open/close all folders
The Goonies (In General)
"Goonies never say die!"
A group of lovable misfits from the Goon Docks. They are all facing foreclosure on their homes due to a certain Elgin Perkins
desire to expand Astoria's Country Club. Faced with the immanent loss of their homes and friends the Goonies embark on an adventure to find the treasure of an infamous pirate, One-Eyed Willy, in a last ditch effort to stop Perkins.
The Main Goonies
Michael "Mikey" Walsh
"Home? What home? In a couple more hours, it ain't gonna be home anymore. Come on, guys, this is our time. Our last chance to see if there really is any rich stuff. We've got to."
When the opportunity comes to go on an adventure to find Willy's lost treasure and save the Goon Docks, Mikey jumps at the chance.
- Accidental Kiss: With Andy, after Brand asks him to go to see what she wants.
- Ascended Fanboy: He grows up loving his Dad's stories about the pirate One-Eyed Willy and suddenly finds himself chasing after his long lost treaure. And eventually coming face to face with him.
- First Kiss: Accidentally with Andy.
- The Heart: Encourages the Goonies to stick to the quest.
- The Hero
- Jumped at the Call
- Misfit Mobilization Moment / Rousing Speech: When it looks like the gangs about give up on the adventure, he gives a pretty compelling speech about seizing the opportunity to do something great.
- Rube Goldberg Device: Mikey has one of these at his house. It's used as a gate opener.
- Saving The Goon Docks: Believes wholeheartedly that they can find the treasure and save their homes.
- Undead Author: Discussed Trope. When recounting the tale of how One Eyed Willy ended up trapped with his men and eventually killing each other Brand points out if that's true how did the story get out. Mikey was smart enough to ask this question himself, his father giving a Hand Wave that a member of his crew must have somehow escaped with the map.
Clark "Mouth" Devereaux
"Chunk, I'm pretty much ODing on all your bullshit stories!"
Talkative and abrasive Mouth very much lives up to his name.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Stef, oh so much.
- Chekhov's Skill: Mouth's fluency in Spanish.
- Cunning Linguist: His knowledge of Spanish is strong enough for him to deliberately mistranslate instructions to the Walsh's maid for his own amusement.
Mrs. Walsh: Now Rosalita, this is the attic. Mr. Walsh doesn't like anybody up here, ever. That's why it's always open.
Mouth: [to Rosalita in Spanish] Never go up there. It's filled with Mr. Walsh's sexual torture devices.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Jerk Ass/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Shifts between the two, especially the latter when he's around Stef.
- Kid Hero
- The Lancer: To Mikey.
- Meaningful Name: Unsurprisingly he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. No matter the situation.
- Also illustrated when Ma Fratelli has to go through an Extended Disarming scene of getting treasure he's hiding. He literally has a big mouth.
- Saving The Goon Docks
- Ship Tease: With Stef. So very much.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: Stef accuses him of stealing other peoples hopes and dreams when lifting coins from the wishing well. Mouth quickly calls her out on this by informing her that his wishes and dreams never came true and so he's taking them all back.
- Spotting the Thread: Ma Fratelli notices he's awfully quiet for a guy called Mouth. Turns out it's because he's stuffed a fortune worth of treasure into his mouth.
- With Friends Like These...: He LOVES to tease Chunk so much, to the point where Chunk tries to kill him.
Richard "Data" Wang
"I am wondering... what is in the bag?"
Amateur inventor who brings his smarts and gadgets along for the journey with his friends.
Lawrence "Chunk" Cohen
"Listen, okay? You guys'll never believe me. There was two cop cars, okay? And they were chasing this four-wheel deal, this real neat ORV, and there were bullets flying all over the place. It was the most amazing thing I ever saw!"
Chunk finds himself in the rare position of telling the truth about a police car chase he witnessed but finds none of his fellow Goonies willing to believe him. A lifetime of tall tales and pranks will do that.
- Attention Whore: Implied to be one of the reasons he lies so much.
- Bad Liar: When confronted with the fact he once claimed Michael Jackson came round to his house to use the toilet. He later relented and admitted he didn't, but his sister did.
- Big Damn Hero: Along with Sloth comes to the rescue of the Goonies in the finale.
- Berserk Button: First when Mouth tells Chunk he has naked pictures of his mom taking a bath, real cheap, forcing Chunk to break the door open. Second, averted, when Chunk accidentally breaks the water cooler he was drinking from when Mouth thought of putting chocolate on the floor so he can eat through. "Okay Mouth, that's all I can stand and I can't stand no more!"
- Big Eater
- Brains and Brawn: The brains to Sloth's brawn.
- Butt Monkey
- Cassandra Truth: All his talk about seeing a police chase and then noticing the very same ORV with bullet holes in it is largely dismissed due to his past reputation.
- Crying Wolf: When he attempts to phone the police about the Fratelli's chasing after his friends over buried treasure the sheriff chalks it up to yet another outlandish tale. In his defense Chunk was notorious for this.
"Just like that last prank about all those little creatures
who multiply when you throw water on them."
- He's Dead, Jim: "It's a STIFF!"
- Kid-Appeal Character
- Kid Hero
- The Klutz: To the point that his when his fellow Goonies need something broken they just ask him to hold it or provoke him. When Chunk nearly drops the water cooler everyone present still reacts as if it's still too late. He then ends up dropping it.
- Phrase Catcher: "Shut up, Chunk."
- Vomit Chain Reaction: Chunk claims he accidentally started one in a movie theater as a result of a practical joke involving fake puke Gone Horribly Wrong.
