Manga: A Certain Scientific Accelerator
A Spinoff of A Certain Magical Index, first released on December 27, 2013.Accelerator is the #1 most powerful Esper in Academy City, a state-of-the-art city dedicated to the scientific study and development of Psychic Powers. Every student in Academy City is given an "Esper Rank" to indicate their power, and Accelerator is a Level 5 with the ability to manipulate vectors, hence his name. Following his defeat at the hands of Touma Kamijou in A Certain Magical Index and subsequent Heel-Face Turn, Accelerator heads out on his path to redemption.This manga spinoff is an original side-story written by Kazuma Kamachi. It is the second spinoff, after A Certain Scientific Railgun. Continuity-wise, it begins sometime between Light Novels 7 and 8 of A Certain Magical Index.
Tropes found in this series:
- Clean Up Crew: Scavenger is a gang employed by Academy City's Board of Directors to swoop in after battles to terminate straggles and witnesses.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: In the first chapter, the Disciplinary Action officers are given strict orders to not bother Accelerator. When he decides to come outside and ask some questions, one decides to fight him off.
- Dirty Cop/Lawman Gone Bad: The rank and file of DA.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: Accelerator is normally a nigh Physical God, even after his depowering. Thus the story takes place shortly after his depowering when he's not only still recovering from his head injury, but his collar powering his abilities only lasts 5 minutes, weakening him to the point where he now cannot utterly destroy his opponents.
- Due to the Dead: Accelerator expresses his disgust at how DA treats dead bodies.
- Failed a Spot Check: Accelerator has a tendency to use his Attack Reflector to reflect annoying sounds, so he completely fails to notice the girl shouting at him five feet away.
- Fantastic Racism: DA has a problem with espers.
- Heroic RROD: Pushing himself and his powers too much causes Accelerator to collapse and his bullet wound to open up.
- Humongous Mecha: In chapter 1, DA has one powered by a dead esper.
- Justice Will Prevail: DA officers constantly say this.
- Knight Templar: The fake Anti-Skill officer working for DA believes it's his duty to destroy evil espers. In fairness, calling Accelerator evil isn't that much of a stretch, but he seems to have a very broad definition of the term.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Even when using a giant mech with the equivalent of level 5 telekinesis, Higata knows better than to tangle with Accelerator.
- Mysterious Waif: The first chapter starts with a girl in a cloak looking for Accelerator to talk to him about Last Order, but she is dragged off by a DA officer before she can get his attention.
- Nebulous Evil Organization/Lawman Gone Bad/Dirty Cop: "DA," an organization that appears to be fighting mages and espers.
- Necromancer: Estelle Rosenthal, the mage looking for Last Order, is a necromancer who was originally working with DA.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Estelle revives a corpse by implanting its brain with a spell that works as its mind, and it pretty much acts exactly like a robot that happens to be made out of meat.
- Shockwave Stomp: In chapter 1, Accelerator opens up a massive chasm in the street this way.
- Slipped the Ropes: The girl who was captured in chapter 1 managed to escape on her own while Accelerator was fighting.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: In chapter 5, a DA thug throws his Vibro Weapon at the ceiling to collapse it and distract the heroes long enough to run away.
- To the Pain: In chapter 5, Accelerator describes to a DA thug what will happen to him once his blood flow and bio-electricity is reversed. The thug gets so scared that he faints.
- Underestimating Badassery: The DA officer in chapter 1 thinks that Accelerator is helpless with his brain damage. Accelerator doesn't even need to turn on his Amplifier Artifact to defeat him.
- Vibro Weapon: A DA thug in chapter 4 brandishes one of these called the Random Number Ultrasonic Generator and says he wants to test if Accelerator can't reflect it. He gets disarmed before he has a chance to use it. The blade wrecks the floor when it lands.
- Weirdness Censor: Like most Science Side characters, Accelerator mistakes magic that he witnesses for esper powers, even when Estelle outright uses Magi Babble.
- You Have Failed Me: DA has their operative Nishio terminated for failing to capture Estelle. Accelerator and Estelle later find his corpse while breaking into one of their headquarters.