Characters: A Certain Magical Index Sisters
The Radio Noise project was originally devised to mass produce Level 5 esper clones of Mikoto Misaka, but only managed to produce level 2 and later level 3 espers. It was later retooled in the Level 6 shift project, which involved creating 20000 clones in order to force Accelerator to attain Level 6. After the project was stopped, several clones are still around after the project. This page details the most prominent ones.Click here to go back to the main character page.
open/close all foldersThe clones share the following tropes:
- Art Evolution: In the Railgun S anime, they have much more natural-looking eyes than in Index, though they still don't look like Mikoto's and aren't much more expressive.
- Bad Liar: Their Verbal Tic means they have a tendency to announce when they are trying to deceive or manipulate people.
- Clones Are People Too: Not at first, but once Touma saves 10032 and gives her a speech, they begin to start treating themselves as individuals more, rather than just puppets of the Hive Mind.
- Cloning Blues: Twenty thousand clones created solely to be killed? Oh yeah, they count.
- Cuteness Proximity: A mild variation although it's probably natural for Last Order.
- Gratuitous English: The "Radio Noise" epithet.
- Good with Numbers: Due to the way their base programming is constructed, they're basically an organic supercomputer. Because of this, they're capable of very advanced calculations; Accelerator regains half his calculating power just by borrowing a tiny amount of each Sister's brainpower, and at the end of Railgun S, Mikoto calls them to calculate the trajectory of a missile.
- Hive Mind: Each Misaka is an individual entity, but the story indicates that the network itself is alive and a will that uses the individual Misakas like you would use your hands and feet. Last Order is the administrator and superior of the Misaka network but is not the network itself. WORST is connected to the network, but is designed to act independently of it and not to be under the control of Last Order. Compared to all the normal Sisters, she thus has a great deal more autonomy and individuality.
- Irony: After Accelerator gets shot in the head defending Last Order, Heaven Canceler supplements the damage to his brain using the Misaka Network. This after he killed roughly half of them during the Level 6 experiments.
- Narrating the Present: With the exception of Misaka WORST.
- Shock and Awe: The standard clones have a level 3 version of Mikoto's electromaster powers by the end of the experiments, while Misaka WORST is level 4.
- Talking To Herself: In the dub, Mikoto, the MISAKA's, and Last Order are all voiced by the same actress, while in the original they had a unique actress for each. Of course, whenever any of the MISAKA's were talking to each other, they still counted for this trope.
- Tin Man: Most of the clones appear to be Emotionless Girls, but they actually do have feelings.
- Third-Person Person: Every single one of them narrates themselves.
- Verbal Tic: "Nearly all Misaka's have a weird speech pattern where they explain their emotional state." says Misaka as she delightfully demonstrates this trope.
- Younger Than They Look: Comes with accelerated growth.
The very first clone of Mikoto Misaka, serial number 00000. She was not part of the Level 6 Shift project, but was a prototype of the later clones. She appears in flashbacks in the Railgun manga, where she goes by the nickname "Dolly." The cloning process was still imperfect when she was made, so she can't survive without extensive cybernetic implants.
- Cyborg: She has extensive mechanical implants in her chest to keep her alive.
- Expendable Clone: Dolly was a prototype created only to be experimented upon to facilitate the creation of even more expendable clones. For this goal, she was pumped full of all sorts of unsafe chemicals to see how she would react. The control for the experiment, Full Tuning, was apparently not considered expendable and is thus still in stasis when the arc begins.
- Flawed Prototype: The cloning process wasn't perfected when Dolly was made, hence the cybernetics.
- Ghost Memory: Misaki learns that Full Tuning has the memories of Dolly and enlists Mitori to find her and wake her up together, but warns that just because she has Dolly's memories doesn't mean she is Dolly. However, Dolly and Full Tuning shared memories to the point where Full Tuning identifies as Dolly herself, having spent her own real life asleep in a tube. So in a way it's like Dolly never died and Full Tuning never lived.
- Hidden Depths: She's smarter than she lets on. Not only did she know that her condition was deteriorating and she wouldn't survive much longer without major treatment, she also knew Misaki was not "Mi-chan."
- In Universe Nickname: Dolly, after the first cloned sheep.
- Only Friend: Apparently a girl named "Mi-chan," Kouzaku Mitori, and who apparently stopped visiting her after being freaked out by her implants. The researchers, who needed Dolly's emotional state stable for their experiments, requested that Misaki use her powers to pretend to be this person. Dolly quickly became Misaki's only friend, and soon after we find out that Dolly knew from the start Misaki wasn't Mi-chan.
