Crazy Sunshine began as a webcomic series in 2005, was renewed in 2011, and ended in 2014 after 185 strips.
In 2016, Crazy Sunshines concept shifted from a webcomic series to a collection of non-sequential excerpts, revolving around a group of unlikely acquaintances and their comedic struggle to stop the end of the universe again and again.
With new stories and retconned characters, Crazy Sunshine is no longer a webcomic, but an archive of continuously evolving creativity.
Crazy Sunshine provides examples of:
- Action Girl: The main cast of characters all boast supernatural powers.
- Alt Text: Inside jokes can sometimes be seen when moving the cursor over images.
- Anime Hair: Lacie has the spiky variety.
- Art Evolution: The characters gain multiple new redesigns throughout the years.
- Belly Mouth: Mochi is one of these for Daifuku, unfortunately for her.
- Body Horror: Mochi, of course.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The author and characters sometimes speak directly to the readers.
- Bullying a Dragon: Lacie routinely makes fun of or messes with other characters, including Candy.
- The Ditz: Shelbie, and very much so.
- Dumb Blond: Shelbie borders on Too Dumb to Live.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Despite Lacie's race being hell-bent on making the planet's dwellers miserable, she aids in saving the universe from time to time in order to protect her own hide.
- Fiery Redhead: Daifuku is an interesting play on the trope. She is a skilled swordsman that is too nice for her own good. However, being possessed by the spirit of the evil emperor Mochi, she is known for bouts of unrelenting anger, despite never having any recollection of what just happened.
- Fun with Acronyms: Shelbie's squadron name is "S.U.G.A.R", which stands for stands for the "Super Guardian Angel Regiment".
- Gadgeteer Genius: Peppermint, age 11, has made countless creations including sentient house cleaning robots.
- Girlish Pigtails: On top of being stupid, Shelbie is prone to childlike behavior.
- Highly Visible Ninja: Daifuku wears bright, diverse colors. Getting a second mouth in her gut hasn't exactly improved her stealthiness, either.
- Idiot Hair: While Peppermint has an "ahoge" she's far from an idiot. Lacie on the other hand fits the bill.
- Love Freak: Shelbie; especially with Lacie despite being on a mission to exterminate her.
- Mega Twintails: Shelbie's tails could easily cover her face if flipped over.
- Robotic Reveal: Peppermint soul is embedded into a robotic chassis.
- Theme Naming: The creator has stated that the characters are purposefully named with candy/sweets as the theme.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Candy combines this with sidetails thanks to the ponytail making her hair look short in the back.
- Wingding Eyes: Specifically of the Heart Symbol variety when it comes to Shelbie.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Sported by Lacie, Shelbie and Peppermint's robotic chassis.