- Actor-Shared Background: Max didn't know much about his dad. In real life, Francis Capra also didn't know much about his own dad.
- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $20 million. Box office, $18.9 million.
- Cast the Expert: John Costelloe plays a firefighter in this movie. In real life, he was a firefighter for 11 years before retiring in 1998.
- Completely Different Title: In Russia, the movie was released under the loosely-translated title Called a Genie?. Romania also had a release as Say Three Wishes.
- Creator Killer: Unsurprisingly, this is director and Starsky & Hutch alumni Paul Michael Glaser's last theatrical movie, and his career would vanish for the next 5 years.
- Dueling Movies: With two films: Warner Bros.'s Space Jam in the sports arena, and Aladdin and the King of Thieves, a fellow Disney project that was the second Direct-to-Video sequel to the original 1992 animated classic, in the genie/mystical arena. Both films smashed Kazaam to pieces.
- The Foreign Subtitle: For the Italian release, the subtitle The Rap Giant was added.
- Money, Dear Boy: Shaq states this to be his reason for being in the movie.Shaq: I was a medium-level juvenile delinquent from Newark who always dreamed about doing a movie. Someone said, "Hey, here's $7 million note , come in and do this genie movie." What am I going to say, no? So I did it.
- Non-Singing Voice: During "We Genie", Max's singing voice is provided by Wade Robson instead of Francis Capra.
- Old Shame: Not in Shaq's case. He expresses no regrets about doing the film.
- Star-Derailing Role: For Shaq, of course, along with Steel, which sent his non-basketball career back to the locker room for a long time.
- Urban Legend: A surprising number of people on Reddit have discussed their memories of a similar film titled Shazaam, allegedly starring Sinbad as an incompetent genie. No such movie was ever made, with the explanations being either a vast conspiracy theory erasing its existence or (much more likely) people developing false memories based on Kazaam, perhaps conflating it with two other Disney movies that came out around the same time: First Kid (with Sinbad as a Secret Service agent assigned to protect the son of the President) and Blank Check (which has a finale set at a pool party, like Shazaam allegedly does). Distorted memories of Shazzan might also be contributing to the confusion.
Trivia / Kazaam