- Posthumous Character: Dolly was an experimental prototype. She died not long after Misaki befriended her.
- Verbal Tic: Notably averted; unlike the other clones, she speaks normally. This lends more credence to the fan theory that the clones' narration is how they upload data to the Misaka network. The network didn't even exist when Dolly was made, so there was no need for that.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Apparently dies the chapter after she is introduced, which is also only a short time after she meets Misaki.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: When she steals Mikoto's ice cream.
- Brutal Honesty: This exchange when she tastes her first cup of tea:Researcher: How is it? It's a really high quality tea that costs 20000 yen per can.
Misaka 9982: It's horrible.
Misaka 9982: My very first tea is this crap?! Misaka laments over her misfortune.
- Classified Information: Her response when asked by Mikoto about the project.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Killed by Accelerator dropping a train at her, but not before getting her leg violently ripped off by Accelerator.
- Cry Cute: After being released from her People Jar. Justified since her mind was like a newborn baby at that time.
- Deadpan Snarker: Far more than the other clones.
- Doomed by Canon: She's clone 9982. All clones before 10032 were killed by Accelerator. What do you think is going to happen to her?
- Emotionless Girl: Although that doesn't stop her from being very snarky.
- Gallows Humor: "Misaka objects to the childish taste of the Original." Her comment to the first and last gift she ever received.
- Hope Spot: She managed to catch Accelerator by surprise by planting a landmine. Unfortunately, while surprised, it didn't harm him at all.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Doesn't mind dressing up in front of other people, or flipping up her skirt to save a kitten.
- Kill the Cutie: After they meet, she and Mikoto spend the afternoon squabbling like sisters until Mikoto finds out about the experiments and arrives just in time to see her smashed by a train.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Mikoto meets her when she's rescuing a cat from a tree.
- Literal-Minded:Researcher: The people [in the outside world] are packed like sardines, though.
Misaka 9982: People are packed in containers?!
- Panty Shot: Chapter 22. She flips up her skirt to catch a falling kitten.
- Sacrificial Lamb: She exists to show up, let Mikoto know that she has clones and get attached to one and then die without being able to do a thing. Her death sparks the darkest arc in the Railgun storyline.
Misaka Imouto/Misaka 10032
- Adorkable: Quiet, gentle, kind and socially awkward, with a pair of soft Puppy-Dog Eyes to match.
- Badass Adorable: Comes with being Mikoto's "little sister".
- Bandage Babe: After the Sisters arc in the second season of Railgun, she spends the rest of the season heavily bandaged due to injuries from the fight with Accelerator.
- Berserk Button: Taking something from her will result in her pulling out her rifle and declaring "The time for revolution has come." Also, don't try to eat candy in the form of small birds when Misaka 10032 thinks they're real and especially don't say they taste good even though they're experiments. All Played for Laughs, of course.
- Cloning Blues: As with the rest of the clones, though she's most notable because she's the first one who goes to the experiment regretting that she won't survive the night.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Shows shades of this. Such as considering naming her cat "Dog".
- Cold Sniper: Though she is very kind.
- Distressed Damsel: She gets kidnapped a lot. At least Last Order has the excuse of being the keystone of the Network; 10032 just has really bad luck.
- Goggles Do Something Unusual: They let her see in the electromagnetic spectrum.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: She seems to neither care nor notice that Touma’s getting an eye-full of her striped panties, places his hand on her chest in order to perform readings after he wakes up from a battle, and doesn't bat an eyelash to Touma seeing her completely naked while she undergoes her body adjustments. She is definitely toying with Touma in her own weird way, but she still thought nothing of stripping her skirt off in a crowded mall.
- Kill the Cutie: Defied by Touma.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: With Shrodinger/Inu/Tokugawa Ieyasu. Can I take her home with me?
- Nonchalant Dodge: While playing a game of tag during the Sports Festival, her opponents found "Mikoto" far more slippery than expected.10032: Misaka has fought over ten thousand battles with a man who could kill with a touch. You will not catch her so easily.
- Not So Stoic: An interesting case of this. If you pay close attention to the way she talks/acts, you'll find that she's actually pretty quirky and can get rather emotional at times (such as hunting down Last Order with a rifle for taking her goggles). It's just that she always uses the same tone of voice and facial expression, like when chasing down Last Order with a rifle for taking her goggles.
- Panty Shot: White with blue stripes, to be exact.
- Shrinking Violet: Grows out of this... sort of.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She's actually a warm and kind-hearted girl who just has trouble expressing emotions due to being a clone, and therefore not having had practice expressing them.
