The characters of RahXephon
Warning: MASSIVE Spoilers abound.
Ayato KaminaJapanese: Hiro Shimono English: Chris PattonThe Protagonist
of the series. An artistic youth, he finds himself drawn into a chain of events beyond his capacity to understand and through the people around him he has to find his place in the world.
- A God Am I: Happens once he's merged with the RahXephon. He does a good job of fixing things once he does, though.
- Age-Appropriate Angst: Of the existential variety. He never descends beyond what's understandable, either.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Haruka.
- Chick Magnet: To the point where some people consider this show a Harem Series.
- Dangerous Seventeenth Birthday
- The Determinator: "There's something I want to protect."
- Falling into the Cockpit: Subverted: Ayato has been prepared for piloting the RahXephon his entire life, he just doesn't know it until midway through the series.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Part-Mulian
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Inverted: Because he pilots the RahXephon, he's none too shabby at aerial dogfight arcade games. He's no match for Ace Pilot Elvy, though.
- Intertwined Fingers: With Haruka.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia
- Likes Older Women: Averted. One of the first things he says to Haruka is that he doesn't like older women. Luckily for her, he falls in love with her just as much as he did with the teenage one.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Vivance the Dolem traps him in one of these. He breaks out because of Reika and beats the hell out of Vivance with RahXephon's help.
- Male Gaze: As he's introduced to the cast, the camera has a tendency to fixate on the particular features of the ladies.
- Naïve Newcomer
- Nice Guy:
- Oblivious to Love
- Pro-Human Transhuman
- Refusal of the Call
- Screaming Warrior
- Stranger in a Familiar Land
- Technician Versus Performer: Ayato's (artistic) ability to pilot the RahXephon is contrasted by Itsuki's failed (scientific) attempts
- Time Travel: Not literal, but he feels like this after being brought out of Tokyo Jupiter, comparing himself to Urashima Taro (Japanese Rip Van Winkle and main character of the first documented story about time travel).
- Tomato in the Mirror
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: When the Mu Phase in his blood activates, the people around him begin to have doubts about how trustworthy he really is. He proceeds to prove them all wrong by being such a decent guy
- You Are Not Alone: For the finale
Haruka ShitowJapanese: Aya Hisakawa English: Monica Rial
A spunky and mysterious woman who first meets Ayato in the subways of Tokyo and promises to reveal to him the secrets of the world. Her professional competence and tough exterior hide a complex and sensitive woman.
Reika Mishima/IxtliJapanese: Maaya Sakamoto English: Mandy Clark
An ethereal girl in a yellow dress who Ayato seems to recognize from somewhere. She definitely knows more than she lets on and is connected to the secrets of the RahXephon
Quon KisaragiJapanese: Houko Kuwashima English: Kira Vincent-Davis
Sister of Itsuki and test subject of TERRA. She knows much about the plot but will never give a straight answer about it.
Itsuki KisaragiJapanese: Mitsuru Miyamoto English: Jay Hickman
A scientist of TERRA and brother of Quon.
Makoto IsshikiJapanese: Toshihiko Seki English: Illich Guardiola
An Earth federation inspector sent to observe and inspect TERRA.
- Berserk Button: "Don't... Call me... D!"
- The Casanova: He used his sexual conquests to gather information about goings on in TERRA and to gratify his own ego, with no concern for his partner's well-being.
- Cloning Blues: Eventually leading to his emotional meltdown.
- Deadpan Snarker: he'd be very funny, were he not such a condescending bastard
- Evil Albino
- Illich Guardiola
- Manipulative Bastard: Poor Nanamori
- Meaningful Name: "Isshiki" means "one color." Take a wild guess at which one. Whereas Makoto means either "truth" or "faithful" depending on how it is written. Considering his casanova personality and origin as a clone neither really apply to him. Although knowing his family, this naming was probably intentional.
- Smug Snake: Goddamn, is he ever. Characters in the series even call him "The White Snake". It runs in the family.
- Start of Darkness: He may be a callous prick as an adult, but just try and watch the episode about his childhood and not feel like he badly needs a hug. "And I wonder if that clay doll ever found its parents, in the mud?"
- Tragic Keepsake: He's kept a piece of the clay from the Dolem from his childhood that got stuck with a clump of his hair
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: When he usurps control of TERRA.
- The Unfavourite: Especially harsh when your earliest memories are fellow clones suggesting that a short life expectancy for you might be "a small mercy".
