The plot is vague, but simple. You control a creature called Spewer, while the Doctor observes you. These tests are all physics platforming levels involving Spewer's ability to... spew... puke to propel himself around. Throughout the game, Spewer will be fed pills that allow him to spew clouds, high-power puke, tar and acid in five chapters of increasing difficulty (and a bonus X chapter.)
Tropes present in this game:
- Company Cross References: When taking a black pill, Spewer looks like one of Ed's previous creations, Gish.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: As the name implies, you get through the levels by spewing.
- Grotesque Cute: Doesn't apply normally, but when you die (either from hitting spikes/blades or acid) all the flesh on the Spewer gets taken off after a gush of red, leaving behind a skeleton as it falls offscreen. And it's still cute, though morbid.
- For Science!: The stats for each level sometimes coldly display some... ethically questionable statistics. Downplayed in that it's not serious criminal activity, just things like "interns fired", "ideas plagiarized" and an ambiguous "laws broken". Subverted, since he is actually trying to save his daughter.
- Hammerspace: The little Spewer can hold a LOT more vomit in him than should be possible..
- Jump Jet Pack: One of the more common uses of your spewing power. Most provide a little boost to stretch your jump height and distance, but as a red spewer, the high velocity vomit sends you flying.
- Phlebotinum Pills: They give you new puke abilities.
- Power-Up Food: Fruit, which fills up the puke gauge substantially.
- Powers as Programs: You gain various skills via pills.
- Shout-Out: Two of the levels are called "The Slip" and "With Teeth".
- Solid Clouds: The white fluid in second part, while not solid, floats unlike the other ones. The black one fits the trope more closely, since it completely stays.
- Super Spit: Your main ability. Different colours change the physics of your puke, from standard liquid, to solid black tar, to acidic yellow.
- Walking Head: Spewer is basically a head with a tiny, easy-to-overlook tail.
- Waterfall Puke: Your core ability is spewing a torrent of vomit to solve several physic puzzles.