Players would have assumed control of a young man named Drew as he progresses through the world of Draconis. Drew is bonded to and accompanied by a fire-breathing dragon called Thuban, who can be commanded in battle, carry Drew as he flies, and assist Drew in the field. Players would have been able to customize Thuban's appearance as well. The two would travel the world to defeat the powerful enemies that threaten Draconis, Earth, and a vast universe of parallel worlds. Unlike other games developed by Platinum, the game was planned to emphasize graphics and story over action.
The game was announced during E3 2014 and would go on to receive gameplay demonstrations at both Gamescom 2015 and E3 2016. Originally planned for a Holiday 2016 release, PlatinumGames later stated that Scalebound would have to be delayed into 2017 in order to "deliver on [their] ambitious vision." However, Microsoft would confirm in January 2017 that the game was cancelled, following rumors of troubled development. Nevertheless, as recent as 2022, Hideki Kamiya has expressed his desire to one day return to the project.
Scalebound provides examples of:
- Blood Knight: Drew has shades of this, as he gets very excited and plays up-beat music whenever he gets in a fight.
- Colossus Climb: When encountering large enemies, players can swing and climb on them to perform attacks.
- Dragon Rider: Drew is bonded and accompanied with a dragon called Thuban, who can breathe out fire and assist players throughout the game.
- Expy: Drew is a white-haired, headphone wearing, jacket-donning, sword wielder who mostly wields with his left hand, has an enchanted right hand that has a grapple ability, and has a One-Winged Angel-styled Super Mode. Did Nero change his name or something?
- Gameplay and Story Integration: The battle music is justified by Drew wearing his headphones mid-fight.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Drew seems to use his sword with his left hand most of the time, but switches to his right hand when delivering more powerful attacks.
- Instant Armor: The main character can apparently create one that looks like the scales of their dragon.
- The Right Hand of Doom: Drew has a dragon arm that can scan enemies for information, unleash pulse energy, and heal his dragon companion.
- Schizo Tech: For whatever reason, knights with swords coexist with portable music players.
- Shout-Out: The leader of a group of soldiers Drew encounters yells out "Team, unite up!"
- Synchronization: Unfortunately for Drew and Thuban, their lives are literally bonded. If one dies, the other is gone as well.
- Urban Fantasy: We only see a monster filled forest, a magical badass dragon rider, and knights. But said magical badass dragon rider's headphones and modern clothes, along with the Science Fantasy vibe from the knights imply it takes place in such a setting.