A list of the characters from the manga and anime Amatsuki
by Shinobu Takayama.
This article is in the progress of being written due to there being Loads and Loads of Characters
. Any contributions are more than welcome.*Spoilers* up ahead!
open/close all folders
Tokidoki "Toki" Rikugou
- Badass Normal: Has no special powers, yet is the best hand-to-hand fighter so far.
- Big Brother Mentor: Explicitly refers to himself as Toki's mentor early on in the manga, and the two sometimes behave in a brotherly fashion.
- Breaking Speech: Also gets one from the mermaid demon claiming his heart is empty and his existence meaningless.
- This is because the Kon she was talking to wasn't actually Kon at all, but his doppelgänger.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Probably would be one of the smartest characters in the series, if only he'd make a little more effort...
- Deadpan Snarker: Pretty much every line he says is dripping with sarcasm.
- Expository Hair Style Change: While he was in Amatsuki, his hair grew out and turned black, both to show the passage of time and to help him fit in.
- Fake Memories: Teiten takes away the memories of his world and Toki and replaces them. It gets more complicated later on when he cannot tell the difference between what is real and what is fake.
- First Name Basis: After his memory loss he asks Toki to call him Kon rather than Shinonome, as in the Edo period only samurai had last names. Toki seems to struggle with this.
- Gadgeteer Genius: By Feudal Japanese standards anyway.
- Genre Savvy: So genre savvy he endangers the fourth wall several times.
- Handicapped Badass: Manages to stop Tsuruume's spear thrust with one arm, and simultaneously ward off the Inugami with the other.
- He Knows Too Much: After finding out the truth about Ginshu, he's knocked out to prevent him informing the others. This ends up costing his memories following the reset.
- Japanese Delinquents: He's well known for skipping school and being violent. Even in Amatsuki, he's still viewed as a delinquent by the police.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Kon is rude to everybody, starts fights, and practices both blackmail and arson, yet he does display genuine devotion to his friends, and Toki and Kuchiha enjoy his company despite the former calling him "no fun".
- The Lancer and The Smart Guy
- Men Can't Keep House: His apartment is so messy that Toki seems to feel an urge to set fire to it.
- Missed the Call: Originally possessed the power of the Unwritten Page, however Teiten found out and wrote him into Heaven's Net before he could use it.
- Mr. Exposition: Tends to do an awful lot of expositing, though it's justified because someone needs to explain what's going on to Toki. Lampshaded with 'Shinonome-sensei's Fun Corner!' where Kon randomly pops up during a fight scene to explain to the readers how a matchlock gun works.
- Mr. Fanservice: Primary source of fanservice in the series. Heck, just look at the picture. He's practically doing a strip tease.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: His appearances in the modern world during later chapters suggest he may know more than he lets on about his and Toki's circumstances.
- Oral Fixation: Always seems to have something in his mouth. In the real world he sucked lollipops, in Amatsuki he usually smokes a pipe. Other appearances have had him chewing on rice crackers, toothpicks, paintbrushes, computer wires, and Toki's eyepatch.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Or at least we think he is...
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Kon and Toki are the same age in the present day, however since Kon arrived in Amatsuki before Toki, he is now two years older.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Dons them occasionally on colour spreads.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue oni - cool, logical, serious when needed - to Toki's hyperactive red oni.
- Scars Are Forever: His right arm is paralysed and badly scarred from when he was attacked by the Nue.
- Slipknot Ponytail
- Smoking Is Cool: In Amatsuki he's rarely seen without his pipe when relaxing.
- Spirited Competitor: He deliberately and enthusiastically gets involved in fights whatever the reason. In fact this is mainly why he met Toki and wound up in Amatsuki in the first place.
- Straight Man: When the situation gets serious, trust Kon to act the most mature out of his friends.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Kon's the tallest, darkest and manliest guy in the cast.
- Team Chef: The only character who has any sort of cooking ability whatsoever. He also threatens to stop feeding Toki and Kuchiha if they annoy him.
- Teen Genius: More recent chapters reveal he's actually some sort of genius hacker in the present day.
