English: Chris PattonThe Protagonist of the series. An artistic youth, he finds himself drawn into a chain of events beyond his capacity to understand and through the people around him he has to find his place in the world.
- A God Am I: Happens once he's merged with the RahXephon. He does a good job of fixing things once he does, though.
- Age-Appropriate Angst: Of the existential variety. He never descends beyond what's understandable, either.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Haruka.
- Chick Magnet: To the point where some people consider this show a Harem Series.
- Dangerous Seventeenth Birthday
- The Determinator: "There's something I want to protect."
- Falling into the Cockpit: Subverted: Ayato has been prepared for piloting the RahXephon his entire life, he just doesn't know it until midway through the series.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Part-Mulian
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Inverted: Because he pilots the RahXephon, he's none too shabby at aerial dogfight arcade games. He's no match for Ace Pilot Elvy, though.
- Intertwined Fingers: With Haruka.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia
- Likes Older Women: Averted. One of the first things he says to Haruka is that he doesn't like older women. Luckily for her, he falls in love with her just as much as he did with the teenage one.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Vivance the Dolem traps him in one of these. He breaks out because of Reika and beats the hell out of Vivance with RahXephon's help.
- Male Gaze: As he's introduced to the cast, the camera has a tendency to fixate on the particular features of the ladies.
- Naïve Newcomer
- Nice Guy:
- Oblivious to Love
- Pro-Human Transhuman
- Refusal of the Call
- Screaming Warrior
- Stranger in a Familiar Land
- Technician Versus Performer: Ayato's (artistic) ability to pilot the RahXephon is contrasted by Itsuki's failed (scientific) attempts
- Time Travel: Not literal, but he feels like this after being brought out of Tokyo Jupiter, comparing himself to Urashima Taro (Japanese Rip Van Winkle and main character of the first documented story about time travel).
- Tomato in the Mirror
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: When the Mu Phase in his blood activates, the people around him begin to have doubts about how trustworthy he really is. He proceeds to prove them all wrong by being such a decent guy
- You Are Not Alone: For the finale
English: Monica RialA spunky and mysterious woman who first meets Ayato in the subways of Tokyo and promises to reveal to him the secrets of the world. Her professional competence and tough exterior hide a complex and sensitive woman.
- Action Girl
- Action Girlfriend : As a corollary to the above.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Or rather erased due to Mulian mental conditioning.
- Boy Meets Girl: Or rather, boy re-meets girl.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Ayato.
- Christmas Cake: 29 years old. Downplayed in that her age isn't really brought up much and Megumi is even a little jealous of her managing to be fairly girly despite her age (like maintaining a crush on the same guy since she was a teenager ).
- Femme Fatale: Subverted. Her introduction paints her as a shifty and potentially dangerous person, future episodes reveal her to be nothing but sweetness and fun.
- Intertwined Fingers: With Ayato.
- I Will Wait for You: Made worse by Year Inside, Hour Outside.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- May-December Romance: Played straight until the very end where it's subverted because Ayato's re-tuning resulted in him growing to be the same age as Haruka.
- Mysterious Protector: In a roundabout way throughout the entire series.
- Say My Name: "AYATO!"
- Spanner in the Works: To Maya's plans.
Reika Mishima/IxtliJapanese: Maaya Sakamoto
English: Mandy ClarkAn ethereal girl in a yellow dress who Ayato seems to recognize from somewhere. She definitely knows more than she lets on and is connected to the secrets of the RahXephon.
- Cryptic Conversation: Which also fully explain the plot.
- Deus ex Machina: A completely justified one.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Her attempt to truly awaken the RahXephon in episode 23 is rather like an Immodest Orgasm.
- Mind Control: Will invoke this on people in order to get them to guide Ayato towards his destiny.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting / Empathic Shapeshifter: As the soul of the RahXephon she takes the form of the person most important to her pilots. Since the RahXephon was split in two she had to guide two pilots. For Ayato this was a younger Haruka. For Quon it was Ayato.
- Yamato Nadeshiko
English: Kira Vincent-DavisSister of Itsuki and test subject of TERRA. She knows much about the plot but will never give a straight answer about it.
- Cryptic Conversation: Pretty much whenever she says anything.
- Demoted to Extra: She sleeps through almost the entire movie.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Genius Ditz: More like Genius Cloudcuckoolander. She learns shogi (Japanese chess) from Rikudoh. The next time the camera focuses on them (in the same episode), Rikudoh is noticeably having a hard time in the game.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: It turns out that Quon is in fact the biological mother of Ayato and Itsuki, and is Maya's older twin sister.
- Impossible Hair Color: Dark pink, long and usually in a braid.
- Motherly Side Plait
- Mysterious Waif
- Older Than She Looks: Quon is Maya's older twin sister, but has only aged since leaving stasis right before the formation of Tokyo Jupiter.