- With Friends Like These...: With Mouth.
Rest Of The Gang
Brandon "Brand" Walsh
Mikey's big brother, who as the eldest tries to be the most level headed of the group. Initially he's just trying to get Mikey back home safe but ends up swept up in the adventure too.
Andrea "Andy" Carmichael
"Brand's being so sweet to me..."
A cheerleader who is the Love Interest
of the resident Jerk Jock
but actually seems rather more found of Brand. She ends up stumbling into their quest largely by accident.
Stephanie "Stef" Steinbrenner
"This is ridiculous. It's crazy. I feel like I'm babysitting, except I'm not getting paid."
Stef's friends with Andy and, like her, doesn't usually associate with the Goonies. But she ends up following Andy anyways.
Lotney "Sloth" Fratelli
"Hey you guys!"
Sloth is a seemingly scary Madman in the Attic
, but is revealed to be more of a Gentle Giant after becoming friends with Chunk.
"Trust your dear old mother boys. Throw 'er into four-wheel drive and hold on to your hats."
The leader of the Fratelli gang, and mother of Jake, Francis and Sloth.
"Watch your hair! Watch your hair! They're goin' for the hair!"
Allegedly wears a toupee but strongly denies it
. Apparently the 'favored' son.
"Do you remember the time we were going to get your teeth fixed and we spent all of the money on Francis's toupee?"
Broken out of jail at the beginning of the movie. He has a particular fondness for singing Italian opera.
Other Notable Characters
Mrs. Irene Walsh & Mr. Irving Walsh
"Brandon, don't you come home without your brother, or I'll commit Hare Krishna!"
Mikey and Brand's parents. Both are seemingly distracted by both work and the impending forced eviction from their homes. Their mother is very protective of Mikey and might even be exaggerating the extent of his asthma. Their father is the curator of the local history museum.
"Alright Walsh. Today's the day so let's get this over with."
Despite having a relatively minor role in the movie Perkins is actually the main threat
to the Goonies way of life. He wants to develop a golf course where the Goon Docks is currently located.
- Bigger Bad: He's the very reason the Goonies are off hunting a treasure and risking their lives.
- Jerkass: A man willing to evict just over 50 families from their homes for a golf course.
- Near Villain Victory: He's literally seconds from having Mikey's father sign over his home. But then Rosalita finds Mikey's marble bag...
- Nothing Personal: Comes across like this. Never really seems all that bothered by the fact he's ruining peoples lives just so he can add a new actively to his downtime. It's just a bit of business that needs taking care of before he can go about building that course. His son on the other hand takes great delight rubbing in the face of the Goonies.
- Spanner in the Works: He could not have foreseen the kids going off and finding a priceless treasure mere moments before he gained ownership of the land. And of course if Rosalita hadn't bothered checking Mikey's pockets or even took a little longer doing so he'd have got his hands on the Goon Docks.
- Smug Snake: "You're looking at the richest man in Astoria." Not rich enough though.
"Come on Walsh we don't have all day. There's 50 more houses to tear down after yours."
The resident Jerk Jock
and son of Mr. Perkins. He has a crush on Andy and isn't shy about admitting it. He takes great delight in tormenting the Goonies and openly revels in their eviction at his father hands.
- All Men Are Perverts: Attempts to use his car mirror to look up Andy's skirt or down her top, without really bothering to hide the fact. Andy is not impressed.
- Asshole Victim: Andy punches him off-screen for being a pervert and then Goonies accidently send him flying off a toilet at his precious country club. Both times are well deserved.
- The Bully
- The Can Kicked Him: Whilst not fatal of course, it's very likely painful as well as humiliating to be launched headfirst into a bathroom ceiling when you've been sitting on the can. Then crying out for your daddy despite being a grown man. And very amusing for the audience.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Andy chooses Brand and the Goonies over him.
- It's Personal: Unlike his father Troy loves to rub the fact the Goon Docks is about to become a thing of the past in the Goonies face.
- Jerkass / Jerk Jock
- Laser-Guided Karma: Of all the toilets in all Astoria, the Goonies manage to mess up the plumbing in his and karma finds itself a worthy target.
- Spoiled Brat
- Smug Snake
"My God, I'm in a crazy house!"
An Hispanic cleaner hired by Mikey's mother to help them move out and leave the house clean "before they knock it down." She doesn't speak any English.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Rosalita accidentally finds the salvation of the Goonies in Mikey's marble bag mere moments before they lose everything.
- Ethnic Menial Labor
- Jump Scare: In-Universe. Courtesy of Mouth.
- The Illegal: Implied.
- Language Barrier: Rosalita only speaks Spanish. Fortunately Mouth is available to translate for Mrs. Walsh. Unfortunately he takes this opportunity to deliberately mistranslate everything Mrs. Walsh says for his own amusement. Later on her inability to speak English actually becomes a dramatic Plot Point when she becomes too excited and speaks too fast for Mouth to translate quickly.
- Spanner in the Works: If Rosalita hadn't bothered checking Mikey's pockets or decided to check them a little later Perkin's would have gotent his hands on the Goon Docks.
"Just like that last prank about all those little creatures who multiply when you throw water on them."
Understandably (and justifiably) doesn't believe Chunk when he tells him he's locked in the Fratelli's basement. That is until the phone call gets abruptly cut off causing him to believe something is amiss. But he still
doesn't believe in the pirate ship until he (and everyone else) saw it out in sea.