of A Certain Magical Index
, first released on December 27, 2013.
Accelerator is the #1 most powerful Esper in Academy City, a state-of-the-art city dedicated to the scientific study and development of Psychic Powers
. Every student in Academy City is given an "Esper Rank" to indicate their power, and Accelerator is a Level 5 with the ability to manipulate vectors
, hence his name
. Following his defeat at the hands of Touma Kamijou
in A Certain Magical Index
and subsequent Heel-Face Turn
, Accelerator heads out on his path to redemption.
This manga spinoff is an original side-story written by Kazuma Kamachi
. It is the second spinoff, after A Certain Scientific Railgun
. Continuity-wise, it begins sometime between Light Novels 7 and 8 of A Certain Magical Index
Tropes found in this series:
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: In the first chapter, the Anti-Skill soldiers are given strict orders to not bother Accelerator. When he decides to come outside and ask some questions, one decides to fight him off.
- Failed a Spot Check: Accelerator has a tendency to use his Attack Reflector to reflect annoying sounds, so he completely fails to notice the girl shouting at him five feet away.
- Fantastic Racism: DA has a problem with espers.
- Humongous Mecha: In chapter 1, DA has one powered by a dead esper.
- Knight Templar: The fake Anti-Skill soldier working for DA believes it's his duty to destroy evil espers. In fairness, calling Accelerator evil isn't that much of a stretch, but he seems to have a very broad definition of the term.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Even when using a giant mech with the equivalent of level 5 telekinesis, Higata knows better than to tangle with Accelerator.
- Mysterious Waif: The first chapter starts with a girl in a cloak looking for Accelerator to talk to him about Last Order, but she is dragged off by Anti-Skill before she can get his attention.
- Nebulous Evil Organization: "DA," an organization that appears to be fighting mages.
- Necromancer: Estelle Rosenthal, the mage looking for Last Order, is a necromancer who was originally working with DA.
- Shockwave Stomp: In chapter 1, Accelerator opens up a massive chasm in the street this way.
- Slipped the Ropes: The girl who was captured in chapter 1 managed to escape on her own while Accelerator was fighting.
- Underestimating Badassery: The DA soldier in chapter 1 thinks that Accelerator is helpless with his brain damage. Accelerator doesn't even need to turn on his Amplifier Artifact to defeat him.
- You Have Failed Me: DA has their operative Nishio terminated for failing to capture Estelle. Accelerator and Estelle later find his corpse while breaking into one of their headquarters.