open/close all folders
Middle School (Assault Rifles)
Guns who fire small caliber high speed rounds like the 5.56x45mm NATO rounds. (There are some exceptions.)
- “I can't help it, I have a skeleton stock!!”
Voiced by: Iori Nomizu (Japanese), Genevieve Simmons (English)Based on the Belgian FN FNC. Very energetic, but a bit dumb.
- Berserk Button: Sensei repeatedly talking about her thong.
- Combat Pragmatist: She will often do things that seem unconventional, such as shooting through a fountain, or skipping bullets off water to hit someone not directly in her LOS.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Doesn't like her nickname of "Funco" because she thinks it sounds weird. Strangely, the nearly-identical "Fukko" from Sixteen is perfectly fine to her (probably because they're best friends)
- Even the Girls Want Her/Chick Magnet: Sako, Sig and Aug are all gunning for her.
- Genki Girl
- Hot for Teacher: Has a long-running crush on Sensei/Genkoku.
- Ms. Exposition: She is usually the one who tells Japanese Teacher, and by extension the audience, how the universe works.
- Red Eyes! Take Warning: Has red eyes. In a bit of a subversion, is generally a nice girl.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Light purple.
- “But I only came with 3-rounds bursts mode!!”
- Bathing Beauty: She likes to keep herself clean, to the point that, even after a day where the other three spent all day picking up trash (while Sixteen was absent), she still spent more time cleaning herself than anyone else. This references the tendency of the M16 to act up unless kept near-perfectly clean.
- Berserk Button: Lame puns, specifically Ichiyon's.
- Combat Pragmatist: Keeps her barrel wrapped in a plastic bag when she needs to run through mud, and when her action gets mucked up, she works the forward assist by fanning it (cribbing a technique used for rapid-firing a single-action revolver).
- Genre Savvy: She does as well as she does because she is very aware of her own shortcomings, and works to overcome or mitigate them.
- Hair Decorations: Her orange-shaped hair clip.
- Happily Adopted: She was adopted into Ichiyon/14's family (Ichiyon was produced by Springfield, while Ichiroku was developed by Armalite then produced by Colt). Funco states that the clearest way to describe it in human terms is to say they're stepsisters.
- The Idiot from Osaka: While not explicitly stated to be from the Kansai region, she speaks with an Osakan accent and has many of the mannerisms: silly, cheerful, stubborn, foul-mouthed.
- The Illegible: Her writing is bad enough that when she writes "Funco" (フンコ) in her diary she reads it as "Fucco" (フッコ).
- Funco, not knowing about the diary, mistakes this for Ichiroku doing her a favor by not using the nickname that she hates. Ichiroku lets her keep believing that.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's somewhat foul-mouthed and unpleasant but she also cares.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Combined with a Kansai Regional Accent and its associated character archetype, she's pretty much designed to be how Japan interprets Americans as.
- (nod, nod)
Voiced by: Misato (Japanese), Nancy Novotny (English)A shy and clumsy girl who is also close to Funco. She idolizes Faru, Funco's older sister. She's based on the British L85A1.
- Bring My Brown Pants: Suffers one in chapter 6 of the manga after her skirt is clipped by a stray bullet.
- Butt-Monkey: Heavy emphasis there on "Wash and Scrub!".
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Gag Boobs: Has the largest bust size among the middle school girls, a reference to how the L85A1 is unusually heavy for an assault rifle.
- Ill Girl: Gets sick (breaks down) often, on account of the L85A1's infamously poor reliability.
- Inner Monologue
- Parasol of Prettiness: Is shown a lot with her beloved umbrella.
- Perpetual Poverty
- The Quiet One
- Shrinking Violet: Very quiet, hardly says anything at all.
- “If you can't aim from ridge to ridge, you're useless.”
