Revenant Saga is an Eastern RPG Mobile Phone Game released in 2014 created by Kemco as part of its line of mobile titles and developed by the EXE-Create team. Along with its mobile platforms, it is also available on Steam, Wii U, Nintendo Switch and Play Station Network.
The world is facing an unprecedented crisis as a deadly plague sweeps the land and mysterious monsters known as Revenants begin to appear. These Revenants cannot be killed by normal means and require being dispatched by someone with special power from the Order of Rystoria. But the number of Revenants only continue to increase as the Order cannot maintain its numbers against an ever-growing enemy force threatening to wipe out all of humanity.
As this goes on, a young man named Albert mourns the loss of his parents from the plague and receives comfort and support from his Childhood Friend Anna. Sadly, Anna's parents also contract the plague and, in an effort to return the favor, Albert volunteers for a medical experiment to help a wandering doctor named Dr. Moreau who is trying to cure the plague. Unfortunately for Albert, it is all a trap and the doctor has been using human experiments to create Revenants with Albert and Anna as the latest subjects. The experiment on Albert is interrupted midway due to the arrival of the Order, but he is presumed dead and buried, only to re-emerge shortly thereafter both still alive as a Revnant with his human form and the soul of a demon named Magnus inhabiting his body. Swearing revenge on Dr. Moreau, he spends the next two years as a Revenant hunter to seek him out and learn what truly happened to Anna.
This game provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Esther had been hunting Revenants solo for quite a while before meeting up with Albert. Julia becomes one after joining the party.
- Bald of Evil: Valdoren, he's Obviously Evil from the start and hasn't got a hair on his head.
- Big Eater: Albert becomes one after becoming a Revenant. As Magnus states, it takes ten times the amount of food a human would eat to sate him.
- Deadpan Snarker: Both Magnus and Bruno deliver some very snarky comments over the course of the story.
- Determinator: Dr. Moreau spent over forty years on his research in order to find a way to resurrect Julia.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: How Julia dresses. She even wields a scythe and takes on a bat-like appearance when transforming.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Albert plays this straight and wields a two-handed broadsword, even before becoming a Revenant!
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: How Albert feels regarding Anna's death. He suffers from recurring nightmares as a result.
- The Lost Lenore: Anna for Albert and for Bruno, his sister, Cecily.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Julia is the smallest party member but her strength is second only to Albert's.
- Power Gives You Wings: Esther sprouts a pair of wings whenever she transforms.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When Magnus possesses Albert, his eyes glow dark red.
- Running Gag: Every time the party encounters Ingvar, at least one member attacks him while he's in the middle of a speech.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Ingvar claims to be one of the most powerful demons in Perdition. Magnus quietly tells Albert that, as one of the actual top demons, he's never heard of him.
- Time Skip: The main game begins two years after the prologue.
- 20 Bear Asses: One story-required quest involves collecting three Land Beast Hides to repair a ship.