The characters of the manga and anime series Heroman
open/close all folders
Joseph Carter "Joey" Jones
The Unlucky Everydude
protagonist and the Kid Hero With The Remote Control
- Alliterative Name
- Always Save the Girl: When it comes to his Love Interest Lina and his Cool Big Sis Holly.
- This bring a tiny bit of conflict in Episode 21, where Joey and Psy are led to believe that Lina's brother Will kidnapped Holly. On one hand, Joey admits that he would hurt anyone who hurts Holly, but Joey doesn't want to indirectly hurt Lina either.
- Badass Adorable
- Barrier Warrior: He comes up with uses for his energy shield that catch his less canny foes offguard.
- Bash Brothers: Joey and Kurou form a tag team during their duo battles in Arkham City, their friendship is one of the three-cross series friendships in Super Robot Wars UX.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Mess with him, he wont bat an eyelash. Mess with his family, friends, or giant robot, you won't know what hit you.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: "Heroman... Engage!"
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Disguised in Drag: Invoked when he (or rather, his older sister insists that) he needs to sneak into a hospital to talk to one of the patients. Interestingly enough, he didn't have to alter his appearance much; he just needed to put on a dress. Which leads us to...
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: He greatly admires his father and strives to be like him. Alas, genetics being the fickle bitch that it is, he favors his mother instead. Greatly favors. As in, looks exactly like her.
- Force Field
- The Hero
- Indy Ploy: A dab hand at on-the-fly improvisation and inventive use of his and Heroman's powers. Forget the Kamehame Hadokens and Force Fields - it's when he brings out the magnets that you should really be worried.
- Kid Hero
- Kid With The Remote Control
- Ordinary Middle School Student
- Parental Abandonment: Both through death. Joey idolized his father for being a hero.
- Right Hand of Doom: His bulky control gauntlet gives him this appearance. Not to mention it's red colored 'upgrade' in episode 26 that looks like Allen Walker's hand.
- Super Speed
- Taking You with Me: He attempts this against Kogorr. He's stopped seconds before he can go through with it, though.
- Took a Level in Badass: At the start of the series, he spends most of his time hiding behind his Robot Buddy. By twenty or so episodes in, it's the other way around.
- Unlucky Everydude
- Wrong Genre Savvy: The justification for his evading the government's attempts at capturing him and Heroman was that it was clear that the media was being manipulated into making them look like the bad guys, and the fear that he'd wind up as an experiment alongside Heroman. Agent Hughes scolds him for the latter, saying that it was a silly assumption.
Voiced by: Ryota Takeuchi
The titular character and Joey's Robot Buddy
who comes to life after getting hit by lightning.
Simon "Psy" Kaina
Joey's Handicapped Badass
Voiced by: Maya Obata
Resident cheerleader, Distressed Damsel
, and Joey's Love Interest
. She is the sister of Will.
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: A rare inversion: it's our cheerleader who really wants the average, "nerdy/loser" hero, much to her brother's chagrin — Lina is more to take the initiative on her feelings, while Joey's a bit more subtle and reserved about it.
- The Cheerleader: Averted. Lina may be a cheerleader in name, but she is certainly no Brainless Beauty or Alpha Bitch.
- The Chick
- Conflicting Loyalty: Develops this when she grows torn between heeding Will's warning to stay away from Joey. That, along with Joey lying to her about seeing Will again, only settled her doubt in him.
- Distressed Damsel: she was this even when she was only a child
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs
- Hair Decorations
- Girl Next Door
- I Know You're In There Somewhere Fight: The gang — but especially Lina — towards Will and Nick.
- Limited Wardrobe: Only ever seen in her cheer leading outfit or a swimsuit.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Constantly. She is very miffed by this.
- Love Hurts
- Magic Skirt: Very brief panty shot during her introduction in the manga, but played straight in the anime where we never get a single panty shot. She gets several more in volume two of the manga, later on along with most of the rest of the cheerleading squad.
- Moment Killer: Goes through great lengths of this in Episode 10.
- Morality Pet: To Will.
- Plucky Girl
- Tag Along Kid: Insists on following Joey and friends into the city during the Center City invasion arc, despite being the only one to not join in the fight against the leader of the Skrugg. This fact allows her to avoid becoming The Load, however.
