Jack Irish is a 2016 Australian television series based on the novels of the same name by Peter Temple. It's currently airing in Australia via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation with a total of six episodes, the first one released on February 11, 2016. The show stars Guy Pearce, Marta Dusseldorp, Aaron Pedersen and Roy Billing. According to ABC, the TV show is not connected to the television movies that have previously aired in the same network.note
Taking place in both Australia and in the Philippines, the first season has ex-lawyer Jack Irish is recruited to help in a missing person's case in Melbourne after someone was abducted in the state and the Victoria Police had no clues on solving the case. Meanwhile, a massacre mysteriously takes place somewhere in Mindanao by armed Muslim radicals. While Jack takes on the case and getting framed in the process, he finds out that the missing person's case is tied to something big going on in the Philippines. It's an Australian-Filipino co-production.
The second season starts with Jack getting involved in investigation the death of a foreign student studying in Australia after shes gets into an accident. He later checks into a pharmaceutical company that's somehow involved with a college in shady activities with ties to a series of illegal drug testing on humans. It's an Australian-Indian co-production.
The show provides examples of the following tropes:
- Far East Asian Terrorists: The Muslim radicals in Mindanao when they shot up an entire village in the 1st episode.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: In a G-Mail page, the death of Lakshmi Agarwal was recorded to be in 2015, which is when the first season started. The second season's first episode showed a title card of three years later, making in 2018 when the second season starts.
- From Bad to Worse: Jack not only investigates the death of a couple of international students, but he realizes that a doctor he knows has her husband funds a scientist who goes rogue and hides before he's killed.
- Minor Crime Reveals Major Plot: The missing person's case and frameup job done to Jack leads him to investigate the case further to the Philippines in the first season.
- The second season starts with a vehicle accident after a foreign student somehow wanders into its path.
- Police are Useless: The Victoria Police weren't able to get major clues to solve a missing person's case, which is why Jack Irish was recruited to solve it.
- Reality Ensues: Due to Jack stumbling onto a motel room with the dead corpse of a kidnapper and a loaded weapon nearby when VP officers raided it, it wouldn't be that hard to assume that he had something to do with it.
- Shown Their Work: Since some of the scenes were shot in the Philippines, you can expect to hear correct and proper Tagalog.
- During a reception party hosted by the Australian embassy, a guest notes that the plan to create a power plant may not solve tensions between native Muslim and Christian communities since the latter would mostly benefit from it.
- Western Terrorists: Jack investigate the case that leads to an Australian fighting for Muslim radicals somewhere in the Philippines.