Voiced by: Kaori Sadohara (Japanese), Emily Neves (English)Another of Funco's friends. Gifted in both academics and athletics, she is very competitive and hates to lose. She's implied to have a crush on Funco. She's based on the Swiss SG 550.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: She's clingy to FNC because she's the first person to ever be friendly to her at the school.
- Big Damn Heroes: Often.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: While not too clingy, she shows some signs of the jealous part for Funco when Ichiroku finishes "cleaning" her in Episode 3 and when she watches Sako kissing her in Episode 6.
- Comes out full force when FNC starts to befriend Mimi.
- Combat Pragmatist: Doesn't mind using G3's special position, even if it's really embarassing.
- Friendly Sniper: Nice to her friends, and finds amusement and enjoyment in her sniper duel with G3.
- Genius Ditz: A smart student, capable athlete, refined ojou, excellent sniper... and clueless about a lot of things in the real world.
- Single-Target Sexuality: For Funco.
Voiced by: Aya Goda (Japanese), Juliet Simmons (English)16's cousin and Funco's roommate. Based on the AR-18.
- But Not Too Foreign: She is part American and part Japanese. This references the fact that she was designed by ArmaLite and one of her manufacturers is HOWA Machinery Co.
- Only Sane Man: Compared to her four friends, Ichihachi is less goofy and a lot more down-to-earth. She also seems to spot details that Funco or Ichiroku might brush off — like G3 coming to school in her sister's place.
Sako/RK 95 TP
Voiced by: Madoka Yamanaka (Japanese), Maggie Flecknoe (English)A transfer student from another school alongside Galil, Sako plots to take over Seisho Academy Middle School by humiliating the best students. To do this, she plans on winning the jungle wargames tournament sponsored by the school. Based on the Finnish SAKO RK95 TP, export version.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Ichiroku and Sig from the pincer attack in episode 10. She doesn't do this in the manga.
- Blood Knight
- Close-Call Haircut: Sig returns the favor by shooting off Sako's side braid.
- Cold Sniper
- Combat Sadomasochist: In the animated jungle wargames tournament, she actually feels herself up during the fight against Funco's team. She pretty much gets off on shooting Funco after she's already won the match.
- Sex Is Violence: Gets turned on after watching Funco shoot Galil.
- Flower in Her Hair
- Kick Them While They Are Down: After pinning down Funco, Sako repeatedly shoots her even after she won.
- Knight of Cerebus: Her blood chillingly sadistic torture of Funco and attempted murder of Sig via sniper rifle coldly reminds the audience that Upotte is about weapons fighting battles, and in battles people die...
- Pointy Ears: Owing to being an AK-pattern rifle that isn't directly derived from the AK.
- Psycho Lesbian
- Put on a Bus: In the manga, however...
- The Bus Came Back: ... she's back for the end of the Atami shootout in the anime, taking over Galil's role.
- Red Eyes! Take Warning
- Trigger Happy
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: She uses any opportunity to cheat during the jungle wargame arc, including blinding Funco with a fragmented round glanced off the tree she was taking cover behind, and having allies in a watchtower obviously pointing out where the other team's members are for her.
- Villainous Crush: Falls for Funco
- In Love with Your Carnage: Watching Funco take down Galil really turned her on.
Voiced by: Mariko Honda (Japanese), Beth Lazarou (English)Sako's partner and a fellow transferee. Like her, Galil plans on defeating the best students of Seisho Academy in the jungle wargames tournament. She stays in Seishou after the wargames end. Is a little slow. Based on the Israeli Galil AR.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Part of the reason why she sticks to Ichihachi after the jungle wargame. Well, that, and Ichihachi did fish her out of the lake.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Girlish Pigtails
- Little Bit Beastly: Has the animal-ears and tail, like the AK series characters.
- Dog Girl:... but is actually a dog.
- Odd Friendship: Befriends 18 after she pulls her out the water, and sticks to her like glue ever since.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A
- Girlish Pigtails: Six of them and Ichiroku calls her "fountain" because of it.
