Axis Powers Hetalia: Southern Europe
Click to go back to the character index.
- Ascended Extra: Spain and Romano have become major ensemble characters over time.
- Big Fancy House: In the "Boss Spain" strips Spain and young!Romano (and maybe Belgium and Netherlands too) live in a castle. Justified Trope, this is Imperial!Spain we're talking about.
- Five-Man Band: Often in fanworks.
- The Hero: Spain, being the "boss" and more optimistic of the group.
- The Lancer: Romano plays this most often as the Perpetual Frowner to Spain's Perpetual Smiler, but Netherlands sometimes claims this role as well.
- The Smart Guy: While not featured along with the rest as prominently in fanworks, Monaco certainly fits this role. Although Luxembourg is hinted to be this.
- The Big Guy: Either Netherlands or Cuba.
- The Chick: Belgium, of the Cool Big Sis or Team Mom variety.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: North and South Italy.
- Wife Husbandry: A possible interpretation of the Spain/Romano pairing. See the main page.
open/close all folders
Spain - Antonio Fernandez Carriedo
You're so cute when you're half asleep!
Voiced by: Go Inoue (JP), Dave Trosko (EN)
- Accidental Pervert: When he tugs on Romano's haircurl not understanding what it does to him. But Spain does show hints of being a Covert Pervert.
- An Axe to Grind: Fanarts have him using a fricking big one as his Weapon of Choice.
- Big Damn Heroes: Spain pulls a Papa Wolf and rescues South Italy from Turkey. Then, Turkey declares war and Spain almost goes bankrupt funding the war effort.
- Doting Parent: Dangerously combined with his Shotacon tendencies. Too bad Romano slaps him in the face every time Spain tries to be nice.
- Everything Is Better with BULLS: The best way to start a Big Damn Heroes? Go have a bull knocking down the carriage where your adopted kid is being held and then go face his kidnapper.
- Fruit of The Loon: "Nice bananas."
- Goofy Print Underwear: In the Noto-sama 5 flash game, when Noto and Yamato strip him, we see that Spain wears tomato-print undies◊.
- Ill Boy: When his economy goes really rotten, he gets very sick. Romano then goes to search for a cure...
- In Vino Veritas / Can't Hold His Liquor: From his profile:"When he drinks wine, he becomes sentimental, and if he gets drunk, you better put some distance between you and him!"
- Latin Lover: While not shown in-series, Spain alludes to this idea of him while assuring Turkey that while he is "sensually misleading to the eye" he's still very much a badass.
- Fandom of course ran with this idea long before that dub came out.
- Kansai Regional Accent: Although it usually doesn't show up in scanlations.
- Nice Guy: Spain's major personality trait. Though thanks to Spain/Romano being a very popular ship, he isn't as overlooked in the fandom as you might expect.
- Not So Different: With Netherlands, both of them like young kids.
- Even more so with Portugal, though both of them would like to denied it vehemently.
- Perpetual Smiler: He's very cheerful.
- Pirate: During his imperial days, where he's more often than not paired with England.
- Shotacon: He was shown to have creepy fantasies about the Italy brothers when they were barely teens. A deleted strip almost takes this too far, when Italy was a toddler.
- Surprise Santa Encounter: Double Subverted. Belgium and Romano knew Netherlands was setting up a meeting with Santa... The surprise was when he brought a spaced-out Spain over his shoulder while dressed as reindeer. They were horrified, but at least no money was spent!
- Team Mom: At start, being equal partners with Austria (or property?), and raising the boyish S. Italy.
- Toros y Flamenco: Quite averted: he has only appeared in a matador costume in one official art, not in the strips, and doesn't seem to be a Latin Lover. The fanartists, on the other hand...
- Trademark Favorite Food: Spain loves tomatoes, and has taught S. Italy to do the same. And like any good Team Mom, he has learnt how to settle disputes with sweets, more exactly churros.
- Yandere / Cute and Psycho: An increasingly popular rendition of his character in fanon, considering how conflicted Spanish history is. It even has its own tag on Pixiv, the Japanese equivalent of Deviant Art.
- Word Of God also says that he was two-faced like Russia and either very severe or cruel to his colonies that are not South Italy. To be fair, those notes are very old and were taken off Hidekaz's proper site, so we don't know how true they are right now. Volume Five profile does mention that he has a "mysterious aura of light and darkness," which might be a reference to the White Legend and Black Legend respectively.
