The story is set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, shortly after the Battle Of Yavin. Players take control of a nameless mercenary allied with another mercenary named Saponza, settling on Tatooine to build a mercenary base of operations. However, they are soon attacked by Jabba the Hutt's forces, and while they manage to fend off an attack, Jabba promises to wipe them off of the map. In response to this, the mercenaries are forced to ally with either the Rebel Alliance or the Galactic Empire, and carry out operations on a variety of planets for the organization they align themselves with.
The game is functionally similar to Clash of Clans, with a focus on base construction/management and the deployment of soldiers that act independently of the player.
This game provides examples of the following tropes:
- Absentee Actor: Luke Skywalker is nowhere to be seen in the initial version of this game. However, it's possible that this game takes place during the events of Heir to the Jedi, in which Luke is on an adventure completely separate from Han and Leia, which would make this a Justified Trope. An update for the game later added him as a playable character.
- Break Out the Museum Piece: The Rebels have access to vehicles from the Clone Wars such as the Republic AT-RTs and AT-APs, and the Separatist AAT battle tank.
- Broad Strokes: The creators have insisted that, while things like the characters, weapons, soldiers, artillery, and so on are canonical, the events of PVP matches should not be considered canonical.
- Canon Immigrant: Like many works in the "new" Expanded Universe, the game brings a selection of elements from the "old" EU into the new canon.
- The Imperial Officer in the game, Kosh, appeared previously in a pop-up book of all things.
- The Empire can build AT-MPs, which were previously shown in The Force Unleashed II.
- The Empire can recruit Phase II Dark Troopers, which were created for Dark Forces.
- The Rebels can build T2-B hover tanks, which were available to them from Empire at War.
- The Empire can deploy TIE/D Defenders, which were first shown in TIE Fighter.
- Death Troopers appeared for a Halloween event.
- The Chiss are re-canonized as they are available as new mercenaries.
- Featureless Protagonist: The titular commander (read: you) has no real background, aside from the fact that they worked with Saponza previously.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: A Downplayed Trope. At the beginning of then game, Darth Vader hires you to deal with some Tusken Raiders on Tatooine. Later, Princess Leia hires you to retake medical supplies from a cartel den. After these missions, you are forced to pick a side and stick to it.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: In the rebels story mode mission Big Game Hinting V, Johar kessen insists that you upgrade your base to level 5 or higher for the reason of it needs a trophy room
- Neutral No Longer: Jabba's assault on your base forces you to pick a side.
- Rodents of Unusual Size: Womp Rats, which are as big as wolves.
- Single-Biome Planet: Par the course for Star Wars.