- Going Commando: Stocks are generally supposed to be a representation of the girls' panties, so when Sixteen shoots off her stock in the wargames...
- Taiwanese Girl
- Verbal Tic: Ends her sentences with "~ne."
- Zettai Ryouiki: In the manga.
Voiced by: Shizuka Furuya (Japanese), Molly Searcy (English)One of FNC's classmates, and secretly one of her biggest fangirls. She serves on the Middle School student council as its President. Based on the Austrian Steyr AUG A1.
- Compressed Hair: Despite what may make more sense, her short-haired look is a wig, and her real hair underneath that is long.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Pun not intended, but while in her long-haired mode Aug gets angry very easily, to the point where she picks a fight with Miss Thompson over a relatively trivial matter.
- Meganekko: In reference to the integrated 1.5x Swarovski scope on the first model AUG.
- Multiform Balance: Can switch between a short barrel or a long barrel, which is represented by her wearing a short-haired wig (short barrel) or letting her natural long hair out (long barrel).
- Split-Personality Makeover: She could be short haired shy girl or long haired boisterous girl. This references the fact that she can change barrels depending on the situation.
- Student Council President: As revealed in Upotte Nano.
BenelliThe secretary of the Student Council. Despite being in the same grade as the assault rifles, she's actually the personification of a shotgun, the Bennelli M3.
EMFOUR/M4The student council vice prez, and one of M16's sisters.
Voiced by: Chinatsu Akasaki (Japanese)One of G3's two little sisters who are in the middle school-level, and the one who looks like her the most. Based on the HK33E.
- Alpha Bitch: She's incredibly snooty and likes to brag about her reliability as a gun.
- Apologises a Lot: Only when she's getting scolded by the teachers. Also comes with excessive bowing, sometimes going all the way down to her feet.
- Beauty Mark: Has one below her left eye.
- Berserk Button: Absolutely hates nicknames given to her such as "Chuusuri" or "Mimi".
- In-Series Nickname: Mid-33/Chuusuri and Mimi.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To G3. To the point where they can (mostly) stand in for each other. She's half a head shorter, and has a different "magazine" size than her sister though.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: To differentiate her from the rest of her sisters.
- Tsundere: Unintentionally labeled as this, due to switching out with her elder sister G3 for a day.
Fem/Ak5Based on the FNC's Swedish cousin, the Bofors Ak5 assault rifle.
High School (Battle Rifles)
Guns who fire larger rounds like the 7.62x51mm rounds.
- "It's a match, Funco."
Voiced by: Mina (Japanese), Shondra Marie (English)Funco's older sister. A popular and beautiful girl who gets very good grades and is considered a natural class leader. She's based on the British L1A1 SLR, a semi-auto-only FN FAL.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: During the battle against the Italian guns note , FAL notices that the AR70/90 in the battle is a decoy (actually AR70) just by looking at the change of material on her watch.
- Cool Big Sis
- Student Council President: For the High School-level.
- “Give in, completely!”
Voiced by Saeko Zogo (Japanese), Kara Greenberg (English)Ichiroku's older sister, and FAL's roommate at the high school dormitory. Beautiful, but crude and rowdy. Also likes making bad puns. She's based on the American M14.
- Berserk Button: Ichiroku insulting her puns.
- The Ditz
- The Dreaded/Oh, Crap!: Her nickname, "G Cutie", is a comedic version of the former and invokes the latter: The G stands for God not again.
- Hot-Blooded: Quite so.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: When firing her M14 on full auto. Possibly in reference to the early, full-auto capable versions of the M14, which were impossible to control in that mode - according to 16, her spread is about 10 meters. The uselessness of this feature resulted in the full auto trigger group being locked on semi-auto or removed entirely from almost all M14-style rifles made since.
- In-Series Nickname: G Cutie. (The "G" stands for "God, not again.")
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Much to everyone's annoyance, Ichiyon loves dishing these out.
- “Let's settle this!”
