Niles is the only survivor of a viral outbreak that turned everyone on his island home into violent, flesh-eating savages. He's spent the years since the outbreak started in a cabin with his friend, Sixten. Sadly, Sixten has also succumbed to the infection, so Niles has him Chained to a Bed in the corner of the cabin. He's spent his days since then caring for Sixten and bringing him food.
One day, while out getting food for Sixten, Niles comes across a tent, which he soon discovers is housing a young woman named Elise. From there, a series of events soon occurs that will upend the life Niles has come to know.
96 contains examples of:
- Abandoned Hospital: Niles and Elise visit the hospital in town in hopes of finding information on the disease that spread through town, and how it can be cured.
- Apocalyptic Log: Niles and Elise find one in the form of Cherry's diary, which details what happened to her after she got released from the hospital during the initial outbreak.
- Bittersweet Ending: Niles, Sixten, and everyone else who lived on the island is dead, but Elise survived to get off the island to tell its story.
- Chained to a Bed: Sixten spends the whole of the game chained to a bed in the cabin Niles lives in.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The game is viewed in blacks and greens.
- Flashback: These occur late in the game.
- Notice This: Items that Niles and Elise can pick up are indicated by a twinkle.
- The gun in the gas station is surrounded by a glowing aura.
- One-Word Title
- Suddenly Speaking: After Elise kills Niles, Sixten actually starts making coherent words, trying to tell Niles he returns his feelings for him.
- Together in Death: After killing a soon-to-turn Niles, and then Sixten, Elise places Niles in the bed with Sixten.
- Three Quarters View: How the game's viewed.