- Throwing Off the Disability: After the reset the feeling in his arm is restored.
- Trash Talk
- Use Your Head: In Heihachi's introduction, Kon nearly knocks him out with a well timed headbutt.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Heihachi, whom he constantly beats up and exploits, and Kuchiha, whom he teases but shows concern for.
- Aloof Big Brother: Has moments when he acts like this to Tsuyukusa, treating him with disdain while effortlessly outstripping his junior.
- Anti-Hero/Anti-Villain: Constantly sways between the two, though it's implied he'd be the former if he could openly defy Teiten.
- Beauty Mark: It's underneath his eye. And apparently magic.
- Bishounen: Thanks to Art Evolution he somehow manages to get prettier and prettier.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Bon was a horrible child. Seriously, his current attitude is miles better in comparison.
- Coat Cape: Wears his haori this way, or tied at the waist.
- Creating Life: One of his powers as a member of Heaven's Seat. He created Utsubushi and resurrected Ginshu's soul in Byakuroku's body.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Shares this with Ginshu and Tsuyukusa.
- Detached Sleeves
- Does Not Like Shoes: If he did, how would we see his awesome green toenail polish?
- Embarrassing First Name: Before ascending to Heaven's Seat, he was known as "Hiwa" which is the name of a bird. He inexplicably hates it, possibly because it reminds him of Byakuroku.
- Glamour Failure: When his hands revert to the bird-like claws he had as a child.
- Heavy Sleeper: Justified as using his powers completely drains him of energy. He's also Not a Morning Person.
- He Knows Too Much: Ginshu states that this is the reason he was forsaken by Heaven.
- I Have the High Ground: Likes doing this. He's a tengu after all. Or, it might be a way of asserting his authority over "inferior" human characters.
- Interspecies Romance: With Ginshu, though he would never admit to it.
- Jerk Ass: Possibly the biggest jerk of all.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Usually in a ponytail, though later in the manga he tends to wear it down more often.
- Mr. Exposition: Has taken it upon himself to explain most of the plot so far, but retains a certain air of mystery (which only adds to the Mind Screw).
- Mr. Fanservice: The author knew damn well he would rope in the fangirls...
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: If anything interesting is going on, expect him to be there and to provide a running commentary.
- Noble Demon: He does his fair share of good deeds, particularly in saving Tsuyukusa from the Yakou and helping Toki after the Cosmic Retcon.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He has a lot of information about the real world, and Ainezu implies he may be the only one who knows exactly what's going on.
- Perpetual Molt: You can tell he's about when feathers start filling the air... or coming out of Toki's eyes.
- Physical God: One of the most powerful beings, second only to Teiten.
- Power Tattoo: Appears over his left eye (the same as Toki) whenever he uses his powers.
- Rage Against the Heavens: Since Teiten pretty much wrecked his life, Bonten wants to return the favour by overthrowing him and putting Toki in his place.
- Screw Destiny: Wishes to escape Heaven's Net so he can have a future he cannot predict.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: His shirt is backless and he tends to show it off.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Often complains about the stupidity of everyone else, while drawing attention to how he comes up with all the plans.
- Tall, Blond And Snarky
- Winged Humanoid: Comes with being a tengu. He can apparently manifest them at will.
- Bratty Half-Pint: He was even worse as a kid than he is now.
- Break the Cutie: Blamed himself for Byakuroku's death (it was revenge for some miko shooting Tsuyukusa), nearly going insane with grief in the process.
- Clothing Damage: During the incident at Nihonbashi.
- The Comically Serious
- Crash-Into Hello: Falls out of a tree and lands right on top of Heihachi.
- Dark and Troubled Past: And he's finding it harder to move on than the others.
- Does Not Like Shoes
- Defrosting Ice King: Particularly toward Toki, whom he hates at first but grows protective of later on.
- Friend to All Living Things: Tsuyukusa won't hesitate to help plants or demons. Humans, however...
- Grumpy Bear: Usually Played for Laughs when he reacts to everything with either extreme cynicism or by flying into a rage. He's improving.