Voiced by: Mami Kosuge (Japanese), Chelsea Ryan McCurdy (English)A skilled sniper, but also very kind. Based on the German G3A3.
- Blood Knight: Gets way too excited during fights.
- Combat Pragmatist: Willing to use a recoil-reducing shooting position that causes her to flash her underwear at her opponent.
- Friendly Sniper
- Hime Cut
- Onee-sama: To the rest of the HK sisters in the middle and elementary schools.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: A representation of the rifle's all-black fixed polymer stock.
- Strong Family Resemblance: All of her sisters strongly resemble her; in reality, nearly all of Heckler & Koch's product lines in the Cold War were derived from the G3.
AR-10One of G3, M14, and FAL's classmates. Obviously based on the American AR-10, which means that she's related to Ichihachi, at least on her non-Japanese side. Featured in Upotte Nano.
LF-59AR-10's friend, and yet another of G3, M14, and FAL's classmates. Based on the Italian Franchi LF-59, which is derived from the FN-FAL. She takes over for G3 during the Enoshima trip when the former is forced to attend remedial classes. Featured in Upotte Nano, as well as the main manga.
- Sempai Kouhai: Sempai to both AR 70/90 and SPAS-12.
Elementary School (Submachine Guns)
Guns who fire pistol rounds like the 9x19mm rounds. (There are some exceptions)
Voiced by: Chika Horikawa (Japanese), Brittany Djie (English)One of G3's little sisters. Based on the MP5A2. Can be seen as the viewpoint character for the elementary school portions of Upotte Nano.
- Accidental Misnaming: Funco and the other middle schoolers call her "wee-3"note due to looking like her older sister G3.
- Cavalier Competitor: Doesn't really care for the position of "leader" that Uzi think she holds, and is perfectly willing to give it up, but Uzi keeps on pushing the issue.
- Idiot Hair
- Strong Family Resemblance: Looks like a loli G3 - because the MP5 is essentially a G3 in submachinegun size, chambered for 9mm. Taken further in that her "younger" sisters, MP5K and MP5SD, could pass for being triplets with her.
Voiced by: Ayumi Fujimura (Japanese), Allison Sumrall (English)Based on the American MAC-10.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Hidden Buxom: She's apparently quite stacked. Reflects how the real-life M10 is top-heavy and tiring to handle for long.
- Motor Mouth: A reference to her ridiculously high firing rate of 1090 rounds per minute.
- The Quiet One: ...However she turns into this when she runs out of bullets.
- Youthful Freckles
RetaOne of Empi's friends. Based on the Italian Beretta M125.
CobraYet another of Empi's classmates. Based on the Finnish Jatimatic.
- Beautiful All Along: Much to the shock of everyone.
- Cool Shades: Is almost never seen without her sunglasses. Apparently she only takes them off when she's bathing.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Going Commando: Implied by TMP.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: No one ever calls her by her real name, and instead they just name her after the movie that made the gun famous.
UziOne of Empi's classmates, who wants to be the "leader" of the elementary schoolers. As she thinks that Empi is the leader, she keeps on challenging her in order to take her place. Obviously based on the first model in the Israeli line of Uzi submachineguns.
- Canine Companion: After Chapter 4 in Upotte Nano, she got herself a wolf companion that she can ride.
- The Rival: To Empi, or at least she thinks she is.
Another of G3's younger sisters. Despite being an elementary-schooler, she has the same height and figure as a middle-schooler. Based on the German HK53.
- Huge Schoolgirl: She is as tall as a middle school student; it is something that embarrasses her. It is a reference to her firing assault rifle rounds instead of pistol rounds like other SMGs.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To G3, MP5 and HK33E. However, she wears the standard Atami uniform and not the uniform worn by her sisters because the particular variant of the HK53 that she's based on, the A3 variant, uses a retractable stock, unlike the solid fixed stock on the other G3 derivatives.
Tampi/TMPAug's younger sister, and the "boss" of the grade school dorm (much to Uzi's chagrin). Blunt and more than a little too sure about herself and her sister.
