"If I don’t keep writing, I’ll crash. Like an airplane."A Japanese author of various light novels and manga, best known by his first light novel series, A Certain Magical Index. Kazuma Kamachi is his pen name, his real name and identity are as of yet unknown. Before becoming the famous writer of the Index light novel series, Kamachi wrote a story entitled Schrödinger's City as an entry in the 9th Dengeki Game Novel Prize; unfortunately, his submission failed to reach past the third selection stage of the said competition. However, his story caught the attention of the editor-in-chief of Dengeki, and Kamachi later becomes in-charge in writing the book Want to Try Writing?, which became his debut as a professional writer.Being known for his prolific nature as a writer and also having stated that writing is his pastime, Kazuma Kamachi has an extensive list of works.
— Kamachi explaining how he's able to write such an enormous amount of material in such a short timeframe
Kazuma Kamachi's works
He also helped work on the anime adaptations of A Certain Magical Index (including its movie Miracle of Endymion) and A Certain Scientific Railgun. He also wrote the story line for the Square Enix mobile Card battle game Million Arthur.
- A Certain Magical Index (2004-2010), a light novel series set in a world where science and magic cross paths, with most events taking place in the technologically advanced Academy City located in Japan. It stars Kamijou Touma, a highschool boy with a mysterious ability on his right hand that allows him to negate any kind of supernatural power, be it of esper, magical or divine origin. Continued in a second series called A Certain Magical Index: New Testament (2011, ongoing).
- Heavy Object (2009, ongoing), a light novel series set 20 Minutes into the Future, in a world where gigantic war machines called Objects have completely changed the rules of warfare, rendering all conventional weapons and soldiers practically useless until the protagonists, a battlefield student called Quenser Barbotage and a radar analyst called Heivia Winchell, do the impossible and defeat an Object without using one of their own.
- The Circumstances Leading To Waltraute's Marriage (2012), a romantic comedy taking place in a Norse Mythology setting dealing with the relationship between a young human boy called Jack Elvan and Waltraute, the fourth of the nine Valkyrie sisters. Initially released as a series of three short stories in Dengeki Bunko Magazine, they were compiled into a single light novel with an original extra chapter/story.
- The Zashiki Warashi Of Intellectual Village (2012-2015), a light novel series taking place in Japan, where the creation of Intellectual Villages, advanced villages that recreate the atmosphere of old rural villages to promote designer and brand name products made with high tech tools and traditional methods, has resulted on the emergence of Youkai and with them, Packages, criminal operations making use of their supernatural traits.
- A Simple Survey (2012) and A Simple Monitoring (2013), two light novels mainly made up of a collection of small stories, with the main plot set in a world where a mysterious force called the absurd is present.
- Killer Queen and Deep End (2004) and Killer Device and Never End (2005), two short stories set in a world filled with dangerous killers whose methods of murder cannot be handled with a normal investigation or normal reporting.
- The Unexplored Summon://Blood Sign (2015, ongoing), a light novel series set in a world where humans have perfected the art of calling upon and summoning gods and other mythical creatures by thoroughly researching and combining aspects of the summoning techniques from all cultures, but in the process accidentally discovering the existence of beings that lurk beyond the gods, the Unexplored-class.
- The Circumstances Leading to a Certain Magical Heavy Zashiki Warashi’s Simple Killer Princess's Marriage (2015), a light novel crossover written for his 10th anniversary as a professional writer. Set in the Norse Mythology world seen in Waltraute's novel, as several characters from his previous works mysteriously appear in the fantasy world.
- The Weakness of Beatrice the Level Cap Holy Swordswoman That Made Being the Strongest Even More Trouble – His Name? Boo Boo (2016), a light novel series set in an alternate world of swords and magic with a game-like system, where Beatrice, considered the strongest human, made a promise to a small orc.
- My Vampire Older Sister and Zombie Little Sister (2016), a web novel series posted on Kamachi's official website. The virtual reality environment simulator created by the main character, a boy named Amatsu Satori, is used by his zombie little sister and vampire older sister to compete with each other to infect the residents of the virtual city, all in order to solve a heated debate brought upon Satori's careless words: “If a zombie and vampire went all out, which one would win?”.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: He wrote a light novel that crosses over all his works called The Circumstances Leading to a Certain Magical Heavy Zashiki Warashi’s Simple Killer Princess's Marriage, released on Feb. 10, 2015.