open/close all folders
Hero 006Lin Chung is known by some as the most accomplished, most skilled warrior in all of Big Green. He possesses the legendary Panther Vision, which allows him to see great distances, or to see the world in slow motion while he moves with terrific speed. He wields a staff and occasionally shoots the tips of bamboo out at enemies. He is also somewhat obsessed with drawing, sometimes dropping out of battles just to draw when he finds inspiration, and he can't take criticism.
- Accidental Art: To his frustration, on the day he has no inspiration and people don't believe him when he says it was an accident.
- Badass Normal: In an organization where nearly everybody has their own mystical superpower by virtue of either being an animal or mystically inclined, All Lin Chung has is a bamboo spear and the skill to use it.
- Baleful Polymorph: he's nearly turned into a cheetah early on later in Animals Within, he voluntarily goes full cheetah.
- Empowered Badass Normal: From season two on.
- Funny Afro: Given to him by the Big Green Airforce. He even bobs his head to the music in the first episode where he gets it.
- Good Is Dumb: when it comes to his art, he will ignore everything if he's found something inspiring and wants to sketch, and will cause completely unnecessary conflict over his art obsession. He's even been poisoned at least once because he stopped to draw during combat.
- The Hero: As much as the First Squad would like to consider themselves equals (and, in lots of respects, they are) Lin Chung is most obviously the unquestioned leader. He's had he most creative ideas and solutions, and as an added bonus gets access to powers that counter the Bigger Bad villain's abilities.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: He accidentally created Twin Masters while stuck in the past by knocking his original form into lava with his powers.
- Terrible Artist: In the beginning, he is wretched when it came to his drawing skills, however in a clever move, the show actually shows him gradually getting better as he learns under Camel King and gains appropriate inspiration from his ventures in First Squad.
- Serious Business: His artwork, he CANNOT take criticism and goes into long vows of solitude when people tell him his art is terrible.
- Stylistic Suck: His first drawings, which nobody pointed out out of the fear he would go into solitude in depression.
- Supporting Leader: Is this to ApeTrully
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Appears to be this, key word being appears. While there is no denying that what he has an air of seniority about him and that the lessons he has learned stick with him, he still can make many mistakes and still is learning despite his skill, doubly so in the second season when he gains newfound powers, and becomes the student of the ghost of the local wise guy.
Hero 088Jumpy Ghostface is the king of the rabbits. He is a talented, straight-ahead fighter who dives head first into dangerous battles without flinching an ear. He joined Big Green after being defeated in a jump rope battle. His weapon of choice is a jump rope. He also uses carrots as weapons, either throwing them like shurikens or biting off the top and tossing them like grenades. He also has a habit of daydreaming, even in the heat of battle. Whenever someone looks into Jumpy's eyes when he's daydreaming, they end up in his daydream. He also has a habit of being soft around insects.
- Awesome Mc Coolname
- Badass Adorable.
- Barrier Warrior: Rabbits are so good at jumping rope, that they can create almost impregnable barriers that can potentially slice things that touch it. In addition to his carrots, this is his most often used ability.
- Defeat Means Friendship: The first episode sets up the premise of the show using him.
- Friend to Bugs: Butterflies, slugs, ants - this guy loves all living creatures and will always show them compassion. Even when they're Brainwashed and Crazy.
- Gass Hole: Rabbits have the ability to inflate and burp a noxious odor at their enemies However this was only shown in the first episode.
- The Lancer
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: many species of animals are this in this series; Jumpy is a Jump-rope playing rabbit ninja demolitions expert
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He is the rabbit king after all.
- Stock Ninja Weaponry: His Made of Explodium carrots art essentially explosive kunai.