- The Ophelia
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: "To be perfectly honest, I'd like to take off everything...but if I came here to get my haircut naked I'd probably get scolded, don't you think?"
- Verbal Tic: "Ra ra?" which she uses when she's surprised or as an equivalent to what most people would respond with a "what."
- Waif Prophet
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair
Itsuki KisaragiJapanese: Mitsuru Miyamoto
English: Jay HickmanA scientist of TERRA and brother of Quon.
- Big Brother Instinct: Ironic considering he's actually Quon's son and Ayato is his older brother.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Nothing explicitly overt, but his affection for Quon is a tad bit obsessive.
- Cain and Abel: He's a good guy despite an upbringing under Bähbem. His dynamic with Ayato is quite interesting, though not as vicious as other examples of this trope.
- Defrosting Ice King: He's quite aloof in the first part of the series. Once his motivations are fleshed out, however...
- Hot Scientist
- Ayato, I Am Your Twin Brother
- Replacement Goldfish: To Haruka, in a sense. It's heavily implied that she once had a relationship with Itsuki because he looked like Ayato.
Makoto IsshikiJapanese: Toshihiko Seki
English: Illich GuardiolaAn Earth federation inspector sent to observe and inspect TERRA.
- Berserk Button: "Don't... Call me... D!"
- The Casanova: He used his sexual conquests to gather information about goings on in TERRA and to gratify his own ego, with no concern for his partner's well-being.
- Cloning Blues: Eventually leading to his emotional meltdown.
- Deadpan Snarker: he'd be very funny, were he not such a condescending bastard
- Evil Albino
- Manipulative Bastard: Poor Nanamori
- Meaningful Name: "Isshiki" means "one color." Take a wild guess at which one. Whereas Makoto means either "truth" or "faithful" depending on how it is written. Considering his casanova personality and origin as a clone neither really apply to him. Although knowing his family, this naming was probably intentional.
- Smug Snake: Goddamn, is he ever. Characters in the series even call him "The White Snake". It runs in the family.
- Start of Darkness: He may be a callous prick as an adult, but just try and watch the episode about his childhood and not feel like he badly needs a hug. "And I wonder if that clay doll ever found its parents, in the mud?"
- Tragic Keepsake: He's kept a piece of the clay from the Dolem from his childhood that got stuck with a clump of his hair
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: When he usurps control of TERRA.
- The Unfavourite: Especially harsh when your earliest memories are fellow clones suggesting that a short life expectancy for you might be "a small mercy".
- Unwitting Pawn: To both Bähbem and Ixtli
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
- Villainous Breakdown: After he brings down Tokyo Jupiter and ends up inadvertently assisting the Mulian invasion plans.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Ends up contributing to the aforementioned breakdown.
- With Friends Like These...: With Itsuki. The scientist is Isshki's oldest and closest friend, and Isshki still treats him like shit.
- Yaoi Guys: There are hints in the early part of the series that he and Itsuki had been more than just friends when were young boys.
Sayoko NanamoriJapanese: Atsuko Tanaka
English: Kelly ManisonA scientist at TERRA. Works under Itsuki, and harbors some feelings for him.
- Driven to Suicide: After accidentally killing Itsuki and being revealed to be a Tomato in the Mirror.
- Drowning My Sorrows
- Horny Scientist
- Hot Scientist
- Love Martyr
- Running Gag: Her windshield wipers work on their own when she's in her car and upset.
- Together in Death: With Itsuki, who she unwittingly killed.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Bähbem really is a piece of work.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Becomes more and more angry and bitchy as the series goes on.
- Unwitting Pawn: For Isshki's (and Bähbem's) schemes
Mamoru TorigaiJapanese: Hirofumi Nojima
English: Vic MignognaA friend of Ayato's from Tokyo and Asahina's boyfriend.
- Evil Former Friend: To Ayato.
- Face-Heel Turn
- Irony: His name means "to protect." After he's revealed to be a Jerkass, he does nothing that supports his name. In contrast, one of the most uttered lines from Ayato is that "he wants to protect" something.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Most notable in the first few episodes. In truth, however, he's really just a...
- Jerk Ass: He's quite a condescending bastard, especially to Ayato.Things got even worse after he discovered that Ayato had killed Hiroko.]]
- Manipulative Bastard: He REALLY likes to plays off of Ayato's guilt.
- The Rival
- Those Two Guys: Subverted, as noted above.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: It's heavily implied in the last episode that he and Hiroko ended up marrying each other.
Hiroko AsahinaJapanese: Yumi Kakazu
English: Cynthia MartinezMamoru's girlfriend and a friend of Ayato.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Due to her being linked with a dolem, which Ayato inflicted what would amount to a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown.
- Dying Declaration of Love: Which she desperately writes in a notepad as Ayato is unknowngly killing her via destroying a Dolem she's linked to. Once she dies, the lights of the nearby buildings spell it out to him.
