It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Fanfic: To My Death I Fight
has passed since Ichigo Kurosaki sacrificed
his spiritual powers
to put an end to the Big Bad
's plans. Utterly spent
, Ichigo settles down into what appeared to be a life as a normal human for once, with nothing even remotely supernatural about to kill him
. As summer vacation approaches and he thinks about what he's going to do, his father
reveals that he's been signed up for the prestigious Honnouji Academy
for the next school year, without asking Ichigo if he wanted to go or not.
After being forced to throw a going away party, Ichigo finds out that Urahara
requested his presence at his store, Upon reluctantly coming at Kisuke's behest, he receives a call from the shopkeeper, who tells Ichigo that he's being chased by a ditzy blonde child with a hankering for pink
and urges him to recover the project that he's been working on for a while now – a Kamui
is a Crossover
and Kill la Kill
, written by BahamutReishiki
Story can be found Here
Tropes for To My Death I Fight
- 10-Minute Retirement: Ichigo before he is accosted to go to Honnoji.
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Ichigo's Tournesol is said to slowly become this through each life fiber absorbed.
- Accusation Fic: Ryuko's modus operandi.
- Acceptable Breaks from Canon: Type: Canon Mixing. Heavy elements of Bleach and Kill La Kill Canon events are kept, with tweaks.
- Achievement Test Of Destiny: Each student takes this to determine their social status. Actually a way to discover Life Fiber resistance.
- Action Girl: Ryuko, and to a lesser extent, Ururu.
- Afraid of Needles: Ichigo's irrational fear of injections after a traumatic incident.
- Anyone Can Die: Well if Urahara and Mako can, you have to wonder...
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Ryuko does this to try and get inside Scourge Regalia.
- Berserk Button: For Ryuko, don't hurt Mako. And god help you if you kill her, as Nui learns
- Berserk Mode: Ryuko is triggered after the above happens.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Nui and Uryu.
- Big Damn Heroes: Ichigo interrupting Ryuko from getting killed by the Boxing captain. Same thing happens again when Ryuko confronts Satsuki and is knocked out.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: The Kiryuins, Ragyo being Ichigo's Godmother sadly includes him in there.
- Bloodless Carnage: Mako after becoming a pincushion by way of Life Fiber disruption needles peppered all over her skin.
- Bonding Over Missing Parents: Lampshaded with Ryuko and Ichigo, even though Isshin Kurosaki is not her dad. The name is familiar though.
- BFG: Ururu's trusty rocket spammer.
- Character Overlap: Alex Louis Armstrong. First introduced in the story's omake series, "Kamui Tales," at the end of Chapter 25. Joined the actual story in Chapter 32.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Mugetsu is this when it comes to ichigo wearing clothes other than herself.
- Crapsack World: After apparent nuclear winter.
- Crazy-Prepared: Isshin goes to great lengths to Life-Fiber proof his house.
- Competitive Balance: As opposed to Canon where all known Kamui could be assumed as equal in power, here it's explicitly stated that each Kamui has one specific trait/ability/statistic that they excel best in.
- Senketsu is stated to have the highest raw strength overall but the lowest speed, making Ryuko the Mighty Glacier.
- Junketsu is stated to have the highest endurance, making Satsuki the Jack of All Stats.
- Mugetsu is stated to have the highest speed, making Ichigo the Fragile Speedster.
- Danketsu is stated to have the highest defense, making Kinue the Stone Wall.
- Combat Parkour: The arena brawl after The Reveal, when the suspended platform is wrecked has most of the cast doing this.
- Continuity Overlap: The ending of the Winter War arc overlaps with the beginning of the Kill La Kill opening.
- Chubby Mama, Skinny Papa: Inverted with the Mako Family.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Ryuko takes the butt end of this in the beginning, then almost every Elite Mook becomes a victim after Ichigo and Ryuko get better with their Applied Phlebotinum.
- Ururu inflicts one to Uzu Sanageyama when he was suspecting her of a hostile student given no approval from Satsuki. Granted, he didn't have the chance to activate his Blade Regalia beforehand.
- Cute Bruiser: Ururu and Nui.
- Death Course: What Ira Gamagoori sets up on No-Late day.
- Determinator: Most of the protagonists, actually.
- Discard and Draw: Instead of regaining his spiritual powers, as in canon, Ichigo gets a Kamui and is revealed to be a life fiber hybrid.
- The Dreaded: As Carry On Wayward Son shows, Ichigo's already built a reputation for delivering top-class beatdowns, so much that the One-Star Student messenger from Satsuki shivers just being near him. It doesn't stop the Two-Stars from trying in order to gain a better life, though.
- Evil Parents Want Good Kids: Ragyo muses over how none of her children turn out quite perfect. Hybrid-wise.
- Everyone Chasing You: After Satsuki declares rewards for whoever takes out Ichigo, he gets hounded for awhile.
- Exact Words: Nui's agreement not to hurt Mako in exchange for her eye being repaired.
- Played straight when she goes after Ichigo instead.
- External Retcon: Explanation of why most of Japan is a ruined wasteland.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Harime Nui. Ururu to a lesser extent whenever she accesses her Berserker Mode.
- One could postulate that the Kamui themselves are this.
- Flash Step: Implied with the Nui vs. Ururu fight.
- Fight Magnet: Anyone with a Kamui. Anyone with a Star uniform for that matter.