Hero 103Mystique Sonia is a tough, seasoned warrior, but also a stereotypical girl. Her attack involves attacking and spinning her long tongue around to perform gusts of wind. She also has the seeds that she can spit on and grow into plants with cooked buns instead of flowers. Since she is cursed with a spell, anyone who tells her they love her three times in a row turns into a Yaksha as seen in "Liger Castle" and "Peacock Castle."Her companion, Yaksha, is a purple and pink, non-speaking creature which rests upon Mystique Sonia's head like a hat. A Yaksha is created when anybody tells Mystique Sonia that they love her three times in a row, and only as long as they are in love. It is also extremely flexible and stretchy, being shown to turn into a ball, a purse, a dress, a trampoline, a fan, and even extend its arms. It also occasionally sits on Mighty Ray's head whenever Mystique Sonia's incapacitated or when she's mad at him. It's almost completely different than the Yaksha in Hindu, Jain, and Buddhist mythology.
- Baleful Polymorph: She nearly gets turned into a parrot in one episode and is completely tuned into a swan voluntarily later in season two.
- Bash Brothers: Her relationship with Mighty Ray; it could also be a case of-
- Blessed with Suck: If anyone tells her they love her three times in a row, a curse on her will turn them into a Yaksha.
- The Chick
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Yaksha occasionally when Sonia finds interest in something else that's adorable, which makes sense when you consider its origins. Most of the time however, it's actually pretty chill about it.
- In-Name-Only: The Yaksha.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Towards Mighty Ray, pretty normal around everyone else however.
- Multipurpose Tongue: Unusually long and prehensile of course.
- Blow You Away: she often uses her tongue to do this to opponents, and it's been shown to lift all but the heaviest of opponents.
- An Ice Person: With a block of ice, though, mainly due to circumstance, it's rare.
- Diagonal Cut: Yes, with her tongue (but this was never shown again).
- Whip It Good: Yep, you guessed it: with her tongue.
- Blow You Away: she often uses her tongue to do this to opponents, and it's been shown to lift all but the heaviest of opponents.
- Nice Hat: The nicest hat ever, apart from the abilities mentioned earlier, Yaksha can be pulled over the head to make night-vision goggles and can even be used to dry and style hair.
- Perky Goth
- Rubber Man: Yaksha is this all the way to the point of also being a Shapeshifter Weapon. Sonia is also this somewhat, due to her tongue.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Sure she has a mean tongue and is willing to brawl and everything with the guys, but she loves adorable creatures and painting her fingernails just as much.
Hero 025Mighty Ray is the burly force of First Squad. He has the power to shoot bolts of powerful energy from his eyeballs. To re-charge his eyeballs, Mighty Ray must eat bananas, which he dislikes. His eyeballs are also removable. He likes to perform comedy acts under the name Mr. Comedy, even though these acts make everyone else want to gag as well. Even though his energy bolts are his main attack, he is quite formidable at close range with his bare hands. He is intensely jealous of Lin Chung being praised as the finest warrior in First Squad and jumps at chances to one-up him.
- Baleful Polymorph: Once when High Roller summoned two demons, he was nearly turned into an octopus and later he was turned into a boar to infiltrate High Roller's castle.
- Cannot Tell a Joke: Just loves to be a Pungeon Master when the mood strikes, with the appropriate response usually given in return. Sometimes the Joke falls flat because he picks less appropriate moments.
- Characterization Marches On: The earlier episodes tended to show his rivalry with Lin more obviously than in later ones, which the episode "Scorpion Castle" eventually fully addresses. However he phased out of it fairly quick, and listens to Lin Chung without much question as the series went on.
- Bash Brothers: with Mystique Sonia if it isn't also/or Belligerent Sexual Tension
- He's also this with Crocodile King, as they have pissing contests when they have arguments.
- The Big Guy
- Blind Without 'Em: A rather odd example, since his eyes are removable. This, however, can be used to an advantage as he can still shoot his energy bolts even if they're not in his head. Later on, he gains the ability to see through them no matter where they are.
- Eye Beams
- Eye Scream: His original eyes were turned to stone by the Zebras, when High Roller took over East Citadel.
- Catchphrase: "I am Mighty Ray! Fear my eyeballs!"
