Once Stung is a superhero webcomic focusing on the adventures of Cynthia Clarkson and her life as the super hero Queen Bee.
This work provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: As per superhero tradition, our protagonist Cynthia Clarkson.
- Alpha Bitch: Jessica.
- Animated Adaptation: The giant snake fight from issue two has been animated and is available on youtube.
- Batman Cold Open: The first few pages cover Queen Bee foiling a robbery before flashing back to her origin story.
- Beta Outfit: Cynthia's first costume is cobbled togeter from a yellow tank top, a wig and a cloth mask.
- Compressed Hair: In her first costume Cynthia somehow hid her more-than-waist length ponytail under a wig.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: In short order after getting her super powers, Cynthia breaks Jessica's finger, winds a football player by throwing the ball back to him and busts a hole in her bedroom wall.
- For Science!: The reason given for why Unnatural Sciences Inc. was putting so much funding into bees.
- Mathematician's Answer: When the scientists realize a genetically modified bee stung Cynthia. They say the worst that can happen is death and the best is absolutely nothing.
- Meaningful Name: The scientist in charge of the project that created the mutagenic bee is Dr Apoidea. (part of the scientific name for bees) She bitterly lampshades it as the kind of name that sticks you to one very specific career path.
- Mistaken for Pregnant: Cynthia's parents notice her weird behavior after getting super powers but come to the wrong conclusion.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: The profile describes Queen Bees foes as "a gallery of freakish super villains (And one guy named Jerry)".
- Noodle Incident: Apparently there was an incident with Cynthia's late grandmother... Now she knows what bones sound like when they reform.
- Not Quite Back to Normal: After being turned back into a human, Samantha wakes up the next day with some snake traits like a forked tongue and slitted eyes.
- Scaled Up: Queen Bee's first foe is a giant snake, formerly her friend Samantha.
- Skewed Priorities: On her first adventure Cynthia isn't phased by the presence of a giant snake in a suburb house, rather that the snake has red hair.
- Teens Are Short: Zig-Zagged. Cynthia is a short teen but the fact is treated as unusual and a magnet for bullying. Her friend Samantha is taller than Cynthia's parents, which passes without comment.