The story begins with three young monsters named Frank, Drac and Wolfie, who return from a night of fun to discover their creator Dr. Victor Frankenstein missing and his lab destroyed. The trio then go on a journey to find their creator's brother Dr. Percy Frankenstein.
Tropes displayed in this game include:
- Asteroids Monster:The Pumpkin Boss consists of two giant pumpkins that split into smaller pumpkins after taking enough damage.
- Big Bad: The main villain of the game is Victor Frankenstein's brother Percy Frankenstein, who intended to take over Monsterland with his monster army.
- Boss Rush: You have to re-fight most of the bosses before taking on the final boss.
- Bunny Ears Picture Prank: The ending cutscene shows Wolfie giving bunny ears to Dr. Victor Frankenstein and Frank.
- Final Boss: The final boss is a giant pumpkin named Sergeant Smash.
- Frankenstein's Monster: Frank is a Frankenstein monster.
- Halloweentown: Monsterland is a world of gothic horror.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: After beating the final boss, Sergeant Smash, he crashes onto his creator Percy Frankenstein.
- Mad Scientist: Doctors Victor and Percy Frankenstein are mad scientists, with the latter being more villainous.
- Monster Mash: The three main characters are Frank, Drac and Wolfie, who are respectively a Frankenstein monster, a vampire and a werewolf. The game also features a female vampire named Drew and a mummy named Mina as unlockable characters.
- Mummy: Mina the Mummy is one of the game's two unlockable characters.
- Our Monsters Are Different: You play as kid versions of classic monsters who are on a mission to save their creator.
- Pumpkin Person: A large number of the game's enemies are pumpkin-headed creatures.
- Recurring Boss: A large number of the bosses are just variants of the Shadow Creature.
- Sequel Hook: The ending cutscene ends by heavily implying that Dr. Percy Frankenstein will come back from the dead to menace the Monster Force again.
- Take Over the World: Percy Frankenstein planned to take over Monsterland with his monster army.
- Two Girls to a Team: The two unlockable playable characters, a mummy named Mina and a female vampire named Drew, are also the only two female characters in the game.
- Unlockable Content: The game has two unlockable playable characters. Mina the Mummy is unlocked by beating the game, while Drew the Vampire is unlocked by beating the game with a Gold ranking or better.