open/close all folders
- In the second Superman versus Spider-Man crossover, Doctor Doom discovers that the reactor he invented as part of his master plan is about to explode, and tries to flee, only to be caught by Superman. He then shouts "Let me go! My genius must be preserved!!" (Superman didn't know about the incoming explosion at the time.)
- The Elric Saga: Darnizhaan tells Elric and Dyvim Slorm that killing him will begin the death of the world they know. They decide to do so anyway.
"Fools! In destroying me, you destroy yourselves!"
- Mistborn: The Lord Ruler. "You donít know what I do for mankind." Surprisingly, he was largely telling the truth. On the other hand, he may not have been sane enough to keep doing what needed to be done.
- The Manual of Detection: Shortly before heís shot, Arthur, the Overseer says "You know what that madman's doing to my city. To our city. You need me."
- Fallout: New Vegas: Mr. House.
- Half-Life 2: Dr. Breen tries to convince Gordon that he, as humanity's go-between for the Combine, is the only hope for the survival of the species. No one else really seems to buy it, though.
- In Portal, GLaDOS tries this. Being GLaDOS, she's not very good at it.
"Whoís going to make the cake when Iím gone? You!?"
- In Resident Evil 6 , Derek Simmons, the head of the Family tries this during his boss battle... fruitlessly.
Simmons: You... have no idea... what would happen if I DIE!!!
- In The Simpsons, after Bart and Lisa proved Sideshow Bob rigged the election to win his Engineered Public Rant ends with one of these. Essentially making this statement the source of his downfall.
Sideshow Bob: Because you need me, Springfield. Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. That's why I did this, to save you from yourselves. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a city to run.
Judge: Arrest the mayor.
Bob: *is handcuffed* What!? ...oh yes, all those things I did.