- Humanity Ensues: Prefers to stay in human form, which is more practical, but requires a special seal to stop him fading away.
Tsuyukusa (to Heihachi): "You're slow, stupid, oblivious, and you talk too much. You have no personal awareness. You'll probably end up dead at the side of a road somewhere. Want me to go on?"
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Despite his slender body Tsuyukusa is unbelievably strong. Kuchiha was terrified just by the power of his presence.
- Nature Spirit: Remember the kodama tree guardians from Princess Mononoke? Yeah, he's one of those.
- Not Good with People: Not good with humans at least. Again, he's improving.
- Odd Friendship: First Heihachi, then Toki, and then Beni.
- Outdated Outfit: One of the few things Heihachi thought odd when they met was Tsuyukusa's ancient fashion sense.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's the red oni to Bonten's blue - outspoken, passionate, hotheaded and violent, things which the more calm and collected Bonten berates him for and denounces as childish.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Against the humans who cut down the old camphor tree.
- Simple Staff: Shaped like a monk's khakkhara.
- Sleep Mode Size: After his tree is destroyed, he reverts to his juvenile form.
- Traumatic Haircut: When they were young Bonten got annoyed by Tsuyukusa's long bushy hair, so he ripped a huge chunk of it off.
- Troubled, but Cute: Behind his abrasive exterior he's very disturbed, full of hatred and fear, and vulnerable. It's hard not to sympathise with him. Even when he kills people.
- Tsundere: Possibly the best example in the whole cast, despite being male. He's a complete jerk to Heihachi but saves him twice, and yells at Toki if he gets too close while blushing furiously.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Changes outfits much more regularly than anyone else does. Recently he's been employing Sleeves Are for Wimps a lot.
- When He Smiles
- You Gotta Have Green Hair: He's a tree, what do you expect?
- Battle Butler: He does more butler-type duties than fighting, but will protect Bon when necessary.
- The Big Guy: The brawniest of the group, and the tallest member of the cast so far.
- Butt Monkey: Bonten doesn't appreciate Utsubushi at all (in fact he frequently attacks him), and his head seems to be a magnet for flying objects.
- The Cassandra: He often tries to warn Bon and Tsuyukusa not to be too reckless. They never listen. And he's usually right.
- Cool Mask: In that the mask is his actual face.
- Identical Stranger: His human form looks like Hashita, which opens up all sorts of questions...
- Minion with an F in Evil: He's nice to friend and foe alike, and unlike Tsuyukusa he's never seen deliberately harming anyone.
- Taking the Bullet: Protecting Toki from the Yakou's mirrors. He survives, but changes appearance drastically.
- Bloody Murder: His/her blood is poisonous to demons, and ultimately caused Byakuroku's death.
- Body Horror: The curse causes his/her skin to develop scales, which is apparently extremely painful.
- Creepy Doll: The soul-puppet is pretty creepy with its odd, jerky movements and its high pitched voice.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Oh dear, where do we start? Let's just say they based a whole volume on this...
- Dead Person Conversation: Turns up a couple of times to give Toki advice and share some memories.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Was apparently male before taking his place as Ginshu. He certainly didn't look it though.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Destined to wither, die and be reborn again every day for the rest of eternity. No wonder they call it a curse.
- High Priestess: Referred to as the Holy Princess. More of a figurehead for the shrine since the curse limits his/her powers.
- Killed Off for Real: Apparently so. However, given Toki's determination to fix this and the nature of the death, coming Back from the Dead is still a possibility.
- Meaningful Name: Ginshu means "silver crimson", and is a fake version of the colour shinshu, or "true crimson". Ginshu is the fake holy priestess, chosen to protect the true priestess, Shinshu. Are we seeing the link here?
- No Biological Sex: Technically, though Ginshu used to be male and is now referred to as female.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: As it turns out, Ginshu was the one who put the whole plan into action. We only find out their reason during flashbacks.
- Our Souls Are Different: What's with the butterflies?
- Parental Abandonment: Orphaned at a young age, but was raised by a kind old woman.
