The Walking Dead Arcade is a 2017 light gun arcade game by Play Mechanix and Raw Thrills, somewhat based on the AMC series of the same name.
In it you play as a group of survivors that have taken refuge in prison complex, but it soon becomes breached by Walkers and they must escape. Curiously rather than use a gun, you use a crossbow as your main weapon though do switch between weapons as the game goes on.
The Walking Dead Arcade has the following tropes:
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: Every so often, the character POV will switch to one of three main characters. Though there's no difference between them.
- Anyone Can Die: True to the show, the survivors start getting picked off one by one in the last chapter.
- Asshole Victim: The jerkass who caused the death of a survivor to save his own skin and stole the battery ended up getting devoured by the zombies right after the Player Character reclaim the battery back from him. He is undeniably the only human who deserves such gruesome fate.
- Black Dude Dies First: Subverted, she dies last actually.
- Boom, Headshot!: The game points out that headshots take down Walkers instantly so that's where you must aim.
- Downer Ending: After going through all the trouble of getting the battery to power the escape bus. All of the survivors, including your partners, die just as they try to climb on with the player character the only one managing to get away. And even then, a Walker manages to climb on the back of the bus as he's driving off with it ambiguous if he'll manages to spot it in time before it gets to him.
- Dynamic Difficulty: In a similar way to other PlayMechanix games, the lifebar is dynamic. If you take too many hits in a short time, your health will not go down as quickly. If you haven't taken a hit in a while, the next hits (or survivor rescue fails) will remove much more health.
- Elite Mook: Every so often, you run across a Walker in SWAT gear. When you do, your character is given a handheld weapon like a wrench or crowbar, and you have to bash at the helmet until you can expose their head to finish them off.
- Hostage Spirit Link: Hitting your partners or other survivors results in life drainage. This likewise applies if you fail to save a survivor from the Walkers.
- Jerkass: The one survivor you save in third chapter. He causes the death of one of the survivors to save his own skin, steals the one working battery for the bus you need to escape and constantly tries to keep you from getting to him via Molotov cocktails.
- Real-Time Weapon Change: Through the course of the game you come across weapons and switch out occasionally.
- Ungrateful Bastard: The aforementioned jerkass who whines for someone to help him when gets grabbed climbing up a ladder. Another one rushes over to pull him up while you provide cover fire. How does he repay her? By pulling her off the catwalk into the crowd of walkers and runs off as she's devoured by them.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Naturally given its source material.