- The Pollyanna
- The Power of Love: Being Will's Morality Pet, Lina is able to break Will's Skrugg-infested brainwashing numerous times.
- Rebellious Princess: Not technically a princess, but she's the closest thing we've got to one.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man
- Spoiled Sweet
- Uptown Girl: Which is why Lina's Overprotective Dad wants Lina to stay away from Joey — that, and it's implied that Will told their father about Joey.
- Victorious Childhood Friend
Matthew "Professor" Denton
The science teacher at Joey's school whose successful contact with aliens led to the Skrugg attack on Central City.
Holly Virginia Jones
Joey's ladette-ish older sister
who returns to Central City following the Skrugg invasion.
Virginia "Grandma" Jones
Voiced by: Sumie Sakai
Brian Carter Jones
Joey's deceased father.
Catherine Mae Jones
Joey's deceased mother.
Center City residents
William "Will" Davis
Voiced by: Makoto Yasumura
and Lina's protective older brother who gets turned into a Skrugg.
- Anti-Hero Substitute: After his return in Episode 19, he has Skruggified versions of most of Heroman's powers, all the way up to wall-crawling and the Face Palm of Doom, as well as a thoroughly uncompromising attitude.
- Badass Longcoat
- Big Brother Instinct: Seems to be the main reason he doesn't like Joey.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Or easily manipulated by the Skrugg.
- Body Horror
- Brainwashed and Crazy
- Break the Haughty: Dear Lord. Not only does he pretty much lose everything he's ever had in a moment of jealous spite, but all the power he's gained hasn't prevented the Skrugg from doing one damned thing.
- The Bully: To Joey.
- Expy: Of Flash Thompson.
- Venom later on.
- Interestingly enough, Flash Thompson became Venom less than a year after Will got his power. Coincidence?
- Green-Eyed Monster: He was driven to infiltrate the Skrugg Base because he became jealous of Joey's new power. That doesn't go well for him.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Jerk Jock -> Brainwashed and Crazy -> Sixth Ranger -> Well-Intentioned Extremist -> Anti-Hero.
- Hidden Depths: Yes, he bullies Joey for seemingly no reason, And That's Terrible. But at the same time, he truly does bear sincere love for his sister, and really only wants to protect her and be her hero. He is also revealed to have a strong sense of the responsibility when he stepped down as Captain of the football team, not considering himself worthy after he indirectly caused Psy's disability.
- Jerk Jock -> Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: He doesn't want Joey anywhere near Lina, even after he's exiled from his house on account of being an alien hybrid.
- Nice Hat: Goes with the Badass Longcoat.
- Refused by the Call: He likes to insist that he's the hero. In the manga he attempts to prove himself both by assaulting the Skrugg three separate times and fails each time before learning his lesson. In the anime he fails only once and winds up getting kidnapped and brainwashed by the Skrugg as a result.
- Rival Turned Evil: Well, not evil, per se, just a bit...extreme.
- Sixth Ranger
- Took a Level in Badass
- Walking Spoiler
- Was Once a Man
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We never saw if he survived the final battle.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Is pretty much the king of this on this show.
Nicholas "Nick" de Carlo
Voiced by: Akio Suyama
Will's Cowardly Sidekick who also gets turned into a Skrugg.
who teaches math at Joey's school.
Voiced by: Atsushi Li
He wants coffee.
A member of the NIA sent to Central City to gain information on Heroman.
Voiced by: Bin Sasaki
The President of the United States.
An aide to the president.
- Ridiculously Average Guy: He looks just like a generic politician.
- Smug Snake: He is the one who was putting pressure on President to do "something" about Heroman. And he also without knowledge of the President ordered research on Koggor's eye, what didn't end well.
- Evil Chancellor: Subverted, despite being clearly a Smug Snake he warns President about Skrugg attack and escapes with him to the bunker.
The leader of the Skrugg and the resident Big Bad
An Evil Genius
with connections to the White House and the military.
Amanorich and Stallion
Those Two Guys
who work for Dr. Minami.
Voiced by: Ryoko Gi
Dr. Minami's assistant.