- Tranquil Fury: When Last Order steals her goggles, she pulls an assault rifle out and goes on the hunt.
- Twin Switch: Briefly, during the Sports Festival, she takes Mikoto's place in the games. And gets kidnapped when Mikoto isn't paying attention.
- What Measure Is a Mook?: When fighting against Accelerator, Touma interrupts their fight in order to take him on and save her. She insists that she was ready to die, and that there would be countless other clones like her to continue the experiment. Touma calls her rationale foolish, and states that while she has many sisters, there's only one of her. This causes the remaining sisters to reconsider dying so pointlessly for the experiment, and they help Touma to defeat Accelerator.
The 10777th clone in the Radio Noise project, she was sent to Russia. During WWIII, she met up with Mikoto. Together, they evacuated towns, disabled nukes, and defeated forces on both sides to prevent casualties.
- Big Damn Heroes: As the Star Of Bethlehem is falling apart, she flies a VTOL up to rescue Touma. Subverted when he doesn't board.
- Hopeless Suitor: Has a crush on Touma, just like all her sisters. Unlike Mikoto and 10032, she lives in Russia.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Courtesy of spending her entire screentime with her big sister.Misaka 10777: You managed to single handedly defeat a company of troops 200 strong. Seeing that, it seems to be giving Misaka a complex, says Misaka as she feels a bit downhearted.
- Chekhov's Gunman: In a strange and convoluted way. She's the first clone to display the ability to hide thoughts from the network. She went on a diet (to attract Touma), and the other Sisters didn't realize it until they noticed she was skinnier than everyone else. However, in Railgun, she's the clone in the tank that had the emotions uploaded to her, which were then blocked by Last Order from going to the rest of the clones. No one knew about this until she tells Shinobu about it during the final arc of Railgun S. It's likely that this is what caused her to hide her dieting plans from the rest of the clones. It's a straight example once one considers the timeline in universe, as opposed to when things were released.
- Emotionless Girl: Averted, actually. In the Railgun anime, it's revealed that she acquired emotions after Shinobu attempted to upload them to the Network. The final scenes of the anime show her drinking tea and smiling, while her sisters look on expressionless.
- Hopeless Suitor: Goes on a secret diet in an attempt to attract Touma.
Last Order/Misaka 20001
- A-Cup Angst: She is very jealous of Misaka Worst's breasts. She doesn't take it well when Worst says she won't get to her level because they've been grown with different hormones.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To the rest of the Network, despite the fact that she's technically their superior. She has a similar dynamic with Accelerator.
- Blush Sticker: Constantly.
- Cheerful Child/Genki Girl: Unlike the other 20,000 Sister clones, she's quite capable of expressing emotions and is quite a cheerful girl. This is a big clue that she's not a "normal" Misaka clone.
- Crocodile Tears: When Accelerator scolds her for leaving the apartment and running off on her own after stealing Misaka 10032's goggles. Flatout admits it too, of course, due to her Verbal Tic.
- Distressed Damsel: Despite being Level 3, her powers are underdeveloped, putting her in several dangerous situations involving those who want to tamper with the MISAKA network.
- Has Two Mommies: Her guardians, Yomikawa and Kikyo.
- Hidden Depths: Every once in a while she turns off her cheerful persona, reminding viewers that she has full access to all the memories of the Network, including their 10,031 deaths.
- Hive Queen: She's the central administrator of the MISAKA Network, with the ability to override any viruses and give orders which they must obey. Of course, since the other Sisters are all Tin Men and she's a Genki Girl, they mostly ignore her unless she forces the issue.
- Hopeless Suitor: It's clear that she has a Precocious Crush on Accelerator. It's just as clear that he doesn't reciprocate, instead viewing her as a little sister or even a daughter.
- Genki Girl: She typically acts like a little kid on a sugar rush.
- Idiot Hair: She's by no means an idiot though. Possibly intended to show her status as the "control tower" for the Sisters.
- Keystone Army: Her status as administrator of the Network means it is virtually impossible to mind control individual Sisters (either through a virus or powers). However, it also means she is the single point of failure, as a virus uploaded through her cannot be resisted by the rest of the Network.
- Living MacGuffin/MacGuffin Girl: As the central controller of the Sister network, she has been captured at least twice in an effort to upload a virus to all the other Sisters.
- Morality Pet: To Accelerator.
- Motor Mouth: Unless the situation is really serious, she never shuts up.
- Token Mini-Moe: Among the Sisters, which she claims was the result of being taken out of her incubator early.
