- Anvilicious: Averted, for the most part. Despite absolutely crappy lives, mostly of their own doing, no one really gives anyone a 'Suck It Up' speech. The three main characters are their own worst enemies, effusive and self-destructive (and in Simon's post-hospital state, self-loathing)
- Jerkass Woobie: Melvin. Even when he tries to be helpful, either in his own abrasive way or actually doing something kind all on its own, no one is ever grateful to him, they all treat him terribly because his mental illness bothers them, and they constantly demand he stop being so rude and confrontational to others while they feel no need whatsoever to be anything but horrible to him.
- Nightmare Fuel: Carol lives in a low-rent neighbourhood with her chronically ill son. She went home to see a Cadillac outside her apartment building... with "MD" plates on it...
- ...then, after she rushes madly to her apartment to find that the doctor is there to her son, but nothing is particularly wrong with him at the moment, she is informed that the paediatrician has been sent to attend to her son by Melvin... a really creepy jerkass customer from work who has come dangerously close to being a stalker.
- Retroactive Recognition: Jamie Kennedy, Maya Rudolph, Lisa Edelstein and Wood Harris.
- Tear Jerker: Carol's thank-you note. And her conversation with her mother during: "What is it you want, Mom?"
- The Woobie: Simon - first brutally beaten and then forced to use the weelchair. See also his backstory in Dark and Troubled Past in the main tab.
YMMV / As Good as It Gets