- Finishing Move: THREAD STRIPPER!!!
- Genki Girl: Mako.
- Genre Savvy: Ichigo not joining the crew when they make the Fight Club.
- Good All Along: Kugo Ginjo.
- Good with Numbers: Mako suddenly becomes this during the Fight Club initiation.
- High School AU: Both Bleach and Kill La Kill are this taken Up to Eleven so it stands to reason.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Much like in Kill la Kill, chapter titles are named after popular songs from the 70s and 80s. Instead of J-Pop, though, they're songs from western bands like Queen and Kansas.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Ryuko's rage fight with Ichigo and Satsuki.
- Improvised Weapon: The Bleach Bomb in Chapter 2.
- Ira's clipboard, utilized by Ichigo to headshot his embarrassing father.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: Everyone with a bladed weapon.
- Implied Love Interest: A lot of people think Satsuki has a crush on Ichigo. Right now, she doesn't.
- Instrument of Murder: Nonon's Subwoofers.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: Ichigo enters Satsuki's mind in order to save both her and Junketsu.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Ichigo and Satsuki.
- Kendo Team Captain: Uzu asks Ichigo to consider this after a demonstration of his skill.
- Kill the Cutie: Played straight with Mako. Then subverted.
- Large and in Charge: Ira Gamagoori.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Done a shocking number of times when BOTH Ichigo and Ryuko comment on things that usually happens in Manga.
Ichigo: "That makes things a lot easier to understand, but what's the deal with the blackboard behind you?
Uryu: "I'm not quite sure..."
- Later on when Ryuko is fighting Sanageyama, we get this little gem:
Sanageyama: "H-How? My Tengantsu should have seen that attack coming! What did you do?"
Ryuko: "This isn't a manga, you know. I'm not going to explain my powers so you can find a weakness!"
- Living Weapon: Ryuko, per the manga and Ichigo. Ururu, Ragyo, Nui, Isshin, and the Kamui to a lesser extent.
- Love Triangle: One in the past between Masaki, Isshin, and Ragyo. Ragyo never really had a chance to win Isshin over— unfortunately for a lot of people, she hasn't quite accepted her loss.
- Master Swordsman: Ichigo, Satsuki, and Uzu.
- Meaningful Name: Every single Kamui revealed so far.
- Danketsu stands for Unison signifying the relationship to its wearer, Kinue Kinagase.
- Mistaken for Gay: Isshin Kurosaki reveals that he thinks Uryu is gay just because he sews, and asks if his father knows he's in the closet. When Uryu indignantly says his father was the one who taught him how to sew, Isshin assumes his father is gay too.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Scissors, clothes, and a Bleach bomb. Yes. a Bleach Bomb.
- Mysterious Past: Nui calls Isshin on this. Technically, a ton of people have this.
- Nepotism: Satsuki first thinks this is why Ichigo was invited to Honnoji by her mom.
- Nerf Arm: A sewing machine gun.
- No, Mr. Bond, I Expect You to Dine: Ichigo believes this when Satsuki invites him to her office.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Nui, Ururu, and Nonon.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Yhwach.
- Pre-Asskicking Mutter:
- Race Lift: Jackie Tristan, who was implied to be American in the original Manga but is portrayed as French here
- In a more literal example, Ururu, who's original species is ambiguous in Bleach canon, is now a life fiber hybrid (Nui's twin, to be exact) who was spirited away by Isshin after her birth and given to Kisuke to raise.
- Retcon: Xcution are agents of Revocs, rather than Fullbringers.
- School Clubs Are Serious Business: The Gardening club.
- Shout-Out: There are a lot of them.
- Chapter 1: Orihime's vivid explanation of where Uryu went over the summer brings to mind the post-apocalyptic series Fallout.
- Shouldn't We Be in School Right Now?: What exactly is Ryuko even learning here? What is Ichigo learning here that he didn't already know at Karakura?
- Skilled, but Naive: Ryuko's had the Red sword scissor for months, yet she never really trained with it, despite the fact that she can handle it well.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Kinue Kinagase.
- Sword Beam:
- Taking You with Me: Ryuko's dad's reaction to Nui.
- The Tape Knew You Would Say That: Urahara writes a letter to Ichigo, which starts predicting his reactions and then boasts about it.
Urahara: "And yes, I can read your thoughts even through this letter that I wrote days before you found it. I am THAT good."
- Trespassing to Talk: Nui's modus operandi whenever she feels like it.
- Took a Level in Badass: Sukuyo Mankanshoku, giving Ichigo his scheduled injections with a sniper rifle from half a mile away.
- Training from Hell: Ichigo recalls this when Ururu tells him she wants to spar. Ryuko eventually complies, and is shown why.
- The Unfavorite:[[Ragyo believes that Satsuki is a failure merely being Human,and not a Hybrids like Nui or Ichigo]]
- Unskilled, but Strong: Ryuko knew how to use the Sword Scissor, but not how to use it well.
- Villainous Breakdown: Nui after feeling pain. Real pain.
- We Can Rule Together: This is one iteration that Satsuki puts forth when asking Ichigo to become Vice-President.
- When They Smile: Kinue says that despite being able to survive her experiment, it has been a long time since she's ever seen Tsumugu and Aikuro smile sincerely again. Because of this, the same could also be said of herself.
- Why Are You Not My Son?: Ragyo believes the Ichigo would serve as better Heir to her, instead of her own daughter.