- Fish out of Water: She becomes like this once Ayato brings her out of Tokyo Jupiter.
- Kill the Cutie
- Those Two Guys
- Tsundere: To Mamoru. We never see her 'dere' side shown to him, but she's got all the Tsun-Tsun mannerisms. And you see how she acts around Ayato...
Kim HotalJapanese: Fumiko Orikasa
English: Tiffany GrantAn extremely professional member of TERRA and friend of Megumi Shitow.
Megumi ShitowJapanese: Ayako Kawasumi
English: Hilary HaagHaruka's younger sister.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: But in a sweet and likable way. While she's still older than most examples, she still fulfils this role quite a bit.
- Bridge Bunnies
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: "Megumi Shitow used to have a bit of a crush on Ayato Kamina! But she doesn't anymore! That's what she's decided!"
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: with Ayato. in the later episodes, this attitude starts to change a bit.
Ernst Von BähbemJapanese: Iemasa Kayumi
English: Ted PfisterThe enigmatic director of the Bähbem Foundation. He harbors a special interest in ancient Mayan civilizations.
- Affably Evil: He is exceedingly well-spoke and polite
- Big Bad: Not only does he give off this air, but he is behind most of the things that drive the plot.
- Dirty Old Man: He seems to enjoy touching the tattoo on Quon's belly far too much. It's even worse in the movie.
- For Science!: His ultimate motivation behind making the RahXephon.
- Grand Theft Me: His means of living so long.
- Immortality Immorality: When your method of choice involves seizing control of people you've raised since birth, it definitely counts.
- Really 700 Years Old: More like millennia.
- Smug Snake: Now you see where Isshki and Helena get it from!
- Wicked Cultured: He knows much about fine art and culture, particularly Nahatual cultures. Given that he lived through most of it, this shouldn't be surprising.
Maya KaminaJapanese: Ichiko Hashimoto
English: Laura ChapmanShe is Ayato's mother (or better said, his aunt) , a confident and strong woman who wants only the best for her son. She is the leader of the Mu.
- Lady of War
- My Beloved Smother: Well-intentioned, but so very overwhelming to poor Ayato.
- Parental Neglect: Not intentionally. She provides for Ayato but works a lot and doesn't make time for him. Ayato calls her out on it in a dream sequence.
Souchi YakumoJapanese: Kouki Miyata
English: Mark LaskowskiThe second-in-command of TERRA and an all around friendly guy. He's also Kim's boyfriend.
- The Generic Guy
- The Pollyanna: He's definitely the most cheerful person in all of TERRA.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Reverse Mole: When Isshki usurps, Souchi goes out of his way to kiss the bastard's ass to make sure Isshki fails.
Elvy HadhiyatJapanese: Yuu Sugimoto
English: Christine M. AutenLeader of TERRA's airforce and friend of Haruka.
- Ace Pilot
- Ambiguously Brown: Averted. It's noted in-story that she's from Indonesia and her nickname, "Bunga Mawar," means "Rose Blossom."
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: She is hilarious when drunk. "You wanna lock on? Dogfight 'til morning, cutey?"
- The Lad-ette
- Vitriolic Best Buds: She and Haruka exchange quite a few riffs, despite being good friends.
Commander Jin KunuugiJapanese: George Nakata
English: John GremillionThe somber commander of TERRA's military operations. He buried Mulians under the cherry trees in his garden.
- The Atoner
- Bad Ass: This is joked about and hinted at throughout the series, until we finally get to see it for ourselves.
- Cynicism Catalyst: His harsh, businesslike attitude is apparently due to firing the bomb that killed his daughter.
- Heroic Sacrifice: And an absolutely badass one, at that.
- Memetic Badass: Invoked. Legend says he buried Mulians under the cherry trees in his garden, which is why the cherries that blossom from his trees are blue.
- Not So Stoic: The scene where he laughs when Ayato asks about the blue cherry blossoms is absolutely priceless.
- The Stoic
Commander WatariJapanese: Kenji Utsumi
English: Mike KleinhenzThe operations manager of TERRA.
- A Father to His Men: He buys them all Chrismas presents to make up for leaving them with a boatload of work before the holidays
- Eyepatch of Power: A unique one - it seems he has perfectly normal right eye, but he wears this anyhow.
- Ayato I Am Your Father
- Reasonable Authority Figure
RikudohJapanese: Chikao Ohtsuka
English: John SwaseyHaruka and Megumi's Uncle and Maya's adoptive father. Lives on Nirai Kanai island
Futagami/ JomanjiJapanese: Katsunosuke Hori
English: Andy Mc AvinA laid back, bumbling observer sent by Terra to placate the media.
- Catch Phrase: "What's your take on that?"
- Intrepid Reporter
- Guile Hero
- Hidden Depths (Didn't peg him as the top brass military commander type, now, eh?)
- Obfuscating Stupidity