- Actor-Inspired Element: It was Kevin Costner's idea for Whitney Houston to start "I Will Always Love You" a capella.
- AFI's 100 Years
- #65, "I Will Always Love You"
- Hey, It's That Place!: Rachel's mansion is the same mansion as Jack Woltz's in The Godfather.
- Saved from Development Hell: The film was originally proposed in the mid-'70s, starring Diana Ross and Steve McQueen, but was rejected as "too controversial". The film concept was to be attempted again in the late 1970s, with Ryan O'Neal and Diana Ross cast as the leads. The project fell through after only a few months because of irreconcilable differences between O'Neal and Ross, who had been dating.
- Stillborn Franchise: A sequel was planned, with Princess Diana to play herself opposite Costner. Sadly, it was not to be - Costner received the completed script the day before Diana died in a car crash.
- What Could Have Been:
- Rachel was originally going to sing "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" instead of "I Will Always Love You", before Fried Green Tomatoes used the former song. In fact, it was Costner who suggested "Love You" be used in the film, saying it would work better.
- Denzel Washington turned down the role of Frank in favour of Malcolm X.
- Pat Benatar, Debbie Harry, Joan Jett, Janet Jackson, Madonna, and Dolly Parton were considered for Rachel Marron.
- Kevin Costner asked Paul Newman to play his father, but he declined, as the part was too small.
- At one point, the film was going to star Rutger Hauer and Whoopi Goldberg.
Trivia / The Bodyguard