- Cursed with Awesome: His eyes may be his most powerful ability, but he hates eating the bananas which power them, and can lose them if he isn't careful.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He can be obnoxious, loud, childish, and downright rude, but it doesn't take a lot to see that he has a good heart under it all.
- Magical Defibrillator: Uses his eyeballs like this at one point to revive the Elephant King, which in turn earns his friendship.
- Mundane Utility: Besides using his powers as a light source, he can also make fireworks.
- One-Man Army: Nearly took down High Roller all by himself, but was forced to flee after overcharging his eyes.
- Shock and Awe
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Sort of, out of any animal, he distrusts Koalas the most because the strongest of their kingdom beat him in a wrestling contest he was otherwise winning.
Hero 001Commander ApeTrully is the eccentric, well-meaning leader of Big Green. Commander ApeTrully formed Big Green in hopes of restoring friendship between animals and humans. He is revealed to be the king of the monkeys (the 33rd monkey king) in disguise as he was the first to see through High Roller's lies.
- Actual Pacifist: No matter how terribly evil someone might seem, he'll always try to negotiate through the problem first before resorting to more violent measures. The only thing he's never negotiated at all with is Twin Masters.
- Compressed Vice: You'll notice he has a gambling problem, as seen in "Crocodile Castle".
- Big Good
- Butt Monkey: If there's any kind of punishment the animal kings can bestow, you better believe he'll be at the receiving end of it, it's a wonder his disguise hasn't been broken by all the abuse.
- Cry Cute: There's been only two times that he's cried in the series, and that was when Camel King ''whipped him in the back of the head with his tail'' for not standing still as an art model. The poor guy's tears really make it looks like it hurt him on an emotional level as well.
- Decoy Protagonist: True he's the boss of Big Green, but notice how usually his top team are the ones that solve the problems and ultimately persuade animals to join them.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: He's actually the Monkey King in disguise.
- Hypocrite: He's all about bringing peace between Animals and Humans, but doesn't seem to trust anyone in Big Green enough to reveal his secret to, believing they are not ready to have an animal as a leader. Surprisingly, this is rather justified because of how surprisingly complicated the situation is. Humans and animals are on different sides at the moment, so it looks good to have a human (the side High Roller is spreading lies about) trying to organize like-minded humans and make peace with the animals instead of out-right attacking them and being bigoted. If everyone were to find out the delicate situation revolving around and built by this ruse and simultaneous trust could crumble apart.
- Informed Attribute: At first, his skills at negotiation were this. Early on, he had a certain Genre Blindness and failed at convincing the animal Kings to join Big Green because he offered them something that animals generally hold no value in: gold. Later seasons would give him far better abilities, with more of his reasoning speeches working on some Kings, and keeping peace between already existing relations by paying respect and such.
- Punny Name: Commander Ape-Trully.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: in his human costume.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Considering how so many other animal authorities easily buy into High Roller's baseless lies about humans, it is surprising only one stopped to think about it, and subsequently , became the go-to character for species relations.
- Uncle Pennybags: He gives gold to every animal kingdom he tries to win over.
Woo the Wise
Hero 003Woo the Wise is an inventor who was the first person that was convinced to join Big Green. At some points, his robe tends to rise up. He wears a fake mustache to make himself look older. In a flashback, he was a former classmate of High Roller. In "Pitched Battle of the Air Force," Woo the Wise invented a special crystal that can reassemble three animals into one creature which he did when he merged two Hens, Snake King, Crocodile King, and Deer King into a Chimeric Dragon to fight High Roller's fake Black Dragon.
- Absent-Minded Professor
- Badass Moustache: It's a fake he glues on to convince others that he's more experienced than he really is.
- Beneath the Mask: Whenever he claims to have some brilliant plan we are treated to a nice little thought bubble of him despairing his ignorance.
