Mobile Frame Zero is a tabletop wargame dealing with battles that take place in the Solar Calendar setting. "Mobile Frames", mass-produced battle mecha, are the primary unit of the military, although if you can build them, tanks, infantry, and aircraft/drones are all entirely useable.
Also, all of the mobile frames you field? You build them yourself. From LEGO.
The rules can be freely downloaded from here.
Mobile Frame Zero was assembled using these tropes
- Animesque: The artwork of the characters in the rulebook seems heavily inspired by anime.
- A Mech by Any Other Name: Mobile frames.
- Built with LEGO: Evolved from the original Mechaton.
- Earth That Used to Be Better: Earth has pretty much been gutted over the centuries.
- The Empire: This is how everyone else sees the Solar Union.
- Grey-and-Gray Morality: All of the factions have made mistakes, but it's hard to view any of them as full-on "bad guys". The rules for trademark use even encourage that you ensure every faction you create is capable of negotiation.
- Interservice Rivalry: Terran Marines resent that Transit Marines get to call themselves "marines".
- La Résistance: How the Free Colonies view themselves.
- Our Weapons Will Be Boxy in the Future: Due to the boxiness of many LEGO components, most of the guns shown in the corebook are chunky pieces of kit. The bog-standard Chub's rifle gets special mention, being a chunky and rigid gun wielded by a chunky and rigid robot.
- Puppeteer Parasite: Ijad, until they find their ideal host and become symbionts instead.
- Real Robot: Virtually all frames are mass-produced, although you can still end up with significant variety across forces depending on the parts you have available.
- Scary Dogmatic Aliens: The ijad are a subversion; while they are devoutly religious, they prefer normal conversion techniques to ones relying on gunpoint.
- Spider Tank: Ijad mech design seems to begin with the phrase "four legs each".
- Starfish Aliens: The ijad resemble lumpy, flattened sea cucumbers with antennae.
- The Symbiote: The ultimate hope of any ijad is to achieve this state.
- Those Wacky Nazis: Strenuously discouraged - the copyright statement specifically asks you not to do anything Nazi-related with your mech companies or homebrew material.
- The War of Earthly Aggression: The Solar Union's only hope, at least at the moment.