teammates could catch up to them and possibly kill them with few losses. In a very unfortunate case of a misclick, Sochshka cast storm hammer not on Chaos Knight, not on Gyrocopter, not even on Beastmaster, but on... Beastmaster's Boar, stunning absolutely nobody but the boar. This ended up getting Quantic team wiped with the exception of one. This moment can be seen in its full glory in this video.
- Another example sort of from TI3: On the first day of the competition, an "all-star match" was held between two teams voted on by the players. Given that there was nothing at stake, the players took it upon themselves to goof off in the most spectacular way they could. Highlights include the members of Alliance (Loda and Akke) and Na'Vi (Dendi and Puppey) trash-talking their teammates, who were on the opposite team for this match, a completely ridiculous draft, which was made by having the team's "Captains" picking the other team's picks using heroes that are almost never used in professional games, such as Sniper, Omniknight, Skeleton King and Axe (the Dire side actually had an all-melee team), and Dendi celebrating killing Puppey (his captain) by getting out of the booth and dancing in front of Puppey. You can watch it here, starting at 11.02.30.
- Listen to Bane's response to buying Blink Dagger. Just listen.
- The GLaDOS announcer pack. Dear lord.
- One of the changes to Bloodseeker's Thirst ability in the 6.79 patch was causing it to remove the speed cap when active. This had predictable results.
- Fountain Hookingnote is awesome, flashy and all. And sometimes it backfires...note
- Wraith King's new lines. Some of them are outright references to CASPLOCK LEORIC. Best one has got to be when he buys the Armlet of Mordiggian: "I NOW HAVE ALL THE SEXY."
- Windranger's lines for dying, killing someone, and others are chuckle worthy
Upon dying: Why do you hate gingers so?
Killing someone: Pain, meet Ugly. Ugly, Pain.
Casting Shackleshot: I now pronounce you man and tree.
- Sven Lampshading the fact that he's using Daedalus, a crossbow, to increase his damage.
Sven "Daedalus! This is going to be absurd."
- This video shows what happens when someone who plays supports attempts to play a hard carry, such as Anti Mage. It ends with the Mage using Manta Style note and going to attack Sven, who then kills Anti Mage and his illusions in just two hits, which causes the Mage's team to lose the game.
- Phoenix's spell descriptions are normal, the sub-spells though? They sound like as if Phoenix itself is saying them.
Stop Iccarus Dive "SCREE!"
Launch Fire Spirits "PKAWW! BOOM!"
Toggle Movement "SQUAWK!"
- In this video, Puck spends about one minute attempting to both bait and dodge Invoker's Sunstrike while trying to get back to the base. He fails miserably just as he is about to get to the fountain.
- This video involves about why someone plays Sven and every of his awesome display of Triple/Ultra-Killing gets a replay accompanied with epic chorus. But then, for his last 'awesome' moment, after committing his Triple Kill, Sven got killed by a Tower, and the music abruptly screeched to stop at the Epic Fail.
- The Stanley Parable announcer. There are probably too many to list, but one standout is him calling almost every purchased item the "poor man's Divine Rapier". Have a listen.
- DIGITAL SPORTS!
- "Welcome, to the dense and impenetrable web of systemic bullshit we collectively refer to as Dota."
- Some heroes have voice responses for when you buy items or use runes they don't need:
Anti-Mage: Blink Dagger? Really?
Faceless Void Blink dagger, what need have I for this?
Viper: Orb of Venom. I need this why?
Nyx Assassin: Blade mail?
Nyx Assassin when using an invisibility rune: They have runes for this?
Dark Seer when using haste rune: What surge is this?
Riki when using an invisibility rune: This is redundant.note
Queen of Pain: Blink dagger? That was quite unnecessary.
Troll Warlord: Mask of Madness!? SERIOUSLY?!?
Phantom Lancer when using an Illusion rune: Now this is just silly.
Phantom Lancer when using an Illusion rune (again): Because at this point, why not?
Invoker when using an invisibility rune: I have orbs for this.
Wraith King picking up the Aegis of Immortality As if I needed any more of this. But I'll take it.
- Warlock when his Golem gets hit by Diffusal Blade:
- Stupid voice series in general.
- Dota 2 has a customizable chat wheel that you can use to send commonly used messages into chat on the fly (">We need wards.", ">Missing middle!" etc.). You can pick and add phrases to the wheel from a large, preset pool. One such phrase is "> I immediately regret my decision".
