Characters: Avenue Q
open/close all folders
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Hence, the aptly titled number 'Purpose.'
- The Hero
- Master of the Mixed Message
- Na´ve Newcomer
- Nice Guy
- Adorkable: Probably moreso than Princeton!
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Lucy's Veronica.
- The Chick
- Cute Monster Girl: Literally!
- Cool Teacher: Really wants to be this.
- Generic Cuteness
- Girl Next Door
- Politically Motivated Teacher: Played positively, and seen entirely outside of the classroom, too. Kate fiercely opposes racism against Monsters, and her biggest dream is to someday open up a Monsters-only school.
- Species Surname
- Expy: Of Ernie.
- Heterosexual Life Partner: With Rod. Emphasis on the fact that "partner" is singular.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Stated during the "If You Were Gay" number.
- Not-So Fantastic Racism: Possibly. "Happiness at the misfortune of others? That is German."
- Not That There's Anything Wrong with That
- Red Oni: To Rod's Blue Oni.
- Those Two Guys: He played this role alongside Rod.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: He's blue. Even though he's a republican.
- Berserk Button: Being accused of being gay.
- Coming-Out Story
- Expy: Of Bert.
- Fiery Redhead: Subverted.
- Gay Conservative: He's a Republican investment banker. Who just happens to enjoy Broadway Musicals of the 1940's.
- Girlfriend in Canada: Trope Namer.
- Blue Oni: To Nicky's Red Oni.
- Transparent Closet
- Straight Gay: He is into musicals, though.
- A Date with Rosie Palms
- Catch Phrase: "...for porn!"
- Chekhov's Gun: His savings help Kate build her school for monsters.
- Eleventh Hour Ranger: Considering the lateness at which he assists the group...
- Expy: Of Cookie Monster.
- With some Oscar the Grouch thrown in as well, considering his personality.
- Fiery Pinkhead
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Although he's a solo performer.
- Nonindicative Name: He's obsessed with porn, not Star Trek.
- Species Surname
- The Internet Is for Porn: Duh.
Lucy the Slut
- Back from the Dead: With her virginity intact, too.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Kate's Betty.
- Buxom Is Better
- God Is Good: Apparently, He revived her as a chaste woman. It's all Played for Laughs, natch.
- Laser-Guided Karma: After being the Spanner in the Works (see below) she ends up being hit by the penny Kate drops off the Empire State Building and put in the hospital, eventually dying (temporarily). Lampshaded by Kate, who first feels horrible for having dropped the penny, then once she realizes Lucy's spanner role: "I feel better now."
- Meaningful Name
- Ms. Fanservice
- My Girl Is a Slut: Well, duh.
- Really Gets Around
- Spanner in the Works: For Princeton and Kate's relationship since she throws away the latter's note about meeting at the Empire State Building.
- The Vamp: Especially to Princeton.
- Card Carrying Bitch: She seems rather proud of being a "crabby old bitch"."Crabby Old Bitches are the bedrock of this nation!"
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Well, she was willing to let Kate teach her own session...
- Meaningful Name: Thistletwat. She's a rather unlikeable person.
- Sadist Teacher
The Bad Idea Bears
- Bears Are Bad News: Not large and threatening as most examples, but very destructive.
- Evil Mentors: They suggest that Princeton gets drunk and then commits suicide. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
- For the Evulz
- Heel-Faith Turn: Subverted. They do find religion in the end (specifically the Church of Happyology) but there's no indication that they're actually going to make a legitimate Heel-Face Turn.
- Genki Girl: The yellow bear.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Don't believe a word of it. They're both pretty much the closest thing the show has to Chaotic Evil characters.
- Jerks With Hearts Of Jerk
- Manipulative Bastards
- Poisonous Friends
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: In this partnership, the blue bear tends to come up with the suggestions while the yellow one tries to enforce them more enthusiastically.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: The guy is blue, the girl is yellow.
- Those Two Bad Guys
- Token Evil Teammates
- Deadpan Snarker: Sometimes.
- Henpecked Husband: He doesn't seem to mind, though.
- The Lancer
- Nice Guy
- Official Couple: With Christmas Eve.
- So Unfunny He's Funny: More or less the entire point of his character. GET A JOB!
- Interchangeable Asian Cultures: Averted. Being Japanese is why she can't get a job in a Korean deli (Chinese restaurant in the UK West End version).
- Innocently Insensitive: When Rod talks to her about his friend who's gay, she says there's nothing wrong with it until Rod says the friend is also a conservative at which point she says they should just stay in the closet.
- Japanese Ranguage: Not extremely, but it's always there. Don't worry, though; Everyone's A Rittle Bit Lacist.
- The Obi-Wan: For Kate Monster, when it comes to relationship advice.
- Official Couple: With Brian.
- The Smart Girl
- Tsundere Type A!
- The Big Guy : Metaphorically.
- Butt Monkey: Very much. The song "It Sucks to be Me," the characters sing about how their lives are so much worse than everyone else's . . . until Gary pops in. Then everyone cheerfully agrees that he wins the Misery Poker.It sucks to be you!You win!It sucks to be you!
- Catchphrase: Deconstructed, as he's more or less grown resentful of it.
- Crosscast Role: It is a tradition to have Gary be played by a woman. Subverted in the UK version, where he's more often than not played by a man.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Mr Fix It
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: A notable aversion.