The game epitomizes minimalism - it only has four levels that are composed of primary shapes and colors, capped off by four boss stages that can also be tackled separately. Even the player character is also represented by three primary shapes - square when immobile, circle while "walking", and triangle when jumping. It's also important to move in tune with each level's theme, as many of the platforms and obstacles are synced to it.
Tropes present in 140:
- Asteroids Monster: The first static distortion boss splits after getting hit. The two halves can then split again, and again, but then are reduced to a bunch of the same static circles they just fired at you.
- Bottomless Pits: A frequent obstacle on all of the levels.
- Deadly Walls: Blocks of static distortion instantly kill the player character upon contact.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Played straight on the normal levels, where you are not set back by much. Beating the entire game unlocks the Dark World levels, however, where a single death instantly sends you back to the hub.
- Hub Level: You select which one of the three levels and their boss stages to tackle through one.
- No Plot? No Problem!: There's absolutely no text, narration, or anything else of the kind.
- One Hitpoint Wonder: Hitting any obstacle will instantly kill the player character.
- Puzzle Boss: The third boss battle is practically a turret section, where the player character is immobile in the center and moves a triangle around the sides of the square containing them instead in order to fire. The boss itself appears as triangles of static on the sides of the square - you need to quickly locate the one triangle that has its point turned towards you and shoot it so that it flips to an "away" position like the rest, before the beat comes in and the triangles start moving in whatever direction they are turned.
- Spread Shot: The first of the static distortion bosses hovers in mid-air and fires a spread of small static circles downwards.
- Temporary Platform: Some of the platforms appear and disappear in sync with the beat.