- This was mostly Played for Laughs with in the 2011 Fool's Bath. He gives a rather crazy look when France was about to spill who the true culprit of the event was, then he switched to his happy face and claimed that the letters he sent were meant to be a group hang out and not meant to be threatening.
Italy Romano (Southern Italy) - Lovino Vargas
I KINDA HATE YOU DAMNIT!
Voiced by: Shounosuke Hitachi (Flower of Iris CD), Daisuke Namikawa (JP), Ian Sinclair (EN), Aki Kanada (JP-Chibiromano), Colleen Clinkenbeard (EN-Chibiromano)
- Big Brother Instinct: He utterly hates Germany because of Germany's connection to Italy. This doesn't stop him bothering younger Italy himself, or even pretending his little brother doesn't exist sometimes.
- Bi the Way: He can be very Tsundere for Spain, but he is somewhat of a womanizer as well (and there was that one time he had a crush on Belgium...)
- Bratty Half-Pint: Was a jerkass even as a child, and spoiled to boot.
- Calling Your Attacks: When he was a kid.ChibiRomano: Eat this! Napolitan Tornado!
- The Chosen One: In the 2010 Bloodbath. He's the key to saving the Alternate Universe.
- Cluster F-Bomb: His favorite words seem to be "bastard" and "dammit", which he uses. Profusely.
- Crowning Momentof Funny: When Romano is introduced to Germany by Italy.Italy: Hey Germany! My older brother Romano is here, isn't he so cool?Germany: Er, ya it's nice to meet you.Italy: See I'm the Northern half, and Romano's the southern half! We were occupied separately, so my brother has been with Spain longer than he has with me! Come on Romano, say hello!Romano: (to Germany) Munch on a bullet, potato freak.Germany: Uh!?
- The Dub Version has some interesting alterations note
- Dismotivation: From the Vol. 5 profile: "He does have the will to work, he just doesn't feel like it for now!"
- Does Not Like Men: Rare male example. He's kind and flirtatious to women, but strict and asocial to men.
- Large Ham: At least in the English version. Ian Sinclair's helped him become something of a Fountain of Memes
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Very easy to piss off.
- James Bondage: When Turkey kidnaps him.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Quite heavier on the Jerk part, with his Hair-Trigger Temper.
- Little Sir Snarker: As ChibiRomano in the English dub.
- Idiot Hair: Like his brother's, it acts as his erogenous zone.
- Kid-anova: Tried putting the moves on Belgium when he was little. Probably because Spain was teaching him the art of piropos (Spanish flirting).
- Large Ham: he was pretty loud in the original, and then the english dub took that and ran away with it.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Ties with England as the most foul-mouthed character in the entire series.
- Spell My Name with an "S": A bit lighter compared to the other characters, but some fans tend to use "Rovino," an actual Italian name meaning something along the lines of 'collapse,' instead of "Lovino," which isn't actually a given name (but a surname) but was just copied en masse due to L/R confusion.
- Tsundere: South Italy is a fierce mix of all Type A varieties, partly out of insecurity that Spain only wants him for his inheritance and partly that his lack of domestic/artistic talents makes him inferior to his little brother. And yep, Romano's Tsundere side is specially strong when around Spain.
- The Mafia: Seen once as thugs. Informs his outlook. It makes a lot of difference to the page quote which Italy you mean.
- Perpetual Frowner: When he does smile, it's almost always a Psychotic Smirk.
- Potty Failure: Tended to suffer from this when he was younger, since Spain's Big Fancy House was so large that he could never find the bathroom in time.
- Precocious Crush: He was chasing skirts ever since he was a little child, as shown when he hits on Queen Joanna of Castile, and by his reactions when he meets Belgium in the printed manga.
- The Unfavorite: To some degree, especially during his "childhood" days when Spain was more fixated on North Italy than him. He was seriously worried that he didn't have anything to offer, lacking his brother's domestic and artistic skills.
- It is hinted that the reason he is so mean to Spain is that he has abandonment issues-and considering that Ancient Rome chose to leave with North Italy instead, that Spain tried to swap him for his little brother, and that he thinks Spain only wants him for his inheritance, no one here can really blame him.
- Oh, and Spain passed up saving Romano that one time because he had to make 500 roses instead. To be fair, Spain's own economy was in no condition to save anyone, and he also felt really bad about it.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Just like Spain. Buono tomato!
- Unreliable Voiceover: ChibiRomano's diary is this in spades.
- Will They or Won't They?: Volume 5 profile seem to be shaping up for this: "He's not friends or enemy with Spain, their relationship is a bit in the grey area".