- Verbal Tic: In addition to Narrating the Present she announces herself as the topic of the conversation twice (Misaka wa Misaka wa) which isn't really translatable. Most translators go with "[normal speech] Misaka says, as Misaka [action].", though Funimation's translations just have her calling herself "Misaka Misaka".
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: With the advent of the MISAKA Worst clones, Aleister planned to replace her with a MISAKA Worst-version administrator. Accelerator thwarts this, fortunately.
Third generation, higher-level (Level 4) and high school version of the clones fully designed for combat purposes.
- Alpha Bitch: To the clones and pretty much everyone else.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: She seems to be this way towards Accelerator. It doesn't help she doesn't like the 'Hero', Touma Kamijou. In fact, she is afraid of him because he never treated her sisters badly.
- Ax-Crazy: Justified. She was literally designed to be this by genetic manipulation; as she runs off the negative emotions in the MISAKA Network and had Accelerator's old thought patterns forced into her. Averted after making a Heel-Face Turn by expanding on the implication that she mostly just hates Accelerator and the researchers.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: Her sole reason for living was based on this.
- Badass: From the short amount of time she's been in the story, she's shown to be one.
- Worst has more in NT, in volume 2, she pulls off a One-Man Army by taking down a group of Freshmen, with a broken arm. And without Accelerator.
- Worst pulls off another by taking out a bunch of guys, and jamming all the cameras. Clearly, she can, for the most part, handle herself.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Accelerator.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Look down at the Dark and Troubled Past below.
- Bi the Way: From how she acts with Accelerator, and Umidori, it's quite questionable.
- Blood Knight: Although she is this, Worst points out in NT 3, that when she's not with Accelerator, she loses interest.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Has demonstrated the ability to break the fourth wall.Worst: Oh, Misaka never said that. Maybe she was talking about number of appearances.
Mikoto: Now you’ve said it!!
- Break the Haughty: Administers this to Umidori so much that she makes her cry.
- Buxom Is Better: She's very proud of the fact that she has the most impressive bust of all her sisters, including the original. She trolls them about it, too, noting that since she was grown with different hormones there's no guarantee they'll be the same.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: In NT, notable for being against her will. Since she's an Enemy Without, she expresses all negative emotions, including jealousy. So when Last Order is feeling a strong bout of jealousy, Hilarity Ensues.
- The Dark Side: She often states that she lives for this.
- Enemy Without: Sort of; Misaka Worst is the outlet of the negative feelings of the original network. Her will can be overtaken if the negativity is too strong.
- Evil Twin: Initially. Later, she just becomes a Jerkass twin.
- Evil Counterpart: To Misaka Mikoto, Last Order, heck, pretty much all of the clones. Well with Mugino's persona and Accelerator's old thought patterns planted into her, how can she not be evil?
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: In NT volume 3, while Worst is jamming all the cameras, she confesses that she's worried about putting Accelerator in danger.
- Femme Fatale: Oh yeah, big time.
- The Gadfly: It seems that if she doesn't get to be evil, she's at least going to do her best to screw with people, though it's played for laughs.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: Her lightning is purple, compared to the original's blue.
- The Gunslinger: Shows signs of being able to use guns pretty well. Seems to be able to keep up with Shiage.
- Has Two Mommies: Since she has now started living with Accelerator, Yoshikawa has already given Worst a dress.
- Heel-Face Turn: Teams up with Accelerator after trying to kill Last Order and him under orders from Academy City.
- Ironic Fear: Of Touma; unlike the other Sisters. This is justified, as she values herself as the negative embodiment of the Misaka network, and NONE of the Sisters have negative feelings about him, making her fear him as dangerous to her existence.
- Knife Nut: In NT, when Accelerator told her to use it against the FRESHMEN, she told him she already did. Knowing Worst, who knows what she could done to them?
- Laser Guided Tyke Bomb: Sent out to break Accelerator by either forcing him to kill her (which would break him), kill Last Order, kill him since he doesn't want to reflect her attacks and is relying on dodging, or in a worst case scenario simply die in front of him. Her entire mental outlook is more or less shaped around making her hate Accelerator and herself.
- Light Is Not Good: So far, Worst has been dressing in pure white outfits, but that doesn't match with her persona.
- Mind Rape: To Accelerator. Technically, she fails although she does basically break him. Accelerator doesn't die, Last Order doesn't die and she herself survives. After the whole thing, Accelerator is even better off due to Touma fixing him.
- Morality Pet: Strongly hinted to be Accelerator.