- Pronoun Trouble: In Japanese, it's possible to skirt around gender quite easily in conversation. In English, not so much.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Replacement Goldfish: The Ginshus. All 26 of them. Every time a Ginshu dies, they are quickly replaced with another to take care of Shinshu.
- Screw Destiny: Believes strongly in this, and even tries to use Toki to change destiny.
- Taking You with Me: Allowed Byakuroku to strike him/her in order to make sure he would ingest Ginshu's blood and die.
- Unwanted Revival: Not only did Bonten bring him back and sentence him to a Fate Worse Than Death, the Yakou stole his/her corpse and used it to manipulate Shinshu. Jeez, give them a break for once...
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: With a curse like that, who can blame them? Though they actually goes ahead and does something about it.
- Archer Archetype: Subverted. She's good at archery, but lets her feelings get in the way of her aim.
- Beautiful All Along: Toki and Kon take notice when she dresses in a feminine kimono.
- Break the Cutie: After the person she loves most is killed off and replaced by someone else, she's the only one who remembers the real Ginshu, and she is assumed crazy and thrown in jail, where she goes half mad worrying and fighting with her emotions.
- Does Not Like Men: Possibly justified, as she's grown up surrounded mostly by women.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Because she's so strict and can't take a joke, virtually anything sets her off, although getting in her way or associating with demons seem to be prominent. And Kon. Everything about Kon.
- Miko: Complete with traditional outfit and Paper Talismans.
- The Power of Love: As Toki points out, it was her love for Ginshu that made her memories return after Ginshu was erased.
- Tomboyish Sidetails
- Tsundere: Tsuruume adores Ginshu, but berates them because she cares so much. The other boys (particularly Kon) frequently feel her rage, but she gets embarrassed when they compliment her.
The Divination Bureau
- Affably Evil: He's very charismatic and polite to everyone, but it doesn't make him any less sinister.
- Eyes Always Shut: And it's a bit disturbing when he opens them.
- Eye Scream: They were gouged out to grant him the ability to see demons. By his own hand.
- Government Conspiracy: The whole connection between the Shogunate and Sakagami Shrine.
- Manipulative Bastard: Tries to blackmail Tokidoki into working for him by keeping his friends hostage, and apparently got his power in the government the same way.
- Pet the Dog: Offering to marry Benitobi after she is possessed by a demon mask and taken away by the bureau.
- Shotacon: Seems to enjoy creeping Toki out with his advances.
- Stepford Smiler: It makes him even more intimidating to be honest.
Voiced by: Daisuke Kirii
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hizame's whole village died horribly after eating from the mermaid, leaving her as the only survivor.
- Hidden Eyes: Whatever is underneath that blindfold should not be exposed...
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Even covers her mouth with her sleeve when doing so.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Eating mermaid sushi led to its soul fusing with hers, giving her remarkable healing powers and immortality.
- Paper Master: Uses origami combined with magic for a variety of purposes.
- Rapunzel Hair: Very long, red and shaggy, making her stand out despite her otherwise nondescript appearance.
- Really 700 Years Old: Eight hundred actually, and still going strong.
- Squishy Wizard: Despite having powerful magic abilities, she doesn't directly involve herself in fights due to a weak constitution.
- Beware the Silly Ones: He acts like an idiot most of the time but has a quick temper.
- Bumbling Sidekick: Bonten clearly finds it hard to stand Susutake. His nickname for him seems to be 'idiot'.
- Face of a Thug: Deliberately uses it to his advantage when scaring people. Otherwise he's usually grinning. Evilly.
- Friend in the Black Market: The reason Bonten goes to him is because he's familiar with the human underworld.
- Friendly Sniper: A generally good-natured guy, and a crack shot with a rifle.
- Guy Liner: Wears red eye makeup for some reason.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps
- Sprouting Ears: Frequently gets drawn with dog ears and a tail in the manga, for no apparent reason.
- Tattooed Crook: Due to having spent time in prison, he has distinctive tattoos on his arms. They almost get him caught several times, but he still refuses to cover them up, on the grounds that they make him look cool.