- Bunnyears Lawyer: True he may not be as immediately smart as he paints himself, but the ways he's able to utilize animal abilities is undeniably clever, and he's invented the various mechanisms around the HQ. His main problems are actually immediate knowledge and not knowing when to say he doesn't know anything.
- Bungling Inventor: to say some of designs are flawed is understating it, but to his credit, most of them work flawlessly.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: to be fair, he knows about most of what he's being told, it's just people automatically assume that he's wise and put him on the spot for solutions and info.
- Large Ham: When he yells, such as "DON'T LOOK AT MY TUMMY!!!"
- Wardrobe Malfunction: His robe is actually some sort of stiff cone that will occasionally pop up to reveal his red speedo-like underwear. He's flustered whenever it happens.
- Younger Than They Look: Invoked. He's actually as young as High Roller (attended the same classes even!), and he disguises himself to appear older and wiser than it would seem.
Mr. No Hands
Hero 020Mr. No Hands is the military leader of Big Green's First Squad. The tassel of his hat spins like a helicopter allowing him to fly. He keeps himself in a stockade because he can’t stop tickling himself, hence the name.
- Berserk Button: He doesn't take kindly to other divisions trying to sway his squad-mates / students, and hates it when someone badmouths the team as well.
- Catchphrase: (In the first season at least) "Commander Ape-Trully's in trouble! First Squad, deploy!"
- Decoy Protagonist: He may be the leader of First Squad, but Lin Chung is the main focus.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: He doesn't get as much focus in about the second half of season one, and for a few episodes of season two. However he doesn't disappear entirely, training his team, and going out on more than a few missions.
- Da Chief
- The Smart Guy: He's the teacher of First squad essentially, so it's a given.
Alpha GirlLeader of the rival Second Squad, who takes the appearance of a Japanese oni, Club and all. She's desperate to prove her squad is superior to First Squad.
- Action Girl
- Carry a Big Stick
- Cute Little Fangs
- Jerkass Has a Point: For all her hostility to First Squad, she's kind of right when she points out that they aren't perfect and can become full of themselves, it's just that usually isn't happening in the episodes when her team is the focus.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: As hot-headed as she can be, she still works towards the same goals as the rest of Big Green and wishes for peace between the humans and animal, it's just that sometimes her flaws make her forget this.
- Ship Tease: A very small amount in the final moments of Second to None with Lin Chung.
Kow LoonA Kung Fu practitioner who acts as Alpha Girl's second in command.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy
- Foil: Is this with Lin Chung to some degree, While Alpha Girl rivals him as leader, Kow Loon is also a Badass Normal with a somewhat dishonorable and arrogant personality to counter Lin's Humble and Honorable traits.
- Walking Shirtless Scene
Lady GreenThe commander of Big Green's naval force.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Has one in Mighty Ray, though it mostly fades as they work when he helps her combat underwater threats.
- Action Girl
- Collapsible Helmet: Her diving helmet.
- Dual Wielding
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: Unlike most examples, she is just as competent on land, as she is in the water.
Hero 000The primary antagonist of the series. As the new Emperor of the East Citadel, High Roller gets to do whatever he wants and what he typically wants to do is attack humans (or get animals to attack humans for him), eat candy, read comic books, and play games. A flashback revealed that he was a classmate of Woo the Wise.
- Adorable Evil Minions: Some of the animals.
- Beware the Silly Ones: There is a reason he was able to take over in the first place, after all. In addition to devising many clever ploys against First Squad, he's a strong folk game fighter, and utilizes several animal fusions with great cunning and is able to win just as much as he loses, If it wasn't for his somewhat honorable nature, he would have killed and/or imprisoned First Squad several times over.
- Big Bad
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Despite normally appearing as a childish brat, when High Roller actually tries, he can kick butt. Case in point, in Firework Festival at the East Citadel he decides to kill Mighty Ray for being better than him at Fireworks (though he intended to kill the winner anyway if it wasn't him), but instead of sicking his minions on them, he combines with Bear King and proceeds to beat the stuffing out of all of First Squad without even trying.