- In general, while chat phrases may be annoying at times, at others they can end up lightening the sour mood of your teammates, and enhance funny moments.
- Valve add Dota 2 community's meme phrases to chat wheel. For example:
"Nothing of value was lost that day."
"Game was hard."
- Any time Goblin Techies is present in a game. It's rather funny to see some heroes stepping into the mines at the start of the game. Even funnier if you placed the said mines in a very obvious place. Although, it may not be that funny if you were the butt of the joke.
- Goblin Techies, being the soft and slow hero that he is, will be picked on pretty bad, at least when it's the first time fighting against them. Then the opponents realize that he is an Action Bomb. Much rage (and humor) will ensue when the attacker(s) gets killed in the explosion, especially when Techies' health is very low.
- In the New Bloom 2015 comic that features the Winter Wyvern's debut, apparently Crystal Maiden has a 'To Do List', which is filled with various 'helping people in Icewrack' tasks, followed by 'Fight the Battle of the Ancients' and ended with... 'Send a death threat to Lina.'
- There's also the cheerful way she says "Let's go look at some dead animals!" It's oddly reminiscent of the Team Fortress 2 video "Expiration Date", where Medic says "Tumors!" in an incredibly upbeat voice (unsurprisingly, Jay Pinkerton, one of the Team Fortress comic writers, worked on this one as well).
- According to Heather "Makani" Campbell, the comic's artist, the original storyboard for the comic had the wizard literally telling Rylai to fuck off.
- The entirety of this blog post which talks about Faceless Void's remodel.
- And the Faceless Rex courier, inspired from that blog post... which became a VERY RARE courier that boost TI 2015 Compendium sales. Well played, Valve.
- Ladies and gentlemen, the longest competitive game in Dota 2 history. Gets especially funny really late when graphical glitches start coming out and the commentators start getting hilariously bored; O Dpixel puts on dramatic music when it looks like there might be a fight that tips the balance, only to cut it off when it doesn't.
- The Flavor Text for Platemail:
Thick metal plates that protect the entire upper body. Avoid dropping on feet.
- Sometimes, both teams get wiped. None left standing.
- In this video, the Techies player fail at basic map awareness.
- This entry of The International 2015 Short Film Contest starts with an amazing cinematic of Enigma capable of tearing galaxy asunder then became this when he enters a game and find himself in a team full of incompetent players, he rage quits.
- Anytime you whiffed a game-breaking ultimate either by not catching everyone or fail to accomplish anything, the hero will often lampshade this fact and either get embarrassed or frustrated that they couldn't even score a kill. Such as:
Alchemmist(Unstable Concoction explodes on the hero): Didn't you hear me telling you to throw it?
Axe(Culling Blade doesn't kill enemy hero): Axe misjudged?
Earthshaker(Hitting no heroes with Echo Slam): Echo Slam…?
Faceless Void(Catching nobody in the Chronosphere): An eternity of embarrassment!
Juggernaut(Failing to kill anyone with Omnislash): Argh, I had such plans...
Kunkka(Not hitting anyone with Ghost Ship): Now that was a fail-boat!
Legion Commander(Duel does not end in death): We weren't finished!
Lich(Chain Frost doesn't kill anyone): Not my best work.
Oracle(Dying after False Promise Ends): That went well! For our enemies.
Sniper(Assasinate doesn't kill anyone): Oh, I thought I had that for sure!
- From TI5 we have the "all-star match" with Team N0tail and Team Chuan playing a game of Dota 2, with the twist that it's a 10 vs 10 match played on a special client. However, there's only five professional players on each team, so where do they get the 10 missing players? Simple enough, they recruit them from the audience, with the captains selecting random players they see (For example, danish player N0tail picked a guy because he had a danish flag. Another guy was picked because he had a sign with the infamous Kappa emoticon) including a guy in a Pudge costume. The random players are briefly interviewed one by one (one of which has the name 420 booty wizard) and ending with the player in the Pudge costume. His true identity? DENDI. Once that was all over, the 20 players picked their heroes and played the most chaotic match to ever be shown in competitive gaming.
- Although the comic featuring Enigma's new Immortal item is otherwise cover-to-cover Nightmare Fuel, at one point Enigma muses about whether the alchemist that summoned him desires power and women... which gives him a mental image of the guy in a crown, sitting in a throne, surrounded by scantily clad women. It really must be seen.