The faculty of the school.
- Driving Question: What is his name and nationality?
- Epic Fail: At the Jerkass' shooting gallery, all his shots hit Funco instead.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Is mostly called "Sensei" or "Modern Lit."
- Conversed and Lampshaded in episode 7, when Funco asks what his name is. 16, L and Sig all reply with "Japanese teacher."
- The Faceless: for most of the first episode.
- Innocently Insensitive
- Meaningful Name: His surname is Browning, after one of the most famous gun designers in history.
- Only Sane Man: Except when it comes to women.
- Token Human: Of the faculty.
- Too Dumb to Live: His constant reference to Funco's thong.
- Beautiful All Along: When she drops the uniformed look for the seaside school. So much so that "Sensei" is taken aback.note
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Ate flowers when experimenting with growing edible plants.
- The Comically Serious
- Eye Patch Of Power
- Ms. Fanservice: In the OVA she appears topless.
Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (Japanese), Jovan Jackson (English)The headmaster of the school. Based on the American M1903 Springfield rifle.
USMC Drill Instructor. Based on the American M1 Garand rifle.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: USMC DI. It's in the job description.
- Spell My Name with an "S": His name is commonly spelled "Garland", but the actual rifle is spelled "Garand".
- Stern Teacher: Very. He's quite pissed off when Funco, Ichiroku and Eru skip long range target shooting and try to pass off Shigu's shots as their own.
Thompson sub-machine gun.
- The Ditz
- Gag Boobs: Lampshaded by one of the HK sisters in Nano.
- Mama Bear: When Aug started shooting her students, she brings her old gangster self back to protect the kids.
- Ms. Fanservice: In episode 8 she was all dressed up in a really long webbed strap, which just barely covered her body.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Three for three of the American guns rendered as girls.
- The Roaring '20s: Originated from that decade where she was used by both law enforcement and gangsters; was later used by the military in World War 2.
- Surprisingly Good English: Says a few phrases in English which are well pronounced with an American accent. It does help that her Japanese voice actress, Sayaka Ohara, can speak good English.
Red Steel High School
The school for Eastern-bloc weapons such as the AK family.AK-74 rifle. She is the ringleader of the Red Steel High during the Atami Battle.
AN-94The personification of the AN-94 rifle. She acts as a guardian for the Russian Major visiting Atami.
The MajorA Russian Major that is one of the administrators of Red Steel High.
Type-64The personification of the Japanese Howa Type 64 Battle Rifle. As she is chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO rounds, this means she is on the same year level as G3, FAL, and M14. Assumed to be one of Ichihachi's cousins on her Japanese side. Featured in Upotte Nano.
- Cool Big Sis
- Hair Decorations: A flower hairpin.
- Hime Cut
- Friendly Sniper: Despite being a battle rifle, she seems to fill this role.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Even wears a traditional kimono to complete the look.
Type-89The personification of the Japanese Howa Type 89 Assault Rifle, and younger sister of Type-89. Since she uses 5.56mm rounds, this puts her in the same year level as Funco, Elle, Sig, and Ichiroku. Assumed to be one of Ichihachi's local cousins. Featured in Upotte Nano.
AR 70/90An assault rifle who met up with the friends on their trip to Enoshima. While being a gun personification like Funco and her friends, the school that she goes to is a normal public school, meaning that it's attended by human students. She seems to have a history with Funco, which makes things awkward when around her. She obviously is based on the Italian Beretta AR 70/90 .
- Honey Trap: Tries this to get the teacher to stay in Enoshima. It doesn't really work.
- Impersonation Gambit: She does one of these to perform the above, and has her older sister AR70 stand-in as her. HK33 manages to figure out the deception.note
- The Rival: Her resentment of FNC apparently stems from the fact that they share similar designs.
- Token Human: Inverted. Both she and SPAS are the token guns to the school they attend.