- The Emperor
- Evil Overlord
- Fusion Dance: He's able to combine with Bear King and use his body as his own. Surprisingly, this proves to be extremely effective.
- He also combines several other animals to serve his plans and traps over the series.
- I Gave My Word: Despite playing dirty in most everything, he won't go back on a deal he made and has let his prisoners go on several occasions.
- One-Winged Angel: In "High Roller Hydra" her was able to utilize a magical artifact to transform into the nightmarish title monster, which was able to go toe-to-toe with Twin Masters. Said transformation apparently involves His organs and muscles forming tendrils, and his Skull becoming gargantuan to accommodate the worm-like heads and tails sprouting out.
- The Starscream: To Twin Masters.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Twin Masters tells him this after going One-Winged Angel in the finale.
Heroes 062 and 063Two zebra twins that serve High Roller. Sparky Black is a black zebra with white stripes and Sparky White is a white zebra with black stripes. In almost all episodes, they are usually the ones who incite the animals to oppress the humans. In most cases, they stay out of fights between First Squad and the animals. However, once a month when the moon is full, they use their most powerful weapons called the Ghost Lanterns. The Ghost Lanterns are paper lanterns on sticks that gives the Zebra Brothers supernatural powers ranging from merging together to form a giant version of themselves, creating an army of zebra clones, create zebra-type mosquitoes, or getting their victims to face their biggest fears.
- Adorable Evil Minions
- Airborne Mook: one of their powers under a full moon is to combine and become a Giant bladed, airborne zebra that can throw storm clouds.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: They're normally complete idiots, but on the night of the full moon, they get a major power boost thanks to their Ghost Lanterns and quickly turn to a major threat.
- They are also as good as High Roller in tricking animals, and have managed to complete several missions when First Squad isn't around.
- Fantastic Slurs: They hate other animals who join Big Green and call them "animal traitors".
- Goldfish Poop Gang: with Bearstomp they form a Terrible Trio
- Heel–Face Turn: They become allies with Big Green in the last episode after Twin Masters makes it clear that he'll kill them too. They go back to High Roller, but it can be assumed that they're on friendlier terms with First Squad afterwards, along with Bearstomp
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: They're High Roller's main minions, but most of time aren't very good at fighting.
- Those Two Bad Guys
BearstompHero 052The Bear King and The Dragon of High Roller, Bearstomp was mainly just in background at first, but he gained more appearances. While the Zebras are the ones who do field work, Bearstomp acts as an immediate bodyguard.
- Bears are Bad News: He's with High Roller after all. From High Roller's point of view though, he's pretty awesome and has many great abilities.
- Berserk Button: In The Gladiators He immediately turns back to help First Squad fight after Lin Chung orders them to let the weaker Gladiators through to the exit.
- The Brute and The Dragon
- Enemy Mine: In The Gladiators he teams up with First Squad to escape the Minotaur's lair, and while he goes back to working for High Roller, it foreshadows a Heel–Face Turn.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: an evil version, He immediately smells out the fact that three mysterious new animals are actually infiltrating Big Green agents transformed.
- Heel–Face Turn: Officially joins Big Green in the last episode, becoming the fifty second hero.
- Hyper-Competent Sidekick: Compared to the Zebras, hell yes, however he's heavily outclassed by other Animal Kings without High Rollers plans to direct him.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: A Cyborg Bear General
Twin MastersAn ancient evil entity that takes the form of an energy colossus with a red and blue side. He (or rather, They) wish to spread chaos in any form by transforming wildlife and causing disasters.
- Bigger Bad
- Eldritch Abomination
- Knight of Cerebus: These guys are not comical villains. Everything they do is for the sake of chaos.
- Large and in Charge
- Omnicidal Maniac
- One-Winged Angel: He gets this in the Grand Finale
- Orcus on His Throne: Averted. They frequently see their plans carried out personally, and fights the heroes whenever he can.