Analysis / Red Oni, Blue Oni
Possible varieties of "Red Oni, Blue Oni" dynamic
As the main page says, in Red Oni, Blue Oni
dynamic, Red is usually more emotional and Hot-Blooded
, while Blue is calmer and more prone to thinking before acting. However, many varieties are possible. Here are some of them, organized as "red - blue":
- The McCoy - The Spock: Pretty much the basic set-up. Red is emotional and acts before he thinks, while Blue is rational and thinks before he acts. Presented with hostage situation, Red will immediately send in the SWAT teams and Blue will try negotiations first.
- More Dakka - Awesomeness by Analysis: Or Force and Finesse. Might be military setting. In this case, Red believes that sufficient firepower will end up breaking the enemy, while Blue looks for sneaky and tricky approaches. When they have to enter the room, Red will blow up the door, while Blue will use the air vents.
- Confusion Fu User - Cold Sniper: Possible in The Squad. The Red in this case prefers close combat, while Blue strikes from distance with surgical precision. If attacked, Red will immediately strike back and Blue will try to back off into more advantageous position.
- Keet - Shrinking Violet: School settings, family settings and similar. Red is cheerful, energetic and friends with everyone or almost everyone, while Blue avoids people and doesn't feel well around them. When at new school, Red will sit in the front and ask questions to everybody, while Blue will sit in back corner and pick everything up as he goes.
- Fragile Speedster - Mighty Glacier: Settings with combat. Red charges to the battle with little to no defense and stays alive by the seat of his pants through split-second dodges, thinking on his feet, while Blue prefers slow, methodical approach that nevertheless breaks the enemy down.
- Genki Girl - Emotionless Girl: School and family settings. Red is energetic, overly emotional and impulsive and Blue is serene, silent and blending in with the background. When late, Red will cry, apologize on her knees and keep on talking about it and Blue will quietly and formally apologize.
- Na´ve Newcomer - Broken Ace: Organizations. Red is idealistic and full of ideas he wants to put into action, while Blue has spent his time in the organization and is rather disillusioned. When the situation is impossible to win, Red will fight against it, while Blue will back off and accept defeat.
- This can be significant for applying for work. Red would rush into signing up for jobs that they are likely not qualified for and would be extremely upset and disheartened if they didn't get the job. Blue would carefully choose jobs perhaps a little uncertain and would ask advice, if they didn't get the job they would understand and try again blaming him/herself for the mistake mildly.
- Unstoppable Rage - Tranquil Fury: Mostly combat settings. In this case, Red often has Hair-Trigger Temper and when annoyed, bursts out in absolute, shrieking fury, while Blue takes time to break, and then it seems that his mind jumps into higher gear with a single focus in mind. When taunted too much, Red will punch the opponent until there's nothing left, and Blue will calmly kill him with one strike.
- Agent Mulder - Agent Scully: Both crime and school settings. Here Red readily believes even the wildest theories, while Blue is more mundane, down to earth and prefers rational explanation. Much like X-Files' Mulder and Scully, when confronted with mysterious murder, Red will start looking for proof of aliens, while Blue will check existing explanations first.
- Bad Cop - Good Cop: Crime settings. Red is no-nonsense, expects quick results and believes that violence is the best option, while Blue tries to understand and be nice, believing that all can be solved calmly. When facing Powder Keg Crowd, Red will use water cannons while Blue will try Shaming the Mob.
- Manly Man - Sensitive Guy: Romance and action. Red is strong, macho and self-confident, while Blue is aware of his own shortcomings and more shy. When they want to start dating a girl, Red will try to impress her and Blue will buy her flowers.
- Veronica - Betty: Romance setting. Red is more exotic, wild and outspoken and Blue is calm, somewhat dull and less attractive. When on a date, Red will use She's Got Legs and Absolute Cleavage to her advantage, while Blue will start a conversation and express interest in the boy.
- Alternatively, the red will be a bubbly and charmingly foolish Betty, while the blue will be a mysterious and intelligent Veronica
- Performer - Technician: Every setting. Red does everything impulsively, without plan, relying on his instinct. Blue makes a plan and trains to do all perfectly. When writing a book, Red just sits down and writes, making all up as he goes, while Blue first spends hours on designing characters and the world.
- Force - Finesse: Mostly combat settings. Red prefers raw power to overcome his opposition, while Blue prefers deadly precision. In martial arts settings, Red will prefer a hard style that focuses on strength, while Blue will choose a style that targets the weak points of the enemy or uses his strength against him. Red will more often than not wield a BFS, while Blue will choose a weapon such as the katana or the rapier that will allow him to strike with precision.
- Viking - Samurai: A historical comparison. Red (the Viking) will bully and invade foreigners to get what they want using ruthless acts and intimidation regardless of who they harass. Blue (the Samurai) will first weaken their enemies by ruining their governments and army before even considering invasion.
- Strength - Stealth: Most settings (especially Videogames and Real Life). Red will often charge into a situation, demanding an explanation or carelessly use the strongest weapons and low-brow tactics to get the job done. Blue would rather hide and keep out of his opponents line of view, using patience and feeling the situation out before making a move despite Red often mocking his choice of combat.
- Cowboy Cop - By-the-Book Cop: Cop in field operation. Usually Red tend to be passionate and act impulsively to make the crime submission and tend to be aggressive, while the Blue try to be careful and analyse the situation and as possible try to minimize the reckless movement in the operation and try to follow the procedure as good as possible.
- Playing with Fire - An Ice Person: Elemental effects. Usually Red will play with fire, usually fire damage the enemies only externally and till internal organ and less effective which will need more firepower to kill the enemies till ash. While Blue will use Ice, even though ice isn't as destructive as fire, Ice usually damage the internal part of the enemies organ which make their bodies defense dropped critically which make them more fragile and quicker to destroy without damaging the external skin. Fire tend to make painful noise while Ice make more silent pain.
- Playing with Fire - Making a Splash: Elemental effects (alternative). Again the Red will play with fire utterly incinerating his unlucky adversaries to death in arsenic fury and destruction. However Blue may drown his foes in water, water itself may take time to potentially kill someone (or something). But even fire can't comprehend how versatile and powerful its strength can be. Drowning, crushing, sweeping and suffocating would make Blue (in this case) a lot more threatening plus let's not forgot the healing factor of water and the truth that our bodies are more or less mostly water too...scary.
- Blow You Away - Dishing Out Dirt: Elemental effects. Referring to the speed of Air and the defensive capabilities of Earth. Red manipulating air would often be more flexible, swift and maybe a little teasing to their opponents yet could only do multiple cuts and quick damage (or to the extreme choking their opponents via sucking oxygen from them). Blue manipulating earth may focus on strong, forceful attacks yet still have defence to back them up. Earth may be slow and predictable but its sheer size and creativity makes up for it.
- Playing with Fire - Shock and Awe: In combat or fantasy settings, there may be a Lightning/Fire Juxtaposition. The red oni will be using fire (see above examples) and the blue oni will use lightning, in a manner akin to Chain Lightning