Bird Boy is a fantasy webcomic set in a world where a great hero went into a forest and freed the light that the villain had trapped, and was trapped himself.
Bali, a small boy with a big bird-beak headdress, sets out hunting on his own after his elders have put off teaching him to next year. Led by a bird he stumbles on a forest where it is summer, and from there, to stranger things.
It can be read at http://bird-boy.com/. (The full archived Volumes I and II are now back on line.)
- Abandoned Area: What Bali finds in the woods.
- Art Shift: Between the Back Story, done in the style of wall or cave paintings, and the main story.
- Bears Are Bad News: One seriously threatens Bali.
- Blade on a Stick
- Cool Sword: Bali stumbles on one.
- Creepy Crows: Rooks, to be precise.
- Dark Is Evil: The Rook-Men.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The Back Story uses a limited palette of earth tones and greens.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Bali, even in snow.
- Dumb Blonde: Bali, arguably.
- Follow the White Rabbit: Bali follows a bird.
- Forbidden Fruit
- Heroic Sacrifice: The legend back story.
- The Klutz: Guess who.
- Light Is Good: The hero, the sword... and Bali is later told that the Rook Men hate the light.
- Liminal Being: The woods are even called liminal.
- Literal Cliff Hanger: The Rook-Men corner Bali on a narrow precipice.
- The Lost Woods: Where the weather changes to summer.
- Magical Land
- Nice Hat: The tribe's animal headdress/mask combos, of which Bali's bird-beak is arguably the coolest.
- Rite of Passage: Bali is denied the right to one.
- Time Abyss: Looking back to the legend.
- Webcomic Print Collection: Volumes I and II were published in 2016. Possibly for contractual reasons, the pages in these collections were withdrawn from the website, but have since been restored.