- Motive Rant/Dark and Troubled Past: She kind of has a point, actually.Misaka Worst: Misaka was created in order to kill [Accelerator]. Misaka didn’t particularly want to be born, but she was forced to do so. In order to cut off the signals form Last Order, her skin was cut open and a bunch of strange sheets and selectors were embedded within. If it weren’t for you, none of that would have happened. If you hadn’t made that decision, Misaka would never have been born. And even if she had been, it would not have been in that way that cut off all chance for a future. ‘It hurts. Help.’ By the time Misaka learned those words, she was already in a situation where she could not say them. That is why Misaka has the right to blame you. That is why she has a reason to kill you.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Spends her first appearance trying to either kill Accelerator or break him mentally. When she succeeds in driving him insane, she instantly regrets it, begging him to calm down and snap out of it.
- Nail 'Em: She can use Mikoto's Railgun technique... except she uses a nail instead of a coin.
- Nominal Hero/Sociopathic Hero: She has no desire to help people or make friends. She only fights bad guys because she likes kicking ass and it's convenient for her to do so.
- Odd Friendship:
- Her and Kuronyan.Misaka Worst: How about we join forces as the villain girl combo?
- Her and Shiage counts too, especially in the middle of NT volume 3.
- Her and Kuronyan.
- Red Oni: To Accelerator's blue.
- She Is All Grown Up: She's an older, high-school version of Misaka Mikoto.
- Ship Tease:
- With Accelerator.
- Averted with Touma and to a certain extent Shiage.
- Slasher Smile: Just look at her, usually is seen sporting one.
- The Tease: In New Testament Volume 1.Misaka Worst: Should Misaka use her tongue seductively as she licks [the ice cream]?
Accelerator: Who are you trying to please by doing that? Yourself?
Misaka Worst: Well, there is that. If it would be devastating to your relationship with Last Order, Misaka will let you touch her tits and ass, but doing it now would seem rather pointless.
- They Would Cut You Up: Poor WORST.
- She has show slight signs of this towards Accelerator because of the aforementioned use of Enemy Without.Misaka Worst: Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!! Misaka doesn’t care about him, so why!?
- In New Testament Volume 3, she remarks that when she isn't with Accelerator, she loses interest in picking fights. In short, Accelerator's proximity is her tsun trigger.
- She has show slight signs of this towards Accelerator because of the aforementioned use of Enemy Without.
- Woman in White: Shows shades of this, but more like Woman in Black.
- Would Hurt a Child: She tried to kill Last Order.
- Just read New Testament volume 3, she doesn't hold back on Umidori. She keeps this up even after she makes Umidori cry.
- Yandere: Well she was pretty crazy for wanting to kill Accelerator, and even now, she's still got the Ax-Crazy persona, just toned down. It doesn't help that she got her personality from Mugino.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Academy City made sure than whatever was the outcome of her fight with Accelerator, she would self-destruct. Who saves her? The broken, dead-inside Accelerator that just broke her arm due to being brutally Mind Raped by her. And in a different way, her generation of clones were intended to be this towards the previous set of clones. However, Accelerator appears to have forced them to stop production.
The Misaka Network itself. It is capable of thought and action independent of the Sisters that comprise it, but normally this requires special circumstances.
- Hive Mind: It is the hive mind. The exact circumstances are a bit unclear, but it seems to act as a mind behind the individual Sisters. Last Order is the administrator, but not actually in control of the collective itself.
- Our Angels Are Different: Due to the way angels work in this universe, it has the potential to become an angel in the same way the Level Upper network did. This was done twice: With Kazakiri and with Mikoto.
- Ripple-Effect-Proof Memory: It retains its memories of the original world despite Othinus drastically altering reality, as it exists in a state between life and death.
- Spanner in the Works: Gives Touma a pep-talk that convinces him to reject the "perfect" world Othinus created.
- Super Mode: When fused with Hyouka Kazakiri, it can turn her into FUZE=Kazakiri, an artificial angel. It's also revealed that doing the same to Mikoto can drive her to Level 6 if circumstances are right.
- Verbal Tic: Unlike the Sisters, it doesn't narrate itself. Instead, it constantly says "Escape" and "Return", as it speaks like a typed message.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Speaking through Last Order, it berates Accelerator for trying to take the easy way out in his path to redemption by becoming a Death Seeker (ironically, Shizuri Mugino had scolded him about this earlier, but he forgot quickly). It says if he doesn't shape up and struggle to fight the darkness with everything he has, it will throw him into a Hell several times larger than he can imagine.