- Abhorrent Admirer: Mina, William's Christmas Cake fiancee
- All Women Are Lustful: Caroline is frustrated by Robert's lack of interest in sex, so cheats on him with William.
- Back-Alley Doctor: John supplements his income by extracting teeth and selling dangerous potions.
- The Dandy: Robert
- Dirty Old Monk: The Bishop is a sexual sadist who enjoys whipping prostitutes.
- Dr. Feelgood: John takes illegal drugs, and moonlights as a Snake Oil Salesman.
- Expy of Blackadder: Robert is Edmund, the UpperClassTwit William is George, the BumblingSidekick Tom is Baldrick, Dr Hendricks is Melchett, Caroline is Bob, and Mina is Queenie.
- FrontierDoctor: Being set in the 1840s, Robert relies on MeatGrinderSurgery.
- GroinAttack: Robert removes William's bladder stones with a gruesome looking pair of forceps.
- Jerkass: Charles Dickens is smug and arrogant.
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine: Robert's apron is filthy and bloodstained.
- Mad Doctor: Robert experiments on his patients during the operation.
- OpiumDen: The Alcoholic anaesthetist John can often be found in one.
- The Pigpen: Robert's working class assistant Tom is unsanitary.
- Scary Black Man: Butterworth, the Loan Shark who frequently threatens and assaults John.
- Stupid Boss: Hendricks, the paranoid, bigoted and antisemitic royal surgeon.
- Wretched Hive: The streets outside the hospital
Series / Quacks