- Unwitting Pawn: To both Bähbem and Ixtli
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
- Villainous Breakdown: After he brings down Tokyo Jupiter and ends up inadvertently assisting the Mulian invasion plans.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Ends up contributing to the aforementioned breakdown.
- With Friends Like These...: With Itsuki. The scientist is Isshki's oldest and closest friend, and Isshki still treats him like shit.
- Yaoi Guys: There are hints in the early part of the series that he and Itsuki had been more than just friends when were young boys.
Sayoko NanamoriJapanese: Atsuko Tanaka English: Kelly Manison
A scientist at TERRA. Works under Itsuki, and harbors some feelings for him.
Mamoru TorigaiJapanese: Hirofumi Nojima English: Vic Mignogna
A friend of Ayato's from Tokyo and Asahina's boyfriend.
- Evil Former Friend: To Ayato.
- Face-Heel Turn
- Irony: His name means "to protect." After he's revealed to be a Jerkass, he does nothing that supports his name. In contrast, one of the most uttered lines from Ayato is that "he wants to protect" something.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Most notable in the first few episodes. In truth, however, he's really just a...
- Jerk Ass: He's quite a condescending bastard, especially to Ayato.
- Love Makes You Evil: Maybe. It seems that he only hates Ayato because the latter "stole" Hiroko's love from him. Things got even worse after he discovered that Ayato had killed Hiroko.
- Manipulative Bastard: He REALLY likes to plays off of Ayato's guilt.
- The Rival
- Those Two Guys: Subverted, as noted above.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: It's heavily implied in the last episode that he and Hiroko ended up marrying each other.
Hiroko AsahinaJapanese: Yumi Kakazu English: Cynthia Martinez
Mamoru's girlfriend and a friend of Ayato.
Kim HotalJapanese: Fumiko Orikasa English: Tiffany Grant
An extremely professional member of TERRA and friend of Megumi Shitow.
Megumi ShitowJapanese: Ayako Kawasumi English: Hilary Haag
Haruka's younger sister.
Ernst Von BähbemJapanese: Iemasa Kayumi English: Ted Pfister
The enigmatic director of the Bähbem Foundation. He harbors a special interest in ancient Mayan civilizations.
- Affably Evil: He is exceedingly well-spoke and polite
- Big Bad: He certainly gives off this air
- Dirty Old Man: He seems to enjoy touching the tattoo on Quon's belly far too much. It's even worse in the movie.
- For Science!: His ultimate motivation behind making the RahXephon.
- Grand Theft Me: His means of living so long.
- Immortality Immorality: When your method of choice involves seizing control of people you've raised since birth, it definitely counts.
- Really 700 Years Old: More like millennia.
- Smug Snake: Now you see where Isshki and Helena get it from!
- Wicked Cultured: He knows much about fine art and culture, particularly Nahatual cultures. Given that he lived through most of it, this shouldn't be surprising.
Japanese: Ichiko Hashimoto
English: Laura Chapman
She is Ayato's mother (or better said, his aunt)
, a confident and strong woman who wants only the best for her son.
Souchi YakumoJapanese: Kouki Miyata English: Mark Laskowski
The second-in-command of TERRA and an all around friendly guy. He's also Kim's boyfriend
Elvy HadhiyatJapanese: Yuu Sugimoto English: Christine M. Auten
Leader of TERRA's airforce and friend of Haruka.
Commander Jin KunuugiJapanese: George Nakata English: John Gremillion
The somber commander of TERRA's military operations. He buried Mulians under the cherry trees in his garden.
- The Atoner
- Bad Ass: This is joked about and hinted at throughout the series, until we finally get to see it for ourselves.
- Cynicism Catalyst: His harsh, businesslike attitude is apparently due to firing the bomb that killed his daughter.
- Heroic Sacrifice: And an absolutely badass one, at that.
- Memetic Badass: Invoked. Legend says he buried Mulians under the cherry trees in his garden, which is why the cherries that blossom from his trees are blue.
- Not So Stoic: The scene where he laughs when Ayato asks about the blue cherry blossoms is absolutely priceless.
- The Stoic
Commander WatariJapanese: Kenji Utsumi English: Mike Kleinhenz
The operations manager of TERRA.
RikudohJapanese: Chikao Ohtsuka English: John Swasey
Haruka and Megumi's Uncle and Maya's adoptive father
. Lives on Nirai Kanai island
Futagami/ JomanjiJapanese: Katsunosuke Hori English: Andy Mc Avin
A laid back, bumbling observer sent by Terra to placate the media.