- I'm free on Sunday but only if you win against me in poker.
Voiced by: Yōko Hikasa (World Twinkle)
- Action Girl: Possibly. She is drawn wearing what appears to be chain mail and coif in some concept sketches in the third volume.
- Art Shift: Comparing her early sketches to her more recent appearances, she looks a lot younger now with a much sleeker braid.
- Beauty Mark: She has one on her chest, as revealed in the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010. Sadly, it's not the one that's going to stop The End of the World as We Know It.
- Best Her to Bed Her: A variation. You have to beat her in poker to date her. She might make an exception once in a while, though.
- Bokukko: In a rather odd variation, Monaco is very feminine, but according to Word Of God, her manner of speech mirrors that of a middle aged man.
- Brainy Brunette: Subverted, she was initially a brunette but it seems she's now a blue-eyed blonde, via the notes given on her in the volume 3 special edition.
- Apparently, in the last profile picture Himaruya took a third option and gave her dark blonde hair, which can be seen as light brown too.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Is it dark brown, light brown, dirty blond or platinum blond?
- Characterization Marches On: Remember when she was a Perpetual Frowner?
- Girlish Pigtails: During the 2013 Halloween event.
- Hair Decorations: Has several hairpins and a purple bow in her hair, like her first sketch shows.
- Hot Librarian: Fanon loves to peg her as this, and her profile describes her as she "a smart girl who gives off a proud impression"
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: The tiny girl to both France and Seborga. Even though they're not really that tall, she barely comes up to their chests.
- Joshikousei: Her everyday clothes seem rather reminiscent of this, including a long, double-breasted pink coat with a sailor-style collar (pictured above) and a short sleeved purple dress that looks even more so. Subverted in the case of a sketch of her Gakuen design, as she wears a more Western style uniform much like Seychelles'.
- Like Brother and Sister: Notes say her and France's relationship comes off as this. Although France being France, he probably doesn't see it the same way as she does.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: In her profile, it's stated that she let it grow to look like a Grand Duchess.
- Meganekko: The first female nation with them that's not a Gender Flip, showing off her classiness and intellect.
- Nightmare Fetishist: While not nearly on the levels of Belarus, she does make some pretty ominous remarks about the business of being a nation during the 2011 Bloodbath. All while laughing casually.Monaco: It would be great to have parents and lovers at a time like this, right? (laughing)Cyprus: Don't say such depressing things!
- The 2013 Halloween event makes it clear that she has a pretty dark (or at least snarky) sense of humor.
- Pink Means Feminine: Her clothes in her profile picture are pink.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Even though she's not necessarily a princess, being a nation as well as a principate comes pretty darn close.
- Plucky Girl: Has the proud and confident air, especially when it comes to poker.Monaco: I'm strong, you know! Hahahaha!
- Professional Gambler: You need to know how to play Poker if you ever hope to date her. Also, as noted in her profile, she owns and loves casinos.
- Shorter Means Smarter: She's often referred to as an honor student, and in a recent blog post, she was revealed to be shorter than Liechtenstein.
- The Gambler: According to her profile, while she didn't build the famous casinos, she still loves them to the point she's even drawn with cards around her!
- Sorta brought up again when Seborga asks her out on Hetalia Bloodbath 2011. She accepts, but then she tells him to beat her at poker first!◊ He loses, but she goes out with him anyway.
- The Hyena: Laughs near-constantly in the 2011 Halloween and Christmas events.
- The Ojou: Has the looks, seems to be one.
- The Smart Girl: It is said her intelligence is what has benefited her throughout history.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Seychelles's tomboy in Hetaween 2011.
- When She Smiles: She's usually drawn looking like The Stoic, but smiled constantly during the 2011 Bloodbath, looking absolutely adorable.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Maybe. During the Hetaween 2011 event, she has an interesting reaction◊ to France rubbing his face on England... although it's unclear if it's because she finds it funny or if she takes after her "brother".
- Beauty Mark: Has one below his right eye.
- Establishing Character Moment: Appearing before Spain and Romano, saying 'Boa noite'note and saying he knows a lot of foolish stories involving Spain, which makes Spain feel uncomfortable.
- Goggles Do Nothing: He wears some "badass goggles" with his uniform.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: Hinted at in a conversation between him and his underling, Macau◊.
- Sailor's Ponytail: Seems to have one of these. Considering his History, it's very appropriate.
- Scars Are Forever: Had a vertical one on his left eye in one of the sketches. He has no scar in his official introduction.